Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-19-2011, 06:57 PM   #1
Thomkal
Head Coach

Falling Skies starts tonight

a bit of a late notice here, but just in case you missed it, Falling Skies, the new Steven Spielberg sci-fi, aliens invade Earth, series starts tonight at 9pm EST, and repeated again later in the night. It's on TNT.

TNT - Falling Skies: Home

Last edited by Thomkal : 06-19-2011 at 06:58 PM.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 06:58 PM   #2
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Have it on the DVR, ready to record

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 07:00 PM   #3
Thomkal
Head Coach

Yep on the VCR here-I have my doubts about Noah Wyle as the lead, but with Spielberg behind it, I'm hoping it will still be good.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:54 PM   #4
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Thanks for the heads up. Thought it looked like it had potential, but like you said, Noah scares me. We'll see.

Just set the DVR.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 08:01 PM   #5
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Great reminder - I wanted to catch this but hadn't set my DVR...JUST got online for the first time today and saw this thread up at the top of the board and was able to set it to record so I can check it out just as it started!!!

Thnx!!
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 09:19 PM   #6
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Hey - Noah Wylie's group is coming west of Boston towards me!! Cool - hooray for series being set it Boston area!!!
Old 06-19-2011, 09:26 PM   #7
Thomkal
Head Coach

glad I could help guys hope the show was worth it now lol
Old 06-19-2011, 09:28 PM   #8
Swaggs
Coordinator

DVRed this tonight.

Think I'm going to go with the hour-long Game of Thrones and watch this one sometime this week.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 10:18 PM   #9
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

This show is suffering from a lack of exposition - no idea of when the aliens invaded, or what's up with these "harness kids" or anything. Like we've just been dropped in the middle of it.

But I think I did miss the opening minute maybe (I opened with them looking at some pictures), so maybe that was in there???
Old 06-19-2011, 10:21 PM   #10
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Yep on the VCR here

Typo, or do we need some kind of intervention?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 10:52 PM   #11
Desnudo
Coordinator

Slow pacing, terrible acting. Interesting plot, but they need to fix a lot, starting with getting rid of the ER guy.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 07:58 AM   #12
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Typo, or do we need some kind of intervention?

If intervention means you'll pay for DVR service from Time Warner for me, then yes by all means I need an intervention.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:33 AM   #13
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Finished watching the first episode. I thought it was solid, but not great. Perfect for Summer though where there is very little else on worthwhile to watch on television. If it was on during the fall, there would be no way to keep this show in the rotation, but it was good enough for me to enjoy keep watching so far at least.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 04:23 PM   #14
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Biggest new series launch of the year on cable, with 5.9m total viewers that blew away the 5.2m for Walking Dead.

Catch is that in spite of the total number Skies was 35% lower than WD in the 18-49 demo. The majority of Skies audience was 50+ & the numbers could take a hit when the show heads to it's regular 10p timeslot.

“Falling Skies” Premiere Tops “The Walking Dead” Premiere in Viewers, But Lags Well Behind In Demo - Ratings | TVbytheNumbers

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 06-20-2011 at 04:24 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 04:50 PM   #15
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
The majority of Skies audience was 50+ & the numbers could take a hit when the show heads to it's regular 10p timeslot.

Yup. They usually have dinner around 4PM and are in bed by 8.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 05:10 PM   #16
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
Yup. They usually have dinner around 4PM and are in bed by 8.

Nah, that's just the 70+ portion.

But later start times do tend to hurt older skewing shows consistently (to varying degrees). Why do you think there are successful 10p newscasts on some east coast affiliates these days, they're catching the folks who wouldn't/couldn't stay up 'til 11p. The older demos also have slow but steady declines in PUT (Persons Using Television) as the night goes on, starting around 930p IIRC.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 06-20-2011 at 05:10 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 05:16 PM   #17
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

I didn't think Noah was that bad.

I'll be watching.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 05:18 PM   #18
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Nah, that's just the 70+ portion.

But later start times do tend to hurt older skewing shows consistently (to varying degrees). Why do you think there are successful 10p newscasts on some east coast affiliates these days, they're catching the folks who wouldn't/couldn't stay up 'til 11p. The older demos also have slow but steady declines in PUT (Persons Using Television) as the night goes on, starting around 930p IIRC.

Dang, that's right. Whew, I still have a few years left before it's nothing but creamed corn and an 8 o'clock bedtime.

Yea, I don't see too many in that age demographic watching a show that won't be over until 11PM. I haven't watched it yet (DVRd it last night), but, unless there's something to grab a younger group, not sure how long those numbers will hold up.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 05:46 PM   #19
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauboy1 View Post
I didn't think Noah was that bad.

I'll be watching.

I didn't either. I always thought he was decent in the cheesy Indiana Jones movies TNT put out as well.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 07:56 PM   #20
Thomkal
Head Coach

I just finished watching it on the old vcr, and it was okay-I liked the first hour a lot better than the second-I could have done without that whole scene in the armory and the addition of the new character there, but it does look like he'll be an interesting (and annoying) counterpoint to the resistance leaders. Personally I hope the aliens get him sooner rather than later. One really dumb moment I thought was when the resistance moved en masse in broad daylight and then camped in the clearing. It's already been shown the aliens have a lot of air support-so why then weren't they seen and attacked? I think they are trying to make it seem they are only attracted to loud noises and bright lights, but I'm not buying it.

Noah Wyle was better than expected, especially when they made him a history nerd instead of some war hero or politician, maybe because I'm a history nerd too. He does have natural charisma from his ER days which makes him a more believable leader. The doctor character is also good, liked her since her Journeyman role.

Right now the plot is pretty generic-it looks like they are going to delve into the nature of the aliens pretty quickly so I'm hoping there's something interesting there and then of course the mystery of those poor harness kids.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:28 AM   #21
Rizon
Pro Starter

I liked it. I really like Noah Wyle. I like the characters and the story. I'm hoping they get into the character building and back-story too, but just not in the corny, terribly done "Lost" kind of way. Speaking of Lost, that one rebel guy reminded me of Sawyer ... he just seemed a little too much like a carbon copy and it was a bit predictable. But overall I liked the show.

Hopefully it stays on. I typically don't watch shows from the beginning anymore and only catch them after they've been on for a few years. The last two shows I watched from the beginning that stayed around ... Malcom in the Middle and X-Files. Everything else was cancelled. I guess people don't like what I like :\, which makes shows hard to get into unless they've been around.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.

Last edited by Rizon : 06-21-2011 at 10:29 AM.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 08:33 AM   #22
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

I liked the show. Thought Wyle did a good job. I hope they kill off Will Patton. I just don't like his character. I like Patton, but I like him better in roles like Armageddon or Remember the Titans. This role reminds me more of the Postman.

I thought the second hour wasn't as enjoyable as the first hour. All of the humans managed to go the entire 1st hour without doing something entirely stupid, and then they start off the second hour with something incredibly stupid right off the bat (the dog scene).

There just wasn't enough conversation between the characters about the huge structure in downtown Boston or other things occurring around them. I would like them to expand upon what the characters think is happening. It would also be nice for them to occasionally go into a structure and not be attacked. The aliens can't be everywhere right?

The story has me interested. It is on my DVR list for now. Some improvements and I could see this becoming must watch for me. Some set backs and I could see myself forgetting that it is even on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
This show is suffering from a lack of exposition - no idea of when the aliens invaded, or what's up with these "harness kids" or anything. Like we've just been dropped in the middle of it.

But I think I did miss the opening minute maybe (I opened with them looking at some pictures), so maybe that was in there???

A lot of back story was given in the first minute in the form of those pictures.
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 08:43 AM   #23
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantom1979 View Post
I liked the show. Thought Wyle did a good job. I hope they kill off Will Patton. I just don't like his character. I like Patton, but I like him better in roles like Armageddon or Remember the Titans. This role reminds me more of the Postman.

I thought the second hour wasn't as enjoyable as the first hour. All of the humans managed to go the entire 1st hour without doing something entirely stupid, and then they start off the second hour with something incredibly stupid right off the bat (the dog scene).

There just wasn't enough conversation between the characters about the huge structure in downtown Boston or other things occurring around them. I would like them to expand upon what the characters think is happening. It would also be nice for them to occasionally go into a structure and not be attacked. The aliens can't be everywhere right?

The story has me interested. It is on my DVR list for now. Some improvements and I could see this becoming must watch for me. Some set backs and I could see myself forgetting that it is even on.

A lot of back story was given in the first minute in the form of those pictures.

motherfucker. Guess I missed some/a bunch of it then as I was a smidge late setting the DVR
Old 06-22-2011, 10:42 AM   #24
Bako
H.S. Freshman Team

I haven't seen the show, but they killed it for me by playing the dang commercial (preview) so many times on TNT.
Old 06-24-2011, 06:35 AM   #25
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
motherfucker. Guess I missed some/a bunch of it then as I was a smidge late setting the DVR

Do you have Comcast by chance? I noticed last night that the pilot is now in their On Demand.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:18 AM   #26
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Do you have Comcast by chance? I noticed last night that the pilot is now in their On Demand.

FIOS - but good point...I should check that out and see!
Old 06-27-2011, 01:24 PM   #27
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Lost 25% of the audience vs the premiere, down to a 1.5 A18-49. It still outperformed the lead-in Leverage which only did a 1.0 in the same demo.

“Falling Skies” Falls 25% With Adults 18-49 Rating + “Leverage” Premiere Numbers - Ratings | TVbytheNumbers
Old 06-27-2011, 01:32 PM   #28
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Well that's too bad. FWIW I enjoyed this episode more than the premiere.
Old 06-27-2011, 01:45 PM   #29
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I couldn't make it past 20 minutes of the premiere before I gave up. To cliched and uninteresting. Like they were really beating the cliche in, over and over. Which is a Spielberg hallmark with me.

Last edited by jeff061 : 06-27-2011 at 01:46 PM.
jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:42 AM   #30
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Anybody still watching this still?

I made it through to the end. It was tough to get through but I did it. It was all right.. nothing that will probably last too long.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 09:01 AM   #31
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Yeah - I still tune in...despite some of the cardboardy characters (the militia leader for one).

Wouldn't say it's super-high on my must-see-tv list or anything, but it's a decent popcorn-show. I was a bit surprised by the end of the season finale (both the revelation about the skidders and also the final scene) - I do hope we at least get (part) of a season 2 so they can flesh that out a bit more.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:01 AM   #32
rowech
Pro Starter

I finished the season. I think its biggest problem is that every week it's the same thing over and over. I thought there were a couple of interesting twists along the way though. If it was on during the regular TV year I would have bailed on it for other stuff but for summer TV, it's just something to watch I guess.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:15 AM   #33
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
I finished the season. I think its biggest problem is that every week it's the same thing over and over. I thought there were a couple of interesting twists along the way though. If it was on during the regular TV year I would have bailed on it for other stuff but for summer TV, it's just something to watch I guess.

Yeah - it wouldn't fit during the year in my schedule, but for summer it's mindless fun (along with the rest of Sunday night TV).
Old 08-09-2011, 10:36 AM   #34
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:

I made it through to the end. It was tough to get through but I did it. It was all right.. nothing that will probably last too long.

I'm watching - its not truly 'inspired' but its 'ok' ...

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 08-09-2011 at 10:37 AM.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 07:54 AM   #35
jeheinz72
Pro Rookie

I actually really enjoyed it. With the "Summer TV" caveat mind you, but enjoyed it nonetheless. I'll be looking forward to it next Summer
jeheinz72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:32 AM   #36
Easy Mac

It was OK, especially considering it was a TNT show. It was better than The Walking Dead, but that doesn't take much.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:08 AM   #37
Sebastian Palkowski
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
It was OK, especially considering it was a TNT show. It was better than The Walking Dead, but that doesn't take much.

Really? I think Walking Dead is a great show and I'm really looking forward to the 2. season but Falling Skies is just Blah, the story so far is stupid (here in Germany we are at episode 7, I don't know if the show is finished in the USA) and after each episode we have to motivate us to continue watching it. I will watch the rest of the first season but I'm not sure if I will continue with the 2. season.
Sebastian Palkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:38 AM   #38
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

The finale ended up with the highest audience since the premiere, including a 27% jump in A18-49 to get to a 1.9 (premiere was a 2.0), so that's an encouraging sign I'd think.

‘Falling Skies’ Averages 5.6 Million Viewers in Season Finale; Most Since Premiere - Ratings | TVbytheNumbers
Old 06-02-2012, 12:54 AM   #39
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Season 2 starts on Sunday, June 17th. Saw a preview for it tonight at the movie theater.
Old 06-02-2012, 12:59 AM   #40
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Falling Skies Season 2 Extended Trailer by teasertrailer
Old 06-17-2012, 01:22 PM   #41
Thomkal
Head Coach

Just a bump to remind everyone this starts tonight-looks like two episodes, so be sure to set your DVR accordingly.
Old 06-17-2012, 07:07 PM   #42
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Yep. 2 episodes tonight. 9pm and 10pm.

Looking forward to it - fairly good mindless fun last season, and it seems from what I've read that maybe they recognized some of the problems with Season 1 and have addressed them.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:53 PM   #43
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

For a 3rd season sci-fi(ish) show that pulls decent ratings, Falling Skies has relatively poor buzz here at FOFC.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:59 PM   #44
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
For a 3rd season sci-fi(ish) show that pulls decent ratings, Falling Skies has relatively poor buzz here at FOFC.

I haven't watched the latest episode yet. So far I'm cool with the addition of these new aliens and the mystery about them and all. Not to mention the advanced-baby.

It's a popcorn show. I try not to overuse my brain with it, but I do like the visuals when they're doing say "ruined Charleston" or "ruined Boston suburbs" and the plot has been cool. Some of the characters are...wooden still, but i try not to be overly critical.

I like it. Not GREAT or anything, but I mean it's good enough that I DVR it at a very crowded time on Sunday nights, which I don't need to do at all.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:34 PM   #45
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

I hadn't noticed it'd restarted - quite enjoyed it so far though.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:42 PM   #46
rowech
Pro Starter

I feel like so far, this season has been extremely good. I had become a bit bored by things but I like the number and diversified story lines going on right now.
Old 06-18-2013, 01:14 AM   #47
DanGarion
Coordinator

Still enjoying it.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote