Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-07-2012, 10:03 PM   #1
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Putting Windows on a Macbook question

It's not that there isn't a wealth of knowledge out there for this, but there's so much that it's a little overwhelming. I want to put Windows on my Macbook to run a few old programs I have and to run Old Republic as well. It seems that Bootcamp is my best option, performance wise. What do I actually need to get this done? Do I need a disk copy of Windows 7? Thanks. I can usually do most things with a computer, but this seems like a big move and it's got me hesitant.

ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 10:18 PM   #2
Lonnie
High School Varsity

Yes you need a Windows 7 disc/license. Then you pretty much follow the instructions for Bootcamp. Apple has a good page that pretty much covers it all. Apple - Support - Boot Camp

Once done you either fully boot to OSX or Windows, so there's no overlay or virtual machine involved and you can get full performance for your Windows games. I actually have Vista installed on mine and have been too lazy to redo it with Win 7.
Old 01-07-2012, 10:25 PM   #3
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Yes, you will need a copy of Windows to install. Bootcamp allows you to essentially create a drive partition to run Windows on your Mac.

It's not your only option, but your only option that comes installed with Mac's OS. The downside is that you can only run either the Mac OS or Windows ... you can't run both at the same time.

I have Parallels installed on my Macbook and I'm generally pleased with it. It allows you to run Windows and the Mac OS simultaneously. However, I've had some crash disasters with my Mac and while I've never been able to trace them back to Parallels, I have my suspicions. I've considered uninstall Parallels and Windows to see if that makes a difference.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 01:57 PM   #4
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Thanks guys. I'll snag a Windows disc and go from there. Hoping I have the guns to run Old Republic.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 06:39 AM   #5
Icy
Pro Starter

I use both bootcamp and WMware Fusion or Parallels.

When I need to run resource intensive games like BF3 or Skyrim, I use bootcamp to run Windows 7 natively, when I just want to play a text sim or an old game, I run windows inside OSX in a virtual machine through WMware or Parallels.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote