Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-31-2011, 06:57 PM   #1
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Slow Halloween?

Wow, this was insane. Wouldn't you know it that I went hog wild this year getting the candy for the kids this year. Made up 90 bags with a good amount of candy and have a large bag for when I ran out of the bags (usually have 120+ kids and have always run out).

Wouldn't you know it, I get over prepared and the number of kids that show up have cut down drastically. I still have about 30 bags left over and I have been giving the last several kids two bags each.

Anyone else have a drastic change in the number of kids that showed up?

EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 07:02 PM   #2
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Not even dark yet and there have been 20 (little) kids so far. Taking my son out soon. Perfect night in Colorado - clear and mild.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 07:12 PM   #3
rowech
Pro Starter

Hugely down. We usually go through one big bag and 1/3 into another. Didn't even get through the first bag this year. Usually we have probably 125 kids or so, we had 60-70 tops.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 07:12 PM   #4
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

I will send you an address as to where to send the extra leftovers.
CrimsonFox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 07:15 PM   #5
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Raining and about 40 degrees in Pittsburgh. We made it about 3 blocks, hitting about 30-40 houses I'm guessing. That was a little over and hour, and my 7 and 5 year olds said "ENOUGH!".

Mrs SR makes up bags like you EF. She had 60 ready. She finished with 20, and a handful more of the next batch of 20. That's it.

A lot of houses were giving us 3-4 pieces of candy since there was nobody out.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 07:21 PM   #6
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

No one came to my new house, EF. I can't believe I have so much candy left over.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 07:23 PM   #7
cuervo72
Head Coach

We had 140+.

(Made 170 bags, had 24 left - two went to our own kids and one little girl of a friend got two.)
Old 10-31-2011, 07:31 PM   #8
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I don't know if the concerted effort to run as many trick or treating events simultaneously may have dented the crowd a bit. I could be drastically overestimating the amount of people that would hop townships.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 07:36 PM   #9
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Of the 90 bags I had 29 left and that was after giving 2 to each of my daughters and about the last 10 kids each got two bags. Probably had about 50 kids. Way down from the normal 120. It was a great night for it too.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:36 PM   #10
corbes
College Benchwarmer

It's our second year living in a New England village. We had 70+ last year and only slightly more than 20 this year.

Last edited by corbes : 10-31-2011 at 07:36 PM.
corbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 07:41 PM   #11
ColtCrazy
College Starter

We take our kids out but I was actually shocked by the number of people we saw out. A secretary that used to work at our school now works at a local retirement home. She said we should stop by because they line everyone up in the hallways and pass candy out to the children. I bet there were 100 people there to get candy easily. The neighborhood we went to was probably 100-125 strong as well.

What was most shocking was the number of older kids too. We always have plenty of kids the same ages as ours (2-7), but there were a lot of older kids and even several teens dressed up. We live in an extremely poor county so it was neat to see the number of people out and the number passing out candy.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 07:49 PM   #12
molson
General Manager

Just my neighbors so far...but in Boise there's one particular street that is "destination trick or treat" - it's insanity down there.

But of some of you guys with 100+ kids visiting...sweet lord. How much does all that candy cost?
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 08:57 PM   #13
Buccaneer
Head Coach

My wife got two large barrels of something from Costco. Almost out. Easily several hundred at our house and 500+ in our subdivision.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 09:03 PM   #14
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

It was packed where we went, most of the houses had their lights off though.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 09:04 PM   #15
DanGarion
Coordinator

Not a single trick or treater knocked on my hotel door tonight!
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 10:29 PM   #16
DougW
High School Varsity

Was dead here . This was the first Halloween in our new subdivision, and I'm unimpressed . We had a ton of left over candy, and most of the neighborhood did not participate. My nephew (17) and I took my 4 year old out, and little Jake was all amped up. I would estimate 1/7 of houses were passing out candy . At one time, my son stopped my nephew and I and said "Daddy, this is about trick or treating - not just walking around talking". I felt bad.

I'm gonna ask around for next year, maybe there is something going on I missed the memo on (maybe some parking lot trunk style trick or treating). Most likely though, I'll just head back to our old sub.
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 11:03 PM   #17
tarcone
Coordinator

Slower then normal. We have a popular subdivsion but we live on the backside on a spur. I figure it being monday night was the problem.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 12:05 AM   #18
SackAttack
Head Coach

Saw lots of people out when I was driving to the auto parts place to get a blinker bulb, and when I went to Old Country Buffet, there were several families with young children in costume, but my apartment complex apparently doesn't allow ToTers, so I've not had folks at my door the last few years.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 12:29 AM   #19
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
But of some of you guys with 100+ kids visiting...sweet lord. How much does all that candy cost?

$100 (or more) at least a couple of times, probably capped out around $150.

It can get pretty crazy. Back in Monticello we cleared 300 one year, had several years over 200. Insane enough that we actually put a couple of teenagers we knew on the clock to help manage it all since one of us got stay-at-home duty while the other took our own kid to make the rounds.

I had it all down to a pretty good science after being woefully unprepared the first year there. Used the little bags to manage it all, took most of the day to get them ready. Each one contained:
2 pieces of "junk" (common peppermints, butterscotch, etc),
at least one sucker,
at least one bubble gum,
at least one "premium" chocolate (3 Musketeers, Snickers, etc),
at least one "premium" non-chocolate (Starburst, Lifesavers, Nerds, etc).

And then there were a few kids that we knew that got super-mondo-special bags that were just ridiculously packed, the mother lode of Halloween candy.

{shrug} It was a very poor town & that was easily the flushest I'd ever been in my life, good times.

Flash forward & we got zero doorbells this year and I'm relieved we anticipated as much and spent nothing. There's a grand total of one ToT-aged kid is the whole neighborhood while the subdivision across the highway is one of the main destinations for ToT'ers, we're not even an afterthought back here.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 11-01-2011 at 12:30 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 06:51 AM   #20
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Most of the towns around here postponed halloween until Thursday or Friday. My town decided to "leave it to parent's discretion" since over 80% of the town still has no power.

Since we were one of the first to get our power back (national grid restored power to 1000 or so people in my part of town), we got swamped with kids last night for trick or treating. Thanks to the town not taking any official stance on when people should trick or treat, I am fully expecting to get kids every night this week, including many enterprising teens that come multiple nights

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 06:53 AM   #21
Butter
Coordinator

It was slow, so my kids reaped the rewards. They said the last several houses they hit were giving them handfuls of candy.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:25 AM   #22
Klinglerware
College Starter

Apparently, my town postponed trick-or-treating to Saturday, but not everyone (including me) got the memo. We still got 20 or so trick-or-treaters, but I guess we will have to do this again this weekend.
Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 07:26 AM   #23
wade moore
lolzcat

Even with the rain, we still had about 150 kids. We setup at the end of the driveway, put our fire pit out there, had a tailgating tent, and just enjoyed ourselves.

We are a bit of a "destination" neighborhood around here though. About 125 houses in a new development, surrounded by more rural houses that aren't really setup well for trick-or-treating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:19 AM   #24
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Went over to my girlfriends neighborhood. She had around 70 trick or treaters and they were done at 830.

My kids scored though. Just walked 2 neighborhoods there and they filled close to a 1/4 of a pillowcase full and received a ton of full size candy bars..
Old 11-01-2011, 08:28 AM   #25
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

We went from about 50 kids the first year I lived here, to maybe 10 the second year, to absolutely zero the last two.

edit: Although we did get a free appetizer at dinner because we took the boy there in costume.

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 11-01-2011 at 10:20 AM.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:41 AM   #26
BYU 14
Coordinator

Done a lot earlier than usual this year, only had 1 group of older kids that came at like 8:05 and that was it, usually have trick or treaters coming until closer to 9. The other thing I noticed was more groups of kids than usual, had 1 group of 14 kids and another of 10, not as many solo kids this year.

One thing I was happy to see was that every single child/group with the exception of the very last one (which was all kids 14 or 15) had parents with them, which has not always been the case before.
BYU 14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 09:08 AM   #27
Rizon
Pro Starter

Had about 200 kids in our hood. They were shipping them in on minivans.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 10:23 AM   #28
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

We do however, have a wide variety of blackmail photos for when our son gets older.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:23 AM   #29
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

That is crazy...I've never actually handed out candy at my house, mainly since I take my daughter out every year, but I know it would come nowhere near the amounts you guys have.
PackerFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 10:31 AM   #30
JediKooter
Coordinator

Two years in a row with no trick or treaters. Two years in a row I get to treat myself to some delicious Kit Kat bars.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 10:55 AM   #31
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Way down here, too. I don't get it- the weather's pretty good. Anyone care to hazard a guess as to why it was way down? We had over 100 last year and only 48 this year.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 10:59 AM   #32
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
My wife got two large barrels of something from Costco. Almost out. Easily several hundred at our house and 500+ in our subdivision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

It can get pretty crazy. Back in Monticello we cleared 300 one year, had several years over 200. Insane enough that we actually put a couple of teenagers we knew on the clock to help manage it all since one of us got stay-at-home duty while the other took our own kid to make the rounds.

I had it all down to a pretty good science after being woefully unprepared the first year there. Used the little bags to manage it all, took most of the day to get them ready. Each one contained:
at least one sucker,
at least one bubble gum,

And then there were a few kids that we knew that got super-mondo-special bags that were just ridiculously packed, the mother lode of Halloween candy.

{shrug} It was a very poor town & that was easily the flushest I'd ever been in my life, good times.

Flash forward & we got zero doorbells this year and I'm relieved we anticipated as much and spent nothing. There's a grand total of one ToT-aged kid is the whole neighborhood while the subdivision across the highway is one of the main destinations for ToT'ers, we're not even an afterthought back here.

WOW! That's crazy. I'm a heartless monster, I guess. I got 5 or 6 standard bags (so, under $20 with coupons). I held out the bowl and told them to pick their favorite and, for the most part, the kids did that. Granted, it was all what would fit into JiMGA's category of "premium"- I don't bother with lower end stuff because, well, if there are leftovers, then I have to eat it so I get what I want (some was standard like Twix, Milky Way, Butterfinger, etc but some of it was oddball stuff- love the new 3 Musketeers dark with mint, for instance, had Crunch crisp). But I only did 1 piece per kid until we were getting towards the end of the night.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:09 AM   #33
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

(Glen's Wife posting)

It was a Monday. Crowds are always down when Halloween falls on a weekday. Even Sunday is better because there is more time to get the kids into costume, travel, etc. (At our kids' schools they are not allowed to wear costumes to school).
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:09 AM   #34
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
We do however, have a wide variety of blackmail photos for when our son gets older.

I see the family resemblance.
Passacaglia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:57 AM   #35
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

at least one sucker,
at least one bubble gum,

I used to grab a half dozen bags of candy (reese's, kitkat, m&m's, etc...) and give out a couple to each kid (would change it up depending on how busy).

This year I decided that I would do it up right and went overboard. Made up 90 bags with a good mix (bought 2 large bags of mixed sugary items; nerds, sweettarts, smarties, etc... and then bags of m&m's, reese's, kitkats, hershey bars, cookies n cream hershey bars, nestle crunch, twix, thee musketeers, milkyway, snickers and mounds: Each bag had a couple different chocolate items and several of the sugary items). Had left over candy that didnt get into the bags which would be used for after the bags ran out. It never crossed my mind that I wouldn't run out of the bags. I think around 120 was the smallest number that we have had in this development. I never expected only around 50.

Of course this happens the one time I go hog wild with the spending for it. Asked if we could send it to school with the girls and we were told no (that's a topic for another thread ).
Old 11-01-2011, 12:35 PM   #36
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I basically live on a peninsula of 6 houses, and none of the people have kids other than us. You can't get to our houses from walking from any other settlement of a reasonable distance, so I will never ever have trick or treaters.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 12:52 PM   #37
Rizon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 02:38 PM   #38
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
I see the family resemblance.

But it's a dragon head, not a penguin hat! Oh those crazy genetics.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:11 PM   #39
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

In our subdivision, if we had 25 kids it was a lot. We took our daughter out for the first time and took her outside of our subdivision and I was shocked. Had to be at least 300 kids in the area we went.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 10:50 PM   #40
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

We live in an older, pretty well greyed-out neighborhood, so we usually don't get a huge amount of children coming by, but still usually get anywhere between 1-2 dozen each year. This year, we just had one group of trick-or-treaters come by and that was it. I had actually scaled back on candy buying because I felt like we were overbuying before. Still couldn't give it away. Of course, maybe it was because it was 50 degrees and raining the whole evening had something to do with it.....

Even so, I got the task of trying to figure out how to get my kids out for the evening with the crappy weather, so we initially went over to the nearby mall where they were supposed to be handing out candy at many of the stores. The place was a zoo. The candy giveaway was scheduled for 6-8 PM, but my wife mentioned when I got back that the candy was mostly gone by 6:45 (we got there at 6, got out about 6:45--what a coincidence). On the way back I deliberated about what to do (our neighborhood, being older, doesn't have the best street lighting and there are no sidewalks, not exactly conducive to walking around in a rainstorm). I ultimately settled on finding a couple of cul-de-sacs in a nearby neighborhood and hitting all the houses around each circle so we wouldn't be far from the car. Worked out pretty well when combined with whatever candy they got from the mall.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote