Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-07-2003, 05:07 PM   #1
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

OOTP5.13 Manager Career

THE SETUP

I’ve decided to crank up OOTP5, what with the new patch and all. I tried a manager career, which I was really enjoying, but it ended due to what I believe was a freak corruption of the game files. I’ll be backing up my league this time.

I started with fictional players, and a 30-team MLB setup, and simmed the 2003-2049 seasons yesterday to give me a good bit of history and records. The 10 years of the 2040’s saw nine different World Series champs, with Milwaukee sweeping Toronto for the most recent title.

I take over a struggling Cincy franchise in 2050. Here is the 4-1-1 on me as a manager:

Birthday: 12/23/2010
Basic Skill: Balanced
Special Skill: Negotiation
Difficulty: Big League (Avg)

Here's the situation in Cincy:

Mood: 70
Chemistry: 80
Owner Type: Bad Dude (rather impatient)
Owner Expectation: Do not finish last in 2050!
Team Market: Good
Fan Loyalty: Average
Fan Interest: 25

On the field, this bunch has stunk for a while. We've lost 95+ games for three straight years, haven't been to the postseason in 17 years, and have only finished over .500 once in the last 11 years.

EDIT: After the conversation below about difficulty levels, I changed it to average. I am not willing to sacrifice statistical integrity for challenge

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 10-09-2003 at 05:46 AM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 06:29 PM   #2
Ben E Lou

THE BRIGHTEST STARS IN THE UNIVERSE

Here is the lowdown on a few of the elite players in the league right now.

3B Scot Sherron—St. Louis, Age 32—9/10/10
Sherron could be on his way to shattering the career records for HR and RBI. He’s hit at least 47 homers for each of the past six seasons, and has 504 for his career. Sherron also has 200+ hits in each of the last five seasons, giving him 2212 for his career.

CF James Fairman--Florida, Age 29—8/9/10
He was 24 during his first full season in the bigs, and 26 before he put up big-time numbers, so he’ll likely never be a record-holder, but right now he’s probably the best all-around player in the game. Last year he hit 40 homers, drove in 102 runs, scored 133 runs and stole 53 bases while batting .329. Right now there appear to be no weaknesses in his game. Over the last three seasons, he has twice as many walks as strike outs!

SS Jorge “The Dream” Sardina--KC, Age 31—6/10/10
The Dream has hit 40+ homers in six of the last seven seasons, and the year that he didn’t achieve that mark, 2047, he appeared to be on his way to his best season ever, hitting .330 with 30 HR’s after 81 games, but he had a season-ending injury. He came back the next year to hit .314 with 55 HR’s and 152 RBI’s though. The Dream also has B range at SS.

SP Kenneth Fichter—Arizona, Age 35—8/9/8/5
Fichter topped off an already-very-strong career with a 22-5, 2.15 ERA season in 2049, good for the Cy Young Award. He seems to have gotten better with age, putting up an aggregate 49-14 record with an ERA around 2.45 over the last three seasons. Overall, he’s 166-88 iwht a 3.11 ERA, with 2054 career strikeouts. Fichter’s no slouch with the stick in his hand either. He has a career .261 batting average.

SP Edward Cory-Philadelphia--age 37—8/7/9/6
He’s a likely Hall-of-Famer, still getting it done in the twilight of his career. Cory has 216 career wins, and posted a 2.92 ERA and 234 1/3 IP last year. He has 3,416 career strikeouts, and has led the league in that category eight times.

3B Donald “The Paladin” Johnson—age 28—6/8/10
This guy played his first full season in the bigs at age 190 and hit 24 homers and stole 31 bases, and hasn’t looked back since. At age 28, he already has 1524 hits, 2 Gold Gloves, and an MVP Award. Last year (his MVP year), he batted .299 with 45 homers, 149 RBI and 30 SB’s, and he has “A” range at 3B.

There are certainly other very talented players in the league, but these six were worthy of individual mention.
Old 10-07-2003, 06:38 PM   #3
markprior22
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally posted by SkyDog
THE BRIGHTEST STARS IN THE UNIVERSE

3B Donald “The Paladin” Johnson—age 28—6/8/10
This guy played his first full season in the bigs at age 190 and hit 24 homers and stole 31 bases, and hasn’t looked back since.

Age 190 ?...did this dude come from Japan or what?
markprior22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 07:17 PM   #4
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally posted by markprior22
Age 190 ?...did this dude come from Japan or what?
LOL. That should read "19."
Old 10-07-2003, 09:50 PM   #5
Swaggs
Coordinator

I will be watching this one, but I hope you don't screw yourself with the Hall of Fame difficulty. I have heard that the AI pretty much "cheats" to make the game difficult and the players underperform.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 05:17 AM   #6
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally posted by Swaggs
I will be watching this one, but I hope you don't screw yourself with the Hall of Fame difficulty. I have heard that the AI pretty much "cheats" to make the game difficult and the players underperform.
Heh. Because you mentioned it, I remembered that I asked about that very same thing, and got a response from Markus. I'm changing the level to "AVERAGE" for this game. I'm not interested in playing at a level where my guys take a performance hit. HERE is a link to the discussion.
Old 10-09-2003, 06:23 AM   #7
Ben E Lou

2050 CINCINNATI POSITION REPORTS

CATCHER
King Triplett (Good/Avg/Avg,6/4/6,26yo) has put up back-to-back pretty solid offensive seasons in the bigs (.286-12-76 in ’49), and he has “A” range as a catcher. There are no other catchers worth mentioning.

OVERALL THOUGHTS: Triplett has two more seasons before he’s FA-eligible. He’ll do for now.

FIRST BASE
The AI picked Gonzolo Sainz (Good/Brl/Brl,5/9/8,24yo) #1 overall in 2048, and put him into the starting lineup on the big club immediately. He showed signs of big things to come last year, hitting 31 homers before tearing a calf muscle in late August. He only has “D” range, and he’s slow as molasses (E’s across the board). He looks to have another two weeks of recovery time left from his injury.

OVERALL THOUGHTS: Sainz looks like a star-to-be. No other 1B on the roster has more than 2 stars.

SECOND BASE
Tony Clark (Good/Avg/Avg,6/3/6,27yo) was the starter last year. He hit .296 with very little pop, and an OPS of .729. He handles the bat pretty well, and can play 2B or SS with C range. He’s a 2.5 star player. Also worth mentioning, because of his salary and not his talent, is Cristian Ramos (Fair/Fair/Fair,3/2/4,39yo). Ramos was once a 30-homer guy, but he’s washed up offensively. He still, however, has B range. He’s making $3.35M and is signed through 2051. Bummer.

OVERALL THOUGHTS: Clark looks like a viable option until something better comes along. I’ll be happy to get rid of Ramos’ salary burden. I hope he retires after this year.

THIRD BASE
Kevin Baier (Avg/Avg/Avg,5/4/6,34yo) was acquired via trade last year and was the starter the rest of the way. He has had an OPS of .807 or higher in each of the last three seasons, but I fear he’s fading. He’s got C range at 2B/3B/SS. Also on the roster is Higinio Valdivia (Avg/Good/Brl,3/6/6,26yo). Valdivia hit 30+ homers 6 times in the minors. If he can increase that contact number, he could be a viable option.

OVERALL THOUGHTS: Both of these guys are iffy..

SHORTSTOP
Charles Carter (Good/Good/Good,6/5/7,29yo) is the best option, but he has “E” range. He’s been a solid offensive SS throughout his 11-year career in the bigs. He was .305-23-79 last year at the plate. The one 3-star prospect I have, [b]Charles Falcone (Good/Fair/Avg,2/2/4,22yo), also has “E” range.

OVERALL THOUGHTS: I’ll see if I can trade Carter and Falcone for a good defensive SS.

LEFT FIELD
Bill “Cowboy” Harris (Fair/Good/Brl,3/5/8,23yo), had a decent year at the plate, hitting .275 with 21 homers and 76 RBI’s. He’s got “C” range and an “E” arm. We’ve got only two other guys in the organization at LF, and neither of them appears to be big-league material at all.

OVERALL THOUGHTS: Harris looks like the kind of guy I should leave in the lineup and hope he gets better at contact hitting. He’s young, cheap, and bats left-handed.

CENTER FIELD
Emmanuel “Cowboy” Davis (Avg/Good/Brl,4/5/7,21yo) gives us a pair of cowboys in the outfield. He was the computer’s 1(1) pick last year, and went straight to the bigs. He played 150 games and was .230-12-60. He has D Range in CF, and C in RF. William Hester (Good/Avg/Good,4/3/6,26yo) is also worth mentioning. He hit .290 in limited big league action last year. He’s got D range in CF, and B in LF.

OVERALL THOUGHTS: I’d prefer better defense in CF than Cowboy Davis or Hester can give us. Davis may get traded for a defensive CF.

RIGHT FIELD
John “Viper” Wadley (Avg/Brl/Brl,4/5/6,23yo) is an all-around talent, with “A” range in RF and “B” in CF, with a “C” arm. He also has “B” speed and stealing ability. He hit .390 in AA last year before getting called up to the big club (prematurely) and batting .182 in 192 at bats.

OVERALL THOUGHTS: I don’t have a lot of money to sign FA’s, so I’ll likely move Wadley to CF and Davis to RF.

STARTING PITCHER
Jeramy Bennet (Good/Good/Brl,8/6/8,E endu) looks like a guy who could benefit greatly from improved defense. He doesn’t strike out a lot of people. He went 9-9 with a 4.79 ERA and 129 K’s last year. Right now he’s the best I’ve got. {shudder} Mark Sells (Good/Avg/Brl,7/6/7,E endu) also looks like he’s got decent tools. He was 7-15 with a 5.36 ERA last year. Finally, there’s the aging Jaime Dejesus (Avg/Good/Avg,6/7/5,E). Dejesus is making $8.6M this year, which is the final year of his contract. He’s had a good career, turning in 187 wins, a 3.83 ERA and two all-star selections. He was 9-15 with a 4.73 last year. If he can give us one more decent season, I’ll be very happy, but I’m not holding my breath either.

We have one prospect worth mentioning at this point, 4-star man Bobby Pederson (Good/Avg/Good,2/5/4,25yo,”B” endu). He posted a 2.88 ERA in AA last year.

OVERALL THOUGHTS: I only have three serviceable starting pitchers, and none of them look like they can be #1 or #2 starters. I need to spend money to bring in two solid starters.

RELIEF PITCHING
Closers: We have a top-tier closer in Christopher Holtzman (Brl/Good/Brl,10/7/8,28yo). Holtzman has 54 saves over the last two seasons, and turned in a 1.87 ERA in ’49. He’s got another season before he can become a FA.

Lefties: None worth mentioning.

Righties: Johnathan Clover (Good/Brl/Good,8/8/6,27yo,A) looks to be the primary set-up man. He pitched in 106 games last year, with a 4.30 ERA and 122 K’s in 115 innings. WE also have Wilfredo Opitz (Good/Avg/Brl,6/4/7,D), who put up a 5.34 ERA in his first full season in the bigs last year. He had a 2.97 ERA in AA in ’48, and then a 1.50ish ERA in 9 games split between AA and AAA last year before getting called up to The Show.

OVERALL THOUGHTS: The ‘pen has the most important pieces in place, the closer and the setup guy. If I can fill in the blanks via late FA pickups, particularly a solid lefty, this could be a strength.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 10-09-2003 at 06:24 AM.
Old 10-09-2003, 07:38 AM   #8
Ben E Lou

2050 FREE AGENCY PERIOD REPORT

TRADES
Well, there’s a superstar SS available via free agency, with A range, and a 2nd baseman I have my eye on as well. I decide to attempt to trade for a third baseman. Boston has a guy I like, and one of the guys who would complete the trade is SS Carter! Perfect! I pick up 3B Leandro Pesante (Avg/Good/Brl,6/6/9,24yo), who is FA-eligible after this season. He has C range, and hit .268 with 20 homers and 75 RBI last year. He is a former 1(3) pick.

Here’s the financial situation:
Cash on Hand: $25,000,000
Total Payroll: $37,717,258
Last Year Income: $54,821,196
Available Money: $42,103,938

DESIRES
I’d love to grab starters at 2B and SS, 2 SP’s, and a good lefty RP. One of the game’s young up-and-coming superstars is available as a FA SS, so he’s the priority.

SIGNINGS
SS Maurice Foster (Good/Brl/Brl,7/8/10,27yo,A range)—One of the game’s brightest young stars signs with us!!! I coughed up $16M for 4 years and got him. He’s had 35+ homers and batting averages in the 290’s the last 2 seasons, and has a Golden Glove at SS as well. There’s nothing not to like about this kid!
RP Christian Martin (Good/Avg/Fair,7/6/4,26yo)—I got him for three years at $1.8M. He is a lefty, and threw 103.1 innings last year with a 4.70 ERA.
SP Kurt Taylor (Good/Brl/Brl,9/7/9,28yo,C endu)—This lefty gets a 6-year deal worth $11.3M a year. He’s won 16 games each of the last three seasons, and last year put up a 3.69 ERA and 209 K’s. I’m hoping he can be the staff ace.
SP Albert Nelson (Good/Good/Brl,7/7/8,26yo,D endu)—This youngster has won 13 or more games (and pitched 220+ innings) each of the last four seasons. He was 14-16 with a 4.02 ERA last year for the World Champion Brewers, and was 3-0 with a 2.10 in the postseason. If he can fill the #2 slot in the rotation and give me 220 innings, I’ll be happy.
RP Algredo Abella (Good/Good/Fair,8/8/5,26yo—Another solid-looking lefty for the ‘pen. I’m paying him $2.55M per year.
RP Edward Rieke (Avg/Good/Good,6/6/7,28yo—Should be our main middle relief guy. Righty. $1.875 per year for four years.

POST-FREE AGENCY THOUGHTS
I sign several guys that I need, particularly shoring up the pitching and defense. I still am VERY young in the outfield though, and have virtually no depth. I’ve got a good nucleus to build from though, and should be a threat to finish .500 this year.
Old 10-09-2003, 08:03 AM   #9
Ben E Lou

2050 CINCINNATI SPRING TRAINING REPORT

Quote:
Patrick Beasley has good batting practice sessions!
Patrick Beasley displayed poor strike zone judgement!
Higinio Valdivia has good batting practice sessions!
Higinio Valdivia displayed poor strike zone judgement!
Leandro Pesante displays more power in batting practice!
Leandro Pesante showed good strike zone judgement!
Henry Rizo has good pitching sessions!
Henry Rizo has lost some throwing velocity.
Steffen Burgess has good pitching sessions!
Mark Sells has good pitching sessions!
John Wadley has good batting practice sessions!
John Wadley displayed poor strike zone judgement!
Deon Morales has good batting practice sessions!
Ramiro Moncada has good pitching sessions!
Ramiro Moncada has lost some throwing velocity.
Daniel Randles has good batting practice sessions!
Daniel Randles displayed poor strike zone judgement!
Jeramy Bennet has good pitching sessions!
Jeramy Bennet has lost some throwing velocity.
Gonzalo Sainz has good batting practice sessions!
Bill Harris has good batting practice sessions!
Bill Harris displayed poor strike zone judgement!
Ronald Reasoner has good pitching sessions!
Christian Martin has good pitching sessions!
Christian Martin has lost some throwing velocity.
Jaime Dejesus has good pitching sessions!
Jaime Dejesus has lost some throwing velocity.
Albert Nelson has poor pitching sessions.
Albert Nelson has increased his throwing velocity!
Frank Mangual improves his defense at First Base.
Frank Mangual has poor batting practice sessions.
Robby Bence has good pitching sessions!
Joel Punch has good pitching sessions!
Bobby Pederson has good pitching sessions!
Bobby Pederson has lost some throwing velocity.
Richard Sova has good pitching sessions!
James Kuehn has good pitching sessions!
Jonathan Clover has good pitching sessions!
Donald Mcintire has good pitching sessions!
Adam Lafferty improves his defense at Centerfield.
Adam Lafferty has poor batting practice sessions.
Adam Lafferty displayed poor strike zone judgement!
Emmanuel Davis has good batting practice sessions!
Bill Fleming seems to have lost some power.
Ray Kaster has good batting practice sessions!
Ray Kaster displays more power in batting practice!
Ray Kaster showed good strike zone judgement!
Michael Parsley displays more power in batting practice!
Wilfredo Opitz has good pitching sessions!
Charles Falcone improves his defense at Shortstop.
Charles Falcone displays more power in batting practice!
Charles Falcone displayed poor strike zone judgement!
Ramon Casares seems to have lost some power.
Zoilo Ojeda has good pitching sessions!
Zoilo Ojeda has improved his control!
Dewey Tuohy improves his defense at First Base.
Dewey Tuohy seems to have lost some bat speed, resulting in less contact...
Dewey Tuohy has poor batting practice sessions.
Walter Carmona has good batting practice sessions!
Walter Carmona displays more power in batting practice!
Richard Iesada has good pitching sessions!
Richard Iesada has lost some throwing velocity.
Christopher Holtzman has lost some throwing velocity.
Terusaburou Kokei has good pitching sessions!
Ezequiel Mazza has good pitching sessions!
Curtis Ferreri improves his defense at Shortstop.
Marcos Barros displayed poor strike zone judgement!
Michale Canto improves his defense at Catcher.
Michale Canto has poor batting practice sessions.
Michale Canto displayed poor strike zone judgement!
Dan Minto displays more power in batting practice!
Dan Minto showed good strike zone judgement!
Carl Hamilton displayed poor strike zone judgement!
Jason Stevens has good batting practice sessions!
Jason Stevens displays more power in batting practice!
Tony Clark has poor batting practice sessions.
Tony Clark displays more power in batting practice!
Shawn Alvarez improves his defense at First Base.
Joel Rotella has lost some throwing velocity.
Joel Rotella has improved his control!
Jason Gress improves his defense at First Base.
Jason Gress displayed poor strike zone judgement!
Alfredo Abella has good pitching sessions!
Barney Hentz has lost some power...
Barney Hentz seems to have lost some power.
Benjamin Lopez has good pitching sessions!
Benjamin Lopez has lost some throwing velocity.
Jerome Ulloa has good pitching sessions!
Jerome Ulloa has lost some throwing velocity.
Albert Selby has good batting practice sessions!
Albert Selby seems to have lost some power.
Albert Selby displayed poor strike zone judgement!
Randy Theriot improves his defense at Shortstop.
Randy Theriot plate discipline seems to have faded...
Randy Theriot displayed poor strike zone judgement!
Herman Summerlin has good pitching sessions!
Herman Summerlin has lost some throwing velocity.
Antoine Sanchez has good pitching sessions!
Antoine Sanchez has lost some throwing velocity.
Old 10-09-2003, 08:26 AM   #10
Swaggs
Coordinator

Does King Triplett hit 18-20 Triples a season?

If not, what a waste of a great baseball name.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 08:34 AM   #11
Ben E Lou

2050 CINCINNATI MAJOR LEAGUE LINEUPS AND ROTATIONS

Batting Order vs. RHP
1. 2B Clark (6/3/6)
2. C Triplett (6/4/6)
3. SS Foster (7/8/10)
4. 1B Sainz (5/9/8)
5. 3B Pesante (6/6/9)
6. RF Davis (4/5/7)
7. LF Harris (3/5/8)
8. CF Wadley (4/5/6)

Batting Order vs. LHP
1. 2B Clark (6/3/6)
2. CF Wadley (4/5/6)
3. SS Foster (7/8/10)
4. 1B Sainz (5/9/8)
5. 3B Pesante (6/6/9)
6. RF Davis (4/5/7)
7. C Triplett (6/4/6)
8. LF Harris (3/5/8)

Pitching Rotation
1. Taylor (9/7/9)
2. Nelson (7/7/8)
3. Bennet (8/6/8)
4. Sells (7/6/7)
5. DeJesus (6/7/5)
CLOSER: Holtzman (10/7/8)

Outlook
This bunch looks decent, but not great. We may struggle to score runs with that lineup. We have very little depth, and not much in the minors, so if we suffer injuries, things could get ugly in a hurry.
Old 10-09-2003, 09:26 AM   #12
Ben E Lou

APRIL 2050

THIS MONTH’S RECORD: 15-12
OVERALL RECORD AT MONTH-END: 15-12
CURRENT STANDING: 2nd place, five games behind first-place St.L, four games ahead of last-pace Chi and Hou.

MAJOR INJURIES:
William Hester, our backup CF, breaks his wrist and is out for the season, leaving us with even LESS of a bench. L

TEAM NEWS FROM THIS MONTH
Quote:
Tuesday 4/1/2050 :

Steffen Burgess refused assignment to the minors.Maurice Foster crushes 2 homers against Colorado.

Friday 4/11/2050 :

Gonzalo Sainz has 4 hits against Houston.

Saturday 4/12/2050 :

Maurice Foster crushes 2 homers against Houston.

Saturday 4/19/2050 :

King Triplett has 4 hits against Los Angeles.

Thursday 4/24/2050 :

King Triplett drives in 5 runs against Arizona.

Wednesday 4/30/2050 :

Emmanuel Davis drives in 5 runs against New York (N).

MAJOR LEAGUE PERFORMANCES OF NOTE/LINEUP CHANGES/ROTATION CHANGES:
PITCHING STAFF—Mark Sells had a very good month, leading the rotation in ERA, and going 2-2 with a 1.78 ERA. MR Jonathan Clover pitched in 20 games and turned in a 2.04 ERA, and Holtzman had a 1.93 ERA and 6 saves. Overall, the staff is 4th in the bigs with a 3.92 ERA.

HITTING—Offensively, we’re dead last with a .241 team batting average, and 26th with 123 runs scored. FA signee SS Foster has looked like a stud, as expected, batting .302 with 9 homers and 16 RBI. C Triplett has been surprising, hitting .348 with 16 RBI and 5 SB. The good news is that no one in the lineup has been utterly horrid. The worst is Wadley, hitting .219 with 2 HR and 9 RBI. No one other than him in the starting eight is hitting less than .233.

SEASON-TO-DATE TEAM STATISTICAL LEADERS
AVG: C Triplett--.348
HR: SS Foster--9
RBI: Triplett, Foster and RF Davis all have 16.
SB: Triplett, 2B Clark, and CF Wadley all have 5.
SP ERA: Sells—1.78
RP ERA: Holtzman—1.93
SAVES: Holtzman--6
SP K’s: Taylor--41

PLAYER DEVELOPMENT:
Quote:
Monday 4/7/2050:
Joel Punch has worked out more, his duration raises to D ...
Bobby Pederson's control seems to have taken a bump...
Dewey Tuohy increased his bat control, resulting in more contact!

Monday 4/14/2050:
Richard Sova's control seems to have taken a bump...
Dan Minto is getting faster, his speed increases to A ...
Kevin Baier plate discipline seems to have faded...

Monday 4/21/2050:
Bobby Pederson has lost some lower body strength, his duration drops to C ...
Pederson drops to Good/Avg/Avg, and is down to 3.5 stars as a prospect.

AAA NOTES
No prospects of note.

AA NOTES:
SP Donald Mcintire—5-0, 1.88, (1/3/6)—3.5 stars
SP Bobby Pederson—2-1, 2.55, (2/5/4)—3.5 stars

A NOTES:
SS Charles Falcone--.362-05-21-.979OPS (2/2/4)—3.5 stars

PERSONAL DIARY ENTRIES:
I asked Carly, the Mrs., if she’s ready for kids. She said no.

TRADES
None.

MONTHLY AWARDS
Wednesday 5/1/2050 :
American League-Pitcher of the Month:
Pedro Moreno (BOS)!
He had a record of 5-0 in 6 games started, with an ERA of 2.11.
American League-Batter of the Month:
Jerome Costillo (MIN)!
He batted .344 in 90 AB, with 12 homers and 26 RBI.
National League-Pitcher of the Month:
Richard Mata (BOS)!
He had a record of 3-0 in 5 games started, with an ERA of 1.31.
National League-Batter of the Month:
Floyd Delgado (MON)!
He batted .320 in 103 AB, with 9 homers and 31 RBI.

OTHER IMPORTANT LEAGUE NEWS
Friday 4/4/2050:
NY: Tony Marquez hits his 500th career homer!!

Monday 4/28/2050:
TB: David Ballenger pitches a NO-HITTER against Kansas City!!
Old 10-09-2003, 09:42 AM   #13
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by SkyDog
Heh. Because you mentioned it, I remembered that I asked about that very same thing, and got a response from Markus. I'm changing the level to "AVERAGE" for this game. I'm not interested in playing at a level where my guys take a performance hit. HERE is a link to the discussion.

I hope Markus gets rid of this performance hit on higher levels, if not I won't be getting ootp6.. I don't think. I want a harder game, but players shouldn't take a performance hit because of it. It's a text game for crying out loud, statistical integrity is the basis of the game.

With that, good luck with your career!

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 10:00 AM   #14
Ben E Lou

MAY 2050

THIS MONTH’S RECORD: 14-13
OVERALL RECORD AT MONTH-END: 29-25
CURRENT STANDING: Second place, 6 games behind division-leading Mets, 10 games in front of last place Pirates.

MAJOR INJURIES:
None.

Quote:
Saturday 5/3/2050:
Gonzalo Sainz hits a 483-foot homerun!!

Friday 5/9/2050:
King Triplett has 4 hits against St. Louis.

PITCHING STAFF—FA signess Taylor and Nelson have settled in as the staff leaders, as was expected, and Holtzman continues to be very strong as closer. We’re 3rd in MLB with a 4.05 ERA. Lookin’ good.

HITTING—The team batting average drops even more, to .234, still #30, and we’re #28 in runs scored. Triplett continues to tear it up, and he’s now at .353. LF Harris is down to .186, but has shown a little pop with 7 HR’s. Lineup stays the same.

AVG: C Triplett--.353
HR: SS Foster--17
RBI: Foster--33
SB: CF Wadley--10
SP ERA: Taylor—3.57
RP ERA: Holtzman—1.61
SAVES: Holtzman--15
SP K’s: Taylor--72

PLAYER DEVELOPMENT:
Quote:
Monday 5/5/2050:
Leandro Pesante positions himself better now, his range at 3B increases to B !
Bill Fleming is getting faster, his speed increases to B ...

Monday 5/19/2050:
Zoilo Ojeda has lost some movement on his pitches...
Zoilo Ojeda's control seems to have taken a bump...
William Hester plate discipline seems to have faded...

