Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-15-2012, 10:40 PM   #951
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJack View Post
When the Oklahoma City Devils are actually selling out their home games in 2024 they'll have such fond memories of the years when they fought tooth and nail with the local MLS team for space on the eleventh page of the sports section. I sure hope they take Puddy with them.

I'm not in the business of feeding trolls, but...87.4% capacity in the NY metro area isn't exactly slouching when you consider the myriad other activities there are in within close proximity. And the Devils filled their building better than Florida, Anaheim, Colorado, Carolina, Isles, Columbus, Dallas, Phoenix this year.

It's a busy entertainment market in an decidedly regional sport. There's always going to be limited appeal, but they do okay and sure..they'd sell out as Toronto's 2nd team or would bring down the house in Quebec City. But I doubt they'd be worth more to the NHL in either of those cities and there's no inertia getting them out of their Newark lease and into some better situation elsewhere.

Also, there's no precedent in the NHL for a team that wins a Stanley Cup (much less multiple Cups) to move after having done so. It's bound to happen one of these days, but to date, it's never happened.

Calgary, New Jersey, Colorado, Dallas and Carolina are the only relocated NHL franchises to date to win cups.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 06-15-2012 at 10:42 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote