Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-28-2012, 10:13 AM   #51
Poli
FOFC Survivor

A few more adjustments to the playbook...goalline offense, 5 WR Trio and our base double tight get tweaked.

Poli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 10:15 AM   #52
Poli
FOFC Survivor

We call heads on the toss...losing again. We defend the west goal again and we'll receive. Night game in the rain. Gotta love it.
Old 07-28-2012, 10:30 AM   #53
Poli
FOFC Survivor

We break out the double tight look and start pounding the ball from inside the 20. Cox gives us 16 on 3 carries before leaving with bruised ribs. Williams takes over and breaks free twice. He totals 39 yards on 4 carries before Cox returns. Cox gives us 4 and Danska can't help us on a jet for no gain.

3rd and 6, Pagel finds Dowling on a cross that is good for the first down.

Cox takes a screen for 5, and Dowling drops a pass in the endzone when he's crunched by multiple defenders. Williams re-enters the game and runs it in from a goalline set from the 2 yard line. 7-0, UMASS

Miami answers with a slow, methodical drive of their own, culminating with a 3rd down score into the endzone. A wide open receiver in the middle of the endzone. 7-7

Cox gives us 2 yards on 2 carries as we end out the first quarter.
Old 07-28-2012, 11:18 AM   #54
Poli
FOFC Survivor

We open the 2nd quarter with a cross to Blanchflower for 11 and the first down. Danska then finally gives us positive yards on a jet, gaining 5. Cox breaks free for gains of 12 and 8. We then call a play I haven't called yet this season, HB Swing. I'm nervous about calling plays like that where it's clearly designed for the HB, but other receivers are available.

We call it, Pagel sends it to Cox for 5. Attaboy. Incomplete pass to Long on a cross on 1st down. Williams gives us 4 on the dive. Pagel finds true freshman Mills open on a slant, but he drops it. Mills will not be getting that redshirt after all. From the 15, we send in the kick team for 3. 10-7, UMASS

Miami answers with a deep ball. I HATE DEFENSE. 14-10, Miami

Taking over at our 34, Hill and Michel takes jets for 7 and 1, respectively. Cox gives us the yard for the first and then 18 on a stretch. 6 more by Cox on a dive before he leaves again with an injury. Pagel hits Danska on a slant for 7 and a first down. Williams gives us 23 yards on the next 4 carries...down to a 3rd and goal from the 4. We keep the double tight look on the field and call slants. Foesel catches the score in the flat...turning upfield with nowhere around. 17-14, UMASS

Miami has 1 minute on the clock and drives down for what I expect to at least be a tie. An interception in the endzone gives us the ball instead.

20 seconds left, probably the safe thing to do is run the ball and hit the locker room. Instead, I call a couple of slants. Pagel misses Danska, but hits Michel. The defender, a star player, goes for the interception. When he misses Michel takes it all the way to the Ohio 33 before going out of bounds with 4 seconds.

I call time out, though I don't have to. I want some extra time to think about the decision. Our kicker can't hit a 50. I decide not to try for it.

Instead, I try for another play I haven't called yet. Trips right, back off to the right. Williams motions to the left sideline and streaks upfield. I'm hoping for a mismatch and a deep ball as this is likely the last play before the half.

Williams goes in motion. A linebacker chases him. The backer stays in the flat. Williams gets a quick pass and he goes into the endzone untouched. 24-14, UMASS
Old 07-28-2012, 11:18 AM   #55
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I'm very pleased. I think I'm going to try that adjustment stuff for the defense and tell them to play deeper zones. I think I can do that.

I check the injury report. Looks like Cox is out for the remainder of the game.

Last edited by Poli : 07-28-2012 at 11:25 AM.
Old 07-28-2012, 11:38 AM   #56
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I can't get it changed while they're on defense to start the 2nd half. They score almost immediately. Guess how? Deep ball. 24-21, UMASS

I go in and set it to the conservative. For the love all that is good and right. Stop the deep ball.

Williams helps us out on the next drive. 6 carries, 41 yards. He leaves with a broken toe. Broadnax is no Cox or Williams, but he provides. 20 yards on 6 straight carries. 3rd down and now Broadnax is out. We have to go to the passing game. Pagel is sacked looking for crossers. We call for the four verticals on 4th and long from their 27. Can't hit the field goal from here. Touchdown Blanchflower. Hate to take advantage of a defense like that, but they're not afraid to do it. 31-21, UMASS

I think the adjustment helps. Miami takes some underneath stuff before going deep down the sideline. It's picked off at the 5. That's where we take over.

We run a jet with Dowling for a yard before hitting Hill on the slant for 12 and then Danska on a cross for 6 and ending the 3rd quarter.
Old 07-28-2012, 11:40 AM   #57
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Williams returns for the 4th quarter. We call a rollout even though I despise it with our quarterback's abilities. Pagel finds no one open and turns upfield. He's pushed out at the first down marker. Whew.

Williams takes two carries for 4 yards. We then call an empty bubble. Pagel hits Williams for 3 but we'll have to punt.

At least I think we'll have to punt. I tell the game to simulate the punt play and it results in a 5 yard penalty against the defense. For whatever reason, I'm out on the playcalling. It's all the head coach and Pagel. Pagel finds Dowling deep and gets us 46. Pagel goes no huddle. I'm powerless to stop it. Pagel hits Danska across the middle for 12. Staying no huddle. Pagel gives to Dowling who's lined up in the backfield with Pagel. Dowling loses 3 and they'll let me call a play again.

Two dives by Williams later, we're in the endzone. 38-21, UMASS

Miami turns it over at midfield. Burns and Williams trade carries to get us into field goal position. 41-21, UMASS

Miami puts one final drive in before the end. Final: 41-28, UMASS

Last edited by Poli : 07-28-2012 at 11:53 AM.
Old 07-28-2012, 11:59 AM   #58
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Nice job offensively today in the rain. Would have liked to ran Cox more...but he's clearly injury prone. I wonder if starting Williams may be the better option. Let Cox spell him.

I thought the defense was going to cost us that one. I really hate defenses in the game.

Pagel 15 of 19, 240 yards, 3 TD

Williams, 24-133, 2 TD
Cox 11-67
Broadnax 6-19
Burns 5-8
Dowling 2-(-2)
Danska 2-5
Michel 1-1
Hill 1-7

Danska 3-25
Cox 2-13
Blanchflower 2-37 TD