Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-29-2003, 04:10 PM   #1
vtbub
College Starter

LeBron

I'm not an NBA fan by any means, but I'm watching LeBron tonight.

What athlete that has been hyped to death has exceeded your expectations in the past?

I'd say, for me, Tiger.

How will this kid do?

I think he and 'Melo are going to be great.

vtbub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 05:53 PM   #2
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

I'll be watching as soon as my Bulls game is over.

Is it me or are the new Cavalier jerseys some of the best looking jerseys to come out in a long time?
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 07:21 PM   #3
sony
High School JV

I'm gonna be waiting for the Cavs game, too. Right now, I'm stuck with the Magic-Knicks game.

Keith Van Horn is torching the Magic.
sony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 07:25 PM   #4
mckerney
Coordinator

Re: LeBron

Quote:
Originally posted by vtbub
I think he and 'Melo are going to be great.

And Darko will be better than either of them.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 08:14 PM   #5
korme
Go Reds

i will watch for kobe playing federal prison ball this year
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 08:15 PM   #6
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by Shorty3281
i will watch for kobe playing federal prison ball this year

Same here, but I've been wondering if his stats will count towards fantasy leagues.
Old 10-29-2003, 09:46 PM   #7
TroyF
Coordinator

I actually think both Melo and James will be better than Darko. I agree with Bill Simmons (if you read his preview that came out today, you know what I'm talking about)

Watching the Nuggets/Spurs game now and the Nuggets look pretty good. They are trying to run more. They are pushing it up the floor every chance they get. The Spurs look tired because of the back to back nights. (middle of the third quarter now) Both teams have missed a lot of layups this game. The Nuggets due to nervs, the Spurs due to conditioning. (IMO)

'Melo got into some early foul trouble but has looked pretty good when he's been on the floor.

The score is currently 51-40 Nuggets with just over 5 minutes left in the third quarter.

Biggest news of the night? Camby had 16 rebounds in the first half. . . and didn't suffer a season ending injury.

TroyF
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 10:03 PM   #8
heybrad
Norm!!!

After everything ESPN does to hype the start of Bron Brons career, we have to sit through overtime of the Knicks - Magic.

Ugh.
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 10:11 PM   #9
sianews
Mascot

Great first quater. Things were looking desperate as the Kings were on a huge run, but Lebron turned the game around single handidly with three great plays. 10pts after the first quater.
sianews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 10:27 PM   #10
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Incredible first quarter.

I think I have a new favorite player.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 10:28 PM   #11
tucker342
Pro Starter

Very impressive start
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 11:02 PM   #12
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by TroyF
I actually think both Melo and James will be better than Darko. I agree with Bill Simmons (if you read his preview that came out today, you know what I'm talking about)

I couldn't disagree more with Simmons in this case. First, I don't think Prince being on Detroit had anything to do with taking Darko, Darko was just a better prospect even if your starting empty cupboard.

Not only will Darko be no where near Sam Bowie, he'll be much closer to Jordan than Anthony.
Old 10-29-2003, 11:18 PM   #13
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by mckerney
I couldn't disagree more with Simmons in this case. First, I don't think Prince being on Detroit had anything to do with taking Darko, Darko was just a better prospect even if your starting empty cupboard.

Not only will Darko be no where near Sam Bowie, he'll be much closer to Jordan than Anthony.

I don't see it. I love Darko. Even defended him on these boards multiple times. I just don't see him being anywhere near Michael Jordan.

7 footer, outside shot, ball handling skills, good passer, nasty streak. Pretty much describes a mean Dirk Nowitzki. Is that good? Hell yeah, he's one of the best in the NBA. Is it Jordan like? No.

TroyF
Old 10-30-2003, 12:02 AM   #14
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by TroyF
I don't see it. I love Darko. Even defended him on these boards multiple times. I just don't see him being anywhere near Michael Jordan.

7 footer, outside shot, ball handling skills, good passer, nasty streak. Pretty much describes a mean Dirk Nowitzki. Is that good? Hell yeah, he's one of the best in the NBA. Is it Jordan like? No.

TroyF

I didn't say he'd be at the level of Michael Jordan, just closer to that level than 'Mello. Right pick him over Anthony, though after watching James play tonight I'd say the #2 rating behind him is right on.
Old 10-30-2003, 12:14 AM   #15
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Talent-wise, I don't think he's as talented as Kobe Bryant. But, as a player, I'd take him on my team over Bryant in a heartbeat - and it has nothing to do with Bryant's legal trouble. I only really needed one play to convince me: some time in the 2nd quarter, he passed the ball ahead to Bremer from around midcourt. Bryant would dribble along, make a wonderful move and, maybe, score - he'd look spectacular doing it. And his teammate would have a wonderful time watching him do it. It isn't to say that Bryant lacks the ability to pass - he's a great passer with great vision - he's just too busy looking cool. I also really liked the interview he gave going into half-time ("we'll come out and give a better effort in the second half"). I think that's great. I hope he doesn't change.
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 12:31 AM   #16
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
I didn't say he'd be at the level of Michael Jordan, just closer to that level than 'Mello. Right pick him over Anthony, though after watching James play tonight I'd say the #2 rating behind him is right on.

Maybe. We'll see. 'Melo has something special though. Guys a winner. Like James, he's unselfish and makes everyone around him better. I think like Simmons. . . these two will be like Magic vs. Bird. They'll be all stars for years and will have a ton of meeting in the post season.

One thing is absolute: Darko isn't nearly as developed as these two guys are right now. He may be in the future, but he isn't even in their ballparks at the moment. While he's picking up DNP's and garbage time this year, these two guys will be fighting it out for rookie of the year.

I'm anxious to see Darko play more. I've mainly only seen small video clips and 1/2 of an international game with him in it. Will he be better than Dirk or Gasol? How long will his development take? Two, three years? Four? I saw him a little in the preseason and had some Tskitishvili rookie flashbacks. (skeeta is a better player this year by the way, he's still a year off, but he's got game)

I'd love for you to be right. I hope the guy is a stud. I want to see centers like him and Yao become THE big men in the NBA. I hate the Shaq, Karl Malone shoulder drop big men. Give me the big guys who can run the floor and have a face up game anyday of the week. (Before anyone starts, I realize Malone has a face up game, it's the flying elbows I truly despise)

TroyF
Old 10-30-2003, 01:32 AM   #17
daedalus
Pro Rookie

The limited time I've seen of him, he definitely has talent. Like a lot of European import, though, I don't know that he's ready for prime time in the NBA yet. In his defense, he's still very young and didn't played in the bigger leagues in Europe. Don't forget, too, that Detroit is considered a contender in the East and can't really afford to let someone learn on the job.
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 02:13 AM   #18
mckerney
Coordinator

Watching LeBron in his first game and people reactions to his first 2 commercials, all I could think was, "This man is going to make a lot of money."

That kind of talent and he's someone who's that marketable in a game that needs someone to focus on to bring it back in popularity, he's going to have one helluva career.
Old 10-30-2003, 04:20 AM   #19
Rich1033
High School Varsity

What impressed me was that after getting off to that hot start he didnt take a shot in the second quarter. It will take time for his outside shot to develop, so Im glad to see he wont be forcing it.

I think I will have to make the drive to go see a few Cavs games this season.
Rich1033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 06:17 AM   #20
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

He's got to work on a few things... but the guy showed the talent that all this hype was based on. From what I saw, hew worked twice as hard as any other Cav last night, especially gurading his man.

Impressed I am!
LETS GO JAYS!!
EHM 2005 DYNASTY: A New Philosophy in Toronto!
Joe Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 06:35 AM   #21
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Darko has one HUGE problem. Larry Brown doesn't play rookies. I've seen years worth of that in Philly, where we would see very little of any of the rookies on the 76ers. When he would play them, he would be looking over their shoulder and one missed shot, that he saw as a bad choice, would lead to them coming out of the game and usually not getting back in. Plus Brown is about defense, so this kid better learn to play defense if he wants to see any time at all.

As far as Lebron, I did see some of the talent that he has been hyped on. I just didn't see enough of the game to really decide, plus it's really too early to really tell.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 07:36 AM   #22
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by EagleFan
Darko has one HUGE problem. Larry Brown doesn't play rookies. I've seen years worth of that in Philly, where we would see very little of any of the rookies on the 76ers. When he would play them, he would be looking over their shoulder and one missed shot, that he saw as a bad choice, would lead to them coming out of the game and usually not getting back in. Plus Brown is about defense, so this kid better learn to play defense if he wants to see any time at all.

He probably won't get much playing time this year, but he should get some excellent instruction on fundamentals of the NBA game in practice. I expect the situation to workout nicely for him in the long run.

Quote:
As far as Lebron, I did see some of the talent that he has been hyped on. I just didn't see enough of the game to really decide, plus it's really too early to really tell.

I saw most of the game and I must say he was outstanding. Stat-line was good, but doesn't tell everything as he made some outstanding plays with some passes that most rookies don't even attempt. Stats would have been better if some players on his team weren't so selfish.
Old 10-30-2003, 09:59 AM   #23
tucker342
Pro Starter

He still had some incredible numbers though, especially for a kid just out of High School
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 10:11 AM   #24
TroyF
Coordinator

Next Wednesday Anthony and James will be on the same floor. Should be one hell of a show.

TroyF
Old 10-30-2003, 10:13 AM   #25
Samdari
Roster Filler

Re: Re: LeBron

Quote:
And Darko will be better than either of them.

"Its Sam Bowie over Jordan all over again."
Old 10-30-2003, 10:16 AM   #26
Butter
Coordinator

LeBron was awesome and his attitude during and after the game were great. I only could watch until halftime since it was so late.

I really didn't like some of the showboating he did in high school, but I have to say he won me over last night.

I'm a fickle guy though, so a little mouthing off could send me back to the other side.

He seriously might be the first player to get me to watch an entire NBA regular season game for the first time in years.
Old 10-30-2003, 10:30 AM   #27
Vince
Pro Starter

What impressed me the most were two things.

#1 - He had 0 turnovers until late in the fourth quarter. Of his two, one bounced off of Boozer's hands, and the other was a pretty lame offensive foul, if you ask me (he dished it to Boozer and brushed Brad Miller, and got the foul).

#2 - When asked if he exceeded his expectations for the game afterward, he responded "I don't like to think like that when we lost a game I feel we had a shot at winning."

What I noticed about his game is that though he had quite a few steals, he wasn't nearly the player on defense that he was on offense. He (and for a large part all of his teammates as well) struggled mightily to get through screens, and he bit on headfakes a bit much too. That being said, it was an absolutely amazing debut, and he has a ton of potential.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 11:24 AM   #28
mckerney
Coordinator

Re: Re: Re: LeBron

Quote:
Originally posted by Samdari
"Its Sam Bowie over Jordan all over again."

And at the time Milwaukee had made a great deal trading that over hyped foreign prospect for proven college guy Tractor Traylor.
Old 10-30-2003, 11:52 AM   #29
TroyF
Coordinator

Re: Re: Re: Re: LeBron

Quote:
And at the time Milwaukee had made a great deal trading that over hyped foreign prospect for proven college guy Tractor Traylor.

Yep, Dirk became a stud. Some of us didn't like Tractor Traylor at all, even before the draft. Either way, this isn't a Tractor Traylor vs. Dirk Nowitzki debate anyway. Comparing Melo to the traylor is like comparing JR Rider to Michael Jordan. Melo will be a star in this league. Traylor was never going to be a star.

As I said, I hope Darko is everything he's made out to be. Don't spend your time dissing Melo while you're doing it though. He's going to be a special player.

TroyF
Old 10-30-2003, 12:22 PM   #30
TroyF
Coordinator

DOLA here. . .

Mckerney,

Wanted to ask you something: How much have you seen Darko play? Where have you seen him play?

I'm just wondering if you have seen anything other than some highlight footage or if you're basing your opinions on "scouts" and television reports.

As I said above, I've seen some highlight clips and about 1/2 of an international game. He looked good, but wasn't dominant in the games I watched. I saw enough to think he'll be a very good player, but nothing indicated he was anywhere near ready for NBA basketball.

I have no problem if your opinion is based on the scouts projections. I'd really like to find some tape of a half where he truly dominated a game though, just so I can see for my own eyes.

TroyF
Old 10-30-2003, 01:30 PM   #31
ice4277
Pro Rookie

I saw Darko play in person a couple times during the preseason, and well, it was about what you would expect for a young rookie not named LeBron James. Lets not forget that this is a kid who should be in his final year of high school right now. Is he going to be a project? Yes. Anybody who has expectations of him getting a solid amount of playing time, especially early, is smoking crack. There is absolutely zero need to rush this guy along in his development. The Pistons do not need him out on the court this year, they already feature a very solid and deep frountcourt and adding him to the mix now would be a hindrance to not only Darko but the rotation Brown already has set. Let him learn on the bench for a year, get his blooding in game situations next year, and start stepping it up the year after that. Remember, this pick was essentially a bonus for the Pistons, there is no need to rush him along to be the cornerstone of the franchise. He will do that in time, but not now.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 02:32 PM   #32
cmp
Pro Rookie

I watched most Piston preseason games on TV and went to one myself. Darko showed flashes of brilliance but also had many rookie mistakes. Anyone who expects anything from him this season is crazy. Everyone will rip on the Pistons and Dumars for picking Darko over Carmelo throughout the year but in 2 or 3 years everyone will realize Darko was the right pick. In 3 years when Detroit has Chauncey, Rip, Tayshaun, Ben, and two very good 7 footers in Okur and Darko they will tough to beat.
cmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 02:39 PM   #33
haji1
Mascot

People talk about the vast potential of LeBron and I take the opposite view. I think physically he is probably maxed out. I think he can become a better shooter, gain a clearer understanding of the game, refine his skills to fine edge, but I don't think that he can become exponentially better than he is.

Don't get me wrong, I have loved almost everything about LeBron last night. I like the way he plays the game. I loved his attitude during the post game interview. I hope he has a great season and is able to turn Cleveland around. I just think he already has excellent skills, he is not going to get much stonger, taller, or agile. Certainly he has many things to work on and improve, and he has potential to improve upon those skills. But "vast" or "limitless" potential or "I can't wait to see what he can become in five years"
haji1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 02:39 PM   #34
haji1
Mascot

What the hell happened? I don't think I clicked send. Anyway, I think you get my point.
haji1 is offline   Reply With Quote