Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-06-2003, 03:08 PM   #1
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Question on FOF4

So, I've been playing TCY a lot recently, and the whole issue with the decision-making the computer coach makes on 4th down anywhere from the opponent's 42-27 or so is driving me nuts - it won't ever punt inside at least the 41, and it wont kick a field goal for sure unless it's inside at least the 27. Regardless of how many yards to go there are, it will go for it on 4th down.

My question is, has this logic been cleaned up in FOF4? Will the computer actually try to play field position and attempt coffin-corner punts?

dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 03:51 PM   #2
Leonidas
College Benchwarmer

Maybe it's the new patch, but I have not had this problem. Matter of fact, I am seeing the opposite. I'm getting sick of opponents booming out 58 yard FGs on me all the time. Anywhere from the 40-in seems to be FG time to me from the PC. My problem is I have to take the game over from the computer coach to make my own calls. Ball at the 40 with a 7 point lead in the 4th and my own computer coach wants to kick a FG unless I take over and tell it to punt.
Old 10-06-2003, 05:11 PM   #3
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Hmmm, that was the problem with TCY before enough people complained, and with one of the early patches Jim changed things around to how they operate currently.

I'm puzzled by this - I'm not sure why this logic seems to be so hard for Jim to nail down. Seems to me that unless you're in unusual circumstances, from 35 yards in you should attempt the FG. From the 40 on back, you should punt. Between the 35-40, you should consider going for it, though depending on how many yards are needed you may want to try punting. Put in modifiers based on the game situation - if it's the end of the 1st half and you're within 40, try the FG. If it's the end of the game and you need 3 or less points to tie or win, try the FG.

If your kicker doesn't have much range, consider going for it from closer in, but still look at the distance to go and perhaps punt if it's the 35-40.

Seems like punting isn't a strong point of Jim's code - net averages are way too low in TCY, and they also don't seem real good at directional punting when inside the 50.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote