Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: How mamy hours a week do you spend watching tv?
0 hours 2 2.56%
1-4 hours 15 19.23%
4-10 hours 19 24.36%
10-20 hours 22 28.21%
20 or more hours 20 25.64%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-04-2011, 03:43 PM   #1
spleen1015
Coordinator

How many hours a week do you spend watching tv?

This is something I started wondering about today.

How many hours a week do you spend watching tv? That means any kind of tv, cable, netflix, movies, dvd, bluray, laser disc, etc.

Poll on the way

spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 03:45 PM   #2
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

I thought that said POLI on the way at first.

Last edited by CrimsonFox : 11-04-2011 at 03:45 PM.
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 03:49 PM   #3
digamma
Torchbearer

3+ for football and maybe an hour each night after the kiddo is in bed.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 03:57 PM   #4
Autumn
Head Coach

I almost voted zero, a 0-1 category would probably match me better. Most weeks it's zero, but I think once you factored in movies and some shows on Netflix, it would probably average out to 1 a week overall.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 04:18 PM   #6
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

You just haven't found the right channel Autumn!
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 04:21 PM   #7
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
3+ for football and maybe an hour each night after the kiddo is in bed.

Pretty similar for us. During football season I add 6-9 hours a week between college and NFL games. Outside NFL season I watch less on the weekends.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 04:24 PM   #8
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Quite a bit, mostly sports these days, less in the summer when none of my sports are really on. Plus quite a bit of netflix, etc which I mostly watch on my second monitor while I'm playing FM or OOTP.

This time of the the year is by far the highest - weekends with 2-3 English Premier League games, 1-2 NFL games, 1-2 college games, plus maybe a hockey game or two during the week.

Last edited by Peregrine : 11-04-2011 at 04:26 PM.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 04:45 PM   #9
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Lately in particular I've been watching a lot less. I have a few shows I like, but I'm doing a lot more reading over the last month or two.

If I'm looking for noise while doing stuff, it's more often now podcasts than anything else, unless it's something I can do while listening to a book.

I'm finding it means I have no idea what movies are coming out and rarely am up on pop culture.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 04:45 PM   #10
Autumn
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
You just haven't found the right channel Autumn!

All my channels here are snow! Or they were, until they went digital, now they're just blank.
Old 11-04-2011, 05:52 PM   #11
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

4-10 due to Netflix, but there are weeks were it's easily 1-4 if not 0.
Old 11-04-2011, 10:43 PM   #12
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

How do you guys not qualify that your tv time is replaced by internet or video games? I watch a lot of tv also so its not a big deal but this forum is definitely above the national average for hours spent online a day.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 12:47 AM   #13
korme
Go Reds

wow Buccaneer is poor
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 12:55 AM   #14
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Watching? Less than 5 virtually every week of the year outside of bowl weeks.
This week so far, 1 hour Walking Dead & about an hour of Netflix with my son. Maybe 30 minutes combined bits & pieces of whatever my wife was watching when I happened to be in the same room with her & it was on.

How many hours is the TV on while I'm close enough to hear it but paying zero attention to it? A hell of a lot more than the above.
Old 11-05-2011, 12:59 AM   #15
korme
Go Reds

you don't let your son watch sports?
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 01:08 AM   #16
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
you don't let your son watch sports?

He didn't answer the poll question, I did

Let's see, if I tried to add his up, what would I get? Hmm ... probably 2-5 hours of Netflix reruns a week, another couple of hours with my wife on her various shows (he's amused by some of the reality junk), 2-3 hours of random Nick stuff (mostly reruns he's seen a hundred times), plus about 90 minutes of Walking Dead (cause he watches part of the re-run to warm up). That's put him around 10 hours a week, give or take.

Sports is a completely mixed bag with him, some weeks there's several CFB games a week, other weeks he's pretty well satisfied by regular updates from me & the online tickers & prefers to be gaming, usually multi-player in parties with his friends.

What's missing from his numbers is how much shit he watches on YouTube, which has cut sharply into his TV viewing in the past year. "Alchestbreach" and "TheTuninator" do gaming videos & stuff that he watches like episodic television. Tedious to me but he loves it. (Yeah, I had to ask him for the names just now).

edit to add: Something else that could throw my numbers off is that I was counting mine & his from Sunday through Saturday, so this week's football isn't included in there. Last weekend I watched GT-Clemson probably over a half, watched the end of Stanford-USC, watched nearly all of UGA-Florida. That might very well be the most CFB I've actually watched (rather than following pbp online) all year. My son on the other hand didn't watch any, he was on his first canoeing trip.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 11-05-2011 at 01:13 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 01:40 AM   #17
Izulde
Head Coach

Most weeks it's 0. Don't have cable and I haven't even been watching Netflix much. Occasionally I'll go on a spate of episode watching on NF or go to a bar to watch a game but that's about it.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 10:59 AM   #18
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Glad to see some company at 0. My son and Mrs. Bucc make up for it.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 12:31 PM   #19
bhlloy
Coordinator

Easily over 4 hours because of football and hockey, I wonder how many of the people voting 1-4 are the ones trying to force their opinion on us in every single sports thread out there
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 12:35 PM   #20
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Easily over 4 hours because of football and hockey, I wonder how many of the people voting 1-4 are the ones trying to force their opinion on us in every single sports thread out there

You do realize there is teh internets for sports coverage?
Old 11-05-2011, 12:41 PM   #21
bhlloy
Coordinator

100% tongue in cheek statement
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 12:53 PM   #22
Autumn
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
Most weeks it's 0. Don't have cable and I haven't even been watching Netflix much. Occasionally I'll go on a spate of episode watching on NF or go to a bar to watch a game but that's about it.

Then I want to know why, why, why, were we subjected to this in the Random thoughts thread?

Quote:
Amsale Girls is so much better than Say Yes to the Dress. Ralph is an annoying twit. The Amsale Girls are fun.
Old 11-05-2011, 03:49 PM   #23
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post

I have to admit I voted 1-4 hours, but that isn't correct if you add in soccer matches (which I don't think of as 'normal television' myself - probably 3-6 hours per week) and also honorable mentions for 'TV shows' which are watched on my iTouch in the gym which would be another 3-4 hours a week ...

These days what is 'television' is probably debatable ...
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 03:58 PM   #24
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
Then I want to know why, why, why, were we subjected to this in the Random thoughts thread?

I was at my parents' house this summer and they have cable and all that.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 04:32 PM   #25
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
I was at my parents' house this summer and they have cable and all that.

You have to add in that the remote was lost, and that if you got up you'd be eaten by a pack of wild dogs, also that you were forced to have an opinion and post it at gunpoint, and even then I think I still have questions about that fateful post!
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 04:49 PM   #26
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Probably over 20 but that is relatively misleading as many cases it's just a matter of the TV being on. It also depends upon what time of year.

Actively watching would be (currently):

Pro Football - Probably about 8 hours a week between the Sudnay games, Sunday night and Monday night
College Football - Probably about 6 hours
Amazing Race - 1 hour
Survivor - 1 hour
Criminal Minds - 1 hour
Fact or Faked - 1 hour
Mythbusters - 1 hour
HIMYM & BBT - 1 hour
Flyers - 5 hours

That's 25 hours right there (with most being sports). The non-sports shows are DVR'd and watched when I get a chance so one week I may not watch those shows and then watch them on DVR the next.

Also, a lot of that football time is background TV (especially the college since I don't have a specific team).
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 04:51 PM   #27
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Sorry to burst the bubble folks but watching sports on the internet is still "watching TV".

Edit: That ties into a debate I had a little while back with someone at work. This person was being a prick about people who "waste time watching TV" and claiming that he never watches TV. Though later he entered into debates about a bunch of crap TV programs and he knew way too much about the shows for someone who doesn't watch TV (Dancing wit the Stars, one of the million cake/cupcake shows, desperate housewives, etc...). When someone pointed out that "I thought you don't wath TV" he said "I watch online". Um, watching online is still "wasted time" as he called the time spent watching TV. It doesn't matter if you spent an hour sitting on the couch watching a program on TV or an hour sitting on the couch watching a program on your laptop. It's the same thing.

Last edited by EagleFan : 11-05-2011 at 04:58 PM.
Old 11-05-2011, 05:11 PM   #28
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Except there are those that follow events online (as in reading) without watching anything. Following a game live via CBS's GameTracker (except lately when it's being slammed) is worth never having to see commercials. But I agree that watching a streaming coverage is the same thing.
Old 11-05-2011, 05:13 PM   #29
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Except there are those that follow events online (as in reading) without watching anything. Following a game live via CBS's GameTracker (except lately when it's being slammed) is worth never having to see commercials. But I agree that watching a streaming coverage is the same thing.

Ah, thought you meant that you watched it streaming online.
Old 11-05-2011, 05:17 PM   #30
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I think a good example for me is American Idol. My only exposure (apart from belated youtube highlights) is the AI thread here at FOFC. I get such good analyses and entertainment about what happened, far better than I could get watching the show or TV in general.
Old 11-05-2011, 06:47 PM   #31
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Except there are those that follow events online (as in reading) without watching anything.

Yep, that's me. Depending upon the game, I'm more of a ESPN guy for that than CBS.

Not related to the commercials in my guess, a combination of other things for me. My son having the TV down here tied up with the XBox or even moreso, the fact that following games on the ticker doesn't tax my nerves the way watching live the normal way usually does.
Old 11-06-2011, 12:45 PM   #32
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

It's only high for me because this si football season

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 04:01 PM   #33
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Sorry to burst the bubble folks but watching sports on the internet is still "watching TV"..

I think the reason I differentiate somewhat between different television and ways of watching is that some are more 'passive' than others - for instance a lot of people watch sports with friends, thus its more social than most television, similarly for me watching TV shows on my iTouch while at the gym is a way of passing time while I exercise rather than the 'passive' viewing where I'm doing nothing.

This isn't really better or worse than traditional sofa vegitation - but its different which is why I mentioned it (ie. how and why people view has changed hugely in the last ten years or so).
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote