Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-02-2003, 11:30 AM   #1
Swaggs
Coordinator

.400 Software Questions

Was doing some searching today and finally did a little info gathering and bookmarked the two byproducts of the .400 split.

I see that Inside The Park still seems to be a way off from OOTP Developments, so I went on over to the new .400 site to see what is cooking, beyond TPF, there. I now have a few questions.

I see that that Faceoff Hockey is available for purchase for $34.99. I knew that .400 had a hockey sim in development, but had no idea that it had been released. When did it go on sale? Is it worth buying? Any reviews out there?

I also see that Total Pro Basketball is scheduled to be released in November '03. I am not the biggest pro basketball fan, but I really like the concept of a customized online basketball league. Seeing different playing styles (Defensive/Thug teams vs Flashy/Run-and-Gun Teams) and finding the players to fit those moulds (if implemented properly), combined w/ smaller rosters, no minor league to manage, a draft w/ readily-able players and a relatively fast paced season would make pro basketball an ideal online league, in my opinion. Anyone know anything about the progress of TPB?

Thanks in advance.

Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 11:36 AM   #2
Kevin
High School JV

Faceoff does not have full career play. It seems mainly for replay commish leagues. Don't buy without trying the demo to se if it's your cup of tea.

As to TPB, the best source of information is on 400's message board. It looks very promising, but also probably warrants trying a demo or at least waiting for others feedback after the release.
Old 11-02-2003, 11:39 AM   #3
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

I picked up the hockey game but I have no idea why. There is no manual at all, the option for bringing up an online manual just brings up a "page not found" screen, and the interface is god awful. It's like they are just daring you to try to figure out how to use the options, and laughing at your attempts.

It also has no career play. It's replay only. To really use it for an online league it would need a much better report generating option.

It's the poster boy for first generation software.

Last edited by EagleFan : 11-02-2003 at 11:40 AM.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 11:48 AM   #4
Ramzavail
College Starter

I played the demo for the hockey game and I really didn't like it at all.
Ramzavail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 12:23 PM   #5
ScottVib
High School Varsity

To fix the page not found error for the online help files rename "Index" to "FOHelp"

As noted the game doesn't feature a full career mode at this time. FaceOff was added to the team to late in their development to implement the full suite of features typically found in a .400 release, and it wouldn't have been fair to tell Jim and Rick that they couldn't release the game they had promised their existing fan base.

Next years edition will have the full suite of features you typically expect from a .400 Studios product.
ScottVib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 01:12 PM   #7
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

dola: I just went to the Help folder and it's empty. Did I miss an install file or patch somewhere?

Nevermind, found what download I did wrong with the help file. I have one .400 software folder that is where the TDCB stuff is and the hockey one is just 400 (withing the point). I had unzipped them into the other 400 folder.

Last edited by EagleFan : 11-02-2003 at 01:16 PM.
Old 11-02-2003, 01:33 PM   #8
rexallllsc
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by EagleFan
I picked up the hockey game but I have no idea why. There is no manual at all, the option for bringing up an online manual just brings up a "page not found" screen, and the interface is god awful. It's like they are just daring you to try to figure out how to use the options, and laughing at your attempts.

That made me lol
rexallllsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 01:37 PM   #9
damnMikeBrown
College Benchwarmer

It makes me scared for the football game
damnMikeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 01:55 PM   #10
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

Quote:
Originally posted by damnMikeBrown
It makes me scared for the football game

I wouldn't be. And my thoughts, at the very least, are that if TPF's release lacks anything, our input will make next years version that much better.
Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 02:21 PM   #11
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, I wouldn't base buying TPF off the hockey game. Different set of developers and it seems to be getting much more beta time. I'm still going to wait based on the TDCB thing, but I am cautiously optimistic.

The football support looks much better, I've seen questions go days without a reply on the hockey forum but they seem quick to respond on ideas and concerns in the football forum.
Old 11-02-2003, 10:14 PM   #12
Swaggs
Coordinator

Thanks to all.

Anyone have any insider info on Total Pro Basketball?
Old 11-02-2003, 10:15 PM   #13
ScottVib
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally posted by Swaggs
Thanks to all.

Anyone have any insider info on Total Pro Basketball?

I do.
ScottVib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 10:29 PM   #14
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by ScottVib
I do.

Okay smartass, you get the Clippers when we start our online league.
Old 11-03-2003, 08:14 AM   #15
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Re: .400 Software Questions

Quote:
Originally posted by Swaggs

I also see that Total Pro Basketball is scheduled to be released in November '03. I am not the biggest pro basketball fan, but I really like the concept of a customized online basketball league. Seeing different playing styles (Defensive/Thug teams vs Flashy/Run-and-Gun Teams) and finding the players to fit those moulds (if implemented properly), combined w/ smaller rosters, no minor league to manage, a draft w/ readily-able players and a relatively fast paced season would make pro basketball an ideal online league, in my opinion. Anyone know anything about the progress of TPB?

Thanks in advance.

Sure, I'm the developer of TPB so I would be happy to answer any questions you have about the game either here, through email or over at the .400 forums - I spend most of my time there and I'm new around the FOFC boards so I'm still kind of lurking

Beta testing is going very well and the game is very stable for being a beta - there are still kinks to work out of course and tweaks to make but its coming along very nicely.

As for what you were talking about above, it is absoultely true. The focus of TPB is to build a basketball team and have some strategy in doing so. Too often its too easy to manipulate players and "strategies" and the object of the game becomes just get the best rated players. I've tried to create a sim where you actually need to find certain players to fit your style of play and a sim that allows a player to flourish in one style but be horrendous in another. And yeah, the rosters are small, there's no minor leagues (although there is a D-League you can sign players from but you dont have to manage it or anything) and I think it will make for a great solo and multiplayer sim.

If you want more info, just post and I will answer most any question or you can always email or post on the .400 boards as well. Thanks for your interest in it though.