Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-05-2011, 04:29 PM   #1
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

USB Wireless Adapters for Desktop Computer: what do I need to know?

Looking into these, and the price range seems awfully wide for an item that, as far as I know, does only one thing. What do I need to know? I just want to have a wireless internet receiver on a desktop machine.

Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 04:40 PM   #2
stevew
Hall Of Famer

from personal experience, trying several different ones, I would strongly suggest going for an inner PCI wireless card. The Motorola one I had got way too hot and stopped working. The Linksys one I had sucked too. I had some other brand I picked up in the 30ish range and it also malfunctioned.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 07:20 PM   #3
Thomkal
Head Coach

Hey Ben, I have this one from Amazon.

Amazon.com: Medialink - Wireless N USB Adapter - 802.11n - 150Mbps - 2.4ghz - Windows 2000 / XP / Vista 64-Bit /128-Bit Windows 7 Compatible: Electronics

Highly recommended on Amazon and I have not had any problems since very early on when I had to reinstall it when it stopped working for some reason-but that hasn't happened since the first few days i had it, I'm assuming an update to it that I got soon after installing helped there.

You want a 802.11n adapter unless you have a very old router-you don't have to match the adapter brand to the router brand. I know little about them past this, and don't know about anything new that's come out since I got this one, but I'm very happy with this one.

Last edited by Thomkal : 07-06-2011 at 06:41 AM.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote