Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-29-2003, 11:45 PM   #1
maximus
Banned

3D Studio Max

I am thinking about getting this software. Since I like to work with graphics, this will keep me busy (and learning) for a while. Man, I wish I was able to learn code. I have both VB.net & Microsoft Visual c++ 4.0 for doing coding but I do not have the "wit" to get this stuff. Anyways, back to 3D Studio Max. I think I am going to get the new version called "3D Max Studio 6". Anyone here wiling to comment on this software? Also, what are some cool plugins to use with it (3D Max)? Thanks guys.

maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 11:49 PM   #2
sabotai
General Manager

$$$$
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 11:52 PM   #3
maximus
Banned

ya, lots of it... I know but I have 3D max 5 so the upgrade version isn't that much (compared to the the full install, that is).
Old 10-29-2003, 11:54 PM   #4
sabotai
General Manager

But seriously...I have 2.5 and have used it a lot. Can't really comment on plugins because any that I have (if I still have them) are horribly outdated. The Inside 3D Studio Max books are very good, and I reccomend them. They really do a good job of describing what everything in the program does (But they don't really show you how to do "creative" things....if that makes any sense).

www.3dcafe.com is a site I used to go to for models/tutorials. They have a ton of both.

First, remember, this a program used to make 3d Models. This is not photoshop. So you best make sure it's something you'll want to spend a lot of time with if you want to sink a lot of time into it.

I would suggest getting gmax first, mainly because it's free, and second because it's basically 3D Studio Max with a lot of things taken out of it. You won't really be able to do much with what you create, because they made this progam specifically for MOD developers. But, you can download it for free and it'll give you an idea of what 3D Studio is and how it works.
Old 10-29-2003, 11:55 PM   #5
sabotai
General Manager

You have 3D Studio 5, k. Forget what I said about gmax then. But for anyone else reading this thread, go get gmax. It's a cool program.
Old 10-29-2003, 11:57 PM   #6
maximus
Banned

I have used gmax before ( I compared it to the 3D Max 5 that I have) and yes... it is VERY scaled down. I think I will be getting it. Thanks for the advice and tips. I'll look more deeply into those sites you mentioned.
Old 10-30-2003, 12:06 AM   #7
sabotai
General Manager

The thing with www.3dcafe.com is now you have to subscribe to get access to most of their stuff (reason I pretty much stopped going there). The models and tuts are still free though, I think.

Oh man, I can't remember the name of the site, but they had this guy on The Screensavers awhile ago. He has a site where he hosts tutorials on all kinds of programs, 3D Studio being one of them, and gives it ALL out for free. Since 6 just came out (or is coming out), he obviously wouldn't have much on that version yet, but it'll definatly be a site to check out.

I haven't because when I tried to register, it wouldn't go through (problem on their site) and I just forgot about it (happens a lot. ).

I'll see if I can find it.
Old 10-30-2003, 12:12 AM   #8
Eilim
High School Varsity

3DMax? bleahk, go with Lightwave.

Actually which program to use really is decided by your familiarity and your intended final use. If your looking to make models/images for games or new to Modeling 3D creations, go with Max. Much easier to get around its interface and there are oodles of sites and tutorials for beginners.

If your goal is digital movies/animations, or a more realistic "digital art" and don't mind a slightly higher learning curve, I'd personally suggest Lightwave. While I'll admit its mainly a personal preference thing, I've just had alot better results when doing projects of that sort in LW.

oh and if your not... a student, don't mind spending decent change on your hobbies, or a software thief.. Don't consider either of them, too many good free 3d modeling apps out there now. Hell, even the "big guns" tend to use 3rd party render engine apps now, many of which you can also get for free and produce amazing results.

-Eilim
Eilim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 12:16 AM   #9
maximus
Banned

Eilim, thanks for the tips. Lightwave is pretty expensive as well. Sine I already spent the "bulk" on the 3D amx 5 version, the upgrade to Max 6 will not be that bad. I may have to try lightwave though...we'll see. Thanks once again.
Old 10-30-2003, 12:21 AM   #10
sabotai
General Manager

www.3dbuzz.com

That's the site that offers lessons on many programs for free. Go there...NOW!!
Old 10-30-2003, 12:24 AM   #11
Eilim
High School Varsity

That was just a friendly jab at any 3DMax users who might be reading. You think competing game fans butt heads.. You should see the forums when 3D app users get together.

To be honest, if your still "learning" and have 5.. In all honesty, stick with it and learn on that. See if its something you can get comfortable with before investing more money.

With some exceptions, most skills you learn in one 3dapp transfer easily to the other once you get over any interface issues. and like I said, there are so many free programs out there that unless you plan on turning it into a commercial skill where you need to have certain program knowledge on your resume to get in the door I just don't see making the investment needed worth it.

I'll see if I can find some of my old links to the free apps and render engines out there. I've just become so settled in and comfortable with LW for my needs that I don't follow the "scene" as much as I used too on the latest and greatest stuff.

-Eilim
Old 10-30-2003, 12:33 AM   #12
sabotai
General Manager

FWIW, Maya offers a free demo of thier product now. I haven't downloaded it, but that's a 3rd choice you (or anyone here reading) might want to consider.
Old 10-30-2003, 12:33 AM   #13
Airhog
Captain Obvious

im sorry, but I do not see anyone spending a significant amount of money on a program they do not use on a regular basis. Last time I checked 3dsmax full was running somewhere around 3k.

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 12:40 AM   #14
sabotai
General Manager

Here's a nother site I found that I used to go to (someone on 3dbuzz referenced it)

http://www.maxforums.org/
Old 10-30-2003, 12:46 AM   #15
sabotai
General Manager

Airhog, upgrade price is about $800. Still steep for someone who does it as a hobby (reason I'm still -3.5 versions away. ) But hey, for those who have the money, more power to them.
Old 10-30-2003, 12:50 AM   #16
Eilim
High School Varsity

Airhog, not sure about now. But when I picked up 3Dmax ( a couple years/versions ago) it only cost me a little over 200$. Granted, many people rank me not much higher than a software pirate the way I got it. I had my sister, in college at the time, pick both it and Lightwave up for me at the student discount cost.

Although I will admit, I already had experience with both programs and knew I'd be using them in work-related projects. but I do know many people who plunk down the cash for hobbies.. *looks over at his garage converted to a recording studio* I do miss the days of having a great paying job and being single with cash to burn.

-Eilim
Old 10-30-2003, 01:09 AM   #17
Airhog
Captain Obvious

okay so you can get it for dirt cheap, but still spending 200 dollars on even an educational discount for a program you have zero experience with? wouldnt you logicaly you go out and play with a free modeling program before dropping down cash? and why upgrade to the newest version when you havent even learned the old version at all?

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 04:19 AM   #18
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

maximus, what exactly are you hoping to get out of the 3D software? Depending on what your aim is will affect the recommendations people would have for you.

I started off using 3D Max and Softimage way back when. I liked Max better at the time (Max 2.0, Soft 3.7). About 4 years ago we switched over to Maya. For animation, especially character animation, there's no comparison IMO - Maya is clearly superior. Another huge plus for Maya is MEL scripting - the ease with which you can write scripts in Maya is a huge plus for me; any repetitive task I do I can just copy the MEL commands from a shell and paste them into a custom MEL script button.

As mentioned earlier, you can get a free learning version of Maya. I believe the limitations on it are a different file format not compatible with regular Maya and digitally watermarked renders.

Maya probably has the greatest universality among the various 3D apps - it's both very popular in the game industry and the film industry. However, like I said, depending on what you want to do with your 3D app will govern the recommendations for the best software to use.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 07:57 AM   #19
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally posted by sabotai
Airhog, upgrade price is about $800. Still steep for someone who does it as a hobby (reason I'm still -3.5 versions away. ) But hey, for those who have the money, more power to them.

That's why they put out gmax for free - for the hobbyists. 3DMax is definitely intended - and priced - for someone who will be in some fashion making money from the program's output.
Old 10-30-2003, 06:15 PM   #20
maximus
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by dawgfan
maximus, what exactly are you hoping to get out of the 3D software? Depending on what your aim is will affect the recommendations people would have for you.

I started off using 3D Max and Softimage way back when. I liked Max better at the time (Max 2.0, Soft 3.7). About 4 years ago we switched over to Maya. For animation, especially character animation, there's no comparison IMO - Maya is clearly superior. Another huge plus for Maya is MEL scripting - the ease with which you can write scripts in Maya is a huge plus for me; any repetitive task I do I can just copy the MEL commands from a shell and paste them into a custom MEL script button.

As mentioned earlier, you can get a free learning version of Maya. I believe the limitations on it are a different file format not compatible with regular Maya and digitally watermarked renders.

Maya probably has the greatest universality among the various 3D apps - it's both very popular in the game industry and the film industry. However, like I said, depending on what you want to do with your 3D app will govern the recommendations for the best software to use.

I am not looking at it as just a hobby. I am aiming at doing this for a career. I have taught myself alot about computers and such and this is what I enjoy.
Old 10-30-2003, 06:44 PM   #21
sabotai
General Manager

That was why I bought 2.5 (at the student discount) way back when. I wasn't sure if I wanted to stay with programming or get into graphics. Since I stuck with programming, I haven't upgraded.
Old 10-30-2003, 06:54 PM   #22
Joe Stallings
.400 Software Studios

I would definitely make sure I could handle all the quality 'free' ones like gmax, Reality Factory, truespace, Genesis, etc. before plopping down a huge chunk for Max.
Joe Stallings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 07:25 PM   #23
Eilim
High School Varsity

Truespace is free now? I think I have a demo copy of Truespace 4 around somewhere (think their up to 6 now) and while cheap I didn't think it was one of the free modelers.

Before I stopped making the rounds on various 3D forums I had been hearing alot about "wings3d", anyone looking into modeling might want to check it out. Had heard alot of good feedback about it.

-Eilim
Old 10-30-2003, 07:53 PM   #24
sabotai
General Manager

I wish they had quality free programs like gmax back then. Alas, they did not. Well, you could them free....it just wasn't legal.
Old 10-30-2003, 07:55 PM   #25
sabotai
General Manager

truespace isn't free, but they offer free demo's of it.
Old 10-31-2003, 12:11 AM   #26
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by maximus
I am not looking at it as just a hobby. I am aiming at doing this for a career. I have taught myself alot about computers and such and this is what I enjoy.

When you say career, what do you mean? Do you want to work for yourself, freelance, get hired by someone?

Do you want to do games, film, post-production?

Is there a particular aspect of 3D graphics you enjoy most - modeling, texturing, animation, special effects?

My inclination would be to say don't bother with the 'freebie' 3D apps if you want to do this for a career, and go for a learning edition version of one of the major packages like Maya, Max, Lightwave or Soft. As I mentioned earlier, I think Maya probably gives you the most career flexibility as well as the most power. If you don't mind learning a new 'flavor' of 3D app, I'd suggest trying the personal learning edition of Maya. If you don't want to relearn 3D in a new app, you'd probably be fine going with the upgrade in Max. As I mentioned though, for animation I strongly prefer Maya over Max. Take that FWIW...
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote