Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-21-2013, 06:36 PM   #1
weegeebored
High School Varsity

Ping: Guitar players/teachers

I want to learn to play the guitar for my own enjoyment. I played keyboards for years when I was younger but always felt that I would have gotten more out of playing guitar. My goal is to play old school rock at some point. (To give you an example of what I mean by old school, I used to buy UFO and Scorpions on import vinyl.)

Anyway, I always thought that I should learn acoustic first as that would build up finger strength. But recently I have heard that if the goal is to become proficient at rock electric guitar then that's what one should learn on. So, I am asking the FOFC musical braintrust for an opinion.

I would also be interested in guitar recommendations as well. Nothing real expensive as I might not stick with it, but something good for a beginner. And any other recommendations that seem appropriate. Thanks.

weegeebored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:42 PM   #2
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

I taught myself with a crappy acoustic and a Mel Bay book but that was before the internet. Google/Youtube should be all the help you need. You can't go wrong learning acoustic first.

To start I suggest practicing until you can play whatever chord you want without thinking.

Depending on your budget, buy the cheapest thing that feels playable. If you don't stick with it, you aren't out much money. If you do stick with it, trade it in on a better guitar or sell it on Craigs List. You won't be a better player by having a better guitar just like buying expensive golf clubs doesn't make you a better golfer.

Whatever you do, enjoy!

Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:15 PM   #3
Mota
College Benchwarmer

I taught guitar for 4 years and have played for 33 years. Most of my students would learn accoustic first as you get a good feel for the instrument without the addition of amplifiers and effects. If you can make the instrument sound good without all the effects, you can always make it sound good. Plus when playing accoustic guitar you'll develop better callouses on your fingers which will help out.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:52 AM   #4
Jughead Spock
High School Varsity

Echo what Mota & BG said. Learning/playing on an acoustic is nothing but good for you, no matter what you end up doing. To me, it's a much better way to learn fingerings, chords & intervals, and yeah, builds up your finger strength.

As for electrics, it's stunning the amount of gear you can get for cheap these days. I've been impressed with ESP LTD a lot lately. Maybe something like this, given your inclination for the Schenker brothers.

ESP LTD EC-10 Electric Guitar | Musician's Friend

Or for a little more, you can go full-on Schenker -

http://shop.deanguitars.com/p/michae...chael-schenker

And for a cheap amp, the Fender Mustang line is pretty impressive. I have a Mustang III and it's perfectly giggable. If you just want a cheap practice amp, try this maybe -

Fender Mustang I 20W 1x8 Guitar Combo Amp | Musician's Friend

Last edited by Jughead Spock : 01-22-2013 at 03:00 AM.
Jughead Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:53 AM   #5
Jughead Spock
High School Varsity

dola... if you're into gaming at all, or even if not, RockSmith is pretty cool and does have some appreciable use for learning/practicing.
Jughead Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:24 AM   #6
Lonnie
High School Varsity

I would recommend justinguitar.com

He gives free lessons and has a whole beginner course to get you up to speed.

He even has a video on What guitar should I buy?
Old 01-22-2013, 10:35 AM   #7
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead Spock View Post
dola... if you're into gaming at all, or even if not, RockSmith is pretty cool and does have some appreciable use for learning/practicing.

I have to second this. As a long time guitar player, I was pretty well pleased by how good Rocksmith is.

My only other piece of advice...learn songs that you like. Playing Twinkle Twinkle Little Star a million times is boring. Play songs that you like and it makes the learning experience much more enjoyable.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:09 AM   #8
Icy
Pro Starter

Another vote for Rocksmith game, it'¡s fun and you can learn to play a real guitar as it is what you use to play with an special cable that comes with the game, not like the rockband games where you play with a plastic one with buttons instead of strings.

You are lucky as today is way easier to learn and enjoy playing guitar than it was 20 years ago when i did.

Now you have tons of youtube videos teaching you step by step every song you could imagine, free and paid online sites and courses, to either learn basic guitar or in whatever style you want.

I learned directly with an electric guitar and mainly to play rock, as like you, I was mainly into rock/punk/metal, both old and new. I tried the acoustic route and found it so boring, while plugging an electric guitar into a cheap amp, i could sound like the bands i liked.

The negatives is that after 20 years just playing it, it's the only style i know, I have the speed in the hands, the creativity etc for the styles i like, but if i try to play pop or any other style, i fail as i lack some of the chord progressions knowledge, not that i care much.

Self teaching anything is mainly about self motivation to do it, so the most important factor imho is to have fun from day one, else you can get bored and frustrated so fast.

I started from zero, just with a few books i bought online and mainly listening and playing over records of the bands i like. I had a lot of fun, formed a bad in my twenties that lasted for 10 years and that had some success in the metal scene in Spain, playing in front of big crowds opening for known bands, even if we never made money and was always a hobby.

Now 10 years after our last show, we have reunited again when we are closer to our forties, and i feel like in my twenties again, just with more money so i have bought all the expensive gear i couldn't afford when i was younger

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:53 AM   #9
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Mrs. Glen here:

If you choose to start with acoustic, a good place to find one is at your friendly local music store that specializes in lessons.

At Christmas, we picked up a 3/4 size acoustic for our 8 year old son to learn guitar on. The total on the guitar was under $100, although 'retail' was $125ish. I checked the local Guitar Center and they had a higher retail price and no one mentioned discounts. Also, the local guys have a program that, when its time to upgrade, we can return the original one, and get 100% of our purchase price toward our next instrument.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:37 PM   #10
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
I would recommend justinguitar.com

He gives free lessons and has a whole beginner course to get you up to speed.

He even has a video on What guitar should I buy?

Second this....I got an Esteban Guitar a couple of years ago and tuned out after one of his DVD's, I found this sight and this is where I go now.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:02 PM   #11
boberot
High School Varsity

I'm a self-taught hack who has been playing about 3 years now.

I researched and researched and thought I knew what I wanted, but once I got to the Guitar Center and spent about an hour and a half futzing with various acoustics, all the research went right out the window.

I kept coming back to this really inexpensive Fender - with a laminate top, no less - that just sounded so nice and so warm. It was about half the cost of what I was prepared to spend, but I just couldn't get away from it.

The moral of the story? There's just no substitute for having the guitar in your hands and spending some time with it before deciding what you want.
boberot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:02 PM   #12
weegeebored
High School Varsity

Thanks so much for the good responses. I stumbled on justinguitar.com through Youtube so I was indeed going to start there. I have watched a couple of videos just to see what they were like. He was one of the people that had mentioned learning on an electric if the goal was to play rock, but it looks like most are in favor of going the acoustic route first.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:38 AM   #13
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

From my experience, it is all about what will make you stick with it. If you want to play classic rock, then get an electric guitar and start learning songs that you like. I think you are more likely to practice and enjoy what you are doing. That will make you stick with it.

If you do go acoustic, you may want to think about something with a low action. It can be very difficult to play chords with a high action, until you build up finger strength.

Either way, if you practice regularly and stick with it, you will learn how to play!
Grammaticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:57 AM   #14
scooter
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by weegeebored View Post
Thanks so much for the good responses. I stumbled on justinguitar.com through Youtube so I was indeed going to start there. I have watched a couple of videos just to see what they were like. He was one of the people that had mentioned learning on an electric if the goal was to play rock, but it looks like most are in favor of going the acoustic route first.

My wife has been teaching herself how to play for just over a year now (I don't play myself). She has been using the Justin Guitar videos along with Marty Schwartz. She takes it slow and tries to practice some every day. I've been really impressed with how far she has come along and her excitement to continue.

Back in college she wanted to learn to play the saxiphone so she took lessons from a grad student for a year. I don't think she enjoyed it nearly as much, and I haven't heard her play it again in almost 20 years. So for her to continue with these lessons, on her own, at her own pace, is pretty impressive to me.

Good luck and I hope you stick with it!
scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:00 PM   #15
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

How is the learning coming weegee?

I played guitar for about 12 years then just gave it up. Now, 15 years later I want to play again but I forgot just about everything. I picked up Rocksmith and I am having a fun time playing. I am a little frustrated because easy chord progressions which I know I used to do in my sleep are hard as hell now and I suck all over again.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:39 PM   #16
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Been playing for almost 15 years which seems crazy when I think about it. I'm getting old!

Not sure if I'm too late to the party, but as far as guitar recommendations go, going with a relatively cheap Squier or Epiphone won't do you wrong. There's a lot of really crappy brands out there, and Squire and Epiphone are basically entry-level versions of Fender and Gibson, but there's some decent options that don't suck.

If you're going for old school rock, I'd start with an Epiphone. I find Epiphone/Gibsons much better for hard rock music, where I find Fender better for more intricate picking for slower sort of stuff. Of course, this varies from player to player.

Epiphone especially has some nice low-end stuff.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone...70-i1150096.gc

If you wanna go cheaper, then a Squier is probably better. As for amps, just get something cheap until you find it's something you're going to get into. From there, good luck...if you get really into it, you'll find gear piling up around you.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:41 PM   #17
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Also, I'd go with electric to start. It's actually easier to play in my opinion.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:15 AM   #18
weegeebored
High School Varsity

I actually haven't made a purchase yet. I sooooooo want to learn but I'm afraid that I won't find the time to practice. I really need to do this because it's kind of a bucket list thing for me. More specifically, I want to be able to play the Schenker's solo from Rock Bottom by UFO. (Old guy, old school.) And, of course, there's a bigger song list that I would love to learn, and every time I hear one of those or watch a vid on YouTube I get motivated again.

I also have been considering going back to keyboards because I have been asked to do so, and I definitely won't have the time to practice both.

Thanks for bumping this thread as now I feel psyched again. But the post that Marmel just made is a little intimidating. I guess that I have this delusion that I'm going to be more than a hack. I think that the fear of being bad is preventing me from picking it up in the first place.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:04 AM   #19
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by weegeebored View Post
I actually haven't made a purchase yet. I sooooooo want to learn but I'm afraid that I won't find the time to practice. I really need to do this because it's kind of a bucket list thing for me. More specifically, I want to be able to play the Schenker's solo from Rock Bottom by UFO. (Old guy, old school.) And, of course, there's a bigger song list that I would love to learn, and every time I hear one of those or watch a vid on YouTube I get motivated again.

I also have been considering going back to keyboards because I have been asked to do so, and I definitely won't have the time to practice both.

Thanks for bumping this thread as now I feel psyched again. But the post that Marmel just made is a little intimidating. I guess that I have this delusion that I'm going to be more than a hack. I think that the fear of being bad is preventing me from picking it up in the first place.

I don't think my post should intimidate you. If you have played keyboards, then you already know you can't pick up an instrument and start playing songs in a few days. I've had Rocksmith since Saturday and I have played it for 2 sessions so far. I can already play to a few songs with single notes and 2 note chords, and a few parts even sound like the song. You just have to build up some finger strength and muscle memory then you can focus on learning specific songs. Nobody says you have to be a music theory expert to play some rock songs.

I used to have a couple really nice, expensive guitars back in the day, which I sold when I quit playing. More recently I picked up a Fender Squire with a small amp for about $150-$200 and honestly, this is a really nice guitar. It sounds good, it is easy to play and so worth the money. I doubt I would need to upgrade anytime soon for what I plan on doing with learning guitar. Really, I am amazed that they can make sure a great guitar and sell it for so little $$.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:39 AM   #20
boberot
High School Varsity

Yeah, don't be intimidated. Even 10 or 15 minutes a day goes a long way. I have my guitar out on a stand, and every time I have a few minutes to kill, I pick it up and mess around. Your music theory background and inherent sense of musicality / rhythm from playing keys will serve you well, IMHO.

Plus, you can get a ton of mileage out of learning just three chords.
[Nail down A, D & G and you can practice by noodling through a shit ton of stuff.]
boberot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:57 AM   #21
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

Another noob question...at what point does getting a better guitar make sense, if at all? I picked up a Made in Mexico Fender Strat and Rocksmith a year and a half ago and still play both four or five times a week. I've wondered if a better guitar would make any difference for my motivation and/or skill. Does it pretty much come down to the player at the end of the day?
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:19 AM   #22
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaxab View Post
Another noob question...at what point does getting a better guitar make sense, if at all? I picked up a Made in Mexico Fender Strat and Rocksmith a year and a half ago and still play both four or five times a week. I've wondered if a better guitar would make any difference for my motivation and/or skill. Does it pretty much come down to the player at the end of the day?

Well... a better guitar won't make you a better player, it's mainly about the player, you won't notice a big difference playing at home with your PC, playing loud plugged to a real guitar amp is another thing (or not).

A way better guitar might feel more comfortable to you, and help a little but imho buying a better guitar is more about the sound of it, unless yours is garbage and not properly adjusted, that could make it harder to play it.

Another totally different thing is the other you mentioned, motivation, a better guitar can help a lot.. if you think so... it does for me.

I have one of the most expensive guitars you can have not custom made, i still consider myself an average player, but when i play it loud plugged to my very expensive amp along with my band mates, i feel i'm the best metal player

That feeling you have right now it's called "GAS" between guitar players, it means Gear Acquisition Syndrome, and it means you are really getting into guitar playing, you won't ever be happy again until you have the most expensive gear you can buy, and you still will dream about the better one you can't afford

At the end is like very hobby and GAS applies to all them, you see average sunday bikers with $7000 professional bikes, average dorm room guitar players that expend $10000 in equipment, kids (and adults) buying the most expensive computer and mouse to play an FPS, etc. Why? because it's a hobby, you enjoy it and you are not supposed to be very reasonable but to enjoy it as much as possible, and if it means expending money, and you can afford it, go for it!

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:19 PM   #23
dzilla77
High School Varsity

For acoustic guitars a better guitar will definitely make playing more enjoyable. Especially if its a Taylor or other acoustic known for its "playability".
dzilla77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 01:18 AM   #24
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaxab View Post

I actually like the Mexican Strats a lot. I have an American, which I got when I was playing for about two years or so. In my opinion playing both, it's an upgrade...but it's not a huge upgrade. I'm sure others will think differently.

Now, a nice Les Paul on the other hand...
Old 05-25-2013, 01:19 AM   #25
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

And I'll second the GAS concept. Watch your wallet.