Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-29-2011, 09:41 AM   #1
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Any advice on going to a Lakers game at Staples?

My son and I are thinking about attending a Laker game. We both live in Iowa and the plan is to go to Vegas for a few days with our wives, and maybe our daughter if she's on spring break, and then for a Friday night game rent a car and drive to LA for the game. Wives will get an enjoyable trip to LV and will not be going to the game. After the game our plan is to just drive back to Vegas. Google shows 4 and 1\2 hours drive which would be ok.

Looking for thoughts and advice on this plan. How hard to get in and out on a Friday night (looking at the Portland game March 23(?) game), parking, maybe a place to eat in the vicinity (not fancy just something to eat to keep us going), or anything else you can think of.

Still in the planning stages and hopefully we can pull it off. We get to see our Lakers on their home floor and the women won't complain if they are having fun in Vegas.

Thanks.

Sweed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 10:02 AM   #2
MrBug708
Head Coach

Traffic will depend on where you are coming from and what time. The drive from Vegas shouldn't be that bad as you are coming from the East, which is more or less opposite of the traffic patterns. There are a few restaurants around there that you can eat at, though they will be busy before and after the game.

Parking isnt so bad, just park two blocks away and not in the convention parking and it usually is like 10 dollars. Further away is like 5, though that is putting more walking distance from you and the stadium and while it isn't unsafe, you never know.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 10:36 AM   #3
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Traffic will depend on where you are coming from and what time. The drive from Vegas shouldn't be that bad as you are coming from the East, which is more or less opposite of the traffic patterns. There are a few restaurants around there that you can eat at, though they will be busy before and after the game.

Parking isnt so bad, just park two blocks away and not in the convention parking and it usually is like 10 dollars. Further away is like 5, though that is putting more walking distance from you and the stadium and while it isn't unsafe, you never know.

lol

Thanks. My thought was to leave LV around noon and get there around 5:30 figuring in any delays or bathroom stops. Figured traffic would be going out so hoping it wouldn't be terrible. My son and his wife have been to LA a couple of times visiting friends and attended a Dodger game but didn't go by Staples. So he has driven there and said it really wasn't too bad other then leaving Dodger Stadium.

Definitely parking within a couple of blocks. Figured it would be in the $20 range, surprised its ~$10.
Old 12-29-2011, 11:01 AM   #4
MrBug708
Head Coach

I'm not used to the "urban" lifestyle like one would in a New York city or other place like that so I don't feel that comfortable walking around at night. It's very clean though, so it shouldnt be much of a problem.

$20 dollar parking in the covered parking next door or across the street. Just venture east of the Staples Center 2 blocks and it's down to $10. It's not really a big deal for that.

Last edited by MrBug708 : 12-29-2011 at 11:02 AM.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 11:07 AM   #5
AnalBumCover
College Starter

For a Laker game, figure $20 for parking at the surrounding parking lots. The local hotspot adjacent to the Staples Center is L.A. Live. There are tons of restaurants of different varieties to choose from.
Old 12-29-2011, 12:45 PM   #6
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

You might research the cost of taking a quick commuter flight and taxi there and back. Southwest and other discount airlines often have very good prices for small jumps like these, and there are a lot of flights between LAX and Vegas. The combo of roundtrip/quick turnaround flight and taxi might be less than renting a car and paying for gas. Not to mention, travel drops to three hours at most, from nine or more. You would also drop the cost of parking.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 01:00 PM   #7
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
You might research the cost of taking a quick commuter flight and taxi there and back. Southwest and other discount airlines often have very good prices for small jumps like these, and there are a lot of flights between LAX and Vegas. The combo of roundtrip/quick turnaround flight and taxi might be less than renting a car and paying for gas. Not to mention, travel drops to three hours at most, from nine or more. You would also drop the cost of parking.
Burbank (aka Bob Hope) Airport is a good alternative to LAX.
Old 12-29-2011, 01:30 PM   #8
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:

Assuming you arrive even somewhat close to game time you will be walking in a large group of people or at the very least there will be tons of cars and other people around. I have never heard about anyone getting hurt in walking to or from the stadium.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 01:31 PM   #9
Danny
Head Coach

Though I have never actually been to a Lakers game, only many hockey games, so perhaps Lakers fans are more rowdy.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 01:33 PM   #10
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post

Thanks, will look into it. Glad we're planning in advance and very glad I have a source like fofc to come to for advice.
Old 12-29-2011, 02:37 PM   #11
Ryan S
Quarterback

The game may finish too late for you to get a return flight on the day of the game, so you may need to budget for a hotel room.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 02:49 PM   #12
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Staples doesn't have large screen TV's, Why you'd want to watch a basketball game at an office supply store is beyond me...

Grin, duck.. RUN!
Old 01-02-2012, 01:26 PM   #13
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Well, it's all set. We are going to a game at Staples.

Ends up being just me and my son as the women's schedules didn't fit into the plan. Flying to Vegas on Sat. March 17th getting in ~1:30 in the afternoon, giving us some look around time. Then pick up a car Sunday and driving to LA for the 6:30 Sunday night game vs. Utah. Driving back to Vegas and spending a couple of days small time gambling and a run out to the Hoover Damn.

Been watching the Lakers since 1971 and have seen them play at Minnesota a few times over the years. Never thought I'd make it to a home game. It's going to be sweet
Old 01-02-2012, 06:43 PM   #14
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:

I usually just park in Long Beach and take the metrorail. It's usually cheaper and you don't have to deal with Downtown traffic. YMMV.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:16 PM   #15
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
I usually just park in Long Beach and take the metrorail. It's usually cheaper and you don't have to deal with Downtown traffic. YMMV.

I actually used to do this, too, but for Kings games.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:38 AM   #16
digamma
Torchbearer

The new LA Live stuff around Staples Center is fantastic, and has really changed the whole scene of downtown. There are lots of bars and restaurants both in the LA Live complex and within a block or two radius. You can probably find decent parking in the $20 range, cheaper if you're willing to walk a few blocks. If you want to walk a few blocks stay north and east of Staples.

As it gets closer, feel free to bump this for specific restaurant suggestions.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 01:25 PM   #17
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Quote:
I've always wondered - how is the Blue Line post-game (after 10pm)?
Old 01-03-2012, 01:29 PM   #18
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalBumCover View Post
I've always wondered - how is the Blue Line post-game (after 10pm)?

I can only speak from doing the Who concert a couple years ago, I think we left at like 11 or so we had no issues. Other than that I'm usually leaving much earlier because I do it when I go to the convention center. Most recently parked at the end of the 105 (Green Line) and transferred to the Blue Line, did that at around 10 PM after hanging out with a friend after E3, it worked out well too.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 02:54 PM   #19
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I can only speak from doing the Who concert a couple years ago, I think we left at like 11 or so we had no issues. Other than that I'm usually leaving much earlier because I do it when I go to the convention center. Most recently parked at the end of the 105 (Green Line) and transferred to the Blue Line, did that at around 10 PM after hanging out with a friend after E3, it worked out well too.

This is actually what I and my bro used to do for the Kings games. We never had any issues, and we did it something like 10 times over two seasons. But this is going back a bit, probably 6-7 years ago.

Old 01-03-2012, 03:35 PM   #20
AnalBumCover
College Starter

I do this (Green Line to the Blue Line) every day for my commute to work, but hardly ever past normal working hours. I've always wondered what creatures appear when the sun goes down and the moon is full.