Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-10-2012, 06:52 PM   #1
JediKooter
Coordinator

Jolly Olde England

So, I may have an opportunity to go to London in May. Won't know if I'm going until next week at the earliest though.

I have a place to stay, so that's a non issue (I have a cousin that lives there). I won't be driving as I planned to utilize public transportation as much as possible.

So....recommendations?

Thanks!

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4

JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 06:56 PM   #2
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
So....recommendations?

Thanks!

I recommend you try to go if at all possible. You should also make every attempt to enjoy the trip.

Just a couple of ideas off the top of my head.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 06:59 PM   #3
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shkspr View Post
I recommend you try to go if at all possible. You should also make every attempt to enjoy the trip.

Just a couple of ideas off the top of my head.

I definitely will make every attempt to enjoy the trip for sure and it's just a matter of getting the time off from work. Won't know until my boss gets back.

I've spent a total time of about 14 hours in England and enjoyed every minute of it.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
Old 01-10-2012, 07:11 PM   #4
BYU 14
Coordinator

An EPL match is a must, even if you are not a big soccer fan, just for the atmosphere (and partying) alone.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 07:14 PM   #5
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
An EPL match is a must, even if you are not a big soccer fan, just for the atmosphere (and partying) alone.

That thought actually crossed my mind. Hopefully I won't be converted into a hooligan.

Old 01-10-2012, 07:15 PM   #6
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Just wanted to throw it out there. I'm a helper.

In all seriousness, the best advice I can give from my trips to England is to not worry about the history too much. Years afterwards, I can't even remember much of the endless parade castles, halls, manors, and estates we visited. If you want to "sightsee", take the time before you go to figure out exactly what you want to see, and make that your historical focus. For me, that was Holy Trinity Church, in Stratford-upon-Avon, where I got the opportunity to go behind the rope and lay a wreath on Shakespeare's grave.

If you travel often, it might lose its alienness, but just getting out and doing English things was more magical than hitting up tourist traps. Seeing a West End show, catching an EPL match, browsing an English bookstore - those were the memories I treasure far more than visiting The Tower of London or the London Dungeon (both of which are cool, don't get me wrong).
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 07:25 PM   #7
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

I recommend you go to my previous thread about going to London.

If you'll be there on a Saturday morning, Borrough Market is an amazing open air farmer's market type thing. I went and got a great breakfast and some curries and marmalades to bring home. It's right near London Bridge (not Tower Bridge). It's in the same area as the haunted thing a lot of people recommended I do (but I didn't).

If you like Indian food, a walk on Brick Lane is fun. There is also a great record and CD shop there, Rough Trade Records.

I enjoyed taking the ferry down the Thames to the Royal Observatory. Some of the park area was cordoned off for the upcoming Olympics, which was a bummer. But you can still go to the Observatory and do stuff..like put one food in each hemisphere. There's also a maritime museum down the hill from the observatory which is pretty nice.

I totally thought the London Eye would be totally gimmicky, but I ended up going at dusk and it was a) not very crowded (especially compared with how it was during the day) and b) a great view at dusk. While you're there you can walk around Big Ben, Parliament, and if you want pay 16 quid to get into Westminster Abbey.

Trafalgar Square is kinda cool with the National Gallery. And The British Museum was amazing. I went once and only scratched the surface (when I went they were having a special exhibit on The Book of the Dead.

For less-traveled things I've heard good things about the Victoria & Albert Museum and Kensington Gardens. Bet they're nice in the spring.

Also, it's LONDON. Catch a show.

I did the Yeoman Warder tour of Tower of London and was kind of ambivalent about it. I think there are better ways to spend time.

I'd also consider taking a train to Edinburgh if you can. Edinburgh and Cambridge are on my wish-list for next time (if I get to go again for work).

Pics from two of my three most recent trips, if it's helpful:
London Trip 12-17 December 2010 - a set on Flickr
London, 18-22 May, 2011 - a set on Flickr

Feel free to drop me a PM or ask here, I've now been 4 times and no longer really feel like a "tourist" when I go. Not a native, but not a tourist, either. More local-ish.
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 07:25 PM   #8
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shkspr View Post
Just wanted to throw it out there. I'm a helper.

In all seriousness, the best advice I can give from my trips to England is to not worry about the history too much. Years afterwards, I can't even remember much of the endless parade castles, halls, manors, and estates we visited. If you want to "sightsee", take the time before you go to figure out exactly what you want to see, and make that your historical focus. For me, that was Holy Trinity Church, in Stratford-upon-Avon, where I got the opportunity to go behind the rope and lay a wreath on Shakespeare's grave.

If you travel often, it might lose its alienness, but just getting out and doing English things was more magical than hitting up tourist traps. Seeing a West End show, catching an EPL match, browsing an English bookstore - those were the memories I treasure far more than visiting The Tower of London or the London Dungeon (both of which are cool, don't get me wrong).

I love history, so I would like to hit some of the historical areas/places. Would love to squeeze in a trip to Hadrians (sp?) Wall. See the cliffs of Dover. Abbey Road. Liverpool (yes I'm a huge Beatles fan). My cousin said something about getting on a list to get into Buckingham Palace. I'll probably try and hit an EPL match if it's in the budget.

I've never been a fan of tourist traps. I've always wandered off the 'beaten path', so to speak and have always found that to be the most enjoyable. I have Scottish ancestry, so it would be awesome if I can fit a day or 2 trip in there some how to Scotland.

Old 01-10-2012, 07:28 PM   #9
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
I recommend you go to my previous thread about going to London.

If you'll be there on a Saturday morning, Borrough Market is an amazing open air farmer's market type thing. I went and got a great breakfast and some curries and marmalades to bring home. It's right near London Bridge (not Tower Bridge). It's in the same area as the haunted thing a lot of people recommended I do (but I didn't).

If you like Indian food, a walk on Brick Lane is fun. There is also a great record and CD shop there, Rough Trade Records.

I enjoyed taking the ferry down the Thames to the Royal Observatory. Some of the park area was cordoned off for the upcoming Olympics, which was a bummer. But you can still go to the Observatory and do stuff..like put one food in each hemisphere. There's also a maritime museum down the hill from the observatory which is pretty nice.

I totally thought the London Eye would be totally gimmicky, but I ended up going at dusk and it was a) not very crowded (especially compared with how it was during the day) and b) a great view at dusk. While you're there you can walk around Big Ben, Parliament, and if you want pay 16 quid to get into Westminster Abbey.

Trafalgar Square is kinda cool with the National Gallery. And The British Museum was amazing. I went once and only scratched the surface (when I went they were having a special exhibit on The Book of the Dead.

For less-traveled things I've heard good things about the Victoria & Albert Museum and Kensington Gardens. Bet they're nice in the spring.

Also, it's LONDON. Catch a show.

I did the Yeoman Warder tour of Tower of London and was kind of ambivalent about it. I think there are better ways to spend time.

I'd also consider taking a train to Edinburgh if you can. Edinburgh and Cambridge are on my wish-list for next time (if I get to go again for work).

Pics from two of my three most recent trips, if it's helpful:
London Trip 12-17 December 2010 - a set on Flickr
London, 18-22 May, 2011 - a set on Flickr

Feel free to drop me a PM or ask here, I've now been 4 times and no longer really feel like a "tourist" when I go. Not a native, but not a tourist, either. More local-ish.

Awesome TK! I'm about to leave work, so I will read your post over again when I get home.

Old 01-10-2012, 07:38 PM   #10
ColtCrazy
College Starter

I actually love the history of England, but if you are in London there's scores of things you can do for any taste.

History: The Natural History Museum is a great place to visit. The British Museum is good as well. Also take a look at the Cabinet War Rooms. The Transportation Museum got a recent overhaul as well, and it's near another great site, Covent Gardens.

Markets: I've never been to the one around Notting Hill but I hear it's good. I have been to Camden Market, which is an eye opener. Definitely a "rougher" crowd but some cool sites. Also, the market at Covent Gardens is great.

Just Wonder: In fact, just a great day of walking is starting around Covent Gardens and head toward Trafalgar Square. Within striking distance you have Soho (a real eye opener!), Leicester Square, Picadilly Circus....even a trip into the toy story Hamley's an experience.

The river around the Eye is nice too. You have Westminster and Big Ben there.

I totally suggest you take a Duck Tour. It'll take you on a street tour of some sites in London, then it goes up the Thames for a little bit. Fun trip.

You definitely won't be bored. Enjoy! I just found out I get to work at the school again this summer so I'll be just outside of London for 2 months. Looking forward to it.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 07:39 PM   #11
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Also would recommend St. Paul's Cathedral. And there's also The Monument, a monument to the Great Fire of London and is supposed to be where the fire started. You can go up it.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:08 PM   #12
Logan
Head Coach

I was there for a week in September for work. My favorite part of it was all the very solid Middle Eastern food on Edgware Road.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 11:31 AM   #13
JediKooter
Coordinator

TK: Awesome pictures! Took me a while to get through them, but, I liked them. Not big on Indian food (it all pretty much tastes the same to me, no matter the dish). Looks like I will need to prioritize what I want to do/see before I get there. I want to try and get out of the city and into the country. I'll definitely send a PM as plans get set.

ColtCrazy: The Natural History museum definitely looks like a place I'd like to see. I'm sure my cousin knows where those markets are by now. She's been there for almost a year now, so that should be no problem to hit up the markets. Definitely want to visit Trafalgar Square. Thanks man! I would be surprised if I got bored while I was there.

Logan: I do like some middle eastern food. I'm a bit picky, but, knowing there's a pretty big middle eastern population in London, it shouldn't be hard to find some good food there.

Old 01-11-2012, 12:15 PM   #14
Super Ugly
High School JV

+1 on the Middle Eastern food recommendation, but I'd be personally offended if you visited London and didn't go to an Indian restaurant. My friend moved to NYC last year, and he says the only thing it lacks is a decent curry house. I haven't been yet, but people rave about Tayyabs over in Whitechapel.

I'd also recommend heading out of London to do a bit of sightseeing. Edinburgh is a hell of a long way (I think it's about 5-6 hours by train), but Cambridge is very easy to get to (and is where I grew up, so I'd be happy to offer some recommendations on what to do). You've also got Brighton on the south coast if you want to mix London night life with the sea side.
Super Ugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 12:29 PM   #15
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Ugly View Post
+1 on the Middle Eastern food recommendation, but I'd be personally offended if you visited London and didn't go to an Indian restaurant. My friend moved to NYC last year, and he says the only thing it lacks is a decent curry house. I haven't been yet, but people rave about Tayyabs over in Whitechapel.

I'd also recommend heading out of London to do a bit of sightseeing. Edinburgh is a hell of a long way (I think it's about 5-6 hours by train), but Cambridge is very easy to get to (and is where I grew up, so I'd be happy to offer some recommendations on what to do). You've also got Brighton on the south coast if you want to mix London night life with the sea side.

Hehe. I don't really like curry all that much unfortunately and I can't stand coconut. Two ingredients they seem to use a lot of in their dishes. I like the way it smells though. Kind of like coffee. I can't stand coffee, but, I like the way it smells.

Would love to go to Edinburgh for sure. I don't think the train ride would bother me unless I had to stand the whole way. I don't know much about Cambridge other than the university. So yes, bring on the recommendations. I didn't even think of Brighton. Weren't there some kind of memoirs written on beach there? Quick question: How long of a train ride is it to Paris from London?

Old 01-11-2012, 02:25 PM   #16
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
Would love to go to Edinburgh for sure. I don't think the train ride would bother me unless I had to stand the whole way. I don't know much about Cambridge other than the university. So yes, bring on the recommendations. I didn't even think of Brighton. Weren't there some kind of memoirs written on beach there? Quick question: How long of a train ride is it to Paris from London?

If you are travelling to Edinburgh for a short stay it might be cheaper to fly.

http://www.ryanair.com
Book cheap flights online. Low cost flights & deals from easyJet

Paris to London is just under 2hr 20mins according to the Eurostar website.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 03:40 PM   #17
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan S View Post
If you are travelling to Edinburgh for a short stay it might be cheaper to fly.

http://www.ryanair.com
Book cheap flights online. Low cost flights & deals from easyJet

Paris to London is just under 2hr 20mins according to the Eurostar website.

Whoa. Those are cheep air fares, impressive. Thank you for the links.

2 hours and 20 minutes isn't bad at all. So much to see in so little time.

Old 01-11-2012, 03:45 PM   #18
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Oh...and if you do go...don't forgot you need a wingman...luggage person to go with you...if it's for work...just tell George I will do it for ya!
Old 01-11-2012, 03:48 PM   #19
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
Oh...and if you do go...don't forgot you need a wingman...luggage person to go with you...if it's for work...just tell George I will do it for ya!

Already taken care of, sorry man.

My best friend is supposed to go with me. However, if he cancels, I'll let you know.

Old 01-11-2012, 03:55 PM   #20
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
So....recommendations?

Um...take me with you?
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 03:58 PM   #21
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
Um...take me with you?

Ok. You're after MacroGuru then. Which puts you at number 3 on the list.