Monday 5/26/2050:
Gonzalo Sainz has learned reading pitchers better, his stealing ability raises to D ...
Ezequiel Mazza has lost some movement on his pitches...
Ezequiel Mazza's control seems to have taken a bump...
Love seeing that defense improve at starting 3B! The other changes looks to be largely inconsequential.

AAA NOTES
No prospects of note.

AA NOTES:
SP Donald Mcintire—8-2,2.61 (1/3/6)—3.5 stars
SP Bobby Pederson—2-1, 2.58, (2/5/4)—3.5 stars

A NOTES:
SS Charles Falcone--..330-5-32-.862OPS (2/2/4)—3.5 stars

PERSONAL DIARY ENTRIES:
None.

TRADES
None.

MONTHLY AWARDS
Kenneth Orozco (OAK)!
He had a record of 4-1 in 6 games started, with an ERA of 1.00 and 2 shutouts.

Jorge Sardiña (KC)!
He batted .330 in 97 AB, with 8 homers and 26 RBI.

Juan Jimenez (MIL)!
He had a record of 4-0 in 6 games started, with an ERA of 1.62.

Ray Ballesteros (MON)!
He batted .378 in 90 AB, with 15 homers and 28 RBI.

Wednesday 5/28/2050:
MIN: Diego Breton hits his 600th career homer!!

1B Diego “Sleeper” Breton, still a 4-star guy at age 37, passes the 600 HR mark. He had a 70-HR season for Minnesota, the only team he’s ever played for, in 2046, and hit .250 with 24 HR’s and 100 RBI’s last season. He’s a 9-time All-Star, 2 time Gold Glove, and 1-time MVP. He holds the single season records for HR (70) and RBI (183).
Old 10-09-2003, 10:05 AM   #15
ShagVT
H.S. Freshman Team

I'm shocked SkyDog took anybody besides his beloved Braves! I guess the disgust from yet another premature playoff exit is just a little too fresh.

GO CUBS! :-)
ShagVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 10:19 AM   #16
Ben E Lou

2005 AMATEUR DRAFT REPORT

DRAFT POSITION: 4

DRAFTEES
1. C Samuel Barrerra (Good/Good/Good),22yo,5 stars—Has the potential to be a great one. He has an average arm
2. SP Edward Edelen (Avg/Avg/Avg,19yo,3 stars)—Has “B” endurance. Could be an inning-eater one day.
3. CF Carlos Marrero (Fair/Fair/Fair,19yo,2 stars) ”A” range at all three OF positions, and a “B” arm. If he can improve his hitting, he could at least be a utility outfielder.
4. 2B/SS Mitch Guglielmo (Fair/Fair/Fair,22yo,1.5 stars)—Has B range at 2B and SS. Another guy who could be a decent backup if he learns to hit a little.
5. SP/RP Santiago Baque (Avg/Avg/Good,24yo,3 stars)—Has “E” duration as a starter. Could become a decent SP.
6. 2B/3B/SS/LF/RF Nickolas Alfred (Fair/Poor/Avg,18yo,1 star)—Can play five different positions and is young. Worth a flier.
7. MR Robert Val (Fair/Avg/Avg,23yo,2 stars)—Not much hope, but at least he has “A” duration and “A” range.

POST-DRAFT TOP TEN MINOR LEAGUE SYSTEMS
1. Philly
2. Atlanta
3. New York (A)
4. Pittsburgh
5. Chicago (N)
6. Chicago (A)
7. Boston
8. Anaheim
9. New York (N)
10. Oakland

We’re #22 now. (We were #29 before the draft.)

CINCINNATI TOP 100 PROSPECTS
C Samuel Barrera (23rd)
Old 10-09-2003, 10:46 AM   #17
Ben E Lou

JUNE 2050

THIS MONTH’S RECORD: 15-11
OVERALL RECORD AT MONTH-END: 44-36
CURRENT STANDING: 2nd place, 7 games behind St.L. 4 games behind wild card leader Arizona.

MAJOR INJURIES:
None.

Quote:
Sunday 6/1/2050:
Terusaburou Kokei has been released.

Sunday 6/15/2050:
Maurice Foster has 5 hits against Florida.
Maurice Foster has 5 RBI against Florida.

Monday 6/16/2050:
Maurice Foster was named Player of the Week!
He batted .591 in 22 AB, with 3 HR and 10 RBI.

Monday 6/23/2050:
Kurt Taylor pitches a 3-hit shutout against Chicago (N)!!.

PITCHING STAFF—Still relying on pitching and defense. The rotation ERA’s range from 2.98 to 4.73. Overall, we’re still third, with a 4.00.

HITTING—The average comes up a couple of points, to .236, but we’re still last, and 29th in runs scored. We’ve got a shot of having five guys hit 20 or more homers..

AVG: C Triplett--.336
HR: SS Foster--22
RBI: Foster--52
SB: CF Wadley--15
SP ERA: Taylor—2.98
RP ERA: Holtzman—1.48
SAVES: Holtzman--23
SP K’s: Taylor--103

PLAYER DEVELOPMENT:
Quote:
Monday 6/2/2050:
Deon Morales is getting faster, his speed increases to C ...
Carl Hamilton plate discipline seems to have faded...
Jerome Ulloa's control seems to have taken a bump...

Monday 6/9/2050:
Cristian Ramos has lost some power...
Walter Carmona has learned reading pitchers better, his stealing ability raises to C ...
Ruperto Muñoz's control seems to have taken a bump...

Monday 6/23/2050:
Donald Mcintire's control seems to have taken a bump...
David Miller has lost some momentum, his stealing ability drops to D ...

Monday 6/30/2050:
Joel Punch seems to have improved his pure stuff!
Joel Punch's pitches have more bite now, the movement has improved!
Joshua Beier is getting faster, his speed increases to B ...
Edward Edelen seems to have lost some of his feel for his stuff...
Mcintire drops to 3 stars from 3.5. 2nd-round draft choice Edelen looks like he’s going to disappoint. He drops to 2 stars.

AAA NOTES
No prospects of note.

AA NOTES:
SP Bobby Pederson—5-2,2.88, (2/5/4)—3.5 stars
C Samuel Barrerra--.281-4-10-.811 OPS—5 stars

A NOTES:
SS Charles Falcone--…317-6-36-.829OPS (3/2/4)—3.5 stars—He’s ready to get called up to AA. I call him up.

PERSONAL DIARY ENTRIES:
Carly filed for a divorce.

TRADES
None.

MONTHLY AWARDS
Carlos Alonso (BAL)!
He had a record of 4-1 in 6 games started, with an ERA of 2.01.

Richard Diebold (NY)!
He batted .374 in 99 AB, with 12 homers and 31 RBI.

David Martin (COL)!
He had a record of 6-0 in 6 games started, with an ERA of 1.54.

Frank Matz (SL)!
He batted .485 in 99 AB, with 5 homers and 29 RBI.

None.
Old 10-09-2003, 11:11 AM   #18
Ben E Lou

JULY 2050

THIS MONTH’S RECORD: 16-9
OVERALL RECORD AT MONTH-END: 60-45
CURRENT STANDING: 2nd place, 3 games behind St.L. Tied for Wild Card lead with Arizona!

MAJOR INJURIES:
MR Jonathan Clover got hurt on the 25th, and is listed as 7-8 weeks. He could be done for the year (herniated disk).

Quote:
Thursday 7/3/2050:
P Kurt Taylor will play in the OOTP-Allstar game!
C King Triplett will play in the OOTP-Allstar game!

Monday 7/7/2050:
King Triplett has 5 RBI against Arizona.
Maurice Foster has 4 hits against Arizona.

Thursday 7/10/2050:
Gonzalo Sainz slams 2 homers against Montreal.
Gonzalo Sainz has 7 RBI against Montreal.

Saturday 7/12/2050:
John Wadley has 4 hits against Milwaukee.

Thursday 7/17/2050:
Kurt Taylor strikes out 11 against Houston.

Friday 7/18/2050:
King Triplett has 5 hits against Houston.

Tuesday 7/22/2050:
Bill Harris hits a 452-foot homerun!!
Bill Harris slams 2 homers against San Francisco.

PITCHING STAFF—WE dropped to 4th in ERA, with a 4.11, as the middle relievers are struggling. SP5 Dejesus looks to be just about washed up now. He’s got a 6.75 ERA. I’ve got some roster filler types at AAA who can do just as well in the five slot. Dejesus refuses assignment to AAA, and gets cut. I call up Benjamin Lopez, who was 8-6 with a 4.03 ERA in AAA, to start in the #5 slot.

HITTING—The average comes up a couple more points, to .238, but we’re still last, but up to 23rd in runs scored. King Triplett is still hitting out of his mind.

AVG: C Triplett--.346
HR: SS Foster--30
RBI: Foster--71
SB: CF Wadley--18
SP ERA: Taylor—2.87
RP ERA: Holtzman—1.48
SAVES: Holtzman--33
SP K’s: Taylor--143

PLAYER DEVELOPMENT:
Quote:
Monday 7/7/2050:
Shawn Alvarez seems to have lost some bat speed, resulting in less contact...

Monday 7/14/2050:
Michale Canto is getting faster, his speed increases to D ...

Monday 7/21/2050:
Bill Fleming has improved his plate disclipine!
None of these changes appear to be difference-makers of any significance.

AAA NOTES
No prospects of note.

AA NOTES:
SP Bobby Pederson—8-3, 2.22, (3/5/4)—3.5 stars
C Samuel Barrerra--..308-9-24-.827OPS, (4/3/3)—5 stars—I think he’s ready for AAA. He gets the call-up.
SS Charles Falcone--.245-2-11-.637OPS (3/2/4)—3.5 stars—First month in AA goes pretty roughly for him. I’ll watch him.

A NOTES:

PERSONAL DIARY ENTRIES:
I’m now dating a chick named Lana. She’s 21.

TRADES
None.

MONTHLY AWARDS
Yasuharu Toyoshige (TB)!
He had a record of 4-1 in 6 games started, with an ERA of 1.52.

Jerome Costillo (MIN)!
He batted .345 in 87 AB, with 10 homers and 24 RBI.

Lucas Duque (NY)!
He had a record of 5-0 in 5 games started, with an ERA of 1.40 and 1 shutouts.

Frank Demko (NY)!
He batted .388 in 98 AB, with 11 homers and 33 RBI.

These players were selected for the AL OOTP-Allstar Team :
P John Sizer from Tampa Bay
P Kenneth Orozco from Oakland
P Carlos Alonso from Baltimore
P Gregory Hodo from Texas
P Jorge Lozoya from Kansas City
P Abraham Mader from Detroit
P Aaron Perez from Kansas City
P David Luse from Cleveland
P Sergio Granado from Texas
P Willie Hoffer Jr. from Detroit
C Augusto Aparicio from Baltimore
C John Minchew from Texas
1B John Miller from Boston
2B Jewell Crowl from Kansas City
3B Donald Johnson from Boston
SS Richard Diebold from New York (A)
LF Richard Manuel from Oakland
CF David Martinez from Tampa Bay
RF Ryan Reid from Toronto
1B Ben Soto from Texas
RF David Young from Minnesota
LF Edgar Sardiña from Tampa Bay
RF Timothy Suber from Texas
SS Jorge Sardiña from Kansas City
SS Jerome Costillo from Minnesota

These players were selected for the NL OOTP-Allstar Team :
P Carl Kehoe from St. Louis
P Lucas Duque from New York (N)
P David Martin from Colorado
P Kenneth Fichter from Arizona
P Frank Price from Montreal
P Kurt Taylor from Cincinnati
P Harry Parke from New York (N)
P Kenneth Crouse from Chicago (N)
P Albert Soto from Colorado
P Robert Henson from St. Louis
C Luis Devera from New York (N)
C King Triplett from Cincinnati
1B Ronald Mcpherson from Los Angeles
2B Richard Dolezal from Arizona
3B Scot Sherron from St. Louis
SS Patricio Rodriguez from Colorado
LF Leo Velazquez from Colorado
CF James Fairman from Florida
RF Frank Matz from St. Louis
1B Glenn Whitley from Arizona
CF Ray Ballesteros from Montreal
LF Frank Demko from New York (N)
LF Floyd Delgado from Montreal
SS Clyde Smithson from Philadelphia
2B James Marmol from Los Angeles
Old 10-09-2003, 11:45 AM   #19
Ben E Lou

AUGUST 2050

THIS MONTH’S RECORD: 16-13
OVERALL RECORD AT MONTH-END: 76-58
CURRENT STANDING: 2nd place, 4 games behind St.L. 1 game behind Arizona for Wild Card birth.

MAJOR INJURIES:
None.

Quote:
Friday 8/1/2050:
Jaime Dejesus refused assignment to the minors.
Jaime Dejesus has been released.
Bill Harris has 4 hits against San Diego.

Saturday 8/2/2050:
John Wadley has 4 hits against San Diego.

Monday 8/4/2050:
King Triplett has 4 hits against Los Angeles.

Tuesday 8/5/2050:
Maurice Foster hits a 454-foot homerun!!

Thursday 8/21/2050:
Tony Clark has 5 hits against Colorado.
Tony Clark drives in 7 runs against Colorado.

Thursday 8/28/2050:
Maurice Foster hits 2 homers against Montreal.

PITCHING STAFF—We’re up to #2 in team ERA, with a 4.20. Lopez did no better than Dejesus in the #5 slot, turning in a 1-2, 7.13 performance. I’ll give Henry Rizo, who is 8-14 with a 3.96 in AAA, a shot. Dejesus refuses assignment to AAA, and gets cut. I call up Benjamin Lopez, who was 8-6 with a 4.03 ERA in AAA, to start in the #5 slot.

HITTING—The team batting average jumps five more points, to .243 (still last), and we’re 24th in runs scored.

AVG: C Triplett--.348
HR: SS Foster--38
RBI: Foster--95
SB: CF Wadley--26
SP ERA: Taylor—3.23
RP ERA: Holtzman—1.73
SAVES: Holtzman--38
SP K’s: Taylor--185

PLAYER DEVELOPMENT:
Quote:
Monday 8/4/2050:
Gonzalo Sainz has lost some momentum, his stealing ability drops to E ...
Mitch Guglielmo seems to have lost some bat speed, resulting in less contact...
Mitch Guglielmo has lost some power...

Monday 8/11/2050:
Henry Rizo seems to have lost some of his feel for his stuff...
Henry Rizo has lost some movement on his pitches...
Maurice Foster has lost some momentum, his stealing ability drops to D ...
Michael Parsley has lost some power...
Joel Rotella has lost some lower body strength, his duration drops to C ...

Monday 8/18/2050:
Higinio Valdivia seems to have lost some bat speed, resulting in less contact...
John Wadley increased his bat control, resulting in more contact!
Michael Parsley seems to have lost some bat speed, resulting in less contact...

Monday 8/25/2050:
Curtis Ferreri has lost some momentum, his range at 3B drops to E ...
Curtis Ferreri has lost some momentum, his range at SS drops to E ...
Edward Rieke has lost some movement on his pitches...
Edward Rieke's control seems to have taken a bump...
Guglielmo was a draftee this year who I hoped would go UP in contact and power….GREAT to see Wadley getting a contact increase. He could be a superstar if he develops fully! He’s up to Good/Brl/Brl, 4/5/7…Rieke has been our most reliable MR this year. That could hurt…

AAA NOTES
C Samuel Barrerra--…167-0-1-.377OPS, (4/3/3)—5 stars—Ouch! A horrid first month at AAA.

AA NOTES:
SP Bobby Pederson—12-5, 1.99 (3/5/4)—3.5 stars
SS Charles Falcone--.256-2-16-.634OPS (3/2/4)—3.5 stars—A bit of improvement.

A NOTES:
No prospects of note.

PERSONAL DIARY ENTRIES:
None.

TRADES
None.

MONTHLY AWARDS
John Sizer (TB)!
He had a record of 6-1 in 7 games started, with an ERA of 1.69.

Anthony Kunkle (C()!
He batted .396 in 111 AB, with 8 homers and 26 RBI.

David Martin (COL)!
He had a record of 4-0 in 5 games started, with an ERA of 0.88 and 1 shutouts.

Ramon Aguila (PHI)!
He batted .382 in 102 AB, with 16 homers and 41 RBI.

Monday 8/25/2050:
ARI: Magglio Barinaga gets his 3000th career hit!!
Old 10-09-2003, 12:13 PM   #20
Ben E Lou

SEPTEMBER/OCTOBER 2050

THIS MONTH’S RECORD: 14-14.
OVERALL RECORD AT MONTH-END: 90-72.
CURRENT STANDING: 2nd.. We missed the division title by 3 games, and the Wild Card by 5 games.

MAJOR INJURIES:
None this month.

Quote:
Tuesday 9/2/2050 :
Gonzalo Sainz hits a 479-foot homerun!!

Sunday 9/7/2050 :
Leandro Pesante hits a 452-foot homerun!!
Leandro Pesante hits 2 homers against New York (N).

Tuesday 9/9/2050 :
Henry Rizo pitches a 5-hit shutout against New York (N)!!

Tuesday 9/16/2050 :
Kurt Taylor fans 11 batters against Pittsburgh.

Wednesday 9/17/2050 :
John Wadley has 4 hits against Pittsburgh.

Saturday 9/20/2050 :
Leandro Pesante slams 2 homers against San Diego.
Leandro Pesante has 7 RBI against San Diego.

Sunday 9/21/2050 :
Leandro Pesante has 4 hits against San Diego.

Sunday 10/5/2050 :
Leandro Pesante has 4 hits against San Francisco.

