Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-01-2009, 06:21 PM   #51
path12
Coordinator

Downloading Mount & Blade based on what I've seen here and in the past about it. Also picked up Peggle Deluxe, SEIV Gold and Space Traders. Nice prices.

path12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 07:55 PM   #52
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Played through the tutorial of the Mount & Blade game and found the whole thing quite fun, even though I had to go through the bit about attacking two or three times before getting it right. Started a character and then mounted my horse and rode around. Got a party of about 14 and encountered a group of 13 brigands who wanted our money. The heck we said and slaughtered them. There was something exhilarating about seeing my group of disparate nomads, all weapons in the air, victorious in such a tiny battle. I was sold right then.

After ordering WSM2009 a couple days ago, I added these today:
Mount & Blade
World of Goo (this thing is dang addictive!)
Luxor 2 (for 0.99, come on)
Peggle deluxe (another fun timewaster, for 4.99)

Still got almost a week before I go back to work, will get some playing time in there for sure.

FM
Old 01-01-2009, 08:11 PM   #53
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimyo View Post
Picked up the XCOM pack and WWSM. Thanks for the notice!

You had to let me know they had XCom.

Well, for $3.50, it's more than worth it.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 08:45 PM   #54
gstelmack
Pro Starter

From reading though those XCom versions have stability issues on Windows. If anyone finds that they run well on XP or Vista, let me know.
Old 01-01-2009, 08:56 PM   #55
cschex
High School Varsity

Mount and Blade sounds interesting. Does anyone know what the graphics reqs are? Specifically, will it run on laptop integrated chipsets?
cschex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 09:09 PM   #56
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
From reading though those XCom versions have stability issues on Windows. If anyone finds that they run well on XP or Vista, let me know.

I will keep you posted. I tried XCom on Game Tap and had issues. XCom is notoriously fickle. For $3.50, it's worth the gamble.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 09:11 PM   #57
Lonnie
High School Varsity

Did anyone pick up Hinterland? It sounds interesting, and I might pick it up along with Mount and Blade.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:12 PM   #58
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

well i took the plunge on wwsm09 and bioshock - couldn't pass up the good deals.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:55 PM   #59
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschex View Post
Mount and Blade sounds interesting. Does anyone know what the graphics reqs are? Specifically, will it run on laptop integrated chipsets?

there's a demo you can download through steam so you could try it...

FM
Old 01-01-2009, 10:53 PM   #60
cschex
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan View Post
there's a demo you can download through steam so you could try it...

FM

Sweet, I missed that. I'm dl'ing it now
cschex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 11:02 AM   #61
Daimyo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post

The first one has run fine for me on Vista 32bit. The sound occasionally gets flaky, but that's about it.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 12:18 PM   #62
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

WSM 2009
Brothers in Arms: Earned in Blood
Silent Hunter 3

Downloading now, should be a fun weekend.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 01:58 PM   #63
PilotMan
Head Coach

I picked up Mount & Blade. It might be a while before I get to it, but it seems to have some good playability, and worth the sale price.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 02:46 PM   #64
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

so, I buy Mass Effect, get it downloaded (finally), start playing, get about 10 minutes in until the first time the game tries to save...and it throws an error. I can't save the game at all. After a bit of digging, it turns out the game can't handle having your My Documents folder being anywhere other than your C drive (awesome job, programming team). I finally got it working (requiring me to sit through the first 10 minutes of the game 3 or 4 times in the process). Seriously, the game's been out for a year and this stupid bug is still around?

Meanwhile, I get all 8 gigs of UT3 downloaded (that took a couple of days). It won't work - it crashes every time I try to run it. I haven't been able to find any solution to this one (even though there are lots of folks running into this problem), so now I've resorted to reinstalling...which means redownloading the whole blooming thing again. Again, this game is a YEAR old - What. The. Fuck. People?

Anyway, Railroad Tycoon II has worked just fine, so I've been sticking with that.
Old 01-02-2009, 03:27 PM   #65
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Damn. Missed Mount and Blade when I took a nap for my cold, and now the sale's over. Wish they would have mentioned it ended during the day instead of leaving it at Jan. 2.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:26 PM   #66
PilotMan
Head Coach

I noticed on the news that for anyone who likes Peggle, that Peggle Extreme is free to download for Steam members. Peggle Extreme is what you get when you cross loveable owls, and unicorns with the Orange Box.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 08:43 PM   #67
gstelmack
Pro Starter

So twice now my machine has shut down (just instant power off) while playing Mount & Blade. This could be fun. Mind you, that's probably 10 hours of playing, and it saves a lot for me, but I'm not big on this whole "click something on the map and the whole machine goes dark" bit. Of course, that was 10 hours of playing over like 3 days, which shows how good the game itself is (for those considering it, it's Oblivion + large war parties + dynamic world - unified underlying storyline - system hog - magic).

Last edited by gstelmack : 01-02-2009 at 08:44 PM.
gstelmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 08:48 PM   #68
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Damn. Missed Mount and Blade when I took a nap.

you snooze you lose
Old 01-03-2009, 02:58 AM   #69
path12
Coordinator

I've been playing Peggle all night. Really fun.
Old 01-03-2009, 08:18 AM   #70
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

I got home at 5:30 last night and was ready to order a bunch of stuff.... and the sale is gone. Bummer.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 11:18 PM   #71
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan View Post
Big Fo answered GoldenEagle, I'll answer Big Fo, it is possible. To explain it to GE, the shortcut created by steam for my copy of WSM had this in the target field:
Code:
"C:\Program Files\Steam\Steam.exe" -applaunch 10560

I located the executable for WSM at C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\worldwide soccer manager 2009\wsm.exe and made a shortcut directly to that file and voilą, I'm running the game without having to run steam.

FM

Damnit. Evidently this doesn't work anymore. I'm trying to figure out how to get Runespell to keep running smoothly instead of bogging down after 15 minutes, and when I used this workaround, it loaded Steam right off.

The shortcuts they've been creating on new installs don't even use the old workaround that stripped out the overlay.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote