Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-07-2003, 01:33 AM   #1
MikeVic
Head Coach

Question Keyshawn and Madden

I'm just wondering.. I think it's been since Madden 2000 that Keyshawn Johnson was a 98 or 99 overall... and he hasn't changed at all since then.

Is it just me, or is he not really a good WR? I don't see him making nice catches, getting a lot of yards, getting any TDs... NOTHING. So why does he keep on getting rated so high in the Madden games?

I'm really curious if there is something that I'm not seeing.

MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 05:37 AM   #2
Vince
Pro Starter

Eh, every once in a while, Keyshawn makes a great catch. Keyshawn's a good wide receiver who gets reamed for every mistake he makes because he's got a big mouth.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 07:05 AM   #3
Samdari
Roster Filler

You are exactly right Vince. Keyshawn is a good reciever. There are approximately 30 good WRs in the league, and maybe 15-20 who are better than good. Keyshawn is not "very good", "excellent" or "elite." I would assume the 98/99 ratings are reserved for elite players.
Old 10-07-2003, 09:28 AM   #4
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Although I partied with Keyshawn at USC, I completely agree. This guy is way overrated in the last few years of Madden. He is a very good possession receiver, but he is not one of the top 5 or even top 10 receivers in the NFL right now in my opinion. Therefore, he should have a lower rating in Madden.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 09:57 AM   #5
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

He has excellent hands, but that is about it. I think he is overrated because of his mouth. Did you hear him on the side-lines last night? He made some comment after Harrison made a catch, like, "He is considered the best receiver in the league with catches like that?" Well Keyshawn, if you would have stayed in the game long enough, you would have seen why he is considered the best.

Seems that Keyshawn is just another one of those players that has built up this mystique and yet, check out his numbers vs. Marvin:

Harrison

Keyshawn

From a stats point of view, there is no doubt whom the better player is. Now, Keyshawn does have a Championship ring, but so does every other Tampa player from last year, and not every one of them was a factor in that.

[edited to add the links]

Last edited by Bonegavel : 10-07-2003 at 09:58 AM.
Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 10:52 AM   #6
condors
College Starter

keyshawn can run good routes and has good hands, lacks speed and has a big mouth i he is an 84-86 guy in madden
condors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 02:10 PM   #7
Havok
College Starter

Anyone hear Keyshawn running his mouth last night about Marvin in the first half??? I bet he feels like a dum ass now.

I don't know what it is about WR's in the NFL these days. alot of the good ones run they're mouth all the time. Randy Moss, TO, Keyshawn.... I guess thats why i like Marvin so much. He goes out there and plays the game and doesn't bitch like these other guys.
Old 10-07-2003, 03:33 PM   #8
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally posted by Havok
Anyone hear Keyshawn running his mouth last night about Marvin in the first half??? I bet he feels like a dum ass now.
I think one thing we can be sure of is that Meshawn would get a 99 "self-assurance" rating were that a category. I feel secure in the knowledge that he woke up this morning knowing he was better than Marvin Harrison.
Old 10-07-2003, 03:59 PM   #9
The_herd
College Starter

Keyshawn is not the best receiver or even a top 5 receiver in football. You have to take him for what he is, a very good possession receiver. Anyone remember those? The guys who actually catch the ball with their hands away from their body. There aren't many of them anymore, the very underrated Kevin Johnson, Randy Moss (although he is by no means a possession receiver), Rice, Tim Brown. Those are guys that actually know how to catch a football properly. I'm sure there are a few more, but those guys come to mind right now. I'm not a TB fan or a Keyshawn fan, but I do respect him as a player. He has great hands, runs good routes, is more than willing to block, and plays hard on every play.

Although I don't think Keyshawn is a better receiver than Marvin Harrison by any means, he's the best receiver in football right now and noone can argue it, I don't think its incredibly fair to compare numbers. Marvin Harrison has had the pleasure of having Peyton Manning throwing him touchdowns, Keyshawn has played for the Jets and the Bucs, enough said there.
Old 10-07-2003, 04:11 PM   #10
TroyF
Coordinator

Herd,

First off, it could be argued Marvin isn't the best WR in football. Certainly top 3, but there can be cases for both Moss and Owens in that discussion as well.

Second, I've seen Keyshon drop far too many balls the past couple of years to consider his hands great anymore. They are when HE wants them to be, but he's had plenty of BIG drops. He had a huge one in the Carolina game. Tampa Bay scored a TD on the final drive anyway, but Keyshon dropped a sure TD pass without a defender around him.

Keyshon never had great speed to begin with and he's lost a step. There were many who felt Harrison was the best WR drafted that year and it has proven to be the case. While Keyshon may not have had Manning throwing him the football, he hasn't exactly had horrible ones throwing him the ball either. Brad Johnson had a pretty good year last year. Keyshon also had a good year, but nowhere near Harrison like.

Another thing about Key is that he's one hell of a blocker from the WR position. He'll even go inside and take out a LB if called on to do so.

Still, that's good, not great. Samdari said it perfectly above.

TroyF
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 04:51 PM   #11
The_herd
College Starter

Brad Johnson is the only QB Keyshawn has ever had throwing him the ball that is even above average. I'm not arguing that he's a great receiver, I said he's a very good receiver when you consider everything he brings to the field.

I'm as big a Moss fan as there is but I would say Harrison is a better receiver in terms of route running and effort. He's a move the chains receiver that also happens to be a deep threat. Neither one of them ever really drop a ball and although Moss has better speed his route running leaves a lot to be desired and he doesn't show up to play every game, let alone every down. As for Owens, I know this is my personal opinion and a some people will disagree, I think he's a great receiver, but I still put him a little below Moss and Harrison. He's going to be more of a detriment than an asset to any team he plays on.