Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-12-2013, 06:58 PM   #1
Izulde
Head Coach

Mother's Day Parade Shooting in New Orleans

19 wounded in New Orleans Mother’s Day parade shooting — RT USA

19 injured, 12 with gunshot wounds.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)

Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:16 PM   #2
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Conspiracy by Obama to take away our guns!!!!

Hope all are well, which early reports sound like there have not been any deaths so that it as least a good sign (as much of a good sign that can come from something like this that is).
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:13 PM   #3
StLee
High School Varsity

Damn.....

Softball in Korea 1 and 2: http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...softball+korea + http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...ad.php?t=83736
StLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:20 PM   #4
Groundhog
Coordinator

Yikes. I've already said to the girlfriend that when we're over in the States in Oct/Nov this year, if we happen to stumble upon any sort of parade/festival/marathon/public event, we are going to run screaming in the opposite direction.

Last edited by Groundhog : 05-12-2013 at 08:21 PM.
Groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:29 PM   #5
Tigercat
College Starter

Well, as a tourist or someone who doesn't live in this specific neighborhood, this isn't the type of parade that you would find yourself involved in. This is a neighborhood specific second line parade (calling it a march would be a more appropriate description for outsiders), where most participants and spectators would either be from the neighborhood (central city) or have connections to it. These types of local marches are a unique part of New Orleans cultural tradition, a shame that a few of them have been ended with random violence over the past decade.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:41 PM   #6
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

If only the 12 people shot had been carrying fully automatic weapons this would never have happened. This message has been brought to you by the NRA.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:25 PM   #7
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Yikes. I've already said to the girlfriend that when we're over in the States in Oct/Nov this year, if we happen to stumble upon any sort of parade/festival/marathon/public event, we are going to run screaming in the opposite direction.

I can see the headlines now...

"Australian terrorists captured while fleeing scene, plot foiled."

"Suspects to be detained as enemy combatants."

"Ties to an organization only known as FOFC.... all that is know about this group is the swift and brutal punishment that members face if they even look at a woman that is not clothed from head to toe."

"FOFC leader suspected to be a black man who wears red, white and blue underwear."

"Beware, the group may be both cocky AND funny."

"FOFC has attempted to purchase aircraft carriers, submarines, castles... plot to rule the world discovered."

"One member thinks the Raiders once looked good in the preseason.... must be a coded message as part of the plot."

"Unknown group plays murder games, something they call werewolf in which members are brutally murdered for fun."

"Group values post count. FBI has uncovered the coded reference post count is actually weapons count."

"Commies play a soccer game. In a blatant strike against all things good, the group holds a soccer game in high regard. The threat to our way of life is great."
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:27 PM   #8
molson
General Manager

Your odds of being killed in an urban American neighborhood march/party are lower than my odds of being eaten by a crocodile in Australia.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:59 PM   #9
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Hmm... I'd say it'd be more helpful to just start running in the opposite direction if you end up in any section of New Orleans outside the French Quarter and tourist areas. This was a gang shooting in a neighborhood that had a triple homicide last week, not anything related to terrorism or a spree killer.

Now, watching parades and marathons are pretty boring in my mind, but festivals and some large public events (sports, concerts, etc) are generally a great time, and there are thousands of those every day with no problem. Don't let the media's obsession with promoting the one time out of a million things go bad fool you.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:09 PM   #10
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Your odds of being killed in an urban American neighborhood march/party are lower than my odds of being eaten by a crocodile in Australia.

What are my odds of being eaten by an urban American in Australia?
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:44 PM   #11
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post

"Ties to an organization only known as FOFC.... all that is know about this group is the swift and brutal punishment that members face if they even look at a woman that is not clothed from head to toe."

"FOFC leader suspected to be a black man who wears red, white and blue underwear."

"FOFC has attempted to purchase aircraft carriers, submarines, castles... plot to rule the world discovered."

"One member thinks the Raiders once looked good in the preseason.... must be a coded message as part of the plot."

"Unknown group plays murder games, something they call werewolf in which members are brutally murdered for fun."

"Group values post count. FBI has uncovered the coded reference post count is actually weapons count."

"Commies play a soccer game. In a blatant strike against all things good, the group holds a soccer game in high regard. The threat to our way of life is great."

Old 05-12-2013, 11:55 PM   #12
Groundhog
Coordinator

I should point out that I was joking and I'm not really even the least bit worried.

In Sydney I live in the largest and (unfortunately) most infamous Muslim-heavy town in the country, which also happens to have (without verifying it) the highest number of gun-related crimes too - thankfully all gang-related with no innocent bystanders caught up in any of it in recent years. It would of course pale in comparison to the bad neighbourhoods of, say, the United States with maybe one murder every couple of months, but still, for Sydney it's pretty bad considering how close it is to the CBD.

There's places in every country in the world where you should really avoid, and even if you find yourself going someplace you wish you hadn't (...which has happened a few times for me), acting sensible is generally enough to stay out of trouble...
Old 05-13-2013, 02:09 AM   #13
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:

A+.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:28 AM   #14
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:

This was really funny EF, well done. I never knew we were so dangerous around here...
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:49 AM   #15
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

This story and the reaction in both the press and on here begs an iteresting question. (At least to me)

Should the coverage of all events like this be this small and disinterested? Or is it sad that since it is most likely black and gang related that we don't care and make jokes?

I will give three scenerios and you tell me (honestly) what the reaction on both here would be and in the national media. (And we will assume the same result, 12 shot, none dead but several seriously wounded)

1. This situation
2. Victims white in a shopping mall or school
3. Assailants(s) Muslim

So should Anderson Cooper and the world news be in New Orleans or are some of the other events overblown? Or the other way around and is the lack of interest in the story sad?

Last edited by panerd : 05-13-2013 at 08:50 AM.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:01 AM   #16
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
Should the coverage of all events like this be this small and disinterested? Or is it sad that since it is most likely black and gang related that we don't care and make jokes?

It's reality. This is, albeit on a larger scale, business as usual in N.O. This is the 3rd shooting in the city under similar circumstances since January

Five people were wounded in January after a Martin Luther King Jr. Day parade, and four were wounded in a shooting in the French Quarter in the days leading up to Mardi Gras.

Quote:
So should Anderson Cooper and the world news be in New Orleans or are some of the other events overblown? Or the other way around and is the lack of interest in the story sad?

Honestly, mostly none of the above.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:31 AM   #17
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by britrock88 View Post
A+.

agreed - EF in top form
Old 05-13-2013, 03:46 PM   #18
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Awesome post.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote