Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-18-2011, 08:31 AM   #1
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Okl St women's b'ball coach, ass't killed in plane crash

Awful news.

Oklahoma State Cowboys coach Kurt Budke, assistant Miranda Serna illed in plane crash - ESPN

Oklahoma State women's basketball coach Kurt Budke and assistant Miranda Serna have died in a plane crash along with two others, just 10 months after the school commemorated the 10th anniversary of a crash that killed 10 men associated with the men's program.

The plane went down in Perry County, Ark., the school said in a news release. Budke, 50, had opened his seventh season as the Cowgirls' coach on Sunday with a 96-60 win over Rice in Stillwater.

On Jan. 27, 2001, a plane that took off near Boulder, Colo., went down east of Denver, killing two players, four team officials, a play-by-play announcer, a radio engineer and two pilots.

"It was one of those defining moments that you have in life," university president Burns Hargis, an Oklahoma State alumnus, said in 2009 of the Jan. 27, 2001 crash. "It's still hard to believe it happened, and none of us are sure why. But I think we've moved through a lot of stages of grief and now we honor their memory."

Budke, born June 3, 1961, leaves wife, Shelley, daughter Sara, who is a student at Oklahoma State, and sons Alex and Brett.

Budke had turned the Cowgirls around from a team that finished winless in the Big 12 in his first season to a perennial conference contender.

In 2010 he led them to the program's most successful season, as they reached the second round of the NCAA tournament after a school-record six wins over Top 25 teams. They also finished with a top-10 ranking for the first time, recording 24 victories. Oklahoma State advanced to the second round of the WNIT in 2011, the Cowgirls' fifth straight postseason appearance. Budke, a 1984 graduate of Washburn University, earned a master degree at Wichita State in 1985. As a player, he earned all-conference honors at Barton County Junior College in 1981. The Salina, Kan., native came to Oklahoma State from

Louisiana Tech after coaching stops that included Allen County Community College and Friends University in Kansas, and Trinity Valley Community College in Texas.

Budke had brought Serna with him from Louisiana Tech. She had also coached Fresno State, Chicago State and Long Beach State.

She played on Budke's 1996 national championship team at Trinity Valley Community College and was an assistant coach on his 1999 national championship team at the school.

"Miranda is a rising young star in this business and I think one of the greatest recruiters in this nation," Budke had said of Serna after announcing her hire in March 2005.

JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 08:42 AM   #2
MrBug708
Head Coach

Sad stuff
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 08:53 AM   #3
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Can't believe it happened to the same program again. Very sad.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 08:54 AM   #4
TroyF
Coordinator

About 11 years ago it was on the men's side. Enough is enough.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 09:12 AM   #5
sooner333
College Starter

This is just so sad. My thoughts are with the OSU community.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote