Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-07-2011, 09:09 PM   #1
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Dog seizures (epilepsy)

We have 5 dogs, our American Eskimo has had maybe 4 seizures over the past 5 years and even though the vet couldn't figure out the cause, we believe it was something in cheaper dog foods - every time he's had one we noticed we switched dog foods. He's been fine since we switched back to the better dog food.

Our Golden Retriever has had 4 in the past month (two today) so I'm taking him to the vet as soon as they open tomorrow unless he has another one - I called the emergency vet.

It's not a easy thing to watch him go through one and they typicall last only about 1-2 minutes.

Anyone have a pet that has seizures? Most of the information I've found via google is pretty basic.

MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 09:13 PM   #2
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

My golden had a grand mal seizure when I was in like...3rd grade and my parents took her in in the middle of the night to have her put down and I never got to say goodbye to her.

Still broken-hearted about that.

I feel for you.

No practical experience or advice...but it just sucks.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 08-07-2011 at 09:15 PM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 09:16 PM   #3
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
My golden had a grand mal seizure when I was in like...3rd grade and my parents took her in in the middle of the night to have her put down and I never got to say goodbye to her.

Still broken-hearted about that.

I feel for you.

No practical experience or advice...but it just sucks.

OMG.. that's horrible.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:19 PM   #4
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

We had a golden who had seizures. They put him on phenobarb and they stopped after that until he basically was so old he had some from old age. I empathize with you, it isn't an easy thing to watch.

As for the food, my wife works for the company that makes IAMS, I'll see if she knows if they have ever done any studies.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 09:22 PM   #5
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
We had a golden who had seizures. They put him on phenobarb and they stopped after that until he basically was so old he had some from old age. I empathize with you, it isn't an easy thing to watch.

As for the food, my wife works for the company that makes IAMS, I'll see if she knows if they have ever done any studies.

Thank you.. someone told me to stay away from dog food with chicken by products, so I think I'm going to switch to a different brand such as IAMS.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:28 PM   #6
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Our last cat had seizures, but he was fifteen when he started. He lived another couple of years with semi-regular seizures. The vet said we could do a brain scan, but it wouldn't be worth it to have surgery at that age.

I don't have any advice, but I understand the shock of watching a pet go through that. Awful.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:30 PM   #7
RainMaker
General Manager

Had a beagle-Jack Russell mix that had seizures. Turned out to be encephalitis. The medicine helped stopped them but made him incredibly thirsty and a bit lethargic. At one point he had a intestinal problem and it caused him to puke up a lot of stuff and hard to keep down the medicine. This led to a grand mal seizure and when we got him to the emergency vet, just felt it was best to put him down. The last grand mal he had set him back a ways and it wasn't fair to put him through this again.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 10:07 PM   #8
Edward64
Head Coach

Our dalmation lived until she was 14-15 yrs. The last 2 years she slowed down quite a bit and started getting seizures. We believe it was due to her age, not diet.

The vet put her on some medication and that controlled the seizures but you could tell she was all drugged up, sleepy all the time, had difficulty going up a couple steps, difficulty going up a small hill etc.

We made the decision to take her off the medication. She had her final seizure about a week before Christmas. I was traveling so wife cleaned her up, took her to the vet and they put her to sleep.

In retrospect, we should have put her to sleep a year prior.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 10:18 PM   #9
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Our Golden is only 2+ years old.. the old dog food had something like BHQ or something that we definitely believe lead to our American Eskimo having seizures.

We are going to run by Petsmart tomorrow and get some all natural dog food just to see if that helps.

Very sad to read about having to put your dogs down though.. I'm getting a bit more worried.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:20 PM   #10
Izulde
Head Coach

My Bernese Mountain had seizures for a while, including one pretty bad one. We figured out it was because of the scented room spray my dad used after he smoked in the bathroom. Once we got rid of the spray, the seizures went away and he's still around.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 08:23 AM   #11
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
My Bernese Mountain had seizures for a while, including one pretty bad one. We figured out it was because of the scented room spray my dad used after he smoked in the bathroom. Once we got rid of the spray, the seizures went away and he's still around.

Wow, good thing you figured it out - kind of like the dog food thing.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:48 AM   #12
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:

I've beent his route as well.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:23 PM   #13
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Took him to the vet today and all his blood tests were fine. So far today, he's been fine.

We are going to Petsmart tomorrow to swtich him an all natural dog food just to see if that helps.

The doctor told us if he has another one to give him a call and putting him on phenobarbatol would probably be the next step.

I'm really stressed out now though wondering if/when another one might happen, it's a horrible feeling.

Last edited by MizzouRah : 08-08-2011 at 09:27 PM.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:38 PM   #14
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
I'm really stressed out now though wondering if/when another one might happen, it's a horrible feeling.

That's brutal, but say positive, he'll pick up on that - he's very happy and comfortable right now.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 09:47 PM   #15
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
That's brutal, but say positive, he'll pick up on that - he's very happy and comfortable right now.

Thank you.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:41 AM   #16
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:

Sorry to hear that, try to not to think too much about it, as anyway there is nothing you can do besides what you have done already visiting the vet.

Thread jacking a bit...this thread made me think a lot about what you can end considering part of your "normal" life after a long time with it and how different is to feel it for first time and to see/read other's reactions/comments.

In my case it's my wife who suffers epilepsy since 12 yeas ago. Since being diagnostic and under meds, she was totally fine and seizures free for 8 years, but since 4 years ago, she developed a resistance to the anti epileptics and has a seizure from 1 to 4 times per month.

You end getting used to it and adapting your way of life, and in fact you need to. After that time, you don't even feel your life is that different from the other people around you and that you can enjoy it and be happy too like everybody else just with some limitations.

Anyway sorry for the thread jack, i was just making a bit of use of the FOFC psychologic self therapy

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 12:28 PM   #17
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy View Post
Sorry to hear that, try to not to think too much about it, as anyway there is nothing you can do besides what you have done already visiting the vet.

Thread jacking a bit...this thread made me think a lot about what you can end considering part of your "normal" life after a long time with it and how different is to feel it for first time and to see/read other's reactions/comments.

In my case it's my wife who suffers epilepsy since 12 yeas ago. Since being diagnostic and under meds, she was totally fine and seizures free for 8 years, but since 4 years ago, she developed a resistance to the anti epileptics and has a seizure from 1 to 4 times per month.

You end getting used to it and adapting your way of life, and in fact you need to. After that time, you don't even feel your life is that different from the other people around you and that you can enjoy it and be happy too like everybody else just with some limitations.

Anyway sorry for the thread jack, i was just making a bit of use of the FOFC psychologic self therapy

Don't be sorry, I have a friend who's little boy has seizures and she is such a strong person.

Thanks for the email, it definitely puts it all in perspective hearing from someone who has a loved one with epilepsy.

The vet even mentioned there are many people that have epilepsy and you wouldn't even know it.

Take care Icy.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:39 PM   #18
Tim Tellean
High School JV

I hate to follow Icy and his family, but here we go.
We have a dog that is half American Eskimo, half beagle. He had seizures a few years ago. In fact 24 seizures in less than 12 hours, I was helpless, with no transportation and my wife and son 4 hours away. I comforted him while the seizures came every 5 minutes when my wife finally arrived home. Middle of the night visit to the vets and we were told that the seizures are part of his genetic makeup. He was put on phenolbarbatol whil emade him completely lethargic, utterly unable to move. We reduced the dose over 6 months (with vet supervision) until he was able to be free of the drug. No seizures since that bad day.
Now we deal with the Eskimo hip displacement genetic issue.
My advice is put the dog on the drug but watch closely and monitor behavior, attitude and feeding.
My dog was 4-5 years old at the time.
Tim Tellean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 02:48 PM   #19
Rizon
Pro Starter

Had a pom-sheltie mix that had seizures later life. I think she lived 4 or so years after the first one, up until the age of 17 1/2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 05:19 PM   #20
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Thanks Tim, I'm praying he has no more - but medication is defintely the next step.

He enjoys his new food - we also bought all natural treats for him and the vet even called and asked how he was doing today.

I have to leave him alone for a few hours tonight and I'm not too comfortable about it.

Rizon, did you have to put her on medication?
Old 08-09-2011, 05:24 PM   #21
Rizon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Thanks Tim, I'm praying he has no more - but medication is defintely the next step.

He enjoys his new food - we also bought all natural treats for him and the vet even called and asked how he was doing today.

I have to leave him alone for a few hours tonight and I'm not too comfortable about it.

Rizon, did you have to put her on medication?

It was actually my brother's dog that he gave to my parents, but I don't believe they did. It didn't happen very often.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:16 PM   #22
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizon View Post
It was actually my brother's dog that he gave to my parents, but I don't believe they did. It didn't happen very often.

Our American Eskimo has only had two and the last one was a long time ago, switching his food did the trick we believe.

Tomorrow Benny will be alone for at least 5-6 hours, that's the hardest part to deal with.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:23 PM   #23
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Lived with an old cat that started having seizures. Nasty things. She would spin and spin or just go mad with her limbs.
FOr about 30 seconds to a minute. Then would calm down and be all dilated.
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 08:40 AM   #24
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Almost 3 weeks without a seizure and he's already had two today

I guess his next step will be going on phenabarbatol.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:43 AM   #25
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Sorry to hear.
Old 08-21-2011, 11:39 AM   #26
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Thanks JPhillips.. why does this always have to happen on a Sunday?
Old 08-21-2011, 09:39 PM   #27
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

While I was waiting for my wife to get home, he had a total of 6 in a 13 hour span, so we took him to the Animal Hospital where we met the nicest staff of people and a doctor who calmed our nerves.

It's been almost 5 hours now and he's sleeping sound and has been given a dose of phenabarbatol. He will be on that from here on out until his body grows immune to the drug, which normally is about 3-5 years said the doctor. After that, he will go on something else, which I forgot the name.

She said it's not uncommon for dogs to have epilepsy, espeically golden retrievers and most of them can live a normal life - a medicated life.

This has been one stressful day and I'm finally relieved for now.

We can hopefully pick him up tomorrow evening.

Hug your animals everyone...
Old 08-21-2011, 09:43 PM   #28
Edward64
Head Coach

Best to your dog. Hang in there.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 09:56 PM   #29
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Best to your dog. Hang in there.

Thanks, really appreciate it.
Old 08-21-2011, 10:42 PM   #30
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I mentioned it earlier, but our Golden lived a long and happy life on phenobarb. Your guy should be just fine.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:09 AM   #31
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I mentioned it earlier, but our Golden lived a long and happy life on phenobarb. Your guy should be just fine.

Yes you did and I remembered that when they told us that's what they were going to do.

Did he ever get "immune" to the drug? How many seizures did he have while on the medicine?
Old 08-22-2011, 02:54 PM   #32
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

To my knowledge he never got immune to it and never had a seizure on it. They did have to up his dosage every few years which took a toll on his kidneys and when he got older they think he started having seizures, but that was just from old age and it being his time.
Old 08-23-2011, 02:20 PM   #33
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
To my knowledge he never got immune to it and never had a seizure on it. They did have to up his dosage every few years which took a toll on his kidneys and when he got older they think he started having seizures, but that was just from old age and it being his time.

That's encouraging that he lived to an old age.. right now he's wondering around and kind of "out of it" so to speak.

They said it would take maybe a week to get back to normal.
Old 11-05-2011, 12:06 AM   #34
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

He just had a seizure about 30 mins ago, the animal hospital said to keep an eye on him, but if he doesn't have anymore just to give the vet a call in the AM.