Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-02-2013, 10:47 AM   #1
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

Headphones?

I am moving from a nice huge office.... to a tiny cube. so I need to get rid of my speakers, and get headphones. Im looking for the best bang for the buck, as I will be wearing them 6-7 hours a day 3 days a week. thoughts?

I have earbuds, but on my last flight they stated hurting me ears after hour 4. Im in no rush, but want to make a GOOD purchase.

GIT R DUN!!!

claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 11:03 AM   #2
General Mike
Pro Starter

I like the new style iPod/iPhone EarPods.

Apple EarPods with Remote and Mic - Apple Store (U.S.)

I have them in my ears all day at home, and they never bother me.

I know I always have bigger problems with over the ear headphones hurting after significant time.
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 12:17 PM   #3
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

I have way more pairs of headphones than I should admit. What kind of music do you listen to? Do you prefer buds vs. over-ear vs. on-ear? Do you need noise isolation and/or cancelling?

A nice set of on-ear headphones for the price is the Creative Aurvana Live headphones: Amazon.com: Creative Aurvana Live Headphones: Electronics I use them in my office and can't hear the guy in the office next to me...which is a good thing. They have good all-around sound, but they're not my primary cans. They're a little big for me.

I like these for in-ear phones with a bit of isolation. I actually use them at the gym. For an additional $10 or so you can get the one with the in-line mic: Amazon.com: Logitech Ultimate Ears 350 Noise-Isolating Earphones - Dark Silver: Electronics

I do like the sound of Bose headphones for some music (more of my classical and softer-rock type stuff) and find these to be amazingly comfortable. But they don't offer any sound isolation. And the version with the in-line mic is terrible (I had 2 sets and sent both back to Bose): Amazon.com: Bose IE2 Audio Headphones: Electronics

These are my current headphones and I love 'em. They also keep out the office next door but are comfortable and smaller than the Creative ones. They also sound really good with electronic type music, which is what I've been listening to a lot lately: Amazon.com: Beats Solo HD On-Ear Headphone (Dark Blue): Electronics

And if you need true noise cancelling, I'd recommend the full-size Beats or the Bose QC15's. For me, the noise cancelling makes my ears feel...weird. Like I'm swimming or something. Haven't tried the full-up Beats (imagining how they are based on my Solo's) but I do have the QC15's when I fly.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 12:38 PM   #4
path12
Coordinator

I love these:

Amazon.com: Thinksound ts01 10mm High Definition Passive Noise Isolating Wooden Headphone (Black/Chocolate): Electronics

On my second pair. I also listen at a cube probably 7 hours a day. Plus I had a problem with my first pair, they took it back with no problem and replaced it within a couple days -- really good customer service, and I just like supporting smaller companies.
Old 06-02-2013, 01:56 PM   #5
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

thanks all!

TK I think i need noise cancelling.... but im not sure, havent sat in a cube for a while. I listed to a wide variety, techno, country, deathmetal, opera, jam. all depending on mood!

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:54 PM   #6
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

If you can spare the $, I'd say give the Creative cans a try. I'm not a fan of how big they are when I have to put them on my neck (like when someone walks into my office). But they sound good overall for a wide variety of of music and a relatively inexpensive.

Then if you find you need more, I'd go for the Beats or the Bose (or V-Moda Crossfade, another one I hadn't mentioned before).

Also, you might find it helpful/a better listening experience to use a line-out device and amp, such as these from FiiO. Amazon.com: FiiO E6 Portable Headphone Amplifier - Black: Electronics and Amazon.com: FiiO L9 L-Shaped Line Out Dock (LOD) Cable For iPod and iPhone: MP3 Players & Accessories

/tk
Old 06-03-2013, 06:27 AM   #7
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

One other suggestion. Lifehacker has done a few "best headphones" articles for different things. I definitely recommend you look there, they've had some good stuff.

/tk
Old 06-03-2013, 06:52 AM   #8
Comey
College Starter

Bose are awful and overpriced. They are excellent at marketing, but not making headphones. The QC-15s are nice, but you can do so much better, and for a lot less.

Look at Audio-Technica. The ATH-50s are excellent, and you can find a pair for a hundred or less.

would also look at Shure and Sennheiser. A great website for research is head-fi.org .

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:12 PM   #9
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comey View Post
Bose are awful and overpriced. They are excellent at marketing, but not making headphones. The QC-15s are nice, but you can do so much better, and for a lot less.

I see this sentiment all over, and I've come to think of it as mostly fanboy-ism, along the lines of what you see for Sony vs. Microsoft or Apple vs. Android. I will agree that there are less expensive options out there, but having tried no fewer than 30 pairs of headphones of various types and across the spectrum of cost (including multiple pairs over $150 in the so-called "audiophile" spectrum), the Bose don't deserve the rep they get. It is absolutely true that they are somewhat range limited. The adage of "if it's got no highs and it's got no lows it must be Bose" definitely seems true for my bass-heavy music (I don't listen to much on the other end of the spectrum, my music is mostly bass-heavy or mid-range). But as far as "general range" for common stuff like Mumford & Sons and such, I've found the Bose to be supremely comfortable and for 256k "general range" music, I've found it to be better than a lot and more comfortable than almost anything else, especially for long durations (long flights, long days at work, etc). Now if you're talking about listening to vinyl or lossless-ripped stuff..then we get into other discussions.

That said, if true noise cancelling isn't needed, I'm not sure I'd recommend anything WITH active noise-cancelling, including the QC15's. Sennheiser has a good reputation but I've had issues with every pair I've owned (and I think they're ugly, but that's another matter). Speaking of ugly, Grado gets a lot of love, too...I've never tried them but have heard good things. And they're relatively inexpensive. I forgot about the AudioTechnica stuff; they're too big for me (too heavy, too hard to wear long-duration for me), but they also get mentioned a lot.

I would almost stay away from head-fi.org, at least at first. It's got a lot of info but it can be overwhelming. There are a lot of opinions, and a lot depends on factors that are somewhat individual (your ears, comfort, quality of music you're listening to, etc). I'd start with a smaller subset (recommendations here, recommendations at Wired or Engadget or Lifehacker or other "consumer" type sites) then go from there.

/tk
Old 06-03-2013, 05:13 PM   #10
rowech
Pro Starter

These are what I have (they're wireless) and I love them...

Bluetooth Headphones by JayBird : Bluetooth Stereo Headphones : Bluetooth Stereo Headset Headphones : iPhone Bluetooth Headphones : iPod Bluetooth Headphones : Jaybirdgear.com

Last edited by rowech : 06-03-2013 at 05:14 PM.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:16 PM   #11
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Which ones do you have, rowech? I saw those advertised at my gym and LOVE the idea of wireless headphones for the gym....was wondering how they were in real life.

/tk
Old 06-03-2013, 05:22 PM   #12
RainMaker
General Manager

I'm a pretty big fan of Sennheiser. Good quality and relatively affordable if you aren't going for their super high end stuff. They are the one brand I found that seems to fit perfectly.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:28 PM   #13
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
Which ones do you have, rowech? I saw those advertised at my gym and LOVE the idea of wireless headphones for the gym....was wondering how they were in real life.

/tk

I have the Freedom Sprint ones. Couldn't bring myself to buy them at $170. The only knock I have is the battery life is about 6-7 hours which isn't hateful but you have to then charge them up once a week essentially. Not horrible but definitely wish I could get twice that battery life.
Old 06-03-2013, 05:35 PM   #14
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
I have the Freedom Sprint ones. Couldn't bring myself to buy them at $170. The only knock I have is the battery life is about 6-7 hours which isn't hateful but you have to then charge them up once a week essentially. Not horrible but definitely wish I could get twice that battery life.

Not to completely threadjack, but do you use a heart rate monitor or anything? I've found that turning on BT on my iPhone seems to cause the gym equipment with built-in heart rate monitor not always catch the signal...though my watch reads it fine...

/tk
Old 06-03-2013, 05:46 PM   #15
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Not to completely threadjack, but do you use a heart rate monitor or anything? I've found that turning on BT on my iPhone seems to cause the gym equipment with built-in heart rate monitor not always catch the signal...though my watch reads it fine...

/tk

I don't use any type of heart rate monitor.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:33 PM   #16
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

This seemed relevant, showed up in my RSS feed today.

How Do I Choose the Best Noise Cancelling Headphones?

/tk
Old 06-03-2013, 08:16 PM   #17
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
If you can spare the $, I'd say give the Creative cans a try. I'm not a fan of how big they are when I have to put them on my neck (like when someone walks into my office). But they sound good overall for a wide variety of of music and a relatively inexpensive.

I had the $40 Creative ones and they were really good. Eventually the cord got frayed after years and one of the ears just stopped working. I got my money's worth out of them for sure.

Also depends what you do in your cube. I worked on a team, and while most of the stuff I did was independent, there was often people coming to my desk to ask a question. I usually would only put one ear bud in so that I would feel aware of who was around me. I definitely would not want noise cancelling in that environment.

Now I have a cheap pair of Skullcandy $30 ones and they do the job. When I want more quality at home I have a nice Sony set of headphones and it lets the music shine through.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:39 PM   #18
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I have had 3 pairs of JayBird SportsBand Bluetooth headphones in the last 18 months or so. I bought the first pair and the other 2 were warranty replacements. The most recent pair broke again a coupe weeks ago but they won't replace them this time, the best they would offer was $50 off another pair from their online store.

Anyways, I loved them, they were awesome for running and the sound was decent, but the quality control is clearly not very high and their 'lifetime warranty' is not as great as it sounds. Buyer beware.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:54 PM   #19
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
I have had 3 pairs of JayBird SportsBand Bluetooth headphones in the last 18 months or so. I bought the first pair and the other 2 were warranty replacements. The most recent pair broke again a coupe weeks ago but they won't replace them this time, the best they would offer was $50 off another pair from their online store.

Anyways, I loved them, they were awesome for running and the sound was decent, but the quality control is clearly not very high and their 'lifetime warranty' is not as great as it sounds. Buyer beware.

I've had my pair for almost three years and not one problem. (Knock on wood)
Old 06-04-2013, 09:15 PM   #20
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I see this sentiment all over, and I've come to think of it as mostly fanboy-ism, along the lines of what you see for Sony vs. Microsoft or Apple vs. Android. I will agree that there are less expensive options out there, but having tried no fewer than 30 pairs of headphones of various types and across the spectrum of cost (including multiple pairs over $150 in the so-called "audiophile" spectrum), the Bose don't deserve the rep they get. It is absolutely true that they are somewhat range limited. The adage of "if it's got no highs and it's got no lows it must be Bose" definitely seems true for my bass-heavy music (I don't listen to much on the other end of the spectrum, my music is mostly bass-heavy or mid-range). But as far as "general range" for common stuff like Mumford & Sons and such, I've found the Bose to be supremely comfortable and for 256k "general range" music, I've found it to be better than a lot and more comfortable than almost anything else, especially for long durations (long flights, long days at work, etc). Now if you're talking about listening to vinyl or lossless-ripped stuff..then we get into other discussions.

That said, if true noise cancelling isn't needed, I'm not sure I'd recommend anything WITH active noise-cancelling, including the QC15's. Sennheiser has a good reputation but I've had issues with every pair I've owned (and I think they're ugly, but that's another matter). Speaking of ugly, Grado gets a lot of love, too...I've never tried them but have heard good things. And they're relatively inexpensive. I forgot about the AudioTechnica stuff; they're too big for me (too heavy, too hard to wear long-duration for me), but they also get mentioned a lot.

I would almost stay away from head-fi.org, at least at first. It's got a lot of info but it can be overwhelming. There are a lot of opinions, and a lot depends on factors that are somewhat individual (your ears, comfort, quality of music you're listening to, etc). I'd start with a smaller subset (recommendations here, recommendations at Wired or Engadget or Lifehacker or other "consumer" type sites) then go from there.

/tk

I'm probably as big an audiophile as you'll ever find, and as big of a Bose hater as has ever existed...no highs, no lows....and better sound though marketing.

That said their around ear qc15 and qc3 (non noise cancel) are as good of headsets as I've found. All their on ears sound tinny to me. But their around ear are solid, I'll agree.

That said, the beats you mentioned...yuk. Good bass response, speed and depth but nothing else. Like to the point that talk radio infuriates me listening through the key pair of beats I've ever tried.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:44 PM   #21
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Hah! I'm on an electronic/dance music thing lately...the beats work quite well for that. Never listened to talk on 'em though, or much of anything else now that I think on it. Maybe some Pink and Offspring. Been on a major techno kick.

/tk
Old 06-05-2013, 07:07 AM   #22
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Dola,
I've never tried them but a friend on Twitter who plays with headphones as much as I do--if not more--just posted that the Sennheiser HD598's are the best cans he's ever owned.

His recommendation is enough to make me ponder them, despite my previous bad experiences with Sennheiser.

/tk
Old 06-05-2013, 09:32 AM   #23
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I just purchased a pair of GoGroove AirBands to replace my dead JayBird SB1s. They look identical to me from the pictures (I bought them from newegg) and I wouldn't be surprised at all if they are the same headphones just marketed differently. And half the price.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:03 AM   #24
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Sennheiser, Grado and my favorite brand AKG are my recommendations. I spent a lot on my headphones because I like to produce music on the laptop while the fam is asleep.. But the AKG K701s are friggin amazing for sound quality. The only complaint I have for them is that the top headband can get a little uncomfortable, but that would be easily remedied with a small bit of extra padding on them.

Edit: The AKG K701 is pretty much only limited as far as how good the hardware is that the music is coming from. The range on these things after they're broken in is ridiculous. I hear parts in songs that I never knew were there before. I want to get an amp for them so I can experience the true power they possess.

Also, as stated in many reviews, the bass is a little thin. I find that to be a good thing, because it keeps things more clear. It is still there, just rarely in an overpowering way.

FUCK EA

Last edited by Julio Riddols : 06-05-2013 at 10:16 AM.
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 12:18 PM   #25
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
I'm probably as big an audiophile as you'll ever find, and as big of a Bose hater as has ever existed...no highs, no lows....and better sound though marketing.

Better Sound through Marketing. Bose in a nutshell.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 02:23 PM   #26
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Oh yeah...ca,e back just to mention this after I just got back from an 8 day cruise and only packed my "old" headphones in case they got damaged....I forgot how damn good the klipsch s4 sounds...for ~50... They are a deal
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:12 PM   #27
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Take it for what it's worth. I recently was turned onto the MDR-V6 by a coworker (and like the sound over a range of music, though the headphones themselves are not very light and make my ears "hot"), but this just showed up in my Twitter feed: The Best $150 Over-ear Headphones | The Wirecutter

The winner was the Sony MDR7506 (which looks like it can be obtained inexpensively and was rated better than the MDR-V6 which can be obtained even more inexpensively). The AudioTechnica ATH-M50 also did well.

/tk
Old 06-18-2013, 10:21 PM   #28
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

let's hear more about terpkristin's cans