Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-04-2011, 03:27 AM   #1
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding
College Starter

Mount Rushmore of Current Sportswriters

1. Stewart Mandel--Does an excellent job analyzing college football for si.com
2. Joe Posnaski--Also writes for si.com Really thoughtful columns on sports. I don't always agree with him, but I always see where he is coming from.
3. Chuck Klosterman--I know most people don't like him and he doesn't write about sports a ton, but he is now on grantland and wrote an excellent piece on a particular high school basketball game.
4. Jim Margulus--This is somewhat of a homer pick because he is a white sox blogger. The only thing I can say to defend the pick is that the main Bulls blogger is average at best and I don't know of any good Chicago Bears bloggers. As bad as the White Sox are now, I always look forward to his take the day after the game.

LastWhiteSoxFanStanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 06:22 AM   #2
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastWhiteSoxFanStanding View Post
1. Stewart Mandel--Does an excellent job analyzing college football for si.com
2. Joe Posnaski--Also writes for si.com Really thoughtful columns on sports. I don't always agree with him, but I always see where he is coming from.
3. Chuck Klosterman--I know most people don't like him and he doesn't write about sports a ton, but he is now on grantland and wrote an excellent piece on a particular high school basketball game.
4. Jim Margulus--This is somewhat of a homer pick because he is a white sox blogger. The only thing I can say to defend the pick is that the main Bulls blogger is average at best and I don't know of any good Chicago Bears bloggers. As bad as the White Sox are now, I always look forward to his take the day after the game.

I think this is alomst impossible to answer anymore because there are so few "sportswriters". Most have become some sort of hybrid between talking head, blog writing, etc.

There are only two guys that I read everything for. Posnanski and Verduci. I'll put Simmons on there as well. No clue on a fourth.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 07:21 AM   #3
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
I think this is alomst impossible to answer anymore because there are so few "sportswriters". Most have become some sort of hybrid between talking head, blog writing, etc.

Fully agree. There are no Joe Falls, Dick Youngs or Maury Allens around anymore, for example. Without being on ESPN it is hard to get a following. Good prose is not a top ten requirement for a talking head.
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
OldGiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 12:06 PM   #4
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Joe Posnaski
Joe Posnaski
Joe Posnaski
Wright Thompson

That's about it.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 12:14 PM   #5
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I don't know that there's a current number worthy of Rushmore ... but Doug Glanville tops my list even with his limited output & scope.
Old 08-04-2011, 12:15 PM   #6
Rizon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I don't know that there's a current number worthy of Rushmore ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 05:06 PM   #7
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I really only read Bruce Feldman for college football but now that the mothership has "suspended him" I need to find a new one.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 06:58 PM   #8
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Joe Posnanski should be on most lists and tops of a majority. When you get beyond that... I dunno

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 07:48 PM   #9
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Joe Posnanski should be on most lists and tops of a majority. When you get beyond that... I dunno

SI

This. He's the only guy who could write about a sport I couldn't care less about and I'll still read it because it's him.

I would also add Gregg Easterbrook. Those 2....that's it. I'll read others, not no one else are must reads but them. I print out Easterbrook's every week and enjoy it like a short story.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 11:38 PM   #10
BYU 14
Coordinator

I agree with Jon

Grantland Rice
Damon Runyon
Ring Lardner
Red Smith
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote