Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-18-2000, 02:06 AM   #1
FishFan
College Prospect

Post Carolina On My Mind, Part II 2010-

Tragedy strikes in 2010! When scrolling through the list of retirees, I stumble across the name Mo McNally. Surely this can't be. The young QB of the 2008 Super Bowl Champs can't be retiring after just eight short years in the league. I am totally unprepared for this. He did suffer some injuries this past season, but nothing real serious. This is just a major surprise to me.

Here are his career stats:
GP 66
GS 61
ATT 1968
CMP 1147
CMP% 58.2
YDS 14813
AVG 7.52
LG 89
TD 88
INT 61
SCK 137
YDS 850
RTG 84.0

He collected the Super Bowl MVP, the NFL MVP, and a All-Pro 1st Team selection in 2008 when he compiled 3907 yards, 29 touchdowns, and a rating of 92.2 while leading the Panthers to a Super Bowl victory. Now he is gone. What could have been a splendid, Hall of Fame career, will now only be remembered by the diehard Panther fans. He will be missed.

I was planning on trading Randall Bright to grab some low draft picks, but that strategy may be put on hold. If I can land a young stud QB, he is gone. But, he is the man in the meantime.

No scout/coach news to report, so I head on to the free agent period.

Here is my FA situation:

Unrestricted
DT Amos Winslett
DT Marco Nowlin
LB Leland Denson
CB Aaron Huh
WR Vinny Short
FB Ralph Malone
CB Johnnie Benton

Restricted
QB Randall Bright
WR Jesse Bates
LB Tom Blake
LB Derrick Shelton
QB Zack Marsh
RB Vincent Kacynski

My goals here are to land Johnnie Benton and one of my restricted QBs, but they may ask for too much. I will not give an unproven QB 9 mil a year. I put the franchise tag on Vinny Short, as he is a must for my passing game. Winslett would be a nice keeper as well, but he may demand too much for my budget.

FishFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2000, 08:29 AM   #2
huve
Mascot

Red face

Sorry to hear about Mo ....he had a promising career.But there some good to this,it makes for more of a challege.So i believe you will have no problem finding a QB they are out there waiting to get a chance.If i were you i'd try to make the offense alot more balance and tune up the defense.But thats just my take on your tragedy.

huve
Old 11-18-2000, 12:44 PM   #3
FishFan
College Prospect

huve-

i agree. the offense will have to be much more balalnced with the loss of Mo. i will have to be able to run the ball more effectively, o questions. if i can nail down some runs stoppers on my defensive line and add another powerful safety, i think the defense will be alright. i have probably the best linebacking crew in the league with Brock, Sandberg, and Rainer.

i'll try to snag up a veteran QB to compliment the younger guys that i have. you're right, Mo's abscence will make this a much bigger challenge, which i appreciate.

-fishfan
Old 11-18-2000, 01:24 PM   #4
FishFan
College Prospect

I start off the FA period by offering contracts to two current players, CB Johnnie Benton and FB Ralph Malone. Benton's is a big 34 mil deal over 5 years and Malone's is a modest 3 year deal. Dallas offers Winslett around 6.5 mil a year, taking me out of bidding for his serviec. I offer much less, just to say I made an attempt.

Benton signs in week 3. He will step back into tha starting CB role alongside Juan Gilbertson, keeping this lethal duo together for a few more years. The bidding war for Winslett reaches the 21.0 mil mark for three years. He is probably definitely gone.

In week 6, with Malone sitting on his 8.0 mil contract offer, I decide to lower it to 6.97 over 3 years. That'll teach him to keep me waiting. Also, Winslett accepted a 3 year, 20.56 mil deal with division foe Atlanta. I offer a great runstopping DE Joe Calavicci a deal worth nearly 20 mil over four seasons. With an aging Mike Rucker, I am looking to bring in someone who can step into that role. My offer to Malone also falls to 6.30 mil over three years. I took a shot at bringing K Jesse Sexton back to Carolina by offering him a less than market deal, but he decides to re-sign with the Jets instead. Malone decides he has seen his offer decline enough. He accepts the 6.3 mil deal. I still have Calavicci on the table, which would lower my cap room to about 12 mil if he signs. He promptly signs in week 10, ending my major activity outside inking franchise player Vinny Short to an expensive deal. I am going to have to make some decisions concerning some veterans to fit a QB under my salary cap. I have taken Mo McNally's 8.5 mil salary to bolster other areas of the team.

In the final stages I offer former Panther QB Toby Rexin, who was involved in last year's draft day trade with Iowa City, a three year 5.86 mil contract, which he glady accepts in week 19.

Following the 20-week period, I sign restricted FA QB Randall Bright to a 3-year deal worth about 5.5 mil a year. I also sign WR Vinny Short to a 4-year deal worth nearly 18 mil. My veterans must have felt a sense of urgency, as many of them accepted contract extensions that were lowered this year's salary cap value. I should have just enough to sign my rookies.

[This message has been edited by FishFan (edited 11-18-2000).]
Old 11-18-2000, 01:31 PM   #5
FishFan
College Prospect

Going into the draft, I am looking for a young QB or RB to step into a starting role. Michael Shea looked good last season running the ball, but I am not sure if he can carry a large load or is a long-term solution.

Reviewing the draft, I notice RB Hardy van Emmerik, who has ratings similar to those of lingtime Panther Tim Biakabutuka. He is the seond rated RB in the draft and I expect him to go in the top 10, possibly to New England with the #5 pick. I may try to put together a package that can get me that pick.

Baltimore must have had the same idea I had, as they drafted up to the #4 pick to grab up Emmerik. Baltimore had a need for WRs, but decided to draft the RB anyhow.

Draft Results
T Johnnie Bryant, Air Force (33/74)
LB Glen Corbett, Oregon St. (30/60)
S Marc Small, North Texas (39/51)
TE Clarence Serrano, Troy St. (59/78)
LB Vince Kell, Boise St. (13/54)
G Norbert Akamine, Boston College (20/68)
CB Ken McGee, Iowa (24/35)

Not a great draft for the Panthers. They wanted the youg RB van Emmerik, but did not get the opportunity to deal with them. I landed a nice offensive tackle and a promising linebacker, but outside that, mostly roster fillers.

After the draft, I say goodbye to OT Brent Napier by giving him his unconditional release. I also trade my long-time TE Vince Lake to the NY Giants, along with my 1st round draft pick, for their 1st and 2nd round picks. The Giants, with a history of losing records, should have a lower pick in the draft than I, despite the fact that I am bringing in a new QB.

Then, in a surprise move, the Panthers trade their 2013 1st round pick and RB Ty Durham to the Baltimore Ravens for 2nd year RB Colin Neufeldt. Ironically, it was the Ravens that moved up to claim the rookie RB van Emmerik, who the Panthers coveted. Neufeldt will be the preseason starter and come at a cheap price over the next four years(6.82 mil for four years).

I end my preseason transactions by signing the following players to league min salaries, unless otherwise noted:

RB Tyrone Truitt
WR Everett Cecava
DT Jeffrey Bironas
LB Derrick Shelton (1 yr - 1.05 mil)

[This message has been edited by FishFan (edited 11-18-2000).]
Old 11-18-2000, 02:40 PM   #6
FishFan
College Prospect

Here are my starting lineup heading into the preseason schedule:

QB Randall Bright
RB Calvin Neufeldt
FB Ralph Malone
TE Clarence Serrano
WR Van Butkus
WR Vinny Short
LT Adam Meadows
LG Wally Reichard
C Frank Guinn
RG Matthew Campbell
RT Bo Schulz

K Chuck Schultz
P Jake Graveson
KR Ken McGee

DE Joe Calavicci
DT Jack Collier
DT Earl Osborne
DE Vincent Drexler
LB Calvin Sandberg
LB Brock Brock
LB Wali Rainer
CB Juan Gilbertson
CB Johnnie Benton
FS Ronnie Wilkins
SS Jeff McCormick

Only six changes, with the most obvious being the new QB Randall Bright and the new RB Colin Neufeldt. Joining them as new starters are TE Clarence Serrano, KR Ken McGee, DE Joe Calavicci, and DT Earl Osborne.

On a side note, DE Joe Calavicci will get the start at DE, but expect Mike Rucker to handle pass rush situations and split time on running plays.
Old 11-18-2000, 04:09 PM   #7
FishFan
College Prospect

The Panthers go 1-3 in preseason, but get through without any major injuries, thankfully. Bright played okay and the new RB looks good. I think he will be able to handle a big load this year.

2009 Regular Season Results

Week 1 at NY Jets(W25-17, 1-0)
Week 2 vs Atlanta(L31-38, 1-1)
Week 3 vs San Francisco(W30-6, 2-1)
Week 4 vs Austin(W34-0, 3-1)
Week 5 at Buffalo(W35-28, 4-1)
Week 6 vs Detroit(W37-31, 5-1)
Week 7 at San Francisco(L10-36, 5-1)
Week 9 vs Indianapolis(W13-12, 6-2)
Week 10 at Atlanta(L6-19, 6-3)
Week 11 vs Dallas(W41-14, 7-3)
Week 12 at St. Louis(L20-48, 7-4)
Week 13 vs New Orleans(W30-28, 8-4)
Week 14 at Austin(L17-20, 8-5)
Week 15 vs St. Louis(L25-28, 8-6)
Week 16 at Chicago(L14-17, 8-7)
Week 17 at New Orleans(L7-31, 8-8)

After a 2-1 start, it is apparent that scoring points will not be a problem. RB Colin Neufeldt proves his worth with a 23 carry, 250 yard performance in a 30-6 win over the 49ers. Randall Bright has been impressive as well, posting a 96.1 rating through three games.

The Panthers score 30+ points for the fifth straight game in s 37-31 OT win over Detroit. We stumble into the bye week at 5-2, however, with a 36-10 loss to 1-4 San Fran. Ouch.

Injuries have taken their toll on the team, though. Frank Malone, Joe Calavicci, Wali Rainer, Jeff McCormick, Marc Micalles, Wally Reichard, and Bart Murphy have all missed time due to injuries.

At 6-3, the offense get two of their linemen back after minor injuries, which produces a 41-14 win over Dallas. Colin Neufeldt has stumbled the past few games, but will have the opportunity to work it out. Bright has been magnificient with 2535 yards, 19 TDs, and only 8 INTs for a 93.0 rating. Neufeldt has collected 1027 yards and 8 TDs already. Unfortunately, they find themselves in a three-way tie for the division with St. Louis and New Orleans. Atlanta stands at 6-4.

In a wild one against New Orleans, the Saints score on a 52 yard bomb on 4th-and-seven with :17 to play. The Panthers take a touchback on the kickoff and, after an incomplete pass, Bright finds Van Butkus 43 yards down field. Butkus breaks a tackle at the NOS27, jukes out two defenders, and barrels over a safety at the goaline to bust end to the endzone for a game winning TD. WOW!

The Panthers lose the next tow games to fall to 8-6, but still in the playoff hunt. Two wins should get them in. Chicago and New Orleans remain on the schedule. There is some bad news, however. Wali Rainer reinjures himself and his career with the Panthers may be over. He is placed on injured reserved and the team signs LB Ike Haus to take his spot in the lineup. CB Ricardo Gordon is alson signed to shore up the secondary.

A loss to Chicago puts our playoff hopes in doubt, making the Saints game a must win. The Panther are so banged up, it's not funny. Gordon, who I just signed before the last game, tore up his thumb and won't play for Carolina again. CB Benton and LB Rainer are already our for the year, WR Short is doubtful, and DT Collier is out for the year, too.

We fall to the Saint, 31-7. I'll chalk this seaosn up to injuries, which hit us hard. We lost five of our last six games. We will re-evaluate the defense after the postseason and make some serious changes. They are just not making the plays on the defensive line and the secondary.

Miami at 15-1 is the favorite heading into the playoff and I will root for them throughout. They are led by QB Darrin Kelly, RB Lester Brooks, DE Nicky Gramatica, DT Martin Bronson, CB Cedric May, and LB Calvin Pope. They breeze through two playoff games to face the Eagles in Super Bowl XI. A defensive battles ensues here, but Miami prevails 13-10 to win their first championships. LB London Fletcher is named game MVP.

Season Stats:
QB Randall Bright 319-547-13-4014 28 TDs 88.3 rtg
RB Colin Neufeldt 259-1296 9 TDs
WR Van Butkus 68-1129 11 TDs
WR Vinny Short 63-904 8 TDs
WR Donald Hayes 57-776 6 TDs
K Chuck Schultz 25-29 FG 53 Lng
DE Vincent Drexler 32 T/12.5 Sacks/8 Blocks/11 Hurries
DT Jack Collier 41 T/17 A
LB Calvin Sandberg 110 T/3.0 Sacks/6 Defnsd
S Jeff McCormick 5 INTs/61 T
CB Juan Gilbertson 1 INT/36 T/8 PsDfns
S Ronnie Wilkins 3 INTs/87 T

Awards:

MVP: Kent Van Der Linden, JAX
OFF POY: Kent Van Der Linden, JAX
DEF POY: Spencer Kelly, ATL
OFF ROY: Morris Burroughs, SD
DEF ROY: Teddy Zill, BAL

LB Calvin Sandberg All-Pro 2nd Team
Old 11-18-2000, 04:39 PM   #8
FishFan
College Prospect

S Jeff McCormick retired following the 2010 season. McCormick had been a longtime starter in the Panther defensive backfield at strong safety. During his eight year career, McCormick picked off 34 passes and returned three of them for scores. He also defensed 38 passes. McCormick was not afraid to hit opposing receivers and backs, either. He collected 536 tackles and 169 assists to go along with 4.5 sacks. He played through many injuries to start every game during his tenure with the Panthers. He had a career high 81 tackles in 2007 and 8 interceptions in 2009. Another unexpected, early retirement hits the Panthers.

We rehire our scout, but to a one year contract(500K) only. I am not pleased with his performace, especially with defensive players. I would have changed, but he was still the best scout available on the market, and young at only 50 years old. He will be reevaluated on a year-by-year basis. Former coach Tyrone Horiszny has found a home with the Houston Lone Stars. He was resinged to another 4-year contract worth 6.14 mil per year.

With missing out on the playoffs, our profit fell to 51 million last year. We will hold stead on ticket prices, but will submit a new stadium proposal to help raise the value of our franchise.

Free agent situation:

Unrestricted
T Adam Meadows
G Matthew Campbell
WR Donald Hayes
K Chuck Schultz
DE Jay Oester
CB Brett Price
CB Ricardo Gordon
LB Ike Haus
LB Derrick Shelton

Restricted
C Rex Perry
G Wally Reichard
DT Jack Collier
S Jake Ogden
T Mario Wiggins

I put the franchise tag on Adam Meadows. He has been a stud for this team since 2001 and will finish his career here. I will try to re-sign Campbell, but he could be replaced. Hayes is pissed and his career with Carolina is over, sadly. He ahs been a great contributor over the years. He has amassed 647 catches hor 9162 yards and 59 TDs since 2000. Gordon and Haus were signed during the season and will probably not be around next year. I will also try to sign restricted FA Reichard, Collier, and Perry after the draft. I have about 20 mil to spend in this year's FA period and I plan to be active in courting players from other teams.
Old 11-18-2000, 06:43 PM   #9
FishFan
College Prospect

To start the FA period, I offer contracts to a trio of players, including S Kenneth Rehberg, LB Derrick Shelton, and DE Harold McKeever. These four guys can shore up the problems we have experienced in the past few seasons on defense. Rehberg signs right away in week 2 for 15.48 mil over 4 years. I am going to have to get out the checkbook for McKeever, but I am going after him. He has been a stud the past several seasons. Shelton accepts my 4 year, 18.23 mil contract offer in week 4. If I can nail down McKeever, I will call this period a huge success and try to re-sign some of my restricted FAs.

In week 6, CB Ricardo Gordon signed with Minnesota. Gordon played in one game for the Panthers before tearing a thumb ligament. I am not sad to see him go. In bigger news, after increasing my offer to McKeever to 34.75 mil over five years in week 5, he accepts the offer in week 6. A huge signing. I only have about 12 mil left in cap room, but expect some changes with these big additions.

G Matthew Campbell spurns me by signing with Arizona without giving me an opportunity to counter. I wish him well. He played 11 season in Carolina, starting every game except four due to injury. 172 starts with a career 30.0 block percentage and 53 sacks allowed. I resign K Chuck Schultz in week 11, but WR Donald Hayes as he signs with reigning Super Bowl Campion, Miami. I try to phone him to wish him good luck, but he won't answer or return his calls. Three straight years of being a 3rd receiver really pisses him off, i guess.

Franchice player, Adam Meadows agrees to a 3-year deal worth just over 2 mil per year. That should run through the duration of his career.
Old 11-18-2000, 08:12 PM   #10
FishFan
College Prospect

Draft Results
WR Brent Gragg, South Dakota (53/83)
LB Perry Lyons, Tulsa (37/65)
DT Greg Springer, Wisconsin (28/79)
C Richie Battle, Texas-El Paso (20/57)
CB Thurman Gunn, N.C. St. (36/47)
T Seth Bensen, Wake Forest (8/52)
G Monty Dixon, Northwestern (17/36)
RB Carlos Robinson, Tennessee Tech (14/16)

It seems that the quality of the past couple of drafts has been relatively weak. I think I found a quality WR in the first round - a guy that could replace Vinny Short in a few years. Also, I expect DT Greg Springer to compete for a starting job in the next few years. This, of course, if I do not come across any "busts".

On a side note, I was astonished when my fully public-funded stadium was accepted by the voters of Carolina, 50.6-49.3, which is too close to call, in my opinion. Construction will be completed in time to open the 2016. This will assures that the Panthers will remain in Carolina for the next 20 years.

I make a post-draft trade with Kansas City, sending them DE Joe Calavicci, LB Wali Rainer, and a 2nd round pick for DT Junior Brass and 1st a 1st round pick. The signing of McKeever make Calavicci expendable and Rainer has been hit with the injury buyg in recent years. Brass can give me much needed depthat the DT position.

I do some contract restructuring to free up enough room to re-sign DT Jack Collier and C Rex Perry. C Frank Guinn mya be on his way out following training camp, or whenever his latest injury heals.

Following training camp, I released RB Carlos Robinson, C Travis Springer, and DT Jeffrey Bironas. I signed C Willie Foley to a year year deal worth 800K, making way to release or trade C Frank Guinn.

Old 11-18-2000, 08:32 PM   #11
FishFan
College Prospect

Starting lineups for the 2011 campaign heading into the preseason portion of the schedule.

QB Randall Bright
RB Colin Neufeldt
FB Frank Malone
TE Clarence Serrano
WR Van Butkus
WR Vinny Short
LT Bo Schulz
LG Wally Reichard
C Willie Foley
RG Norbert Akamine
RT Adam Meadows

K Chuck Schultz
P Jake Graveson
KR Ken McGee

DE Vincent Drexler
DT Jack Collier
DT Earl Osborne
DE Harold McKeever
LB Calvin Sandberg
LB Brock Brock
LB Derrick Shelton
CB Juan Gilbertson
CB Johnnie Benton
FS Ronnie Wilkins
SS Kenneth Rehberg

The nooticeable new starters this season include DE Harold McKeever, LB Derrick Shelton, and Kenneth Rehberg. The OL has a different look to it as well. T Adam Meadows moves from LT to RT in favor of Bo Schulz. C Willie Foley replaces the injured Frank Guinn, who may never play in a Panther uniform again after breaking his leg in the season finale last year. Also, G Norbert Akamine replaces Matthew Campbell at RG, who departed for for more cash during the FA period. WR Brent Gragg will replace Donald Hayes as the team's third receiver.

We split our four preseason games, but experience no major injuries. Harold McKeever survived a scare in the first game when he hyperextended a knee, but was able to suit up for the following game. The defense has looked much better and actually scored two TDs throughout the four preseason games. It has to be better than last year's unit if we want to compete. Hopefully, we will avoid the injury bug that hit us late in the season last year.

Old 11-18-2000, 09:59 PM   #12
FishFan
College Prospect

The Panthers go 1-3 in preseason, but get through without any major injuries, thankfully. Bright played okay and the new RB looks good. I think he will be able to handle a big load this year.

2011 Regular Season Results

Week 1 at San Francisco(W27-20, 1-0)
Week 2 at New Orleans(W28-0, 2-0)
Week 3 vs Atlanta(L14-24, 2-1)
Week 4 vs St. Louis(L12-17, 2-2)
Week 5 vs Arizona(L21-25, 2-3)
Week 7 at Cincinnati(W16-13, 3-3)
Week 8 vs Minnesota(W37-11, 4-3)
Week 9 at Tennessee(L21-31, 4-4)
Week 10 at Atlanta(L7-12, 4-5)
Week 11 at Tampa Bay(L7-17, 4-6)
Week 12 vs San Francisco(W24-17, 5-6)
Week 13 at Austin(W38-3, 6-6)
Week 14 at St. Louis(L24-26, 6-7)
Week 15 vs New Orleans(W31-17, 7-7)
Week 16 vs Austin(W16-13, 8-7)
Week 17 vs Baltimore(L7-38, 8-8)

My spending in the offense pays off when the Panthers win their opening two games on the road. Week 2 was especially sweet - a 28-0 shutout of archrival New Orleans. The Panthers, however, drop their home opener to the Falcons to fall to 2-1. Not only do the Panthers lose their first home game, but their next to home contests in route to a 2-3 start. The defense is playing better, but the offense can not get it going.

The Panthers rebound to win their next two and the defense is playing well, making more plays, namely more interceptions and sacks. S Kenneth Rehberg alread has six picks and CB Johnnie Benton has added five. DE Harold McKeever has collected 3.5 sacks, but is well below his season average. The win streak does not last long as Carolina loses thier next three before beating the 49ers to move to 5-6. The offense needs to get going down the stretch, especially our passing attack. Defensively, we are sound.

We win two of our next three to get to 7-7 with an outside shot at the playoffs. Again, it will take wins in our last two contests.
But, for the second straight year, we lose our finale to finish 8-8. No injuries to blame this year - I may have to point fingers at other areas(i.e. coach and scout). Sure, we have only had two sub-.500 seasons out of 12, but that is not good enough for the Carolina faithful that has already voted for a new Panther stadium. We need to right this sinking ship.

Indianapolis is the favorite this year after a 14-2 record. The Colts advance to Super Bowl XII to face the Eagles, led by QB Rex Singleton. Peyton Manning is still leading the Colts after 12 seasons. In the championship, another defensive battle ensues, but Manning and the Colts prevail, 17-14, with the QB claiming the MVP award.

Season Stats:
QB Randall Bright 283-504-18-3909 24 TDs 82.1 rtg
RB Colin Neufeldt 295-1287 10 TDs
WR Van Butkus 60-1032 7 TDs
WR Vinny Short 65-1080 6 TDs
WR Brent Gragg 36-536 3 TDs
K Chuck Schultz 20-25 FG 51 Lng
DE Vincent Drexler 39 T/9.0 Sacks/7 Blocks/5 Hurries
DE Harold McKeever 12.0 Sacks/29 T/2 Blocks/10 Hurries
DT Jack Collier 37 T/17 A/5.0 Sacks
LB Brock Brock 115 T/28 A
CB Juan Gilbertson 4 INTs/39 T/8 PsDfns
CB Johnnie Benton 8 INTs/7 Dfnsd/40 T/20 A
S Ronnie Wilkins 2 INTs/6 Dfsnd/79 T/28 A
S Kenneth Rehberg 8 INTs/6 Dfsnd/79 T/34 A

Awards:

MVP: Rex Singleton, PHI
OFF POY: Rex Singleton, PHI
DEF POY: Dennis Small, BAL
OFF ROY: Edgar West, JAX
DEF ROY: Kelvin Henson, CIN

C Willis Foley All-Pro 2nd Team
Old 11-18-2000, 11:06 PM   #13
FishFan
College Prospect

The only retirement to hit the Panthers this year was T Adam Meadows. Meadows played for the Colts in 2000, but joined the Panthers in 2001 and played the next 11 seasons in Carolina. Meadows, a 4 time All-Pro 2nd Team selection, started 184 games in 12 seasons. He has a career 32.1 block percentage and allowed 56 sacks(10 in his last season). His best season was possibly 2005 when he had a 35.0 BPct and did not allow a sack in 13 games. He will be missed and should surely be enshrined in the Carolina HOF.

In the coach/scout hiring period, I decide to switch gears and put in a couple of offers. I throw an offer at scout Jeremy Skinner and coach Teddy Barney. My current coach still has a year left on his contract, but has not done the job with a decent amount of talent. Skinner resigns with Austin and I offer my old scout a new one year contract. I also turn my attention to up and coming coach, Chuck Reddy. He looks like the real deal at age 55 and a lot of great ratings. I offer Reddy a five year contract worth an amazing 8 mil per. Leathers also signs at 270K.

Ike Turnbull, who coached the past four seasons, was 59-42, including 4-1 in the playoffs. In his six seasons, he led the Panthers to the playoffs just twice. With the help of Mo McNally, the Panthers won Super Bowl IX in 2008 and a 13-3 regular season in 2009. When McNally retired, Turnbull could not get the team back to championship status, despite having a number of quality players around him.

Free agent situation:

Unrestricted
P Jake Graveson
G Jonathan Shea
C Willie Foley

Restricted
QB Lonnie Rogers
RB Matthew Shea
FB Dustin Freeman
TE Lewis Myers
WR Bart Murphy
DE Bryant Shea
CB Ken McGee

This year, I would like to resign Matthew Shea to a low bonus contract in order to trade him for some draft picks. I am only interested in C Foley out of the UFAs. It will be a low activity period for me and our new coach.

Old 11-19-2000, 12:41 AM   #14
FishFan
College Prospect

I offered P Jake Graveson a mil per year for 2 years. He offered and, in an abnormal year, that ends my activity for the FA period. However, I did resign C Willie Foley to a three year deal.

I forsee cap problems in the future, so I begin to make some decisions on some of the veterans. The first decision I make is a milestone. I decide to release DE Mike Rucker. He is the last of the original team, which makes LB Brock Brock as the player with the longest tenure at 10 years.

I traded S Marc Small and LB Glen Corbett to the Buffalo Bills for a 2nd round draft pick and released C Rex Perry. I then trade RB Matthew Shea and a 4th round pick to Green Bay for the ninth overall pick in the draft.

Old 11-19-2000, 01:30 AM   #15
FishFan
College Prospect

Draft Results
WR Carlos Starks, Miami FL (73/94)
CB Kerry Victor, Penn St. (43/78)
LB Arnie Murdock, Colorado (30/69)
DE Hugh Elliott, West Chester (26/67)
DE Charlie Andrews, Washington (37/57)
S James Budd, Syracuse (38/56)
FB Ken Morton, Wisconsin (18/49)
RB Tom Staten, Brigham Young (34/44)

This was probably one of my best drafts in recent years. I land a stud QB, a CB that can start right away, and a LB to replace the declining Calvin Sandberg eventually.

Following the draft, I signed the following players:

Signed TE Van Hartman (league min)
Signed C Erik Richmond (league min)
Signed G Keith Meyer (league min)
Signed T Wally Reel (league min)

After training camp, I needed to fill out my roster with a couple other players:

Signed QB Broderick Orth (1.30 - 1 year)
Signed CB Toby Fulton (league min)

Yep, Broderick Orth is back with the Panthers after spending three years in Detroit. He did not get any playing time there, either, and was unable to find a huge contract in the FA period. He'll back up Randall Bright, but may get an opportunity to start if the team does not seem to approve on their last two season.
Old 11-19-2000, 01:47 AM   #16
FishFan
College Prospect

Starting lineups:

QB Randall Bright
RB Colin Neufeldt
FB Ralph Malone
TE Clarence Serrnao
WR Van Butkus
WR Vinny Short
LT Bo Schulz
LG Wally Reichard
C Willie Foley
RG Norbert Akamine
RT Johnnie Bryant

K Chuck Schultz
P Jake Graveson
KR Kerry Victor/Ronnie Wilkins

DE Victor Drexler
DT Jack Collier
DT Earl Osborne
DE Harold McKeever
LB Calvin Sandberg
LB Brock Brock
LB Derrick Shelton
CB Juan Gilbertson
CB Johnnie Benton
FS Ronnie Wilkins
SS Kenneth Rehberg

Only one change. Johnnie Bryant steps in for Adam Meadows at RT. Those are tough shoes to fill for the youngster. It'll be interesting to see how he handles the pressure.

Old 11-19-2000, 02:41 AM   #17
FishFan
College Prospect

3-1 in the preseason. No injuries. The defense looks great. Hopefully, Bright or Orth can take command of the offense.

2012 Regular Season Results

Week 1 vs NY Giants(L15-21, 0-1)
Week 2 at San Francisco(W34-28, 1-1)
Week 3 at Dallas(L17-20, 1-2)
Week 4 at Atlanta(L6-13, 1-3)
Week 5 vs Austin(W30-0, 2-3)
Week 6 vs Atlanta(L13-19, 2-4)
Week 8 vs Oakland(W35-25, 3-4)
Week 9 at New Orleans(W15-14, 4-4)
Week 10 at Houston(W16-13, 5-4)
Week 11 at Green Bay(W32-25, 6-4)
Week 12 vs New Orleans(W35-10, 7-4)
Week 13 at St. Louis(L10-24, 7-5)
Week 14 at Austin(W30-3, 8-5)
Week 15 vs San Francisco(W24-6, 9-5)
Week 16 vs Kansas City(W24-13, 10-5)
Week 17 vs St. Louis(W29-15, 11-5)
Wild Card vs Chicago(W28-13, 12-5)
Divisional Playoff at Philadelphia(L13-45, 12-6)

I lose three of the first four and only manage 38 points in the three losses. That prompts me to replace Bright with Orth at QB. Orth responds with a 30-0 win over Austin.

Orth then leads the Panthers back to 4-4 by week 9. Defense is is really playing well as the offense sputters. Orth engineers three more win, taking the team to 7-4 and only a game out of the division lead.

Orth is hurt in week 13 and Bright takes over. Orth will be out for 3-5 weeks, so Bright will have the opportunity to lead this team into the playoffs. Bright responds to his earlier benching by leading the Panthers to two straight wins, including one over division leading San Francisco, 24-6. The 49ers, Panthers, and Falcons all stand at 9-5 with two games left.

The defense comes through in the final two, giving the Panthers the NFC West division title. Unfortunately, they do not get a bye, but will host Chicago in the wild card round.

The Panthers, taking a page out of QuikSand's playbook, score 21 points in the first quarter against the Bears, effectively taking them out of the game. The Panthers coast to a 28-13 victory and head to Philly for the Divisional playoff. Neufeldt gains 82 yards on the ground and Bright throws for 2 scores. Rehberg and Victor each pick off a pass to help the Panther cause.

Eagle QB Rex Singleton proves to be too much for the Panther secondary. Singleto throws for 340 yards and 3 scores in a 45-13 rout of Carolina. The Eagels jumped out to a 21-7 lead at the half and did not look back, scoring 14 in the third to seal it.

The Eagles lose the following week to Detroit as the Ravens down the Jets to reach Super Bowl XIII. Baltimore, at 15-3, rolls 14-4 Dallas, 31-13. S Dennis Small claims MVP honors.

Season Stats:
QB Randall Bright 158-252-9-2077 12 TDs
89.6 rtg
QB Broderick Orth 126-225-7-1438 4 TDs
RB Colin Neufeldt 322-1571 15 TDs
WR Van Butkus 64-1024 6 TDs
WR Vinny Short 72-1217 3 TDs
K Chuck Schultz 30-37 FG 51 Lng
DE Vincent Drexler 41 T/5.5 Sacks/6 Blocks/11 Hurries
DE Harold McKeever 13.0 Sacks/11 Blocks/7 Hurries
DT Jack Collier 31 T/22 A/5.5 Sacks
LB Brock Brock 96 T/38 A
LB Derrick Shelton 70 T/26 A/5 Sacks
CB Juan Gilbertson 3 INTs/56 T/7 PsDfns
CB Johnnie Benton 7 INTs/7 Dfnsd/52 T/8 PsDfs
S Ronnie Wilkins 5 INTs/5 Dfsnd/77 T/29 A
S Kenneth Rehberg 4 INTs/7 Dfsnd/71 T/24 A

Awards:

MVP: Sam Whiting, CHI
OFF POY: Sam Whiting, CHI
DEF POY: John Fisk, CLE
OFF ROY: Jermaine McMahon, AUS
DEF ROY: Dave Romund, MIN

C Willis Foley All-Pro 1st Team
CB Johnnie Benton All-Pro 1st Team
S Ronnie Wilkins All-Pro 1st Team
RB Colin Neufeldt All-Pro 2nd Team
G Norbert Akamine All-Pro 2nd Team
Old 11-20-2000, 01:23 PM   #18
FishFan
College Prospect

I try my best to find a scout to replace Ricky Leathers, but I can find nothing better than what I have. He gets another 270K contract for the next year, continuing the year-to-year evaluation process. Coack Reddy went 12-6 in his debut season and looks to be the real deal. He should be around the Panther organization for years to come.

In 2013, the team experieinced no retirements and have 38 players signed for next year with about 30 mil under the cap to play with. I did, however, let the contract on Randall Bright expire - he will get the franchise tag. Here is the free agent situation for the Panthers:

Unrestricted
WR Van Butkus
LB Brock Brock
QB Broderick Orth
CB Juan Gilbertson
RB Marc Micalles
QB Randall Bright
DE Vincent Drexler
DT Earl Osborne
DT Junior Brass
S Rod Monaco

Restricted
TE Clarence Serrano
G Norbert Akamine
LB Vince Kell
G Monty Dixon
CB Thurman Gunn

Big decisions to make this season concerning some veteran players. I would love to keep Butkus around, along with veterans Gilbertson, Brock, Drexler, and Osborne. I'm not sure I can afford all four plus Bright. That may not leave much for rookies. I also get an interesting offer from Cleveland. They will send RB Billy Joe Kirsch and their 1st Round Pick(9th overall) to the Panthers for CB Johnnie Benton. I have a young CB that could be ready to start next season, but before I pull the trigger on this trade, I must re-sign Juan Gilbertson. I leave it on the table for now.

[This message has been edited by FishFan (edited 11-20-2000).]
Old 11-20-2000, 01:25 PM   #19
FishFan
College Prospect

I offer three of my veterans longterm deals to open the FA period: WR Butkus, CB Gilbertson, and LB Brock. Butkus could not wait to get out of Carolina as he accepts a 17.3 mil, 3 year deal with Chicago. That is a big blow, but I should be able to replace him with a couple of young WR taken early in the draft the past couple of years. I push my offer to 25.5 mil for Gilbertson so I can swing that trade deal with Cleveland, and offer Vincent Drexler a big, three year deal. I also offer my former K Jesse Sexton a three year deal in another attempt to lure him back to Carolina. In week 3, I ink Gilbertson to a 25.53, 4 year deal and Drexler to a 18.9, 3 year deal. I nail down Sexton in week 5 and promptly trade the more expensive Chuck Schultz to Arizona for a 7th round pick. I finally ink Brock to a three year, 9.07 mil contract after the 11-year veteran receives no interest from other teams.

Unfortunately, the Browns do not seem interested in Benton any longer. They won't even give up their 2nd round pick for my cornerback. That leaves me with two CBs that cost me a total of 12 mil on this year's salary cap. They better produce.

Following the FA Period, I lock up Bright for the next five years with a 38.75 mi, 5 year contract with only 5 mil in bonus money. If he falters, he will be easy to release. I also ink DT Osborne to a four year, 17 mil contract. Intersetingly, no team expressed interest in this guy during the duration of the FA period.

Going into the draft, I am looking for quality players at any position, but will do so without a 1st round draft pick. Hopefully, the oun talent I have at WR will be able to offset the loss of stud WR Van Butkus. He put up some huge numbers while in Carolina. In his five years with Carolina, he had 5 1000 yard seasons higlighted by a 93 catch, 1589 yard, 9 TD performance in 2009.

Draft Results
LB Matt Forbes, East Carolina (36/58)
DT Luke Raymond, Alabama (39/50)
RB James Barlow, Rutgers (33/49)
WR Mario Clemons, Murray St. (34/47)
TE Jerome Colman, Texas Christian (34/69)
G Devin Shelton, Kansas St. (12/44)
S Ian Kerr, Boston College (23/42)

Overall, a very poor draft. Nothing but backups and roster fillers, but that was what was expected with my first pick being the 29th in the 2nd round. Following camp, WR Mario Clemons' ratings improved and maybe valuable as a third receiver this year or next. I also sign QB Broderick Orth to a 1 year, 1.38 mil deal. Welcome back, again.

[This message has been edited by FishFan (edited 11-20-2000).]
Old 11-20-2000, 10:58 PM   #20
FishFan
College Prospect

Before preseason, I extended the contracts of several key players that I feel need to be around for the next couple of years to make a run at the chmapionship. I am still not sure if Bright is the answer at QB, but he is playing above and beyond his ratings. At least I have him locked into a longterm deal if his success continues.

I also released TE Jerome Thomason, who has been unhappy since his arrival in Carolina. I hope he finds more playing time elsewhere. I then sign CB Vincent Mena to the league minimum to give me some depth at that position.

Here are my starters heading into the 2013 preseason campaign:

QB Randall Bright
RB Colin Neufeldt
FB Frank Malone
TE Clarence Serrano
WR Vinny Short
WR Carlos Starks, Brent Gragg, Mario Clemons
LT Bo Schulz
RT Wally Reichard
C Willie Foley
RG Norbert Akamine
RT Johnnie Bryant

K Jesse Sexton
P Jake Graveson
KR Kerry Victor, Ronnie Wilkins

DE Vincent Drexler
DT Jack Collier
DT Earl Osborne
DE Harold McKeever
LB Calvin Sandberg
LB Brock Brock
LB Derrick Shelton
CB Juan Gilbertson
CB Johnnie Benton
FS Ronnie Wilkins
SS Kenneth Rehberg

The only change this season has to do with the split end position. Vinny Short is moved to the flanker position to replace the departed Van Butkus. One of my young wide receivers will claim the starting spot during preseason play, but expect all three to see a lot of playing time.
Old 11-20-2000, 10:58 PM   #21
FishFan
College Prospect

WR Brent Gragg took advantage of the opportunity to become the starting split end by collecting 17 catches for 226 yards. Only one of the three hit paydirt with Carlos Starks scoring in the first preseason game. He will be the number three guy. The rookie, Mario Clemons, may have the brightest future but he's fourth on the depth chart heading into the regular season. The team went 1-3 in the four games and did not play particularly well. Let's hope for a change.

2013 Regular Season Results

Week 1 vs Iowa City(W18-15, 1-0)
Week 2 at St. Louis(W20-3, 2-0)
Week 3 at Austin(W23-20, 3-0)
Week 4 at New Orleans(W31-14, 4-0)
Week 5 vs Miami(W31-19, 5-0)
Week 6 at Chicago(L6-7, 5-1)
Week 7 vs Austin(L9-14, 5-2)
Week 9 at NY Jets(L13-21, 5-3)
Week 10 vs St. Louis(W34-7, 6-3)
Week 11 at Phialdelphia(L11-14, 6-4)
Week 12 vs San Francisco(L20-26, 6-5)
Week 13 at Atlanta(W28-21, 7-5)
Week 14 vs New Orleans(W23-9, 8-5)
Week 15 at San Francisco(W16-9, 9-5)
Week 16 vs Detroit(W13-3, 10-5)
Week 17 vs Atlanta(L29-34, 10-6)
Divisional Playoff vs Atlanta(W34-24, 11-6)
NFC Championship at Philadelphia(L10-13, 11-7)

P Jake Graveson started the season off on the right foot, literally. Kicking for the injured Jesse Sexton, Graveson connected on a 40 yard bomb with :37 left to beat the Caucus of Iowa City, 18-15. Brent Gragg scored twice on passes from Randall Bright. After a 20-3 win over St. Louis, the Panthers got a another win off an unlikely hero. With 1:14 left, Austin had just scored a TD to take a 20-16 lead. Ronnie Wilkins fielded the ensuing kickoff a yard deep in the endzone and scampered 101 yards for a 23-20 lead that would stick. The win improved Carolina to 23-30 despite a poor showing by the Panther offense. Another couple of victories, the latest coming against the 3-1 Miami Dolphins, sent the Panthers to 5-0, their best start in franchise history. Neufeldt ran for 212 yards and three scores against the tough Dolphins defense. Their undefeated season comes to a close against the 0-4 Bears. The Panthers could not muster up any offense in the 7-6 loss. One loss turns into three and suddenly the Panthers are starting to point fingers. The defense feels it is doing the job, but the offense cannot put up the points. I feel like the NY Giants.

A 26-20 loss to the 49ers sends the team to a 6-5 record and looking in from the outside of the playoff picture. The offense, which has struggled under Bright, will see a change at that position. Broderick Orth will start week 13 against Atlanta, but has not been named permanent starter. Orth responds with a 28-21 win over the division leading Falcons and a very efficient 16-27-0-239 2 TD performance. The win moved the Panthers into a first place tie with said Falcons for the NFC West lead. Orth completes back-to-back wins with a 23-9 victory over the Saints. The Falcons keep pace with a 52-10 win over Arizona. Both teams win in week 15 as Orth is named starter for the rest of the regualr season. With a 13-3 win over the Lions and a Falcon loss to the Jets in week 16, the Panthers take a one game lead in the West. A win will give them the division and a first round bye. Of course, we play the Falcons in the season finale!

We lose, but only 34-29 and still claim the division by virtue of the tie-breaker. We still have a first round bye to get everyone healty. LBs Brock Brock and Derick Shelton have both been hampered by injuries late in the year. Atlanta beats Tampa Bay, 41-13, to force a rematch with the Panthers in the Divisional Playoff.

The Panthers force a Falcon punt to start the game and Broderick Orth goes to work, gitting Gragg and Serrano multiple times on the opening drive. Sexton caps it off with a 29 yd FG to give the Panthers a 3-0 lead early. Another 3-and-out for the Falcons and the Panthers get the ball back. Orth is hurt on this drive and Randall Bright takes over. All Bright does is lead the team right down the field and scoring on a 12 yd TD pass to Carlos Starks. Suddenly, it's 10-0 and the Falcons have just 10 yards of total offense. Atlanta QB Gary Carpenter shakes off the rust and takes to the air in a drive that winds up 1st-and-goal at the six yard line. The Panther defense stand tough, however, and the Falcons settle for a 22 yd field goal to cut the lead to 10-3. A quick Panther three-and-out gives the ball right back to the Falcons. This time they can only get to the CAR33, but Olindo Mare misses the 50 yd FG. With good field position, the Panthers look to score. Neufeldt runs for 19 on the first play, Bright comlpetes a 14 yd pass to Short and 19 yds to Gragg. It is now 1st-and-goal from the eight. On the second play, Bright finds the rookie Mario Clemons for a 6 yard score to up their lead to 17-3. The Panther defense hold the Falcons on a key 3rd-and-one near midfield, forcing a punt. With 4:11 left in the half, a score here would almost nail this one down. The Panthers can't capitalize and the Falcons follow their defensive stop with a 26 yd TD strike from Carpenter to Montgomery. The lead is cut to seven at 17-10 with a minute left in the first half. While running the two-minute offense, Bright fumbles the ball and the Falcons recover with :15 left and in FG position. Mare hits from 34 yards making the score 17-13 at halftime, in favor of the Panthers.

To start the second half, the Panthers overcome 25 yards of penalties by consistently finding one-on-one coverage. Bright looked sharp in the drive that culminated with a 4 yd TD pass to Vinny Short. The Panthers have some breathing room at 24-13 following the seven minute drive. The Falcons answer with a long drive of their own, but can only muster a FG out of it to cut the Panther lead to 24-16. A one possession game. On the following drive, Bright and Short found themselves on the same page, connecting on passes of 17, 15, and 14. Sexton nails a 29 yd FG, pushing the lead back up to 11. With 9:39 left, it is time for the defense to come up with a big play and put this game on ice. It was like they read my mind. On the Falcons third play on their next drive, LB Calvin Sandberg came up the middle on a LB blitz. He got to Carpenter, forcing a fumble. The always opportunistic Harold McKeever scooped it up and the big man rumbled 14 yards down to the ATL3. Neufeldt punched it up the middle on the next play to give the Panthers a huge 34-16 lead. The Falcons scored and converted a two-point conversion to cut it to 10 with 3:15 left, but Neufeldt and Malone iced it by pounding out a couple of first downs on the ground. Randall Bright was huge, connecting on 22 of 27 passes for 271 yards while claiming the game ball. Neufeldt had 82 yards on the ground, most of them in crunch time. Bring on Philadelphia and QB Rex Singleton! Unfortunately, Orth is done for the year, but I feel the furture is Bright.

In the AFC Championship, the Ravens beat the Dolphins in a defensive battle, 17-10. The Eagles or Panthers will join them in Super Bowl XIV. The Eagles try to run the ball on their opening drive, but gain just two yards in six carries. Unfortunately, Singleton throws for 86 on the drive that culminated in a 12 yd scoring pass. On the Panthers' second possession, Sexton hits a 52 yd bomb to cut into the Eagle seven point lead. After the teams exchanges punts, the Eagles got the ball back to start the 2nd quarter. On their first play, little used safety, Ian Kerr, picks off the great QB Rex Singleton and returns the pass 42 yards for a go ahead score. 10-7 Panthers. On 4th-and-1 from the CAR41, the Panthers decide to go for it. Neufeldt is stuffed for a two yard loss, but the tackler gets into some extracurricular activity and is nailed for a 15 yard unecessary roughness penalty. This could be huge. The Panthers can not convert and punt the ball away. The Falcons take the ball to the CAR30 and nail a 47 yd field goal to tie the game. Again, the Panthers attempt a long field goal with less than a minute in the first half only to miss it. The Eagles cannot capitalize on the good field position and the teams walk into halftime tied. The Eagles have outgained the Panthers 178-71 in the first half, but are tied on the scoreboard.

To start he second half, the teams exchange punts. On the Eagles' second possession, they drive down to the CAR30, but Singleton gets picked, this time by a defesive lineman. Harold "big play" McKeever picks off the tipped pass. Penalties kill the Panthers drive, but they get the ball back after a defensive stop. Again the teams exchange punts and we head into the 4th quarter tied. With 8:09 left, the Eagles miss a 50 yard FG, giving the Panthers their best field position of the second half. The way their defense is playing, a field goal maybe enough to advance to the Super Bowl. The Panthers can not do anything offensively and have to punt it away. An excellent punt pins the Eagles down at their own six yard line. After a three-and-out, the Panthers again get pretty good field position at their own 33. Their casual offense gains 17 yards in the first minute following the two minute warning. They now find themselves facing a 1st-and-10 at the PHI41. Another 10-15 yards should give the Panthers an excellent shot. The Panthers can not do anything and punt the ball away. The Eagles struggle likewise and we go to overtime, baby!

The Eagles win the toss and go to work. Singleton hits Benton for 17, Gibson for 18, Wagner for a pair of seven yard gains, and Fletcher runs for 13 down to the CAR04. Barring a huge defensive play, this game is over. Forget the TD, Trent pounds it in from 2 yds out to give the Eagles a 16-10 win.

The win seemed to take a lot out of the Eagles as the Ravens pound them, 40-10, to win Super Bowl XIV, their second straight. QB Deron Biggs is huge(ignore the pun). He hits 19 of 10 passes while throwing two TD scores to claim MVP Honors.

2013 Key Season Stats
QB Broderick Orth 117-187-5-1521 6 TDs 87.6 rtg
QB Randall Bright 172-291-10-1882 9 TDs 74.2 rtg
RB Colin Neufeldt 315-1400 13 TDs
WR Vinny Short 63-965 2 TDs
WR Brent Gragg 67-759 5 TDs
WR Carlos Starks 55-743 4 TDs
PK Jesse Sexton 30-34 FG 57 Lng
P Jake Graveson 43.7 Avg 31 In20
DE Harold McKeever 37 T 16.0 Sacks 6 Blks 10 Hurr
DE Vincent Drexler 35 T 11.5 Sacks 9 Hurr
DT Jack Collier 40 T
LB Calvin Sandberg 92 T 25 A 7.0 Sacks
CB Juan Gilbertson 49 T 3 INTs 10 Dfns
CB Johnnie Benton 44 T 4 INTs 6 Dfns
FS Ronnie Wilkins 86 T 31 A 4 INTs(1TD) 8 Dfns
LG Wally Reichard 36.6 BPct 3 SkA
C Willie Foley 30.5 BPct 5 SkA
RT Johnnie Bryant 4 SkA
LT Bo Schulz 31.9 BPct 7 SkA

Awards
NFL MVP: Pat Maness, SD (RB, 1893 yards, 6.0 avg, 22TD)
OFF POY: Steve Bednarsh, CLE
DEF POY: Dan Wheatley, ATL
OFF ROY: Tyrus Birk, ATL
DEF POY: Rico Dalan, MIN

G Wally Reichard All-Pro 1st Team
LB Calvin Sandberg All-Pro 2nd Team
Old 11-20-2000, 10:59 PM   #22
FishFan
College Prospect

Again, the Panthers experience zero retirements. It seems all the veterans feel they are close to a championship. I believe we are a true QB away from a really great team. Orth and Bright were inconsistent last season. All the othre tools are there and I do not expect many changes this season.

During the coach/scout period, I retain the services of Ricky Leathers for another year at 270K. Again, there are not better rated scouts on the market.

Here is my free agent situation:

Unrestricted
QB Broderick Orth
P Jake Graveson
RB Colin Beufeldt

Restricted
C Richie Battle
T Seth Bensen
LB Perry Lyons
RB Tom Staten
FB Ken Morton

Before I delve into the FA period, I need to get rid of some salary to clear up a definite problem. Before I restructured a few contracts, I was only 1.5 mil under the cap. I need to cut some fat, probably somewhere on the defensive line and the receiver corp. I also slap the franchise tag on Colin Neufeldt.

First I trade DT Jack Collier to Tennessee for their 1st round pick - the 15th overall pick. This frees up about 4 mil in cap room. Then, I put together a package for the Iowa City Caucus. I send them up and coming QB Toby Rexin, my #2 WR Brent Gragg, starting CB Johnnie Benton, DE Hugh Elliott, and my 4th round pick for their 1st and 2nd round picks. This sends away two starters, Benton being the key to the package. I free up another 7.5 mil in cap room, as I did not see the cost effectiveness of keeping two 6mil CBs on my roster, especially with the youngster Kerry Victor ready to play. Look for Iowa City to be real good next season, too. Three of the players I sent them should start.
Old 11-20-2000, 11:00 PM   #23
FishFan
College Prospect

The only contract I offer to begin the FA period is a modest three year deal to P Jake Graveson. I will wait to negotiate Colin Neufeldt's deal. I sign FB Ken Morton to a 1.5 mil, 2 year deal. Graveson signs right away in week 2 which probably ends my activity other than negotiating the franchise deal. QB Broderick Orth finally found a suitor. Minnesota inks him to a 32.3 mil, 3 year deal. Way too mcuh for the Panthers to compete with. This is the third team that Orth has played for. Just for fun, I resign TE Vince Lake in week 14. Lake, a 14 year veteran, played for the Panthers from 2001 to 2009 before leaving via free agency. I offered him much less than other teams were offering, but he decided to come back to Carolina to take another shot at the Super Bowl. He played for both, the 2001 and 2008 championship teams in Carolina. I then trade my 6th round pick and TE Clarence Serrano, who is making much more, to Denver for their 3rd round draft pick. The trade also allows me to sign Neufeldt to a longterm deal.

Going into the draft, I am looking for a young QB to groom. I will also need a WR and backup CB. I should be able to do well with the picks I have.

Draft Results
QB Claude Clary, Utah (31/83)
WR Tito McLean, Mississippi St. (54/76)
S Antoine Cochrane, Nebraska (48/75)
LB Chester Strong, Mississippi St. (37/64)
CB Curtis Thomason, Temple (28/51)
RB Andy Dole, North Carolina (50/78)
RB Ty Finch, Wake Forest (54/70)
G Darrin McCormick, Washington St. (12/54)
DT Lamont Hauck, Wisconsin (4/36)

Okay, before training camp, this looks like my best draft ever. Of course, I gave up a lot to get all of this, but these guys, if no busts, will be the core of many quality teams after they develop in 4-5 years. I hold my breath going into camp. Both RBs are rated higher in future estimate than current RB Colin Neufeldt. Can you say trade bait?
Old 11-20-2000, 11:00 PM   #24
FishFan
College Prospect

Whew. Claude Clary is okay. His main ratings stay intact and I have a coach who can develop QBs. I hope he does his job with Clary. WR Tito McLean actually improved on his already stellar ratings. He will be a stud. S Antoine Cochrane, however, is a semi-bust. He will probably never start for this team, but can provide some backup help. The two RBs are about the same, also.

After training camp I released G Keith Meyer, S Ian Kerr, and RB Tyrone Truitt and signed the following two players:

C Darryl Holmes (league min)
QB Jerome Lyon (1.21 - 1 year)
T Monty Blake (870K - 1 year)
DE Blaine Turner (league min)

Lyon is a QB that can take the role of mentor to young Claude Clary.

Here are my estimated starting lineups heading into the 2014 preseason:

Here are my starters heading into the 2013 preseason campaign:

QB Randall Bright/Claude Clary
RB Colin Neufeldt
FB Frank Malone
TE Vince Lake
WR Vinny Short
WR Tito McLEan
LT Bo Schulz
RT Wally Reichard
C Willie Foley
RG Norbert Akamine
RT Johnnie Bryant

K Jesse Sexton
P Jake Graveson
KR Kerry Victor, Vincent Mena

DE Vincent Drexler
DT Earl Osborne
DT Greg Springer
DE Harold McKeever
LB Calvin Sandberg
LB Brock Brock
LB Derrick Shelton
CB Juan Gilbertson
CB Kerry Victor
FS Ronnie Wilkins
SS Kenneth Rehberg

Randall Bright will be the starter, but we will allow Clary to take a bunch of snaps in preseason. The same goes for the RBs. Other changes include the rookie Tito McLean starting at SE, CB Kerry Victor replacing Johnnie Benton, and DT Greg Springer getting an opportunity since the organization traded Jack Collier.
Old 11-21-2000, 06:24 PM   #25
FishFan
College Prospect

QB Randall Bright barely outplays the rookie Claude Clary. Bright will be the starter on opening day, though.

2014 Regular Season Results

Week 1 at Cleveland(W49-0, 1-0)
Week 2 vs St. Louis(W24-17, 2-0)
Week 3 vs San Francisco(W31-0, 3-0)
Week 4 vs New Orleans(W37-7, 4-0)
Week 5 at Jacksonville(W17-13, 5-0)
Week 6 vs Tampa Bay(W24-6, 6-0)
Week 7 at San Francisco(W21-7, 7-0)
Week 9 vs Baltimore(L17-27, 7-1)
Week 10 at St. Louis(L24-30, 7-2)
Week 11 vs Philadelphia(10-20, 7-3)
Week 12 at Atlanta(L14-20, 7-4)
Week 13 vs Austin(W25-20, 8-4)
Week 14 at New Orleans(W10-9, 9-4)
Week 15 vs Atlanta(L13-22, 9-5)
Week 16 at Green Bay(W34-20, 10-5)
Week 17 at Austin(L21-28, 10-6)

In a couple of rokoie debuts, RB Andy Dole runs for 112 yards on 18 carries and a score while WR Tito McLean catches seven balls for 58 yards and 3 TDs. Oh, by the way, the Panthers won the game 49-0 over the Browns. After beating the Rams, 24-17, the Panthers pitch their second shutout in three games, 31-0 over the 49ers, to improve to 3-0. This team looks good. I had to release DT Lamont Hauck in order to sign a kicker. Sexton hurt his knee and will be out for awhile. KC Samuels was signed to take his place. Another two wins takes us to 5-0 for the second straight year. Then, a 24-6 win over the Bucs give us our best start in franchise history. A win against the winless 49ers takes us into the bye week at 7-0. A pleasant surprise as I thought this type of success was a few years away.

Two-time defending chmpion, the Baltimore Ravens, was the first to beat the Panthers. A 27-17 loss in week nine drops us to 7-1. The loss to the Ravens sets off a three game losing streak, but we retain a one game lead in the division. Our fourth straight loss, this one to the Falcons, drops us to 7-4 and a tie for the division lead with the Falcons, of course. Two big wins by improves the team to 9-4 and a one game lead over the Rams and Falcons. We whip Green Bay to remain tied with the Rams entering the final week of the season. With seven teams already with 10 wins and one with nine, I have not yet clinched a playoff berth. This is a huge game against the Austin Bush. The Panthers promptly lose 28-21 to the Bush and will stay home from the playoffs. Atlanta also finished 10-6, but beat the Panthers twice to take the final spot. This is a huge blow to the organization after starting the year 7-0. Ouch.

The Ravens and Lions meet in Super Bowl XV. The Ravens are trying to become the first team to three-peat. The Lions score the games first 13 points, but the Ravens hold them scoreless the rest of the way and score 33 themselves. the 33-13 win makes history for the Ravens. Benjamin Arevalo get the game ball with 144 yards and a score, but the MVP goes to QB Deron Biggs for the 2nd straight year.

2014 Key Season Stats

QB Randall Bright 296-487-12-3368 22 TDs 86.3 rtg
RB Colin Neufeldt 277-1333 8 TDs
RB Andy Dole 71-311 3 TDs
WR Vinny Short 74-1190 7 TDs
WR Tito McLean 63-723 6 TDs
WR Carlos Starks 58-669 2 TDs
PK Jesse Sexton 10-17 FG 49 Lng
P Jake Graveson 42.6 Avg 27 In20
DE Harold McKeever 33 T 16.0 Sacks 6 Blks 5 Hurr
DE Vincent Drexler 54 T 11.0 Sacks 5 Blks 7 Hurr
LB Calvin Sandberg 90 T 30 A 2.5 Sacks 6 Dfns
LB Brock Brock 77 T 30 A 3.0 Sacks
CB Juan Gilbertson 41 T 2 INTs 9 Dfns
CB Kerry Victor 36 T 3 INTs(1TD) 6 Dfns
FS Ronnie Wilkins 55 T 24 A 6 INTs 6 Dfns
SS Kenneth Rehberg 77 T 23 A 7 INTs(1TD)
LG Wally Reichard 34.9 BPct 3 SkA
C Willie Foley 33.9 BPct 5 SkA
LT Bo Schulz 5 SkA

NFL MVP: Cris McDaniel, WAS
OFF POY: Cris McDaniel, WAS
DEF POY: Josh Fisk, CLE
OFF ROY: Roosevelt McGee, NYG
DEF ROY: Alex Bloedorn, NO

DE Harold McKeever All-Pro 2nd Team
S Kenneth Rehberg All-Pro 2nd Team

[This message has been edited by FishFan (edited 11-21-2000).]
Old 11-21-2000, 07:45 PM   #26
FishFan
College Prospect

A couple of retirements to report:

TE Vince Lake returned to Carolina, where it all started in 2001, to play his final season in a Panther uniform. Lake, one of the most durable TEs in the league, started 205 games for the Panthers, Giants, and Broncos. He only missed two games in his 14 year career, both back in 2005. However, he was not a huge traget to throw to. He managed 206 catches for 2912 yards and 16 touchdowns. His best season was a modest 32 catches and 254 yards. As a blocking TE, he never allowed a sack and ended his career with a 37.8 block percentage. While not a HOFer, he definitely was a reliable TE.

Safety Ronnie Wilkins also called it quits after the 2014 campaign. Wilkins, who played for the 2008 championship team, played his first four years in a Dolphin uniform before coming to Carolina for ten. His 67 interceptions currently ranks third on the all-time list while his 1068 tackles places him 11th on the all-time list. Of his 67 interceptions, Wilkins returned six of them to the house. He also defensed 86 passes giving him a 34.2 PDQ. In 2012, Wilkins was named All-Pro 1st Team safety, his only such award. He will be tough to replace in the Panther secondary.

After a few years of minimum salary and one year contracts, scout Ricky Leathers departs for Washington. I guess he had enough of my antics. Leathers served as scout since 2001 and during his tenure, the Panthers went 141-100 with seven trips to the playoffs and two bowl championships. Maybe he wasn't so bad after all. I offer Victor Lowman a three year deal for 410K per, but he is nothing but a holdover. Of course, I won't tell him that. The 71 year old with no professional experience signs immediately, almost too quickly. Former coach Tyrone Horiszny re-ups with the Lone Stars for three more years.

Unrestricted
FB Ralph Malone
C Willie Foley
LB Derrick Shelton
QB Jerome Lyon
T Monty Blake
DT Greg Springer

Restricted
DE Charlie Andrews
S James Budd
RB James Barlow
G Devin Shelton

I franchise C Willie Foley and will go after the LB Shelton. That's where my action will halt this offseason. With an untested scout, I will back off on going after high proced free agents until I get a high profile scout next year.

Ralph Malone is offered 8.64 mil over four seasons by the Bucaneers. I am not sure if I will pursue him. I throw a 13 mil, 3 year deal at Derrick Shelton in week 5, though. In week 6, Malone accepts a smaller deal to play with the Colts in Indy. QB Jerome Lyon signs for 9.5 mil per season in Minnesota. That doesn't bother me at all. In week 10, T Monty Blake signs a two year deal with Denver and Shelton resigns with the Panthers. Miami snathes up my last UFA, signing DT Greg Springer. I believe this is the first year that all of my UFAs were taken by me or other teams. Interesting.

I close out the period by inking Foley to a three year deal. I am very confused by how much the ratings of some of these players have changed. My QB of the future is not even on the same level as Bright. That bothers me.

I go into the draft looking for quality players - nothing in particular, just zero busts.

Draft Results
CB Scottie McCarthy, Michigan St. (38/64)
S Cornell Sampson, Boston College (36/61)
LB Adam Springer, Grand Valley St. (27/73)
TE Mo Isbell, New Hampshire (47/57)
FB Rick Frederick, Arizona St. (34/43)
FB Kendall Chandler, Central(Ia) (33/56)
C Trent Schwartz, Georgetown (18/34)

Not much here. Thought I would pick up a corner to replace Gilbertson in a few years. I also needed a safety to start for the retired Ronnie Wilkins. Hopefully, I do not have another safety bust on my hands.

Following the draft, I released FB Ken Morton, C Erik Richmond, and CB Toby Fulton.

I signed the following to league mins, unless noted:

S Dave Romund (890K - 1 year)
DT Allen Kramer (890K - 1 year)
DE Louis Snyder
G Mario Garrett
T Stan McCarthy
RB Alex Alexander
QB Robbie Kangas (1.43 mil - 1 year)

Old 11-21-2000, 07:55 PM   #27
FishFan
College Prospect

Projected starting lineups for 2015

QB Randall Bright
RB Colin Neufeldt
FB Kendall Chandler
TE Mo Isbell
WR Vinny Short
WR Tito McLean
LT Johnnie Bryant
LG Wally Reichard
C Willie Foley
RG Norbert Akamine
RT Bo Schulz

K Jesse Sexton
P Jake Graveson
KR Kerry Victor

DE Vincent Drexler
DT Earl Osborne
DT Luke Raymond
DE Harold McKeever
LB Calvin Sandberg
LB Brock Brock
LB Derrick Shelton
CB Juan Gilbertson
CB Kerry Victor
FS Kenneth Rehberg
SS Dave Romund

I feel the team has taken a step backwards, mainly because a lot of the ratings have dropped with this new scout. I hope he knows what he is doing. For the first time, I think about taking on the next expansion job that comes along to start from scratch.

Four new starters this year...
Old 11-21-2000, 08:54 PM   #28
FishFan
College Prospect

My first 4-0 preseason. Hmmmm. QB Claude Clary outplays Randall Bright and will get the nod to start the season.

2015 Regular Season Results

Week 1 at Philadelphia(L23-40, 0-1)
Week 2 vs New Orleans(w17-10, 1-1)
Week 3 vs Dallas(T34-34, 1-1-1)
Week 4 vs Atlanta(W33-17, 2-1-1)
Week 5 at San Francisco(L27-37, 2-2-1)
Week 6 at Atlanta(W27-0, 3-2-1)
Week 8 at Kansas City(W20-14, 4-2-1)
Week 9 vs Austin(L16-24, 4-3-1)
Week 10 vs San Diego(L21-38, 4-4-1)
Week 11 vs Minnesota(W31-6, 5-4-1)
Week 12 at Austin(L19-27, 5-5-1)
Week 13 vs St. Louis(L17-24, 5-6-1)
Week 14 vs San Francisco(W38-21, 6-6-1)
Week 15 at New Orleans(W19-13, 7-6-1)
Week 16 at Seattle(L14-35, 7-7-1)
Week 17 at St. Louis(L17-20, 7-8-1)

The year begins awkward with a 1-1-1 start. QB Claude Clary play well enough no to lose his starting job, but he is on the fence. Neufeldt is carrying this team, as the defense has been hit with some injuries and some bad play in the first six games. Two straight losses and the Panthers fall to third in the division at 4-4-1.

Once again, the Panthers falter late in the year and find theselves at 5-6-1 and a longshot to make the playoffs. I blame the defense for many of these losses as the offense has been running efficinetly. I also lose LB Calvin Sandberg and CB Juan Gilbertson in week 13. After a slow start for QB Claude Clary, he has rebounded to raise his rating to 94.5 and place himself in the top five QBs in the league. I have decided that my scout is gone after this year - the ratings seem well off on many key players.

The team wins a big one in week 15 to improve to 7-6-1 and puts themselves in position to make the playoffs with a couple of wins. They play a couple of 7-7 teams to close out the year. Against Seattle, they get pounded 35-14, but a win in the finale could put them in the playoffs. What a non-clutch ballclub. They blow 17-13 lead with under a minute to play against St. Louis, keeping them out of the playoffs.

Iowa City made sure we would not see a four-peat, beating the Ravens in the Wild Card Round, 38-13. Austin and Miami meet for Super Bowl XVI in what would be the first Super Bowl Championship for an expansion team as Austin beat the Dolphins, 27-10. Austin QB KC Villa claims MVP honors as he throws for 266 yards and a pair of scores.

2015 Key Season Stats

QB Claude Clary 263-461-10-3644 24 TDs 90.8 rtg
RB Colin Neufeldt 275-1406 14 TDs
WR Vinny Short 71-1169 7 TDs
WR Tito McLean 62-768 5 TDs
WR Carlos Starks 50-853 8 TDs (Deep threat)
PK Jesse Sexton 25-33 FG 53 Lng
P Jake Graveson 42.9 Avg 26 In20
LB Brock Brock 101 T 30 A
LB Calvin Sandberg 81 T
CB Scottie McCarthy 4 INTs
S Dave Romund 65 T 10 Dfns
DT Allen Kramer 7.0 Sacks (backup)
DE Vincent Drexler 5.5 Sacks 9 Hurr
C Willie Foley 34.5 BPct 3 SkA
LT Bo Schulz 38.3 BPct 6 SkA
LG Norbert Akamine 38.1 BPct 5 SkA

Awards

NFL MVP: Darrin Kelly, MIA
OFF POY: Ronald Blake, SD
DEF POY: Lewis Lynch, NYG
OFF ROY: Jimmie Douglas, SF
DEF ROY: Ricky McDonnell, CHI

C Willie Foley All-Pro 2nd Team
Old 11-21-2000, 09:46 PM   #29
FishFan
College Prospect

I had my first computer generated player retire that played his entire career in a Panther uniform. The man so sweet, they named him twice, LB Brock Brock, retired after 13 season in the NFL. HE started 178 games over the course of his career, collecting 930 tackles and 315 assists. He was a great run-stopper in the mold of Zach Thomas. He was not solely a run-stopper, though. He amassed 25 sacks and collected 6 hurries. What he lacked was pass defense, but he did pick off six passes and defense another 38 passes. He returned one pick for a score. What a shame it was that he was never named to an All-Pro team.

The frnachise moves into their new state-of-the-art stadium which should boost their 50 million profit from last season. I will accept whatever default ticket prices are generated for the new stadium.

I can't find a scout better than the guy I currently have so I pass this stage of the game quickly.

Unrestricted
K Jesse Sexton
WR Vinny Short
S Kenneth Rehberg
G Wally Reichard
G Norbert Akamine
T Johnnie Bryant
QB Robbie Kangas
DT allen Kramer
LB Arnie Murdock
S Dave Romund

Restricted
TE Jerome Colman
WR Mario Clemons
DT Luke Raymond
G Darrin McCormick

With half of my offensive line testing the market, I will have to get the wallet out. The bright spot? I'll have about 30 mil to spend on these guys. I slap the franchise tag on Short as he is critical to the passing game cohesion. I would also like to reatin Sexton, Rehberg, Kramer, and Raymond.

I begin the FA Period with the following offers on the table:

G Wally Reichard 13.1 - 3 years
T Johnnie Bryant 29.0 - 4 years
DT Allen Kramer 9.44 - 3 years
S Kenneth Rehberg 12.5 - 3 years

In week three, Rehberg and Reichard accept their offers. I viewed Rehberg as the biggest need out of this group. I have no starters returning without him. I offer Sexton a mil per for the next two seasons. Allen Kramer inks in week 5, but for 8.69 mil for the three seasons. I up my offer to 30.5 mil for T Johnnie Bryant, slighly less than the Packers offer him. Sexton resigns in week 7. Philly makes things interesting by offering Bryant 32.11 mil over 4 years. I stand firm with my offer. He has average loyalty, so he may be on his way out of town. But, as soon as I speak, he inks the deal to remain a Panther.

To free up some cap room, I trade DT Earl Osborne to Cincinnati for a 2nd round draft pick(38th overall). I throw an offer on the table to G Norbert Akamine in week 11 after Baltimore offer him over 8 mil for two years. I ink him in week 13 to a 3 year 12.49 mil deal, well below the highest bid. These guys must think we are close to going to the big dance.

I end my FA Period activity by signing franchise player, VInny Short to a 3 year, 10.50 mil deal. This should lock him up for the rest of his career.
Old 11-21-2000, 10:18 PM   #30
FishFan
College Prospect

Draft Results
S Sedrick Oquendo, Stanford (49/77)
WR Curtis Milloy, Auburn (34/62)
DT Tito Sellers, Oregon St. (12/36)
T Nicky Thomas, Angelo St. (27/60)
G Louis Stephens, Florida St. (34/45)
DT Rob Parrish, Missouri (16/30)
LB Kenneth Davison, SE Missouri St. (13/35)
RB Morris Halas, South Florida (35/44)

I signed DT Brad Wilson(1.41 - 1 year) after training camp as all of my rookies stayed the same or improved a little bit. Then, I signed QB Max Tate to a one year, 1.44 deal. He will be my emergency QB this season. I released RB Morris Halas to cut down to 53 players.

Projected Starting Lineups:

QB Claude Clary
RB Colin Neufeldt
FB Kendall Chandler
TE Mo Isbell
WR Vinny Short
WR Tito McLean
LT Johnnie Bryant
LG Wally Reichard
C Willie Foley
RG Norbert Akamine
RT Bo Schulz

K Jesse Sexton
P Jake Graveson
KR Kerry Victor

DE Vincent Drexler
DT Allen Kramer
DT Brad Wilson
DE Harold McKeever
LB Derrick Shelton
LB Calvin Sandberg
LB Matt Forbes
CB Kerry Victor
CB Juan Gilbertson
FS Kenneth Rehberg
SS Sedrick Oquendo

Everyone back on offense, four newcomers(starters) on defense. We should improve on last year's 7-8-1 record.

Old 11-21-2000, 10:53 PM   #31
FishFan
College Prospect

2015 Regular Season Results

Week 1 at Atlanta(L0-31, 0-1)
Week 2 vs San Francisco(W29-7, 1-1)
Week 3 at Austin(L13-34, 1-2)
Week 4 at St. Louis(L18-24, 1-3)
Week 5 at New Orleans(L15-37, 1-4)
Week 7 vs Austin(W34-27, 2-4)
Week 8 at Indianapolis(W22-6, 3-4)
Week 9 at Minnesota(W35-24, 4-4)
Week 10 vs Buffalo(L31-36, 4-5)
Week 11 vs New England(W24-17, 5-5)
Week 12 vs Atlanta(L13-23, 5-6)
Week 13 at San Francisco(W40-3, 6-6)
Week 14 vs New Orleans(L20-24, 6-7)
Week 15 vs St. Louis(W13-7, 7-7)
Week 16 at Philadelphia(W13-10, 8-7)
Week 17 vs Dallas(W17-7, 9-7)

Our defense gets nailed in two of our first three games, getting blitzed 31-0 by Atlanta and 34-13 by defending champs Austin. Our defense can't stop anyone as we stumble into the bye week a dismal 1-4. Can we beat anyone?

Our offense does score enough points to beat the Austin Bush, 34-27. Maybe this big win can turn our season around. After the Austin win, the Panthers win two more before falling to the Bills, 36-31, to fall to 4-5. If we only had a defense.

Once again, Clary overcome a slow start to put up strong numbers and Neufeldt continues to run strong. After a 24-17 win over the Patriots the Panthers stand 5-5. If they can go 5-1 or 4-2 from here out, they should make the playoffs. They do not have an easy schedule, though.

Whenever this team needs a win, they don't get it. We have been hovering around mediocrity for years. We need to turn the corner.

After a "players only" meeting in which the offense ripped into the defense, the defense responded with an amazing performance, allowing just 24 points over the last three games. The Panthers win them all to finish 9-7, but it is not enough to make the playoffs. Carolina watches Philadelphia, Tampa Bay, and New Orleans all go with similar 9-7 records. Mediocrity sucks. No wins, no high draft picks.

Miami and Austin meet in the Super Bowl for the second straight year. Miami gets a measure of revenge, claiming Super Bowl XVII by a score of 24-17. CB Billy Bernstein walks away with the MVP award with twp interceptions.

Season stats and awards will come later....
Old 11-22-2000, 11:16 PM   #32
FishFan
College Prospect

DE Harold McKeever and QB Randall Bright both hung up their football spikes in 2016. McKeever, a 13 year veteran and Panther for the last six seasons, set a new standard for defensive linemen with his 27.5 sacks in 2006. Playing for the 49ers, Harold broke out in his 2005 with a 11.5 sack performance and followed it up with 92.0 sacks over the next four seasons. I monster pass rusher, McKeever could also stop the run on occasion. He collected 419 tackles, 168 assists while deflecting 64 passes at the line of scrimmage. He was named to the All-Pro 1st Team in 2006 and 2009, as well as a four-time 2nd Team selection(2007, 2008, 2010, and 2014). With Carolina he did not put up the same numbers, but still collected 68 sacks in six seasons. Bright, a starter for the Panthers from 2010 to 2014, played 10 years in the league and quit after not taking a single snap in 2015 and throwing just two passes in 2016. Instead of starting over with another team, Bright left the game. As a Panther, Randall enjoyed some success in his 70 starts. He threw for 16477 yards and 102 TDs while throwing 68 interceptions. His career 59.3 completion percentage and 84.6 rating are not too shabby, either. In his first full season as starter, 2010, Bright completed 319 passes for 4014 yards and 28 TDs. He finished the year with 88.3 rating. While putting up decent numbers, Bright was never able to take the Panthers to the next level.
Old 11-23-2000, 10:20 PM   #33
FishFan
College Prospect

Two new teams will enter the NFL in 2017. The Los Angeles Gold Rush will play in the NFC East and the Champaign Corks will battle it out in the NFC Central. With only 35 players signed heading into 2017, I will have to expose five more for the expansion draft.

During the scout/coach period, I submit a 1.5 mil contract for five years to Jim Roberson, the long-time Rams scout who has helped St. Louis to nine playoff appearances. I also offer a five year extension to coach Chuck Reddy worth 11 mil a year. Both deals will make these guys the highest paid men in their professions. They both sign right away with no hesitation.

I expose the following players to the expansion draft:

TE Van Hartman
T Wally Reel
DE Blaine Turner
LB Kenneth Davison
CB Vincent Mesa

I made it through 30 picks without seeing any of my players selected. With the 31st pick, the Corks selected CB Vincent Mesa. Then, the Gold Rush took T Wally Reel with the 40th pick and TE Van Hartman with the 48th pick. No big losses. If anything this will free up an additional 3 mil in cap room. I'll need it, as I only have 32 players signed after the expansion draft.

My profits from the new stadium skyrocketed and let's just say I won't be raising ticket prices anytime soon. I averaged 91,600 spectators per game this season, a capacity of 91.6%. By far, my best season. Now, I just need to take this team to the top to secure a great rating.

Here's my dreadful free agent situation:

Unrestricted
CB Juan Gilbertson
P Jake Graveson
LB Calvin Sandberg
T Bo Schulz
DE Vincent Drexler
QB Max Tate
WR Everett Cecava
WR Carlos Starks
CB Kerry Victor
DT Brad Wilson
LB Matt Forbes

Restricted
RB Ty Finch
RB Andy Dole
FB Kendall Chandler
FB Rick Frederick
TE Mo Isbell

Of the UFAs, I will try to resign DE Drexler, LB Sandberg, T Schulz, and WR Starks. I slap the tag on Kerry Victor, as he is listed as Unhappy despite starting ever game the past three seasons. I would also like to signed all the RFAs, but they will probably demand too much.

I offer Sanberg 3 years at 13.6 mil and Drexler 4 years at 32.73 mil. Then, I switch gears a bit and offer DT Deion Glenn 4 years at 29.26 mil and T Brant Koplitz 18.25 mil for 3 years. I am already paying one tackle 7 mil and do no think it is necessary to offer another tackle the sam kind of money. We'll see what happens here.

Drexler signs right away, but the others hold off. Sandberg pick up his in week 3 and the two necomers in week 7. I have also put an offer on the table for P Jake Graveson. I want to leave some cap room to sign some restricted FAs, but will try to pick up some reserves late in the stages.

Graveson signed in week 8, while Schulz and DT Wilson were both offered substantial contracts from other teams. Gilbertson signed with the Corks in week 10, leaving me a hole at CB. I've got a couple of young guys that can fill in until I find another longterm guy. Schulz also signed in week 10, with Los Angeles. Apparently, they both feel they can land starting jobs with expansion teams. Wilson also signed with LA on week 12, while the Panthers offered LB MAtt Forbes a four year deal worth 19 mil. He picks that up in week 13.

Following the FA period, Itrade RB Andy Dole to the Bills along with a 4th round pick for their first round draft pick.

Draft Results
DT John Fisk, Appalachian St.
DE Brendan Prescott, Duke
WR Sedrick Horn, Alcorn St.
FB Donovan Rasmussen, Marist
QB Marlon Watson, Pittsburgh
CB Lawrence Winslett, Northern Michigan
RB Cornelius Snyder, Baylor

I feel I improved my much maligned defensive line with Fisk and Prescott. Horn may be a reliable fourth WR this season and Rasmussen may develop into a starting FB for the Panthers in a couple of years. The rest are roster fillers.

Following the draft, I trade RB Ty Finch to Los Angeles for RB Korey Molina. The teams also exchange 2nd round picks in the deal. I then resign FB Kendall Chandler and TE Mo Isbell. I fill out my roster by picking up the follwoing FAs:

QB Nate Collado (1 year - 1.32 mil)
TE Max Gibson (1 year - 940K)
CB Orlando Grolitzer (league min)
WR Alan Elam (940K - 1 year)
WR Carlos Starks (2.83 mil 1 year)

Old 11-23-2000, 10:29 PM   #34
FishFan
College Prospect

Here are my projected starting lineups going into 2017:

QB Claude Clary
RB Colin Neufeldt
FB Kendall Chandler
TE Mo Isbell
WR Vinny Short
WR Tito McLean
LT Johnnie Bryant
LG Wally Reichard
C Willie Foley
RG Norbert Akamine
RT Brant Koplitz

K Jesse Sexton
P Jake Graveson
KR Korey Molina/Kerry Victor

DE Brenden Prescott
DT Deion Glenn
DT John Fisk
DE Vincent Drexler
LB Matt Forbes
LB Calvin Sandberg
LB Derrick Shelton
CB Kerry Victor
CB Scottie McCarthy
FS Sedrick Oquendo
SS Kenneth Rehberg

The offense stays the same from last year, but the defense sees a few changes, especially on the line. DE Brenden Prescott, DT Deion Glenn, and DT John Fisk join the only returning starter, Vincent Drexler, on the DL. CB Scottie McCarthy also steps in to the starting lineup, replacing the absent Juan Gilbertson.

Old 11-24-2000, 12:02 AM   #35
FishFan
College Prospect

2017 Regular Season Results

Week 1 at Tennessee(L31-34, 0-1)
Week 2 vs Austin(L17-18, 0-2)
Week 4 vs San Francisco(W13-10, 1-2)
Week 5 vs Atlanta(W13-12, 2-2)
Week 6 vs Jacksonville(W24-13, 3-2)
Week 7 vs St. Louis(W22-19, 4-2)
Week 8 at Atlanta(L6-41, 4-3)
Week 9 at New Orleans(L7-37, 4-4)
Week 10 at San Francisco(W27-17, 5-4)
Week 11 at Austin(W20-10, 6-4)
Week 12 at Arizona(W27-14, 7-4)
Week 13 vs Cincinnati(W31-6, 8-4)
Week 14 at St. Louis(W24-12, 9-4)
Week 15 vs New Orleans(W38-13, 10-4)
Week 16 at Champaign(W20-16, 11-4)
Week 17 vs Chicago(L13-14, 11-5)
Divisional Playoff vs Detroit(W23-20, 12-5)
NFC Championship at Philadelphia(W10-9, 13-5)
Super Bowl XVIII vs Houston(W27-13, 14-5)

New season, same result. The offense puts up an amazing performance, but the defense gives up 34 points in a 34-31 loss to Tennessee to start the season. A safety costs them a win in week two before a 13-10 win vs San Francisco. Through three games, it looks like the only two defensive players I have are DE Vincent Drexler and S Sedrick Oquendo. Nobody else can make plays. Pathetic.

Finally, the team put together four straight wins, of course all coming at home. The Panthers are about to embark on a five game road trip that will truely test the mettle of this ballclub.

We begin the road trip by being on the wrong end of back-to-back blowouts to Atlanta and New Orleans. We follow that up with two straight win, including a 20-10 victory of division leading Austin to get back to 6-4. Of course, the Bush, Rams, and Falcons are all 7-3. We finish the road trip with another W to improve to 7-4.

At 8-4, Colin Neufeldt is suffering through his worse season to date, by far. He has not crossed the 600 yard mark after 12 games. He has battled injuries here and there, but not enough to keep him from performing. His 3.2 average is unaccetable. Our fifth straight win, a 24-21 beating of the Rams, moves us into a tie for the division lead at 9-4.

Two more wins and suddenly this Panther team is 11-4 and could claim the division and a first round bye with a win in the final week. They have already clinched playoff spot; the first in three years. Neufeldt finally became untracked with a 143 yard performance. Another 120 in the finale will give him another 1000 yard season.

We lose our finale, but so do the Rams, Falcons, and the Bush, clinching the NFC West Championship - our 7th title. We will play the postseason without WR Vinny Short, who severly bruised his thigh. He end his career on that note. CB Lawrence Winslett will also miss the remainder of the season.

NFC Central division winner Detroit advances to face the Panthers in the Divisional Playoff. The Panthers jumped out to a 17-7 halftime lead behind Clary's two TD passes to McLean and Pasmussen. Down 20-7 with 6:20 left to play, the Lions mount a comeback. QB Morris Clayton finds Carlos Washington for scores of 39 and 17 to tie the game at 20. Derek Foss missed an extra point that would have made it 21-20 with under four minutes to play. Clary then led the Panthers on a final drive that resulted in a Jesse Sexton 36 yard FG with :10 remaining to down the Lions, 23-20. Philadelphia(14-3) is up next in the NFC Championship. Tennessee and Houston meet in the AFC Championship.

In a huge defensive battle, the Panthers survive three 4th quarter Ealge field goals, 10-9 to advance to the Super Bowl for the first time since 2008. QB Claude Clary is named game MVP as he engineered an early TD drive and went 19-33-0-153 for one score. Kenneth Rehberg intercepted a pass late in the 4th quarter to seal the victory. Much heralded Eagle QB, Rex Singleton, was held in check, completing 18 of 35 passes for 234 yards and no touchdowns. More importantly, the Panther defense held the Eagle ground game to 23 total yards. The Houston Lone Stars and former coach Tyrone Horiszny will be our foe in Super Bowl XVIII.

The Lone Star have Christ on their side. Myron Christ, that is. The Houston QB threw for more than 4000 yards during the regular season to go along with his 27 TDs. He will be the main focus of the Panther defense.

Houston got on the board first following a quick three-and-out by the Panther offense. Christ went to the air and comepleted passes of 24, 14, and 9 to Gary Carpenter, the last one for a touchdown. After another Panther punt, Christ went back to work driving across midfield. On 2nd-and-10 from the CAR37, Christ threw a pass in the flat that LB Matt Forber, a great money player, picked off and returned to the house. 67 yards later and the game is tied at seven.

Following a Lone Star punt on the next possession, Clary found little used WR Milloy on 3rd-and-9 for a 57 yard scoring strike, giving the Panthers a 14-7 lead in the 1st quarter. The Panthers forced another punt and Clary went back to work. He found Tito McLean on gains of 48 and 16, the latter coming on a huge 3rd-and-15. He capped the drive with another 25 yard TD strike to Millow. Suddenly, it's 21-7 and the Panthers can put the champagne on ice with another score befoer halftime. On the ensuing possession, the Lone Stars were able to muster up a 29 yd field goal after grounding out tough yards on the ground. We have completely taken away their passing attack. After a Panther punt, the Lone Stars have an opportunity to cut down more of the deficit. But, Coach Horiszny elects to go for it on 4th-and-2 from the CAR31. If attempted, the 48 yard field goal would make this an eight point game. Christ throws a short screen, but Alston manages just a yard after a great play by Derrick Shelton. The ball cahnges possession with 2:08 left adn Carolina has all three timeouts left. We can't capitalize and we head into the lockerrooms up 21-10.

The teams exchange punts to begin the 2nd half before the Lone Stars connect on a 31 yd field goal. The Panthers lead is down to 21-13. Jesse Sexton counters with a 47 yarder of his own to push the lead back to 11, 24-13 with 13:39 remaining. On the Lone Stars' next possession, the Panther defense comes up with another big play. S Sampson picks off another Chirst pass, this one in the endzone for a touchback. A huge play. After another exchange of punts, the Panthers drive to the HOU9 behind the strong legs of Colin Neufeldt. Sexton makes good on a 26 yarder and the lead is up to 27-13 with 2:35. Houston needs a miracle. Christ cannot come up with a miracle this time, as CB Grollitzer picks off another pass in the endzone with 1:02 remaining. Carolina will win Super Bowl XVIII! Matt Forbes calims MVP honors with his big interception and TD that really set the tone for the Panthers defense. Clary threw for 256 yards and the pair of TDs, in what will hopefully be the first of many Super Bowl Appearances.

2017 Key Stats
QB Claude Clary 329-542-17-3757 20 TDs 80.7 rtg
RB Colin Neufeldt 270-890 7 TDs
WR Vinny Short 70-974 6 TDs
WR Tito McLean 78-814 4 TDs
WR Carlos Starks 55-754 4 TDs
TE Mo Isbell 43-437 1 TD
DE Vincent Drexler 9.5 Sacks
DE Louie Snyder 7.0 Sacks
DT Deion Glenn 31 T 13 A 6.0 Sacks 5 Blk 6 Hurr
LB Calvin Sandberg 94 T 28 A
S Sedrick Oquendo 86 T 42 A 8 INTs 6 Dfns 43.8 PDQ
S Kenneth Rehberg 76 T 27 A
CB Kerry Victor 7 Dfns

Awards

NFL MVP: Rex Singleton, PHI
OFF POY: Randal Barlow, DAL
DEF POY: Brady Jackson, NYJ
OFF ROY: Christian Meadows, SD
DEF ROY: Terry Miailovich, TEN

S Sedrick Oquendo All-Pro 1st Team

Old 11-24-2000, 12:22 AM   #36
sjshaw
lolzcat

Congratulations!

BTW, are you calling the plays? Do you watch each game or just read the logs?
Old 11-24-2000, 08:59 AM   #37
huve
Mascot

Good job FishFan you weathered the Mo Nally storm and found success.! Congrats and lets hope your team can repeat.

huve
Old 11-24-2000, 05:07 PM   #38
FishFan
College Prospect

sjshaw: thanks for reading! i only watch the big games unfold - playoff games and big regualr season games late in the year. i never call play because i have foound it too easy to run up the score on the opponent. i rarely use the game logs unless i miss something during a game that i am watching, or want to see how something occurred during a quick-simmed contest.

huve: it took me awhile, but i was finally able to win after the early retirement of Mo McNally. i thought this past championship was a little bit of a surprise as the defense has not played well and QB Claude Clary had his worst season, statistically. we'll see how this team responds to success.
Old 11-24-2000, 06:06 PM   #39
FishFan
College Prospect

A little bit of trivia here. Back in 2008, I picked up a TE after training camp to fill up that position. That TE was Max Gibson. He played for Carolina for that championship season before signing with Philadelphia for 2009. After five seasons in Philly and three with the Jets, the Panthers again signed Gibson follwoing training camp before the 2017 season. Again, he would play just one season as a Panther, retiring after picking up another championship ring in 2017. How odd is it that a TE will find himself on a Carolina roster twice for just one season, eight years apart, and win championships both seasons. He must have been what was missing all those years.

In his 13 seasons overall, Gibson caught 176 passes for 1764 yards and 23 TDs. Not bad for a career reserve TE that only started 32 games in 13 years.

Being totally content with my coach/scout situation, I breeze through that phase with no activity.

Unrestricted
K Jesse Sexton
QB Nate Collado
WR Carlos Starks
CB Kerry Victor
WR Alan Elam
LB Chester Strong
CB Curtis Thomason
S Antoine Cochrane

Restricted
C Trent Schwartz

Out of this group, I will franchise Victor again, since he is still pissed about playing time despite starting every game last season. I will try to get Sexton back to finish his career - he's in his 18th season. I'll welcome Starks back if he falls to the late rounds. I have a couple of backup defensive backs, Cochrane and Thomason, that will demand too much to resign. I only have about 15 mil to work with.

I ink Sexton right away at 1.25 mil per for two seasons and do not see any FAs on the market that I would like to bring in. I put in a meager offer to LB Vinny Langton, but it is much lower than other teams' offers. He could come in and replace one of my aging LBs or play the outside position that has been in limbo since Brock Brock retired a few seasons ago. Langton signs with the Bears, the higest bidder, in week 4. Buffalo offers Chester Strong 9.5 mil over two seasons in week 9. I cannot match that offer for an untested FA, so I let that offer go uncontested. Strong ends up signing a 3 year, 14.11 mil contract with the 49ers, ensuring he'll get two cracks each year against his former team.

I nail down WR Carlos Starks in week 19 with a contract worth over 19 mil for four seasons. I'll use 6-7 mil on my franchise player, Victor, and another 5-7 on rookies, which will leave me about 3-4 mil after all 53 players are signed. My biggest surplus in awhile.

Draft Results
LB Howard Sell, Tennessee (49/77)
LB Derek Wolf, Virginia Tech (18/67)
CB Max McElroy, Stanford (8/31)
S Rick Woodson, West Virginia (23/42)
TE Vince Tatum, Cincinnati (38/38)
C Jeremy Bruener, Wingate (10/56)
QB Dustin Campbell, Michigan (10/20)

My franchise player gets 6.7 mil this season which will be his last in a Panther uniform if he does not improve his numbers. He has 10 career interceptions and a career 28.4 PDQ.
Old 11-24-2000, 06:13 PM   #40
FishFan
College Prospect

Projected 2018 Starting Lineups:

QB Claude Clary
RB Colin Neufeldt
FB Kendall Chandler
TE Mo Isbell
WR Tito McLean
WR Vinny Short
LT Johnnie Bryant
LG Wally Reichard
C Willie Foley
RG Norbert Akamine
RT Brant Koplitz

K Jesse Sexton
P Jake Graveson
KR Kerry Victor

DE Brenden Prescott
DT Deion Glenn
DT John Fisk
DE Vincent Drexler
LB Derrick Shelton
LB Matt Forbes
LB Adam Springer
CB Kerry Victor
CB Scottie McCarthy
FS Sedrick Oquendo
SS Kenneth Rehberg

The linebacking corps is the area seeing the most changes. LB Adam Springer replaces long-time LB Calvin Sandberg, who will be the main backup.
Old 11-24-2000, 07:13 PM   #41
FishFan
College Prospect

2018 Regular Season Results

Week 1 at Seattle(L6-34, 0-1)
Week 2 vs Atlanta(L31-37, 0-2)
Week 3 at San Francisco(W13-7, 1-2)
Week 4 at St. Louis(L21-27, 1-3)
Week 5 at San Diego(W37-3, 2-3)
Week 6 vs San Francisco(W21-6, 3-3)
Week 7 vs Chicago(W23-6, 4-3)
Week 9 at Atlanta(L13-27, 4-4)
Week 10 vs New Orleans(W20-13, 5-4)
Week 11 vs Houston(W23-20, 6-4)
Week 12 vs St. Louis(L21-28, 6-5)
Week 13 vs Austin(L19-21, 6-6)
Week 14 at New Orleans(L10-27, 6-7)
Week 15 vs Philadelphia(L10-13, 6-8)
Week 16 at Detroit(L10-30, 6-9)
Week 17 at Austin(L3-28, 6-10)

The Panther defense gives up 71 points in the first two games as Carolina begins their title defense 0-2. A win at perrenial doormat, San Francisco, gives the Panthers their first win. After another loss, I replace RB Colin Neufeldt with Korey Molina. Molina has played well in a reserve roll and deserves a shot as Neufeldt has stumbled a bit. Molina responds with 234 yards on 19 carries and 2 scores in a 37-3 win over San Diego. Wow. Two more wins sends us into the bye week at 4-3. The defense has allowed just 15 points over the three game win streak.

We win two of our next three to move within two games of division leaders Atlanta and St. Louis. A loss to the Rams drops us to 6-5, with four of the losses coming at the hands of the Rams and Falcons. In week 13, we lose the game to the Bush and DT Deion Glenn to an injury. Glenn will miss the remainder of the season. WR Tito McLEan is also out until the playoffs. Two more lossed and suddenly this team is out of the playoff hunt. Talk about a reversal from last season. The Rams have improved to 11-3 and has clinched the division. The offense disappeared the last several weeks and we finish up at 6-10. I just cannot figure this team out.

Philadelphia returns to the Super Bowl to face Cleveland, who went from 4-12 in 2017 to 12-4 in 2018. QB Rex Singleton led the Eagles to a 20-6 win over the Browns in Super Bowl XIX. LB James Carrion, however, won MVP honors with 8 tackles and one interception returned for a TD.
Key Season Stats

QB Claude Clary 296-520-19-3523 19 TDs 74.6 rtg 70-426 rush
RB Colin Neufeldt 135-424 3 TDs
RB Korey Molina 224-1159 5 TDs
WR Carlos Starks 64-887 5 TDs
WR Tito McLean 60-812 4 TDs
WR Vinny Short 58-738 3 TDs
TE Mo Isbell 41-414 2 TDs
K Jesse Sexton 22-32 FG 50 Lng
P Jake Graveson 43.9 Avg 41 In20
DE Louis Snyder 31 T
DE Vincent Drexler 8.5 Sacks 9 Hurr
DE Brenden Prescott 6.0 Sacks
DT John Fisk 30 T
DT Deion Glenn 12.0 Sacks 5 Blk
LB Matt Forbes 98 T 28 A 6.5 Sacks 7 Dfns
S Sedrick Oquendo 79 T 23 A 4 INTs 7 Dfns

Awards
NFL MVP: Andy Lanning, TBY
OFF POY: Cory Bradford, TEN
DEF POY: Mitch Fisher, STL
OFF ROY: Bucky Wooden, SEA
DEF ROY: Phil Riddell, TEN

Deservedly so, the Panthers have no players named to either All-Pro team.
Old 11-24-2000, 08:59 PM   #42
FishFan
College Prospect

We have a couple of guys retire in 2018: WR Vinny Short and LB Calvin Sandberg. Short, a 1st round draft pick in 2005, played his entire career with the Carolina Panthers and holds franchise records in all major receiving categories. Over the course of his career, Short caught 994 balls for 15198 yards, finding the endzone 81 times. He was named to the All-Pro 2nd Team in 2008 when he gained 1406 yards through the air on 96 catches. Short is sixth in career recpetions, two spots behind former teammate Van Butkus who has 1017. Short also finished his career 5th in alltime receiving yards and 9th in receiving touchdowns. He also holds the record for most passes caught in a playoff game. In 2005, he caught 16 balls against the Bucanneers. Sandberg, athe 2nd round pick of the Panthers in 2005, also played his entire career in Carolina.His 1031 tackles places him 28th on the all-time list. He also has 325 assists and 40.5 sacks to go along with all those tackles. He is a three time All-Pro selection, making the 1st Team in 2009 and the 2nd Team in 2010 and 2013. Both will go into Carolina history as some two of the greatest players to ever wear a Panther uniform.

In scout news, former Panther employee Ricky Leathers resigns with Washington for three more years.

Free Agents:

Unrestricted
CB Kerry Victor
LB Adam Springer
CB Scottie McCarthy
S Cornell Sampson

Restricted
WR Curtis Milloy
G Louis Stephens
T Nicky Thomas
DT Rob Parrish
LB Kenneth Davison
RB Cornelius Snyder

I slap the franchise tag on LB Adam Springer and will not go after my two starting CBs, Kerry Victor and Scottie McCarthy. I am going to start all over at that position. Cornell Sampson is demanding a trade, so he won't be back. I might try to nail on or two quality free agent and then concetrate on the draft.

I trade LB Derick Shelton, C Darryl Holmes, two 2nd round picks and a 3rd round pick to the Gold Rush for their 11th overall pick this season.

I throw out a couple of offers to free agents Warren Kirk(LB) and Alex Shepard(CB). Kirk takes a slightly larger contract with Washington and CB Kerry Victor signs with the Corks right away. Good riddance. I land Shepard in week 3, however, to a 28.50 mil contract for the next four years.

I ink LB Adam Springer to a three year deal worth about 15 mil.

Draft Results
WR Geoff Paradis, Notre Dame (48/82)
CB Richard Ahrens, Alabama (58/61)
S Nolan Houston, Middle Tenn St. (62/63)
C Riddick Musso, Pittsburgh (29/52)
DT Wendell Andres, Virginia (21/21)
G Cornell Dishman, Miami(OH) (20/67)
T Pete Leathers, San Diego (5/32)

I landed a top WR and CB with my first two picks and the safety can play some ball, too. Of course, if I get through the draft without a bust, this is one of the better rookies classes I have had in awhile.

Old 11-24-2000, 11:04 PM   #43
FishFan
College Prospect

Projected 2019 Starting Lineups:

QB Claude Clary
RB Korey Molina
FB Kendall Chandler
TE Mo Isbell
WR Tito McLean
WR Geoff Paradis
LT Brant Koplitz
LG Wally Reichard
C Willie Foley
RG Norbert Akamine
RT Johnnie Bryant

K Jesse Sexton
P Jake Graveson
KR Cornell Sampson

DE Brended Prescott
DT Deion Glenn
DT John Fisk
DE Vincent Drexler
LB Adam Springer
LB Matt Forbes
LB Harold Sell
CB Richard Ahrens
CB Alex Shepard
FS Nolan Houston
SS Sedrick Oquendo

Three rookies start on defense this season to try to improve on last season's performance. Harold Sell will start at OLB, Richard Aherns at cornerback, and Nolan Houston at strong safety. Newcomers Alex Shepard will start at the other cornerback.

On offense, another rookie, Geoff Paradis, wil start at split end, but share time with WR Carlos Starks.

Should be an interesting season....
Old 11-25-2000, 12:21 AM   #44
FishFan
College Prospect

2019 Regular Season Results

Week 1 at New Orleans(L10-41, 0-1)
Week 2 at Austin(L15-40, 0-2)
Week 3 vs New Orleans(L22-40, 0-3)
Week 5 vs St. Louis(W33-2, 1-3)
Week 6 vs Buffalo(W34-17, 2-3)
Week 7 at Dallas(L28-31, 2-4)
Week 8 vs Champaign(W33-9, 3-4)
Week 9 at San Francisco(W23-13, 4-4)
Week 10 at St. Louis(W34-9, 5-4)
Week 11 at Detroit(L9-24, 5-5)
Week 12 vs Atlanta(W46-24, 6-5)
Week 13 vs San Francisco(W27-24, 7-5)
Week 14 vs Austin(W21-13, 8-5)
Week 15 at Iowa City(L3-13, 8-6)
Week 16 at Atlanta(W21-13, 9-6)
Week 17 vs New York Jets(W19-14, 10-6)
Wild Card at New Orleans(L7-16, 10-7)

Well, the defense takes a step backwards, giving up 40+ points in the first two games. I don't know what to do anymore. My scout and coach both are rated highly in the defensive areas, but it doesn't matter what type of players I have, they can not get the job done. Thie is getting ridiculous. After another 40 point performance by the defense, the Panthers follow up the bye week with a 33-3 win against the usually tough Rams(2-2). Something must have happened during the bye week.

The team goes on a little roll, winning four out of five to improve to 4-4 and still alive this year. But, we just can't seem to get over the .500 hump. We split the next two to remain even at 5-5. The offense explodes for 46 points - our biggest output in quite sometime - and we improve to 6-5. Another win and we are suddenly in 2nd place in the division. My rookies are starting to learn the NFL and we have a shot at the playoffs.

We take a step backwards in week 15 with a 13-3 loss to 5-8 Iowa City. The loss drops us to 8-6. However, the team responds with a 21-13 win over Atlanta the following week. A huge win - it takes us to 9-6 and a win will secure a playoff spot. With a 19-14 win over the Jets, the Panthers return to the playoffs and will visit the Saints to open the postseason.

Carolina, with revenge on their minds, start the Wild Card game off on the right foot. The defense holds the Saints scoreless in the 1st quarter and the PAnthers strike first on a Korey Molina 19 yd run early in the 2nd quarter. The Saints responds late in the 2nd quarter with a Harvey Goldsmith 44 yd punt return. The teams head to the lockerrooms all knotted up at seven.

Topy Fisher engineers a long, sustained drive on the Saints' first possession of the 2nd half. The drive culminates in a 2 yd TD pass from Fisher to Jesse Graziani. They miss the extra point and lead 13-7. Early in the 4th, the Saints add a FG to push the lead to nine at 16-7. The Panthers threaten late in the 4th quarter, put Clary gets picked off in the endzone, killing our chances. We lose 16-7, but the defense looks much improved since the beginning of the season when the Saints beat us 41-10 and 40-22 on two different occassions.

In a battle of Florida, Tampa Bay scorches Miami, 33-3, to claim Super Bowl XX. Buccaneer RB Andy Lanning carried the ball 27 times for 137 yards and a score to claim MVP honors.

Key 2019 Season Stats
QB Claude Clary 275-486-17-3088 17TDs
RB Korey Molina 311-1591 13 TDs
WR Carlos Starks 63-867 4 TDs
WR Geoff Paradis 54-772 8 TDs
WR Tito McLean 59-607 4 TDs
K Jesse Sexton 31-37 FG 52 Lng
P Jake Graveson 43.1 Avg 18 In20
DE Brenden Prescott 39 T 9.5 Sacks 5 Hurr
DE Vincent Drexler 8.5 Sacks 3 Blk 7 Hurr
DT Deion Glenn 33 T 18 A 7.5 5 Hurr
LB Adam Springer 59 T 25 A 7.0 Sacks 5 Dfns
LB Matt Forbes 84 T 29 A 5.0 Sacks 5 Dfns
CB Richard Ahrens 5 INTs
S Sedrick Oquendo 56 T 1 INT 9 Dfns
S Nolan Houston 59 T 25 A 3 INTs 4 Dfns
T Brant Koplitz 34 KRB 35.7 BPct 3 SkA
T Johnnie Bryant 27 KRB 42.1 BPct 3 SkA

Awards

NFL MVP: Andy Lanning, TB
OFF POY: Andy Lanning, TB
DEF POY: Mitch Fisher, STL
OFF ROY: Raymond Powell, MIA
DEF ROY: Kurt Fulcher, MIN

T Brant Koplitz All-Pro 1st Team
RB Korey Molina All-Pro 2nd Team

A couple of things...

K MArtin Gramatica retired before this season. He was the last of the remaining original NFL players. I now have a career with all fictional players on all teams. K Jesse Sexton's 31 FG sent his career total to 527 which is the career record(28 more than Gramatica's 499).
Old 11-25-2000, 01:05 AM   #45
FishFan
College Prospect

First there was Tim Biakabutuka. Biakabutkua handed the reins to Colin Neufeldt who subsequently handed them to Korey Molina, but not before putting together seven straight 1000 yard rushing seasons. Colin Neufeldt retired following the 2019 campaign, his 11th season in the league. Neufeldt ran for 11895 yards on 2664 carries over the course of his career. He hit paydirt 102 times. He was an All-Pro 2nd Team selection in 2012 when he rushed for 1571 yards and 15 TDs, both career highs for him. He finished his career 7th on the alltime list for carries, 6th in yards, and 5th in rushing TDs. All of these numbers are franchise records, eclipsing Biakabutuka's great statistics. Although, he did not start the last two seasons, he will be greatly missed by this organization.

No news to report from the scout/coach period - here are my free agents:

Unrestricted
K Jesse Sexton
P Jake Graveson
C Willie Foley
T Johnnie Bryant
QB Claude Clary
FB Kendall Chandler
TE Mo Isbell
G Mario Garrett
LB Reuben Farr
S Cornell Sampson
DE Matt Doyle
DT Tito Sellers
S Sedrick Oquendo

Restricted
QB Marlon Watson
CB Lawrence Winslett
TE Vince Tatum

I put the tag on Clary, despite the fact that his numbers have declined every year since his 2nd season. I will also try to retain Foley, Bryant, Oquendo, Sexton, and Graveson. I am going to spend my 40 mil real quick this offseason.

I begin by offering the following contracts:

C Willie Foley 15.25 - 3 years
T Van Downs 16.28 - 3 years
K Jesse Sexton 2.52 - 2 years
S Sedrick Oquendo 23.75 - 4 years

I decided to go after Downs instead of Bryant as it will save me about 2 mil if I can land him. He is a capable run blocker and my other tackle, Brant Koplitz, is a stud. I would like to see the 41 year old Jesse Sexton finish out his career in Carolina and I feel Sedrick Oquendo is a must for my defense.

Oquendo signs right away - I breahe a sigh of relief. Foley, Downs, and Sexton wait for other offers. Philadelphia offers Bryant a 4 year, 38.5 mil contract which I can not compete with. In week 2, I also offer two time Defensive Player of the Year, LB Mitch Fisher, a four year contract. I would gladly ship one or two of my current LBs away to make room for this horse. In week 4, Downs signs with Dallas and Foley accepts my deal. Since I lost the Downs sweepstakes, I offer T Oliver Burks a 20 mil, 3 year deal as a consolation.

I lose three current players in week 6. P Jake Graveson signs with Indianapolis, TE Mo Isbell signs with Philadelphia, and T Johnnie Bryant inks with Washington. I nail down Sexton and Burks in week 7, but Fisher signs a three year deal with Iowa City. FB Kendall Chandler signs with Washington and S Cornell Sampson signs with Austin in week 9.
I lose Matt Doyle to Tennessee in week 11.

Following the FA period, I talk Claude Clary into a 4 year, 29.5 mil contract and ink TE Vince Tatum for three more seasons.