Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-20-2012, 04:06 PM   #1
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

Student lands job running football team thanks to Football Manager on the computer

I have a feeling a lot of foreign clubs are going to see an increase in FM qualified applications.

Student lands job running football team thanks to Football Manager on the computer | World of Sport - Yahoo! Eurosport UK

Student lands job running football team thanks to Football Manager on the computer
By Eurosport | World of Sport – 8 hours ago
Email

Vugar Huseynzade (l) and the national stadium in Baku where his side are based
When a 25-year-old football fan applied for the vacant boss's job at Middlesbrough on the strength of his experience playing Football Manager on the computer, sports fans across the world were left chuckling by the brilliant application letter.

Six years on from John Boileau's correspondence with Boro chairman Steve Gibson, dozens of others have followed suit - not least when hundreds of people applied recently for the Dumbarton job on the basis of their prowess playing FIFA 12.

But for one fan, video game prowess has finally paid off in the form of a job as manager of Azerbaijan side FC Baku's 'A' team.

Vugar Huseynzade, a 21-year-old student from Sweden, landed the job at one of Azerbaijan's top football clubs - reportedly beating off big names including France legend Jean-Pierre Papin to the post - despite his only experience of managing a team being on his computer.

Yet that devotion to the virtual game - along with some work experience stint with a sports agency in the USA - were apparently enough to land him the job.

"I've always wanted to work in football and have played Football Manager since 2002," Huseynzade told Scandinavian newspaper Aftonbladet.

Azerbaijan-born Huseynzade took over the job - equivalent to reserve team manager - after previous incumbent Kamran Ismayilov left by mutual consent after more than two years.

But while Ismayilov was a balding, greying veteran, Huseynzade is anything but. The newspaper reports that a chance encounter with the vice-president of FC Baku helped him get a job at the club as an assistant last February. When Ismayilov left, Huseynzade was fast-tracked in to take charge of the 'A' team at the current Azerbaijani champions.

Bearcat729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:33 PM   #2
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

funny i was just gonna start a thread asking if people thought there'd ever be a day when sim geek would land a real world gig. good for him

thus begins my letter writing campaign to shad khan
NorvTurnerOverdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:42 PM   #3
Izulde
Head Coach

I was wondering if it'd be feasible to mention my MP experience, including a championship and two Finals appearances, in my sports management apps. This points to yes.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:49 PM   #4
molson
General Manager

I'm pretty good at CIV IV, does that qualify me for anything? It doesn't even have be Secretary of State or anything, I'd settle for ambassador to the Netherlands or something.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:50 PM   #5
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

lol @ the comments:

Quote:
Wait til he realizes after losing he can't just go back to his save game and try again.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:57 PM   #6
Suicane75
Coordinator

I've already sent the Mets my saved game file of Baseball Mogul where I got Steve Carlton 400 wins. Waiting for a response.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:13 PM   #7
BYU 14
Coordinator

Well hell, I've managed to keep Coffee Warlord alive in my X-Com dynasty, surely there is a spot at NASA for me!
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:23 PM   #8
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

hands in wish list of international hidden gems in fm

you do know we're a reserve team right?

hands in match tactics

the fuck is jingle balls?
NorvTurnerOverdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:44 PM   #9
Critch
lolzcat

I applied for the Scotland managers job in 1993 based on my Championship Manager results and the fact I would work for half as much money as a real coach.

I got a very nice rejection letter from them, hand signed and on fancy embossed SFA paper. Always meant to get it framed, but I've lost it now.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:00 PM   #10
IlliniCub
High School Varsity

How pissed is this guy going to be when alt+ctrl+del doesn't work
IlliniCub is offline   Reply With Quote