The pitching staff finished #5 overall with a 4.25 ERA, and we were dead last with a .244 batting average, and tied for 26th in runs scored.

YEAR-END STARTERS’ KEY STATS
2B Clark--.272-2-55,27SB
C Triplett--.331-19-89-18SB
SS Foster--.291-42-103, 108R
1B Sainz--.243-25-103
3B Pesante--.278-23-93
RF Davis--.198-16-73
LF Harris--.205-23-74
CF Wadley--.220-11-60,30SB

SP Taylor—19-9, 3.43
SP Nelson—18-12, 3.91
SP Bennet—12-15, 4.02
SP Sells—10-14, 4.26
SP Rizo—2-0, 3.28
CL Holtzman—4-1, 1.67,47SV (only 3 saves away from the all-time record of 50)

PERSONAL DIARY ENTRIES:
It is now considered a relationship with Lana.

TRADES
None.

MONTHLY AWARDS
Adam Sacks (SEA)!
He had a record of 3-0 in 4 games started, with an ERA of 1.21.

Donald Johnson (BOS)!
He batted .466 in 88 AB, with 13 homers and 32 RBI.

Wilfredo Hermosillo (COL)!
He had a record of 4-0 in 5 games started, with an ERA of 1.50.

Desmond Bleau (MON)!
He batted .412 in 97 AB, with 8 homers and 23 RBI.

None.
Old 10-09-2003, 12:28 PM   #21
Ben E Lou

2050 POST-SEASON REPORT

POTENTIAL FREE AGENTS/CONTRACT EXTENSIONS
SP Henry Rizo—He was 2-0 in the #5 starter slot late in the season, and only wants $360K for 2 years. An easy choice. He gets re-signed.
3B Leandro Pesante—23 homers, 93 RBI, and B range at 3B. He gets a three-year extension, worth $4.8M per year.
[ b]SS Joshua Beier[/b]—He was the backup SS this year, and he says he’s in his prime and wants to test the market. He re-signs for $890K per year for two years.
CL Christopher Holtzman—He has one more year before arbitration, but I bet he’d make as much or more than the $4M for 4 year deal he signs, so I lock him up.

PLAYOFF REPORT

DIVISION SERIES
Toronto over Tampa Bay, 3 games to 2
Chicago over Oakland, 3 games to 2
Colorado over StL, 3 games to 0
Montreal over New York, 3 games to 2

League Championship Series
Chicago over Toronto, 4 games to 2
Colorado over Montreal, 4 games to 2

World Series
The Chisox sweep the Rockies to win it all.

AWARDS
National League Rookie Of The Year Award:
Hector Colomo (MON)!
He batted .300 in 587 AB, with 44 homers and 123 RBI.

American League Cy Young Award:
John Sizer (TB)!
He had a record of 25-8 with an ERA of 3.24.
In 36 games started, he pitched 258.1 innings, fanning 189 and walking 29 batters.

American League MVP Award:
Anthony Kunkle (C()!
He batted .335 in 627 AB, with 43 homers and 142 RBI.

National League Cy Young Award:
Lucas Duque (NY)!
He had a record of 23-7 with an ERA of 1.85 and 3 shutouts.
In 37 games started, he pitched 277 innings, fanning 272 and walking 67 batters.

National League MVP Award:
Frank Matz (SL)!
He batted .406 in 552 AB, with 34 homers and 131 RBI.

American League Golden Glove Award Winners:
Pitcher: Gaspar Diaz (SEA)
Catcher: Gabriel Urena (OAK)
First Base: Frank Plath (BAL)
Second Base: Richard Diorio (ANA)
Third Base: Donald Johnson (BOS)
Shortstop: Charles Ryles (DET)
Leftfield: Jolbert Asuncion (KC)
Centerfield: Thomas Sobers (ANA)
Rightfield: Osvaldo Arvizu (TB)

National League Golden Glove Award Winners:
Pitcher: Avelino Chavez (PHI)
Catcher: David Montiel (C()
First Base: Enoch Dahl (C()
Second Base: Adrian Pahl (MIL)
Third Base: Rudolph Flickinger (LA)
Shortstop: Maurice Foster (CIN)—Way to go Maurice!
Leftfield: Floyd Delgado (MON)
Centerfield: Dan Donner (ATL)
Rightfield: Juan Carbonell (ATL)

MANAGER UPDATE
Quote:
I did alright this year in the mind of the owner. I met his expectations, which is a good thigng. Hearing around the league, and it looks like my reputation rose to Very inexperienced!

THOUGHTS
All the pieces are in place to bump us up to the next level if the youngsters in the outfield and at first base can begin to live up to their billing next year. I am VERY happy with this inaugural season.
Old 10-09-2003, 12:49 PM   #22
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally posted by ShagVT
I'm shocked SkyDog took anybody besides his beloved Braves! I guess the disgust from yet another premature playoff exit is just a little too fresh.

GO CUBS! :-)
I based my decision on the team that looked like the biggest challenge. I still have the printout of the spreadsheet I looked at to make my decision. Here was the situation in Cincy at the start:

PAYROLL: 40.3M
2049 ATT: 2.204M
FAN INT: 25
FA $$$ AVAIL: $39.52M
FARM SYSTEM: 0 (ranked #29)

Atlanta was an option. I looked at the teams with the 8 lowest payrolls in the NL. Here was the Braves' situation:

PAYROLL: $39.18M
ATT: 2.665M
FAN INT: 50
FA$$$: 25.95M
FARM SYSTEM: 99 (ranked #4)

With the strong good farm system and better fan interest, the Braves looked easier than I wanted to deal with. Of the eight teams I was looking at, Cincy ranked as follows:

PAYROLL: 6th
ATT: 8th
FAN INT: 8th
FA $$$ AVAIL: 7th
FARM SYSTEM: 8th

I think they truly were the best option for a challenge.
Old 10-09-2003, 01:54 PM   #23
Ben E Lou

2050 END OF SEASON REPORT

The end-of-2050 update has now been uploaded. It can be found HERE.
Old 10-09-2003, 04:25 PM   #24
Ben E Lou

2051 BEGINNING OF YEAR TEAM NEWS

Friday 1/31/2051:
[u]Robert Jack retires ...
He will be in the Hall Of Fame!
[/b]

Daniel Randles retires ...
Cristian Ramos retires ...
Albert Selby retires ...
Patrick Beasley gets a new one-year contract worth $300,000 through salary arbitration.
Mark Sells gets a new one-year contract worth $3,016,929 through salary arbitration.
Gonzalo Sainz gets a new one-year contract worth $3,711,786 through salary arbitration.
Bill Harris gets a new one-year contract worth $549,643 through salary arbitration.
Jonathan Clover gets a new one-year contract worth $1,092,500 through salary arbitration.
Wilfredo Opitz gets a new one-year contract worth $411,214 through salary arbitration.
Tony Clark gets a new one-year contract worth $983,929 through salary arbitration.
King Triplett gets a new one-year contract worth $2,259,643 through salary arbitration.
Benjamin Lopez becomes a free agent.

Jack met the 2,500 hits, .300 average criteria to get into the Hall. Click on his name above, and it is linked to his player card. He spent all of 2050 in the Minors.

Owner Mood: 86
Chemistry: 96
Owner Type: Bad Dude (rather impatient)
Owner Expectation: Do not finish last in 2051!
Team Market: Good
Fan Loyalty: Average
Fan Interest: 67
(up from 25 at the beginning of last year…Nice!)

I got re-signed for a 1-year deal as Manager in the offseason.
Old 10-09-2003, 06:15 PM   #25
Ben E Lou

2051 CINCINNATI POSITION REPORTS

CATCHER
King Triplett (Good/Avg/Avg,6/4/6,27yo) was an All-Star last year, and was 7th in the league in batting, but is FA-eligible after this year. Samuel Barrera (Good/Good/Good,4/4/4,22yo) is waiting in the wings.

OVERALL THOUGHTS: If Triplett can give us one more good season, we’ll be golden, ‘cause I’m thinking Barrera will be ready after a full season in AAA this year.

FIRST BASE
Gonzolo Sainz (Good/Brl/Brl,6/9/8,24yo) batted .243 last year, but drove in 100 runs for the first time in his 3-year career. His contact rating goes up in the offseason.

OVERALL THOUGHTS: Sainz looks like he may be ready to come into his own as a slugger this year. I look for big things from him this year.

SECOND BASE
Tony Clark (Good/Avg/Avg,7/3/6,28yo) saw his contact rating rise in the offseason. He’s hit .287 with virtually no power, and can play 2B or SS with C range. He’s a 2.5 star player..

OVERALL THOUGHTS: Clark is the kind of guy I’d like to have on the bench, not in the starting lineup. However, I have very little money this year for signing FA’s, so he may have to do for at least one more year.

THIRD BASE
Leandro Pesante (Good/Good/Brl,6/6/9,25yo) had his best season to date last year (.278-23-93), and his range rose to “B” at 3B. Higinio Valdivia (Fair/Good/Brl,4/6/8,27yo) can play 3B or SS

OVERALL THOUGHTS: Pesante looks like he could hold down the hot corner for years, and Valdivia looks like a capable backup.

SHORTSTOP
Maurice Foster (Good/Br/Brl,6/8/10,28yo) was worth every penny of the $16M he earned last year, hitting a career-high 42 homers, leading the league with 112 walks, and winning the Gold Glove at SS. The one 3.5-star prospect Charles Falcone (Good/Fair/Avg,3/2/4,22yo), has “D” range, and “E” range at 3B.

OVERALL THOUGHTS: Foster is the franchise. If Falcone continues to develop, he’ll become trade fodder.

LEFT FIELD
Bill “Cowboy” Harris (Fair/Good/Brl,3/5/8,24yo), regressed at the plate, hitting .205 with 23 homers and 74 RBI’s. He’s got “C” range and an “E” arm. No other LF’s are on the horizon as a starter in the near future.

OVERALL THOUGHTS: If some of the other youngsters can develop into big hitters, I can afford to have a low-average guy like Harris batting #7 or #8. Otherwise, I’ll have to look elsewhere.

CENTER FIELD
John “Viper” Wadley (Good/Brl/Brl,5/5/7,24yo) is an all-around talent, with “B” range, a “C” arm, and “B” speed and stealing ability. He struggled in his first full season in the bigs, batting .220. He did steal 30 bases and get 36 doubles though.

OVERALL THOUGHTS: If Wadley can improve just a little bit more, he can be a real offensive force.

RIGHT FIELD
Emmanuel “Cowboy” Davis (Good/Good/Brl,4/5/7,22yo) didn’t improve any ratings-wise all year long, and he batted only .198 with 166 K’s. I’m worried that the 5-star guy was rushed along too quickly.

OVERALL THOUGHTS: I’ve got to give Davis every shot in RF. He’s got four more years before he’s FA-eligible.

STARTING PITCHER
SP Kurt Taylor (Good/Brl/Brl,8/7/8,29yo,C endu) won 19 games and was an All-Star last year. SP Albert Nelson (Good/Good/Brl,7/7/8,26yo,D endu) won 18 games in the #2 slot. Each of them gave us 230+ innings. Jeramy Bennet (Good/Good/Brl,7/6/8,E endu) impoved quite a bit with the improved defense. His ERA dropped from 5.79 in ’49 to 4.02 in ‘50. Mark Sells (Good/Avg/Brl,7/6/7,E endu) also improved quite a bit, his ERA dropped over a full point, from 5.36 to 4.26. Finally, Henry Rizo (Fair/Fair/Fair,2/5/3,A end) performed the best of everyone I tried at #5 last year, but it was in only 4 starts. Bobby Pederson (Good/Avg/Avg,4/6/4,26yo,”C” endu) will surely get a look at the #5 starter. He was 13-5 with a 1.94 ERA in AA last season.

OVERALL THOUGHTS: The front four look pretty solid. If someone can give me some solid innings at #5, I suspect the rotation will be a strength.

RELIEF PITCHING
Closers: Christopher Holtzman (Brl/Good/Brl,10/7/8,29yo) led the league with 47 saves last year.

Lefties: Christian Martin (Good/Avg/Fair,6/6/4,27yo) struggled last year, turning in a 7.03 ERA. Algredo Abella (Good/Good/Fair,8/8/5,26yo had a 5.03 ERA.

Righties: Johnathan Clover (Good/Brl/Good,8/8/6,28yo,A) spent 7 weeks on the DL last year, but had a 3.71 ERA as a setup man when he was healthy, which was or 64 games. We also have Wilfredo Opitz (Good/Avg/Brl,7/5/7,D), had a 6.00 ERA. RP Edward Rieke (Avg/Good/Good,6/6/7,29yo was the most reliable middle reliever, giving us a 3.81 ERA in 78 appearances.

OVERALL THOUGHTS: The ‘pen looks good on paper, but unfortunately they don’t pitch on paper, but on the mound. If they can live up to their ratings, the pitching should be even better..

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 10-09-2003 at 06:18 PM.
Old 10-09-2003, 09:19 PM   #26
Ben E Lou

2051 FREE AGENCY PERIOD REPORT

TRADES
None.

Here’s the financial situation:
Cash on Hand: $9,277,247
Total Payroll: $70,839,482
Last Year Income: $60,356,873
Available Money: $3,794,638

DESIRES
I don’t have the money to pick up any real impact players. I’ll be content if I can shore up the bench.

SIGNINGS
2B/SS Luis Romeo (Avg/Poor/Fair,3/2/3,32yo)—This guy has A range at 2B and SS, and is B in stealing and A in running speed. Classic utility infielder. He’s making the minimum for 2 seasons.
1B Pruden Lovato (Avg/Fair/Avg,4/4/6,30yo)—He’s a switch-hitter, and will provide a little insurance at 1B as well as a versatile bat off the bench. He’ll make $450K.
MR Brian Tarango (Good/Good/Brl,9/7/8,25yo)—I had the money available, and this guy has put up a sub-3.50 ERA in each of the last four seasons. At $2.45M per year, I couldn’t pass up this righty.
LF/CF Julian Vizcarrando (Fair/Poor/Avg,2/3/4,30yo)—He’s not much with the stick, but he has “A” range at LF and CF, and A speed, B stealing ability. He should be defense/speed off the bench/insurance.

POST-FREE AGENCY THOUGHTS
These guys should shore up the bullpen and the bench. If that can happen, and the outfield can begin to be productive, this team could make the playoffs.
Old 10-09-2003, 09:33 PM   #27
Ben E Lou

2051 CINCINNATI SPRING TRAINING REPORT

Quote:
SPRING TRAINING NEWS:
John Wadley has good batting practice sessions!
Ramiro Moncada has improved his control!
Ronald Reasoner has good pitching sessions!
Ronald Reasoner has improved his control!
Frank Mangual has good batting practice sessions!
Frank Mangual displays more power in batting practice!
James Kuehn has good pitching sessions!
Donald Mcintire has good pitching sessions!
Emmanuel Davis has good batting practice sessions!
Charles Falcone has good batting practice sessions!
Charles Falcone displays more power in batting practice!
Dewey Tuohy displays more power in batting practice!
Dewey Tuohy showed good strike zone judgement!
Walter Carmona has good batting practice sessions!
Walter Carmona showed good strike zone judgement!
Richard Iesada has good pitching sessions!
Richard Iesada has increased his throwing velocity!
Richard Iesada has improved his control!
Johnny Hirst has good batting practice sessions!
Johnny Hirst displays more power in batting practice!
Ezequiel Mazza has good pitching sessions!
Ezequiel Mazza has increased his throwing velocity!
Michale Canto has good batting practice sessions!
Michale Canto showed good strike zone judgement!
Dan Minto displays more power in batting practice!
Carl Hamilton has good batting practice sessions!
Carl Hamilton showed good strike zone judgement!
Shawn Alvarez displays more power in batting practice!
Ruperto Muñoz has increased his throwing velocity!
Ruperto Muñoz has improved his control!
Jason Gress displays more power in batting practice!
Jason Gress showed good strike zone judgement!
Carlos Marrero displays more power in batting practice!
Mitch Guglielmo displays more power in batting practice!
Mitch Guglielmo showed good strike zone judgement!
Robert Val has increased his throwing velocity!
Old 10-09-2003, 09:59 PM   #28
korme
Go Reds

SkyDog, a neat thing about 5.13 is that you no longer have to start in '03 to get FIC players without clicking the button every year. Now there is a button for pre-2003 leagues that asks "Never Import Real Rookies". Just FYI for your future careers
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2003, 05:50 AM   #29
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally posted by Shorty3281
SkyDog, a neat thing about 5.13 is that you no longer have to start in '03 to get FIC players without clicking the button every year. Now there is a button for pre-2003 leagues that asks "Never Import Real Rookies". Just FYI for your future careers
Heh. Didn't know that. Thanks for the heads-up.

--Ben
Old 10-10-2003, 07:43 AM   #30
Ben E Lou

2051 CINCINNATI MAJOR LEAGUE LINEUPS AND ROTATIONS

Batting Order vs. RHP
1. CF Wadley (5/5/7)
2. C Triplett (6/4/6)
3. SS Foster (6/8/10)
4. 1B Sainz (6/9/8)
5. 3B Pesante (6/6/9)
6. LF Harris (3/5/8)
7. RF Davis (4/5/7)
8. 2B Clark (7/3/6)

Batting Order vs. LHP
1. 2B Clark (7/3/6)
2. CF Wadley (5/5/7)
3. SS Foster (6/8/10)
4. 1B Sainz (6/9/8)
5. 3B Pesante (6/6/9)
6. RF Davis (4/5/7)
7. C Triplett (6/4/6)
8. LF Harris (3/5/8)

Pitching Rotation
1. Taylor (8/7/8)
2. Nelson (7/7/8)
3. Bennet (7/6/8)
4. Sells (7/6/7)
5. Pederson (4/6/4)
CLOSER: Holtzman (10/7/8)

Outlook
If we can stay healthy, we should make a push for the playoffs.
Old 10-10-2003, 09:15 AM   #31
Ben E Lou

APRIL 2051

THIS MONTH’S RECORD: 18-7!
OVERALL RECORD AT MONTH-END: 18-7
CURRENT STANDING: 1st. 1 game ahead of St. Louis. Best record in baseball.

MAJOR INJURIES:
None.

Friday 4/7/2051:
Emmanuel Davis crushes 2 homers against New York (N).

Monday 4/10/2051:
Gavin Bucher has 4 hits against Philadelphia.

Friday 4/14/2051:
King Triplett has 4 hits against Arizona.

Sunday 4/16/2051:
King Triplett has 4 hits against Arizona.

Friday 4/28/2051:
Tony Clark extends his hitting streak to a career high 20 games!

Saturday 4/29/2051:
Tony Clark's hitting streak was snapped at 20 games!

Pitching: No secret to our success so far. We’re 2nd in MLB in ERA. Both the rotation and the ‘pen are doing pretty well. The only struggle has been Pederson in the #5 role. He’s 1-2 with a 7.27 ERA. I demote him and call up Rizo.

Hitting: The bats have improved to middle-of-the-road. We’re 14th in average (.276), and 21st in runs scored. None of the regulars are under .200, and the lowest average among them belongs to SS Foster (.202), so you KNOW he’ll come around. Things are looking up offensively.

AVG: C Triplett--.402
HR: 1B Sainz--4
RBI: 1B Sainz--17
SB: CF Wadley--8
SP ERA: Nelson—2.20
RP ERA: Clover—0.44
SAVES: Holtzman--5
SP K’s: Taylor--32

PLAYER DEVELOPMENT:
Quote:
Monday 4/24/2051:
Zoilo Ojeda has lost some movement on his pitches...

AAA NOTES
C Samuel Barrerra—.398-3-18-1.095OPS—5stars—(4/4/4)—Looking like he’ll be ready soon, but King Triplett is batting over .400 in the bigs.
SS Charles Falcone--.278-0-10-.652OPS—3.5 starts—(3/3/4)

AA NOTES:
No prospects of note. (3.5 stars or better….)

A NOTES:
No prospects of note. (3.5 stars or better…...)

PERSONAL DIARY ENTRIES:
I now have a relationship with a 35-year-old chick named Isabelle.

TRADES
None.

MONTHLY AWARDS
John Sizer (TB)!
He had a record of 4-0 in 6 games started, with an ERA of 1.69.

Jerome Costillo (MIN)!
He batted .402 in 82 AB, with 10 homers and 32 RBI.

Arturo Bejar (NY)!
He had a record of 3-0 in 6 games started, with an ERA of 1.17.

Lynn Parker (SF)!
He batted .347 in 98 AB, with 8 homers and 31 RBI.

None.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 10-10-2003 at 09:17 AM.
Old 10-10-2003, 09:43 AM   #32
Bee
Pro Starter

Great dynasty SD, almost enough to get me to try OOTP again.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2003, 09:48 AM   #33
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally posted by Bee
Great dynasty SD, almost enough to get me to try OOTP again.
Well, I'm hoping this is my last OOTP career, 'cause Front Office Baseball is out by Christmas.
Old 10-10-2003, 10:16 AM   #34
Ben E Lou

MAY 2051

THIS MONTH’S RECORD: 13-15
OVERALL RECORD AT MONTH-END: 31-22
CURRENT STANDING: 2nd. 7 ½ games behind StL. Tied with SF for Wild Card lead.

MAJOR INJURIES:
None.

Tuesday 5/2/2051 :
King Triplett has 4 hits against Colorado.

Friday 5/12/2051 :
King Triplett has 4 hits against Chicago (N).

Pitching: The pitching is still solid. Rizo has been serviceable (2-2, 5.06) in the #5 slot, and the staff ERA is 3.78, good for 3rd best in baseball.

Hitting: We’ve dropped to .260 in team batting average, good for 22nd in MLB, which is where we stand in runs scored as well. Cowboy Harris is hitting a dismal .166 in LF, and gets replaced in the lineup by Gavin Bucher, who is batting .265 as a backup. King Triplett is still hitting over .400, and goes into the #2 slot against lefties as well. SS Foster had a better month, but is still only hitting .214. I’m thinking he’ll snap out of it soon.

AVG: C Triplett--.407
HR: 1B Sainz--9
RBI: 1B Sainz--39
SB: CF Wadley--15
SP ERA: Nelson—2.32
RP ERA: Tarango—1.35
SAVES: Holtzman--12
SP K’s: Taylor--65

PLAYER DEVELOPMENT:
Monday 5/1/2051:
Deon Morales has lost a step. His speed drops to E ...

Monday 5/15/2051:
Ray Kaster seems to have lost some bat speed, resulting in less contact...
David Miller has lost a step. His speed drops to B ...

Monday 5/22/2051:
John Wadley has lost some power...

Monday 5/29/2051:
James Kuehn has lost some movement on his pitches...
James Kuehn has lost some lower body strength, his duration drops to C ...
Emmanuel Davis positions himself better now, his range at RF increases to B !
Nickolas Alfred has lost some momentum, his range at 2B drops to D ...
Nickolas Alfred has lost some momentum, his range at 3B drops to E ...
Nickolas Alfred has lost some momentum, his range at SS drops to D ...
Nickolas Alfred has lost some momentum, his range at LF drops to D ...
Nickolas Alfred has lost some momentum, his range at RF drops to E ...

Well, CF Wadley may not become a big-time power hitting now, but he’s still rated “Good” and his rating is 6, so he’ll likely be above-average….Good to see RF Cowboy Davis covering more ground out there!…I drafted Alfred in the 6th round last year in hopes that he could become a super-sub, able to play decent defense at a whole bunch of positions. Looks like that is less likely to happen, but he’s still only 19, so who knows?

AAA NOTES
C Samuel Barrerra—.351-7-38-.999OPS—5stars—(4/4/4)—Interesting dilemma may be coming up with this guy and King Triplett…
SS Charles Falcone--..277-1-21-.681OPS—3.5 stars—(3/3/4)

AA NOTES:
No prospects of note.

A NOTES:
No prospects of note.

NEW PERSONAL DIARY ENTRIES:
None.

TRADES
None.

MONTHLY AWARDS
Andre Tafoya (BOS)!
He had a record of 5-1 in 6 games started, with an ERA of 1.95 and 1 shutouts.

Timothy Suber (CLE)!
He batted .327 in 101 AB, with 11 homers and 42 RBI.

Wilfredo Hermosillo (COL)!
He had a record of 5-1 in 6 games started, with an ERA of 2.23.

Timothy Barros (SL)!
He batted .394 in 104 AB, with 13 homers and 41 RBI.

Monday 5/15/2051:
ANA: Raymon Payne pitches a NO-HITTER against Minnesota!!

Tuesday 5/23/2051:
TB: Alex Jackson pitches a NO-HITTER against New York (A)!!
Old 10-10-2003, 10:59 AM   #35
Ben E Lou

2051 AMATEUR DRAFT REPORT

DRAFT POSITION: 22

DRAFTEES
1. SP Larry Patterson (Avg/Avg/Good),19yo,3.5 stars—B duration, A holding runners, A range. Could be very solid one day.
2. 2B/3B/SS Antonio Gonzales (Avg/Fair/Fair,18yo,3 stars)—B range at 2B, A at 3B and SS. At worst, he looks like a solid utility man. Could be a starter one day if hitting improves just a bit.
3. LF/CF/RF Jose Villarreal (Fair/Fair/Fair,19yo,2 stars)—A/B/A range, A arm. Switch hitter. If his hitting improves, he definitely be useful. Could be useful even if it doesn’t.
4. SP/RP Dana Lippincott (Avg/Avg/Avg,19yo,2.5 stars—Has E duration as a starter. Could become decent.
5. 3B Cristopher Stansfield (Fair/Avg/Fair,21yo,1.5 stars—Best batter available.
6. RP John Barry (Fair/Avg/Avg,18yo,2 stars—Last 2-star 18-year-old available.
7. LF George Heap (Fair/Poor/Fair,22yo,1 star—Scraping the bottom. At least he has B range.

POST-DRAFT TOP TEN MINOR LEAGUE SYSTEMS
1. New York
2. Atlanta
3. San Fran
4. Pittsburgh
5. Houston
6. Montreal
7. Chicago (N)
8. Chicago (A)
9. New York (N)
10. Seattle

We’re up to #15 now.

CINCINNATI TOP 100 PROSPECTS
C Samuel Barrera (4th), P Larry Patterson (89th)
Old 10-17-2003, 01:15 AM   #36
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Bump?
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote