Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-06-2003, 03:51 PM   #1
TLK
Pro Starter

Don't Call It a Comeback----

Quote:
Needy Nuggets eye NBA wild-man Rodman

DENVER, United States (AFP) - Hard-partying Dennis Rodman, a member of five National Basketball Association championship teams, is being considered for a tryout by the Denver Nuggets at age 42.

Rodman last suited up in the NBA during a brief stint with Dallas in the 1999-2000 season. But the Nuggets are needy. They were 17-65 last season, matching Cleveland for the NBA's worst mark, and won an NBA-low 13 home games.

"We might bring him in for a day for a tryout," Nuggets general manager Kiki Vandeweghe told the Denver Post. "We're just looking around. We've kind of kicked the idea around a little bit."

Rodman is a legend in the NBA as well as Miami's South Beach, having mixed a flamboyant style with solid rebounding and a somewhat temperamental attitude.

Rodman ranks 18th on the NBA's all-time rebound list with 11,954. The two-time NBA Defensive Player of the Year led the league in rebounding for seven seasons in a row from 1992-1998.

After playing a toughman role for little money and glory on two title teams in Detroit, Rodman became a hair-dying, tatoo-covered, cross-dressing, body-pierced phenomenon during three championship years with the Chicago Bulls .

Off-court party life contributed to Rodman's ouster from the Los Angeles Lakers and Dallas and Vandeweghe said such matters are "definitely a concern."

But Nuggets assistant coach Adrian Dantley, who played with Rodman in Detroit 15 years ago, said Rodman can help the Nuggets.

"If he came in, he wouldn't be the star of the minutes," Dantley said. "You need that veteran guy. He's aging, but knowing Dennis, he's in shape. And he's a smart player."

As bad as things got for the Nuggets last season, any help is a plus. But there are limits to the downsides.

"If he comes in and plays like everyone knows he can play and he's in great shape, it can be a great thing," Nuggets forward Ryan Bowen said.

"What we don't need is if he comes in and brings the other stuff with him. If it comes to the point where a guy, not necessarily Rodman, comes in and disrupts what we're trying to do, I don't know if it would be a good thing."

The Nuggets' search for a big man also includes Serbian forward Ognjen Askrabic, 24, who had 15.3 pounds and 6.1 rebounds a game last year for FMP Zeleznik.

LINK

TLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 03:53 PM   #2
JeeberD
General Manager

...I've been here for years...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 04:01 PM   #3
Philliesfan980
Banned

Not being a real big NBA history guy, who's the oldest player to play in the modern ERA (1980+ on)... is it Moses Malone, or Parrish?

As for what Rodman could bring to the table.. I just don't see it. This is a team that is rebuilding, not contending. They might be doing this just to stir up some PR for attendance reasons, but other than that I just don't get it. Why would they want him clogging up a roster space that could be available for young talent?
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 04:09 PM   #4
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by Philliesfan980
Not being a real big NBA history guy, who's the oldest player to play in the modern ERA (1980+ on)... is it Moses Malone, or Parrish?

As for what Rodman could bring to the table.. I just don't see it. This is a team that is rebuilding, not contending. They might be doing this just to stir up some PR for attendance reasons, but other than that I just don't get it. Why would they want him clogging up a roster space that could be available for young talent?

Attendance is actually fairly good this year. Carmello and the couple of free agents has had a good impact on ticket sales. I can't see that being the reason for doing it.

One thing I could see is him helping Nene (formerly Nene Hilario) out quite a bit. The Nuggets really don't have an enforcer right now. The Kevin Willis type of guy who will come in and intimidate an opponent who's getting a little chippy. Maybe they want Rodmen for that role.

I, for one, hope it doesn't happen.

TroyF
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 04:11 PM   #5
Philliesfan980
Banned

TroyF;

I guess the question is this: If given the opportunity, if you could have a 42 year old Dennis Rodman, 100% guaranteed without problems (off the court), would you take him? IE. Does he still have the skills to compete, without all that other nonsense?
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 04:14 PM   #6
JeeberD
General Manager

...Rockin my peers and puttin suckas in fear...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 04:16 PM   #7
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by Philliesfan980
TroyF;

I guess the question is this: If given the opportunity, if you could have a 42 year old Dennis Rodman, 100% guaranteed without problems (off the court), would you take him? IE. Does he still have the skills to compete, without all that other nonsense?

A Rodman with ZERO off the court problems? I take him in a second.

People don't realize how smart of a player Dennis was. I remember watching him sit off to the side in warm up and stare at the basket. He was looking to see how the ball bounced off the rim and where they ended up.

He also knew game situations inside and out. If you can get him without the baggage, he'd be perfect to have around in practice for the year. He wouldn't get a lot of minutes on the court, but you wouldn't ask him for that either.

The problem is, with Dennis you get everything he has. That includes the baggage. I'd just as soon not have to deal with it.

TroyF
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 08:20 PM   #8
Leonidas
College Benchwarmer

I guess Rodman is broke again and needs another paycheck. Seems he may be finding the profession of simply being Dennis Rodman doesn't pay quite as well as the NBA.