Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-07-2013, 09:03 PM   #451
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Penn States got lots of exposure too; so did USC, Miami, OSU, etc.

Well USC certainly got exposed in the Sun Bowl
Old 01-07-2013, 09:04 PM   #452
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

LMFAO, from @AaronMurray11
Quote:
"Aj McCarrons girlfriend needs to become a Dawg fan #dawgsontop"

http://www.usatoday.com/story/gameon...riend/1816283/

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 01-07-2013 at 09:06 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:06 PM   #453
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Penn States got lots of exposure too; so did USC, Miami, OSU, etc.

I'm not sure that's the right kind of exposure

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:12 PM   #454
MrBug708
Head Coach

Too bad Oregon crapped the bed vs Stanford and the refs crapped the bed in the Stanford-ND game
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:13 PM   #455
Logan
Head Coach

Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:18 PM   #456
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Too bad Oregon crapped the bed vs Stanford and the refs crapped the bed in the Stanford-ND game

More like too bad Baylor beat Kansas State.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:20 PM   #457
bob
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
... and the refs crapped the bed in the Stanford-ND game

I'll point out that if the refs did (incorrectly) call that 4th down play a TD, it would just have meant another OT, not a Stanford win.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:20 PM   #458
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
More like too bad Baylor beat Kansas State.

K-State's relevance has already been established.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:22 PM   #459
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
K-State's relevance has already been established.

Yeah but they'd be in the title game without that loss, I don't care if they are good or not, just that they'd have kept Alabama from being in the top two of the BCS rankings.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:23 PM   #460
bob
College Starter

As an ND fan, this year kinda feels like a bit of payback for the weird bad luck ND has had since the beginning of the Charlie Weis era that seemed to cost the team 2 games a years. This time the luck all went ND's way, but really they were probably just a 8 - 4 or 9 - 3 team with a 12-0 record. I don't think they are THIS far behind Alabama, but Golson looks lost, they can't tackle, and they are just lost in the moment and too far behind.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:24 PM   #461
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
Yeah but they'd be in the title game without that loss, I don't care if they are good or not, just that they'd have kept Alabama from being in the top two of the BCS rankings.

And that would have been the biggest farce of all.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:26 PM   #462
Logan
Head Coach

DARNELL DOCKETT ‏@ddockett

Aye @_KatherineWebb hit me (240) 464-4150 when game over, lets go to wing stop then King of diamond, ��
Old 01-07-2013, 09:27 PM   #463
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
And that would have been the biggest farce of all.

Word. I'm not talking about what I think is right or fair in that situation, just how the system works and might have benefited the team I root for had K-State won that game.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:44 PM   #464
cuervo72
Head Coach

Dockett has a MD area code??
Old 01-07-2013, 11:23 PM   #465
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Somewhere tonight Mike Price was sitting in front of a TV and cursing his own poor judgment.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:30 AM   #466
Butter
Coordinator

Must admit I had a bit of schadenfreude watching Notre Dame get beat quite so badly. So I guess for me, it was win-win in the BCS Championship game.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:58 AM   #467
booradley
High School Varsity

I thoroughly enjoyed this beatdown. Watched the whole dang thing.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:59 AM   #468
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I was much more impressed with Dee Milner than Manti Te'o in that game.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:04 AM   #469
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Why be a fan of somebody who suffers from performance anxiety?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post

ND fans kept going "look at that" when 'Bama made plays like this. It's like they had no clue of the talent level ND was facing. I wondered how ND would handle somebody like Lacy and they did poorly. My only surprise/disappointment was not seeing Yeldon break off for a huge TD run.

I kind of have to wonder how T'eo's stock is doing after a game like that.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:07 AM   #470
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Huzzah rewarding mediocrity!

They had a piece on the news tonight on how the level of self-centeredness has gone WAY up among college kids. 1/4 of them could be classified as narcissists. More than ever consider themselves above average in ability, drive, self-confidence. My wife quipped that maybe it's all those trophies we gave them for accomplishing nothing.

edit: but yeah, if they want to have one more game, whatever.

I think the recruiting process should get the most blame for that.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:11 AM   #471
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Draft stock doesn't move as much these days as you might think due to any one gameday performance. Pro days, combines, and interviews seem to be becoming more and more crucial as time goes on. If he can show sound technique and measurables in front of the pro scouts, his draft stock will be fine. However, if his performance on the big stage was the result of the lack of quickness/reaction to tackle the big boys, then that will show up in front of the pro scouts.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 01-08-2013 at 09:14 AM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:16 AM   #472
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Lacy and Yeldon exploited the ND defense by cutting back on a ton of plays. ND penetrated early, but they overpursued a ton and got burned.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:25 AM   #473
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
However, if his performance on the big stage was the result of the lack of quickness/reaction to tackle the big boys, then that will show up in front of the pro scouts.

That's sort of what it looked like to my untrained eye.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 01-08-2013, 10:27 AM   #474
Logan
Head Coach

From Daniel Jeremiah of NFL.com, who is pretty awesome with this stuff.

Manti Te'o still first-round pick despite rough BCS title game - NFL.com

Quote:
I don't envision Te'o's stock tumbling quite as dramatically as one might expect after Monday night's poor play. Teams that run a 3-4 defense might be a little concerned about Te'o's inability to use his hands to get off blocks, but that's something that can be taught and improved upon. What this game might prove is that he is best suited to play in a 4-3 scheme, in which opposing offensive guards would be covered up and unable to get a clean run at him.

I'm still certain Te'o will be a first-round draft pick. He will excel during his interviews with individual teams, and his leadership abilities and intelligence will elevate his stock. Everyone has a bad game or two during their career; NFL teams won't overreact to the Monday night massacre.

Some discussion of other guys from last night in there too, if you're interested.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:31 AM   #475
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Then you wonder how some players, namely qbs without the brains, accuracy or toughness can get drafted so high despite going through the combines and pro scouts.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:34 AM   #476
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
From Daniel Jeremiah of NFL.com, who is pretty awesome with this stuff.

Manti Te'o still first-round pick despite rough BCS title game - NFL.com

Some discussion of other guys from last night in there too, if you're interested.

I never thought Te'o would fall out of the first round. But, as a Lions fan, sitting there with the 5th pick overall and a horrible defense...
Old 01-11-2013, 10:48 AM   #477
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Changes are a-comin'

As bowl attendance dips, college football leaders mull changes - College Football - Stewart Mandel - SI.com
Old 01-11-2013, 11:22 AM   #478
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
Why be a fan of somebody who suffers from performance anxiety?

ND fans kept going "look at that" when 'Bama made plays like this. It's like they had no clue of the talent level ND was facing. I wondered how ND would handle somebody like Lacy and they did poorly. My only surprise/disappointment was not seeing Yeldon break off for a huge TD run.

I kind of have to wonder how T'eo's stock is doing after a game like that.

Early 1st prior to this game and mid/late first at best post game.. Alabama is the closest to NFL-caliber talent he faced in college and he got schooled.
Apathetic Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:06 PM   #479
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

I'm not exactly sure how happy I would be if the Big Ten targets another California bowl and the NY one. I know the Little Caesars Bowl has Big Ten and MAC connections for the area, but I would think they would try to build that bowl up more to bring in some of the upper tier teams in to play some Big Ten schools. The bowl has been around since 1997, and the Big Ten has played in it 3 times although my guess is MSU would have played there this year if OSU and PSU were eligible.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:18 PM   #480
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
I'm not exactly sure how happy I would be if the Big Ten targets another California bowl and the NY one.

I can help you with half of this...you won't be happy with the NY one. It's nice for people to come see NYC during Christmas week, but as for the game experience, it's horrendous. Just like watching all football games in baseball stadiums.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:19 PM   #481
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Just like watching all football games in baseball stadiums.

