Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-15-2003, 10:56 PM   #1
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

What a Freakin' ESPN Bias!

So, Marlins defeat the Cubs to go to to the World Series, their second trip. And what does the Espn Headline read? "Marlins Survive?" "Marlins Make World Series?" "Marlins Await Winner of ALCS?"

Nope. "Wrigley Glum" on the main page. What a freakin' bias. Could it be more blatent?

-Anxiety

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent

Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 10:59 PM   #2
TroyF
Coordinator

They are simply writing to their target audience. I'd say about 95% of people outside of Florida wanted the Cubs to win that series. ESPN knows this and is writing it for them.

Don't worry, in the days leading up to the series the Marlins will get a ton of positive ink from ESPN.

TroyF
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 11:17 PM   #3
bigdawg2003
High School Varsity

Troy

I think it depends. If the Yanks win Game 7, everybody outside of New York will be rooting for them. If it's the Bosox, everybody outside of Florida will be rooting against them
Old 10-15-2003, 11:24 PM   #4
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I'll be rooting for Florida either way. Go Fish! I already knew I would be rooting for the NLCS winner, it's just that if it had been the Cubs, it would have been something special.

EDIT: If the Yankees win, the headline will be about the Yankees, most likely. ESPN knows they have a ton of bandwagon-- err Yankee fans to cater to.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 10-15-2003 at 11:33 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 02:14 AM   #5
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

I always root for the dog in the series when my team doesn't make it. Hell I am a giant fan, and I rooted for the Dodgers back when they played the A's. The other giants fans took my fan club card away, but I was actually hoping Gibson would hit that home run.

I think the Marlins play the right kind of ball to beat a playoff team with good pitching. They are aggressive as hell. I just hope they can keep it up. So if the Yankees win, it is business as usual, I will root against them. If the Sox win. I will root for them to win, while secretly hoping they lose game seven spectacularly.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 07:18 AM   #6
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Go Marlins!!!

noop
Old 10-16-2003, 08:28 AM   #7
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Bias? Nah. Just acknowledging the fact that there really aren't any Marlin fans, and as much as they deserved to win, nobody wants to watch them in the World Series.

My favorite moment from last night was towards the end of the game when the announcers were talking about how devestating the loss would be for the millions of Cubs fans, not only in Chicago but all around the country. Then they said something along the lines of "But on the other hand, for the Marlins... (long pause) ... well, Jack McKeon must be pretty happy."
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 11:13 AM   #8
NevStar
High School Varsity

ESPN isn't catering to Marlins fans because there's no such thing as a Marlin fan, only a handful of bandwagon jumpers, who'll half-fill Florida's stadium next year.

Old 10-16-2003, 12:06 PM   #9
SunDancer
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by NevStar
ESPN isn't catering to Marlins fans because there's no such thing as a Marlin fan, only a handful of bandwagon jumpers, who'll half-fill Florida's stadium next year.

The ownership might decide to disassemble the team again. That might kill your loyality of fans.
SunDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 12:25 PM   #10
NevStar
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally posted by SunDancer
The ownership might decide to disassemble the team again. That might kill your loyality of fans.

Give me a break. Until Hendry was hired, Cubs management would regularly field a team that might have finished with a .500 record in AAA. But somehow, Wrigley sold out every night.

The only reason a losing record would kill the fans' loyalty is if they didn't have any loyalty to begin with.
Old 10-16-2003, 02:52 PM   #11
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Give me a break. Until Hendry was hired, Cubs management would regularly field a team that might have finished with a .500 record in AAA. But somehow, Wrigley sold out every night.

The only reason a losing record would kill the fans' loyalty is if they didn't have any loyalty to begin with.

Unless it is a new team that doesn't have the established fanbase of a team that's been around the block a bunch of times.

-Anxiety

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 02:59 PM   #12
SunDancer
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

I was being alittle sacristic. But after the Marlins won the WS, the ownership decided to tear the roster apart to make it sellable. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't support that owner after doing that.
SunDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 06:49 PM   #13
SackAttack
Head Coach

That owner was H. Wayne Huizenga, and he sold the team to John Henry, who later sold it to Jeffrey Loria, so it's not even the same ownership anymore.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 07:29 PM   #14
Ryan S
Quarterback

The Marlins have had a series of dreadful owners.

After Huizenga, John Henry promised much but delivered nothing and was out the door as soon as he got a shot at Boston. (I will not even mention the Red Sox sale farce, because that is Selig's scandal, not Henry's)

As for Loria, we only need to look at the Expos.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 07:44 PM   #15
jerem77
Mascot

I despise the Red Sox, and now I hate the Marlins, unless the Yankees are in the series I could care less who wins.
jerem77 is offline   Reply With Quote