Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-14-2013, 01:38 PM   #1
Galaxy
Coordinator

Mavericks to crowdsource their uniform design

Help The Mavs Design Our Next Uniform ! « blog maverick

Last edited by Galaxy : 05-14-2013 at 01:38 PM.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 01:39 PM   #2
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Is this so he can save more $$ to invest on Shark Tank??
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 02:53 PM   #3
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

He's probably been to boards.sportslogos.net and realized other people can do a better job and that some sucker would rather get "some free tickets" than be "duly compensated" for their work. Figures.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 05-14-2013 at 02:53 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:13 PM   #4
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Drachma View Post
He's probably been to boards.sportslogos.net and realized other people can do a better job and that some sucker would rather get "some free tickets" than be "duly compensated" for their work. Figures.

It's brilliant, really. Great marketing and PR, and was a way to really engage your fan base.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:42 PM   #5
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I've watched my bosses spend a bunch of cash with some expert marketing gurus to come up with new logos and new business names and the mediocrity of the return astounded me. A few of us spent 15 minutes throwing out business names with several sounding much better to me than anything they had paid big bucks for.

Where I'm going with this is that if I was Cuban I'd also rather get ideas from a large group of enthusiastic people than a handful of overpaid 'experts'.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:49 PM   #6
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
I've watched my bosses spend a bunch of cash with some expert marketing gurus to come up with new logos and new business names and the mediocrity of the return astounded me. A few of us spent 15 minutes throwing out business names with several sounding much better to me than anything they had paid big bucks for.

Where I'm going with this is that if I was Cuban I'd also rather get ideas from a large group of enthusiastic people than a handful of overpaid 'experts'.
+1

Worst case, you get nothing worthwhile and have to pay a design company what you would anyway. Best case, you get something great pretty much for free.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:05 PM   #7
cuervo72
Head Coach

"We want some new ideas that stay true to our logo"

I'm not even sure this is a full redesign.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:18 PM   #8
mckerney
Coordinator

I think it could work out better if there was a cash prize for winning. It could probably even be significantly less than what it might cost to hire a professional firm but still enough to attract more people to submit something with just the chance to get pride and maybe some tickets.

From what I've seen with how Team Fortress 2 and Dota 2 farm out their artwork in this kind of way it could work very well though. There's been some amazing stuff that's come from this sort of method for those two games.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:27 PM   #9
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post

Nike (Woman who designed Nike swoosh explains story of its inception 40 years ago | Mail Online, Apple, Virgin, JetBlue (JetBlue | Airlines | brandchannel.com) didn't exactly build their names and logos out of fancy design/branding firms.

There is a member here is an amazing designer when it comes to team logos and uniforms, and I would buy 99% of the stuff he makes over a lot of crap I see from real sports. Besides, teams seem to be handling their design decisions over to Nike and Under Armour, who are just horrible at designing. What a great method to get a chance to see how your fans think when it comes to logos and uniforms?

Last edited by Galaxy : 05-14-2013 at 10:29 PM.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:42 PM   #10
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

I see nothing wrong with going about it this way. Like Galaxy, I've seen a ton of mock up or new re-branding for teams that fans do an it's much better than what you usually see. You are telling me no one could have made the Brooklyn Nets jerseys?

Who knows, maybe someone chases their dream by being the winning selection. You know, designer of the Mavericks 2015-16 jersey looks pretty good on a resume when you go to minor league teams for remaking a brand for them. It's basically how Jason and Casey got their start @ Plan B Branding (now Brandoise). Jason told me he sent letter to every minor league club and only one responded, the West Tennessee Jaxx. They worked that ass off that summer and the team bought their designs. Since then they have redone what seems to be 50 teams including the Cincinnati Reds (Spring training font is theirs and the new running man).

To see the entire 43 parts of the re-branding of the Mr Redlegs go to Domain Names, Web Hosting and Online Marketing Services | Network Solutions and just search Reds and go back to 2009 when they posted everything. Jason is a guy who chased his dream and got lucky but all it takes is one break. Now they are working with Mattel and other companies instead of sticking with just baseball teams.
murrayyyyy is offline   Reply With Quote