I dunno, the Georgia Dome is just about the worst football viewing experience I've ever come across ... and I've sat in HS stadiums with 60 year old bleachers only on one side.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:25 PM   #482
Logan
Head Coach

I don't doubt you. But Yankee Stadium, where the only seats close to the action are in the end zone, is horrendous.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:36 PM   #483
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I can help you with half of this...you won't be happy with the NY one. It's nice for people to come see NYC during Christmas week, but as for the game experience, it's horrendous. Just like watching all football games in baseball stadiums.

And I can't imagine sending one of the better teams in the Big Ten there either so it's still going to be a bottom tier bowl game with teams having 6-6/7-5 records.

I do find it odd to complain about the lack of teams coming to play in the Big Ten area for bowl games and then talk about switching from Florida based bowls to a Cal one and then take the worst northern one when you have one already in your backyard that's vastly unused by you. Yes, New York is obviously way better than Detroit for a destination, but at least with an indoor bowl game you have the chance of more than under 30K showing up. I'm guessing something even on the level of PSU vs. Clemson would outdo CMU vs. WKU by a lot.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:39 PM   #484
Kodos
Resident Alien

The NY location would work pretty nicely for me. In general, would like to see more northern bowls.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:41 PM   #485
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Nah, we need 3 of the 6 playoff feeder bowls in SEC country (4 if you want to count the Cotton bowl but that's a stretch as it's more UT-OU territory than A&M or Arkansas).

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 01-11-2013 at 12:41 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:42 PM   #486
molson
General Manager

Quote:
I don't doubt you. But Yankee Stadium, where the only seats close to the action are in the end zone, is horrendous.

It does look like a terrible in-person viewing experience but I bet they'll continue to do well attendance-wise if they can keep getting participants from the northeast. Fans and alumni from colleges in that area aren't used to being able to drive to see their team in a bowl game. And there is just something about NYC. I was in town for the game, I didn't want to actually attend, but it was lot of fun to see it at a bar filled with Syracuse fans, and it was fun to see Syracuse colors around town all weekend. I wouldn't have any interest in doing that same kind of weekend in Orlando or El Paso.

Last edited by molson : 01-11-2013 at 05:54 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:25 PM   #487
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Strange stat for Texas in the bowl season.

9 of their opponents this season played in bowls.

They went 4-0 in the regular season against teams that won their bowl games.
They went 1-4 in the regular season against teams that lost their bowl games.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:20 PM   #488
Logan
Head Coach

So here's a crazy story. Not sure where else to put it...

Manti Te'o's Dead Girlfriend, The Most Heartbreaking And Inspirational Story Of The College Football Season, Is A Hoax
Old 01-16-2013, 03:35 PM   #489
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:

Was coming here to post this.

All I can say is, WHAT?
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:38 PM   #490
Thomkal
Head Coach

Wow yeah crazy is just the tip of the iceberg on how to describe it if its true.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:51 PM   #491
Easy Mac

This has to deserve its own thread.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:14 PM   #492
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Draft stock doesn't move as much these days as you might think due to any one gameday performance. Pro days, combines, and interviews seem to be becoming more and more crucial as time goes on. If he can show sound technique and measurables in front of the pro scouts, his draft stock will be fine. However, if his performance on the big stage was the result of the lack of quickness/reaction to tackle the big boys, then that will show up in front of the pro scouts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
That's sort of what it looked like to my untrained eye.
He shows up at 241 (down from his ND listing at 255) at the combines, and ran a 4.82. And he isn't going to do the bench press, it is being reported. And a 9'5" broad jump. I'm not sure he's looking like a 3rd round pick...
Old 02-25-2013, 09:50 PM   #493
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
He shows up at 241 (down from his ND listing at 255) at the combines, and ran a 4.82. And he isn't going to do the bench press, it is being reported. And a 9'5" broad jump. I'm not sure he's looking like a 3rd round pick...

ESPN was saying if his numbers hold on during his pro day he'll slip to the 2nd round.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:26 AM   #494
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Small, slow and stupid is no way to go through life.