Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-29-2012, 10:26 PM   #1
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
WTF: Okie State's losing gamble

This has to be the strangest way I've heard of an athletic department losing money.

OSU Cowboys' Death Wish Goes Unanswered, Lose $33 Million - Forbes
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:33 PM   #2
bhlloy
Coordinator

Wealthy booster: so what can I do to help the team this year?
OK St AD: eat as much bacon as you can, don't look before you cross the street and don't bother taking those heart meds for a while
Wealthy booster: ?
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 01:15 AM   #3
Izulde
Head Coach

That's just bizarre. And fascinating in a macabre way.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 02:26 AM   #4
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

I am kind of surprised the life insurance company even allowed them to insure the boosters.

Must be insurable interest for them to allow a policy. Its not as if the boosters are family members or really business partners that owed the school money or something.

In any case this sort of seems kind of wrong. Betting on some of your top boosters dying so you can profit.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 04:48 AM   #5
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

My guess is this is likely akin to a "key man" policy a corporation would take out on an executive. They must have shown that the boosters were worth a stream of cash to the school. Plus the donors no doubt consented to the insurance policy being issued. They should have sold the policies to a viatical settlement company!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 05:54 AM   #6
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

So you're saying insurance companies are good at what they do, with the actuarial tables and all? I am shocked

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:20 AM   #7
Easy Mac

Shot, I knew I should have taken a policy out on asteve Jobs when I had the chance.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:36 AM   #8
Bobble
College Prospect

This:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
Shot,
Made me read this:
Quote:
I knew I should have taken a policy out on asteve Jobs when I had the chance.
Like this:
Quote:
I knew I should have taken out asteve Jobs when I had the chance.

/Hitman 2
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:38 AM   #9
Ksyrup

Quote:
Shot, I knew I should have taken a policy out on asteve Jobs when I had the chance.

"But I have an insurable interest in the value I place on my future entertainment!"
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 03-30-2012, 08:00 AM   #10
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I've heard of this before.

Most states now have laws saying that the life-in-interest has to be aware that a policy is out on them. Give them a fighting chance and all that.
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:14 AM   #11
Ksyrup

There's that, but it's far more complicated than that. That's where the viatical stuff comes in. Some people will willingly either take out a policy themselves or consent to one being taken out on them, then immediately sell it to an unrelated 3rd party for cash. That's typically been against public policy for hundreds of years as a wagering contract. There was a big fight at the NAIC level (national association of insurance commissioners) to amend its model laws on this stuff to place a 5-year limitation on the sale/transfer of such a policy to cut down on an investor's interest in pre-funding the initial premiums to purchase the policy (the theory being that if you make them wait 5 years for a return, the deal isn't such a great investment).

Most insurance companies are actually against this kind of thing, since it is usually a bad deal for insureds and, in the extreme, can subject one to the potential of the people holding your policy wanting you dead as soon as possible and acting on that (and, of course, messing with the actuarial t ables and causing earlier payouts than predicted). The reason someone with an "insurable interest" can procure a policy on your life without your consent is the (perhaps outdated) idea that they have a reason for you to live (wife, son, father, etc.) apart from a solely monetary one and don't just want you dead. When you viate a policy, you could be agreeing to additional transfers of that policy to people who are entitled to information about your health status, whereabouts, etc., and who could be tied to the mob. And if you die tomorrow and pay off $5M on their $250K investment from just 3 months ago... well that would just be a shame, wouldn't it?

Last edited by Ksyrup : 03-30-2012 at 08:16 AM.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:36 AM   #12
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I took an insurance law class and remember the professor saying that in Olde England during a capital murder trial there would be booths outside the courthouse where people could buy short-term life insurance contracts on the defendant.

Apparently, back then, once you were found guilty, they killed you pretty much right then. So the "life insurance" was really just a way to legally gamble on the outcome of the trial.

That story was a lot more fun when I thought of it as something from back in the day. Picturing Tony Saprano with a viable interest in some random guy in New Jersey having an accident? Not as much fun.
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:46 AM   #13
Ksyrup

When I practiced in Florida, I got involved in some of the initial laws/rules the DOI had to enforce/promulgate to try to rein in the industry and some of the practices they were using (one of my good friends from the Department became the "guru" on the industry after I left). In private practice, my firm was the receiver for a viatical company that went insolvent (there was a ton of fraud involved - clean-sheeting (fraudulently applying for insurance policies by failing to disclose terminal illnesses, etc.) and the like), and I learned way more than I ever wanted to know about the industry.

I still remember the main guy in our firm who handled the case on-site telling us about finding a drawer filled with country flags that the company would fly when potential investors would come in to visit them, and finding a Vatican flag among them. I don't know if the The Vatican has or is invested in viaticals, but they were interested enough to visit one, at least. That just blew my mind.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 03-30-2012 at 08:47 AM.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:52 AM   #14
spleen1015
Coordinator

It would be awesome if it turns out that the insurance company they lost all of this money to was owned/operated by an Oklahoma booster.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 09:21 AM   #15
Ksyrup

Ironically, Oklahoma's insurance department was run by a corrupt commissioner back about a decade ago. One of our clients at the time got majorly fucked by him and his campaign coordinator/attorney and ended up losing his insurance company because of it. So I wouldn't necessarily dismiss that possibility...

Former Insurance Commissioner Carroll Fisher sentenced to 6 months | NewsOK.com
Old 03-30-2012, 10:19 AM   #16
Passacaglia
Coordinator

I question the idea that they have an insurable interest, really. These boosters are just sitting on money, right? So if the booster dies, I'm guessing a large sum is already on its way to the school via the booster's will. And the income from this money is still there, so depending on who takes over, a similar stream may be coming in.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 10:20 AM   #17
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
I question the idea that they have an insurable interest, really. These boosters are just sitting on money, right? So if the booster dies, I'm guessing a large sum is already on its way to the school via the booster's will. And the income from this money is still there, so depending on who takes over, a similar stream may be coming in.

This is exactly what I was thinking.

I bet Okie St is ashamed that this info is now public knowledge.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 03-30-2012 at 10:21 AM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:27 PM   #18
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Welcome to Human Credit Default Swaps!

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:35 PM   #19
RainMaker
General Manager

It's a common practice. Look up "Dead Peasan insurance". Companies will buy a bunch of life insurance policies on their employees. Not executives either, but low level employees who are not vital at all to a company. It's an investment scheme since the life insurance policies provide good tax credits/deductions. It is incredibly common, just not a lot of people know about it. Your employer might have one on you right now.

sterlingice is correct that it's human credit default swaps.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:24 PM   #20
tarcone
Coordinator

What I got out of it, is that Iowa is 20th on the list of most valuable college football teams.

Go Hawks!
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:37 PM   #21
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I know it is common with corporations, but this is the first I've heard of a school doing this with their boosters.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote