Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-03-2003, 10:36 AM   #1
Passacaglia
Coordinator

FF: Anyone know anything about Portis?

I've heard he's going to play, but there's a big risk he can leave the game at any time. Should I even bother starting him? My other RB's are Eddie George, Stephen Davis, and Tory Hambrick, and I only need to start two, so I'm stacked if he won't finish. But if he will play, he's obviously my best option.

PLUS, I play lurker this weekend, so even though I am 4-0, this is probably my biggest match so far.

So does anyone have any info on whether it seems like he'll be able to actually finish a game?

Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2003, 10:40 AM   #2
Bee
Pro Starter

I wouldn't take the chance considering who else you have. I figure he'll play a little, but not a full game.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2003, 10:43 AM   #3
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

TroyF can probably give the best inside scoop, but I heard on sportsradio this morning that Portis practiced and was given a clean bill of health for Sunday's game.
Old 10-03-2003, 10:46 AM   #4
lurker
High School JV

Wow, you must be really scared. I'd advise you to just not worry who to start, cuz you're gonna get your ass kicked no matter what.
lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2003, 10:49 AM   #5
The_herd
College Starter

He is supposed to play, but he can get pulled at any time. He was quoted as saying its something that just isn't going completely away. So I would look for them to pull him out of the game if they get the opportunity. But at the same time, this is an incredibly important game for Denver, so he will most likely play most of the game and share some carries with Mike Anderson.
Old 10-03-2003, 10:49 AM   #6
cuervo72
Head Coach

lurker's going to give Passacaglia a spanking....
Old 10-03-2003, 10:53 AM   #7
The_herd
College Starter

ESPN's update:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1629249
Old 10-03-2003, 11:28 AM   #8
TroyF
Coordinator

Sit Portis at your own risk. He COULD get pulled at anytime if an injury were to come up.

Thing is, I bet he'd have played last week had it not been the Lions.

This is a tough call, because Portis has the ability to simply explode if he's healthy. I have a big week coming up in a couple of fantasy leagues as well. Portis will be my starter, if that tells you anything.

TroyF
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2003, 11:42 AM   #9
The_herd
College Starter

Not trying to threadjack, but I don't think this warrants another thread. Just want to see everyone's opinion on this one.

Manning vs. Tampa Bay
or
Hasselbeck vs. Green Bay
Old 10-03-2003, 11:45 AM   #10
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally posted by The_herd
Not trying to threadjack, but I don't think this warrants another thread. Just want to see everyone's opinion on this one.

Manning vs. Tampa Bay
or
Hasselbeck vs. Green Bay

Hasselback.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2003, 11:47 AM   #11
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by The_herd

Manning vs. Tampa Bay
or
Hasselbeck vs. Green Bay

Not even a contest. You can't trust your QB to have a big week against TB. If this question were Manning vs. Kyle Boller, the matchups don't matter. . . you win or lose with your star.

Hasselbeck is a great fantasy QB in his own right. It's gotta be him.

TroyF
Old 10-03-2003, 12:04 PM   #12
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by TroyF
I have a big week coming up in a couple of fantasy leagues as well. Portis will be my starter, if that tells you anything.

TroyF

The kiss of death...

Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2003, 12:22 PM   #13
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Thanks for the tips. I had pretty much planned to sit Portis, pretty much because my running backs are good enough to beat on lurker, anyway. However, if any of you guys knew something more than what was currently running the web sites, that would have been nice. But basically, this thread's main purpose was to bait lurker into talking more trash, so that it will be more humiliating for her on Monday night!

Don't worry about the threadjack, herd. I actually have a similar problem at QB. I have Hasselbeck, but my other choice is Brad Johnson. Even though the game is in Green Bay, I'm going to put my money on Holmgren and Hasselbeck trying to put up big numbers against their old team.
Old 10-03-2003, 12:36 PM   #14
lurker
High School JV

I thought the main purpose of this thread was for you to brag one last time about being 4-0. You've mentioned it often enough. And I didn't want to take that away from you, since I know how emasculating it'll be to have your girlfriend be the one to cause your first loss. You might as well feel good while you can...

ETA: And for someone who's so confident he'll win, you sure seem to have a lot of problems with your lineup. I haven't had to ask anyone for advice!

Last edited by lurker : 10-03-2003 at 12:38 PM.
Old 10-03-2003, 12:48 PM   #15
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Well, like I told you this morning, I've set my lineup on Tuesday, and haven't changed it since. Also, you heard me mention the thread's main purpose -- despite the advice I've been given here, I'm sitting Portis, and will still emerge victorious.
Old 10-03-2003, 03:55 PM   #16
The_herd
College Starter

Quote:
Not even a contest. You can't trust your QB to have a big week against TB. If this question were Manning vs. Kyle Boller, the matchups don't matter. . . you win or lose with your star.

Hasselbeck is a great fantasy QB in his own right. It's gotta be him.

TroyF

Exactly what I was thinking, was just curious what everyone's take was on this. The think that actually sealed this for me was the big game Mainning last week, it made my even more cautious on playing him. I think it put a bullseye on him going against a defense that always takes pride in shutting players down in situations like this.
The_herd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2003, 04:06 PM   #17
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
I'm stuck with Manning or Trent Green. I'm going with Peyton, but not expecting much.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2003, 04:03 PM   #18
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Sit Portis at your own risk. He COULD get pulled at anytime if an injury were to come up.

Thing is, I bet he'd have played last week had it not been the Lions.

This is a tough call, because Portis has the ability to simply explode if he's healthy. I have a big week coming up in a couple of fantasy leagues as well. Portis will be my starter, if that tells you anything.

TroyF

You were warned.

TroyF
Old 10-06-2003, 09:04 AM   #19
lurker
High School JV

He really should have listened to you, heh heh.
Old 10-06-2003, 10:09 AM   #20
Passacaglia
Coordinator

"Well, when you're right 53 percent of the time, that means you're wrong 47 percent of the time."

We still have to see how Harrison plays, but even so, my guess is that even if I played Portis, I still would have lost. It was an all around awful day for me, I did worse than everyone, and lurker's team did really well, probably the 2nd best of our 8 team league this week, and she did this with Peerless Price on her bench...

Well, I started out 4-0, but it's looking like our team flops when the big game comes. This isn't a good sign for the playoffs...
Old 10-07-2003, 08:52 AM   #21
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Wrong again. If I had started Portis instead of Eddie George, I would have won. Although, I hadn't really thought about which one I'd bench between Stephen Davis and Eddie George to fit Portis in. I probably would have benched George, since he's been so awful this year -- he was the 2nd RB I drafted, but so far he's 5th in performance, behind Portis, Davis, Hambrick, and A-Train.

Anyway, the OTHER mistake I made was not starting Brad Johnson. That would have made it so that I would have beat lurker, even if she had started Peerless Price. Ah, well.
Old 10-07-2003, 10:12 AM   #22
lurker
High School JV

The point is you lost. Get over it :P