Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-13-2012, 10:10 AM   #1
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

The Office (US) & the Aftermath of Steve Carell's Departure

http://www.grantland.com/blog/hollyw...an-it-be-fixed

Quote:
The departure of Michael Scott — and Carell’s goofy, glue-like charisma along with him — has exposed foundational rot of the sort not usually seen outside of Schrute Farms.

While Steve Carell's Michael Scott could sometimes be so utterly ridiculous that it was painful, his charisma really did seem to hold the show together. I guess its like Peyton Manning and the Colts - only when he's gone do you see how much he was needed. I know that it would be hard to replace Michael Scott, but did ANYONE realize just how horrible it would turn out without him?

ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:16 AM   #2
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
The Office: Can It Be Fixed? - Hollywood Prospectus Blog

While Steve Carell's Michael Scott could sometimes be so utterly ridiculous that it was painful, his charisma really did seem to hold the show together. I guess its like Peyton Manning and the Colts - only when he's gone do you see how much he was needed. I know that it would be hard to replace Michael Scott, but did ANYONE realize just how horrible it would turn out without him?

I am not a fan of Andy Greenwald. I have read a number of his TV reviews and we just don't see eye-to-eye on many things. Our tastes are very different.

That said, I have only watched the first 2 or so post-Michael Scott episodes of The Office. I have all of the rest sitting on my DVR, but haven't had the desire to watch them.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:30 AM   #3
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

I honestly don't think the show has been that bad since he left. Not a fan of Robert California, but it still has its moments.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:31 AM   #4
Danny
Head Coach

I still enjoy the show. It's not what the same quality as its prime, but just as good as the last season or so with Carell.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:32 AM   #5
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I think aside from a few moments, here and there, it's been mostly dreck.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:35 AM   #6
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I'd say episode to episode the Office now is much more consistent than it has been the past two seasons. They have been doing more with the minor characters this season which has been great (Kevin is easily the best thing about this season), and they haven't overused Spader at this point.

The problem for me is the same one it's been for a while now and that is Jim and Pam are just played out. If the Office continues on I would love to see it happen with those two gone, but I know that is probably not an option.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:39 AM   #7
larrymcg421
Head Coach

The remaining episodes last season after Michael's departure were terrible. Will Ferrell just did not work at all. However, I think they've done a mostly good job with this new season. There have been a few terrible episodes, but overall I think it's been a pretty solid season.

I think Ed Helms makes for a terrific replacement, similar to Michael Scott but more sympathetic and not as crazy. Robert California's brand of craziness is pretty fun to watch, too. I think these two play off each other very well. I loved the episode where he told Andy not to hire his wife, but then kept making it impossible for him to follow through on that.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:41 AM   #8
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

One of the things is why is Robert at Scranton so much? It seems very strange considering he's the CEO and the headquarters are in Florida, right?
Old 01-13-2012, 11:45 AM   #9
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
One of the things is why is Robert at Scranton so much? It seems very strange considering he's the CEO and the headquarters are in Florida, right?

Jo may have been in Florida because that's where she wanted to be, for weather and maybe tax purposes. However, Dunder-Mifflin before it was bought was a regional NE company and Scranton was their top selling branch. Who knows about the rest of Sabre industries, but to me it makes sense why he'd pay particular interest to Scranton and try to keep it strong.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 11:49 AM   #10
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

He does actually make mention of that in last night's episode too (why he is in Scranton so much).

It hasn't been their strongest season, but I think making Andy the manager and Robert the CEO was their best choice. Andy fits that role really well. There have been some good funny moments this season and they have done a pretty good job of using the strong supporting cast (especially in last night's episode - I always love me some good Kevin moments). I hope they don't try and drag this series on for too many more seasons though...it has MAYBE one past this one, if that. Don't let it outlive its welcome
PackerFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 12:38 PM   #11
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Jo may have been in Florida because that's where she wanted to be, for weather and maybe tax purposes. However, Dunder-Mifflin before it was bought was a regional NE company and Scranton was their top selling branch. Who knows about the rest of Sabre industries, but to me it makes sense why he'd pay particular interest to Scranton and try to keep it strong.

Haven't seen the last ep yet for explination, but Sabre's HQ is in Tallahassee. And obviously, Sabre was making more money, which is why it was able to buy out Dunder Mifflin.
Old 01-13-2012, 07:59 PM   #12
Mota
College Benchwarmer

I'm enjoying this season more than the past 2 or so seasons. I loved Michael Scott and the weird stuff he brought, but it was played out after so many episodes. Having Andy as the manager is a big change and they've been able to create some good moments from it.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 08:58 PM   #13
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
I'd say episode to episode the Office now is much more consistent than it has been the past two seasons. They have been doing more with the minor characters this season which has been great (Kevin is easily the best thing about this season), and they haven't overused Spader at this point.

The problem for me is the same one it's been for a while now and that is Jim and Pam are just played out. If the Office continues on I would love to see it happen with those two gone, but I know that is probably not an option.

(WARNING DRAMA LIT POST AHEAD)

Structurally this is the problem with a lot of sitcoms. Comedy is generally built around a young couple that can't be together for various reasons. In a film the eventual unification of the young couple marks the end of the story. In a sitcom the unification of the lovers often leaves the writers with no plot arc to pursue. Think about how many sitcoms fell apart once the lovers got together. The only real solution is to find a new pair to focus on, but in The Office you can't break up Jim/Pam and it's nearly impossible to find another couple.

Last edited by JPhillips : 01-14-2012 at 10:54 AM.
JPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 10:39 AM   #14
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Haven't seen the last ep yet for explination, but Sabre's HQ is in Tallahassee. And obviously, Sabre was making more money, which is why it was able to buy out Dunder Mifflin.

They were a stronger company than DM, but Scranton was the only profitable part of DM, and may be Sabre's most profitable branch. But, the explanaition was on Thursday's show. Robert California hates Florida, has a home in Scraton, and is there as much as he can get away with.

Personally, I have liked this season. But then I am not a hater-fan. Hater-fans have been watching since season 1, and have been saying it sucked since season 2.5. Why you still watching, bro?
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 10:52 AM   #15
Danny
Head Coach

Jim and Pam really have not been featured this season. They need to have Jim there for his interactions with the others in the office, but they should really just write Pam to be a stay at home mom or work at a different place and only be on the show occasionally.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:50 PM   #16
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Personally, I have liked this season. But then I am not a hater-fan. Hater-fans have been watching since season 1, and have been saying it sucked since season 2.5. Why you still watching, bro?

Neither am I . If you recall, I've been defending the last two Carell seasons (though they weren't as good as earlier, I'll admit).
Old 01-14-2012, 01:08 PM   #17
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
(WARNING DRAMA LIT POST AHEAD)

Structurally this is the problem with a lot of sitcoms. Comedy is generally built around a young couple that can't be together for various reasons. In a film the eventual unification of the young couple marks the end of the story. In a sitcom the unification of the lovers often leaves the writers with no plot arc to pursue. Think about how many sitcoms fell apart once the lovers got together. The only real solution is to find a new pair to focus on, but in The Office you can't break up Jim/Pam and it's nearly impossible to find another couple.

I agree that this is a big piece to what is missing. And, I also think that the animosity between "corporate" and the office (and Michael as the in-between) has been missing and has made that part of the show change, as well. At the very beginning, there was always the overriding fear of layoffs and/or the office closing. Sprinkle in the corporate initiatives and dynamics (sexual harassment, diversity, no more Jan or David Wallace, Ryan's diminished role, the trips to New York, etc.) and you are missing a lot of the fun stuff from the early days.

Now, Jim got the girl, Michael got the girl, and all the jobs are safe. Essentially, everyone got what they wanted and now, the show is kind of without direction. I still like it and watch it every Thursday (as opposed to many of my shows that sit on my DVR for awhile), but it has lacked direction for awhile.

It seems like they are trying to introduce some romances (Andy-Erin, Darrell-new dock worker, Angela-the Senator), but they are taking too long to develop or being ignored. They've also introduced characters and then kind of forgotten them (Timothy Olyphant and the new receptionist from last season).
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 02:14 PM   #18
Raiders Army
Coordinator

This week's episode was really good and had some LOL moments. We rewatched it just now and during Dwight's interview with Gabe I noticed that Gabe has an AAM (Army Achievement Medal) in the background. Apparently Robert California's grandfather won a few of them. Nice touch.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 02:39 PM   #19
Danny
Head Coach

Can I send in 20 names? Stacey Kiebler and Erin Andrews really should have been on my list
Old 01-14-2012, 02:40 PM   #20
Danny
Head Coach

Oops wrong thread
Old 01-14-2012, 03:24 PM   #21
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
Can I send in 20 names? Stacey Kiebler and Erin Andrews really should have been on my list
They sound like interesting additions to The Office (US) cast, that's for sure.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 03:25 PM   #22
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Seriously though, The Office without Michael Scott? That sounds similar to Two and a Half Men without Charlie Harper...
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 07:48 PM   #23
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
I agree that this is a big piece to what is missing. And, I also think that the animosity between "corporate" and the office (and Michael as the in-between) has been missing and has made that part of the show change, as well. At the very beginning, there was always the overriding fear of layoffs and/or the office closing. Sprinkle in the corporate initiatives and dynamics (sexual harassment, diversity, no more Jan or David Wallace, Ryan's diminished role, the trips to New York, etc.) and you are missing a lot of the fun stuff from the early days.

Now, Jim got the girl, Michael got the girl, and all the jobs are safe. Essentially, everyone got what they wanted and now, the show is kind of without direction. I still like it and watch it every Thursday (as opposed to many of my shows that sit on my DVR for awhile), but it has lacked direction for awhile.

It seems like they are trying to introduce some romances (Andy-Erin, Darrell-new dock worker, Angela-the Senator), but they are taking too long to develop or being ignored. They've also introduced characters and then kind of forgotten them (Timothy Olyphant and the new receptionist from last season).

Very well put.
PackerFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:57 PM   #24
PilotMan
Head Coach

I love James Spader, but this character doesn't seem to click for me. I think Andy is a terrible pivot point for the show. I think his character isn't nearly deep enough, he just comes across like a #4 starting pitcher trying to make it as the ace. It's just not happening. The last couple seasons have been heading down, but it's still on my watch list.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 07:01 AM   #25
stevew
Hall Of Famer

They should have fired about half of the cast in a major purge, and then gradually introduced new members.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:03 PM   #26
PilotMan
Head Coach

I am wondering if maybe they didn't "Jump the Shark" with this last episode, "Pool Party". I mean, in the moment, it was amusing, but thinking back on it, it just felt like maybe they were really trying too hard.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:13 PM   #27
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

I watch it, but I don't know why to be honest. Jim and Pam aren't particularly interesting, the characters have all been there, done that - there's no conflict or boredom anymore. Andy Bernard is just no Michael Scott.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 03:19 PM   #28
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Sabre's HQ is based in Tallahassee, but the Dunder Mifflin HQ's (pre-Sabre) was in NYC.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:06 PM   #29
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

I'd argue that the show's biggest loss was actually that of Michael Schur when he left to form Parks and Rec after Season 4. Arguably, the quality of The Office has gone down since then while Parks and Rec (after struggling to find their niche the first season) has excelled.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:44 AM   #30
korme
Go Reds

"Back in college....I used to get wicked hammered. They called me puke...I would chug a fifth of SoCo, sneak in to a frat party, polish off a few people’s empties, some brewskies, some Jell-O shots. Do some body shots off myself. Pass out. Wake up the next morning. Puke, rally, more SoCo, head to class. Probably would have gotten expelled if I’d let it affect my grades. But I aced all my courses. They called me Ace. I was totally awesome. I got straight Bs. They called me Buzz."
korme is offline   Reply With Quote