GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Dan Snyder, Atlanta Thrasher, Dead at 25

This breaks my heart.

GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2003, 10:29 PM   #2
GrantDawg

PS. deleted the other thread because of a misunderstanding.
Old 10-05-2003, 10:30 PM   #3
Philliesfan980
Banned

(Don't know what happened to the previous replies but...).

This is terrible. I thought his condition was improving..I guess he took a turn for the worst.
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2003, 10:31 PM   #4
JeeberD
General Manager

Very, very sad news...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2003, 10:31 PM   #5
FBPro
College Starter

OMG how sad.......thoughts and prayers go out to his family and loved ones.
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2003, 10:51 PM   #6
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Imagine how Dany Heatley feels now. Probably like s**t. I wonder if civil charges will be filed against Heatley by Synder's family.
tucker rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2003, 11:00 PM   #7
MikeVic
Head Coach

Wow.. this really sucks... if I were Heatley... I don't know man. I'd be so distraught....
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2003, 11:05 PM   #8
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Wow.

This is a terrible day in hockey. This whole affair has been one bad day for hockey.

We have lost one human being, one strong young man.

Now I am wondering what happens to Heatley. As much as I feel he should pay for his mistake, I fear we may lose another young man in this one.

CR

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2003, 11:45 PM   #9
JeffNights
College Prospect

Local police have already said the charges pending against Heatley will be upgraded, more like vehicular homicide in the frist degree it what they were quoted as saying.
JeffNights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 05:20 AM   #10
Philliesfan980
Banned

What does that mean? That he'll see jail time out of this?
Old 10-06-2003, 06:31 AM   #11
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Phillies -- Realistically, it means there's a higher chance he could see jail time. A lot of it will depend, as is usually the case, on which judge the case happens to draw and how the prosecutor decides to handle it.
Old 10-06-2003, 06:57 AM   #12
cincyreds
High School Varsity

Very sad indeed....the NHL is getting the wrong kind of publicity here. Right on the week when the season is suppose to open on Wednesday night.

Heatley should see jail time....
Old 10-06-2003, 07:19 AM   #13
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

some terrible news to start the day with.
Old 10-06-2003, 08:01 AM   #14
Philliesfan980
Banned

Once again, this is the worst news that I've heard in a fairly clean sport. I know that I should do the research myself, but didn't Heatley say that Alchol wasn't involved? If he's correct, I think that they are going to have a hard time for putting him away for going 15 miles over the speedlimit. (He was going 80 right? I'll assume that it was on an interstate highway).
Old 10-06-2003, 08:06 AM   #15
jetpunk2000
Waterboy Forever

Quote:
Once again, this is the worst news that I've heard in a fairly clean sport. I know that I should do the research myself, but didn't Heatley say that Alchol wasn't involved? If he's correct, I think that they are going to have a hard time for putting him away for going 15 miles over the speedlimit. (He was going 80 right? I'll assume that it was on an interstate highway).

There was another post about this somewhere and a couple of people commented that this was a residential road with a speed limit of 30 or 35 and that it was so curvy that even going the limit was dangerous.
jetpunk2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 08:11 AM   #16
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally posted by jetpunk2000
There was another post about this somewhere and a couple of people commented that this was a residential road with a speed limit of 30 or 35 and that it was so curvy that even going the limit was dangerous.
It happened on Lenox Road, which is part residential, part commercial. I'm not 100% certain of where on Lenox Road, but there's nowhere on Lenox Road with a speed limit of over 45mph. Based on the picture I saw and everything I've heard, it happened in the residential section of Lenox Road, most of which is a 2-lane road with a 30-35mph speed limit, and yes, that section is both curvy and hilly.
Old 10-06-2003, 09:30 AM   #17
Philliesfan980
Banned

Ok, if thats the case then this guy should be thrown in jail. What an idiot. Not to make light of the situation at all, but if he was drunk at least then he'd have a "cop out". Not being drunk and getting into that kind of STUPID accident is totally irresponsible. What a piece of trash.
Old 10-06-2003, 10:07 AM   #18
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally posted by Philliesfan980
Ok, if thats the case then this guy should be thrown in jail. What an idiot. Not to make light of the situation at all, but if he was drunk at least then he'd have a "cop out". Not being drunk and getting into that kind of STUPID accident is totally irresponsible. What a piece of trash.

Wait a second. I think that's a rather harsh indictment of Heatley. (Also, not that it matters much, but I think it'd be much more irresponsible to have been drunk while doin this. Much more so.) The kid is what 19? 20? He was the rookie of the year in the NHL. The MVP of the All-Star game. Arguably the best young player in the game today. He has all of this going for him and a Ferrari. Was it stupid? Yes. Incredibly so. Irresponsible? Yes. Incredibly so. But, put yourself in his shoes. I can't imagine too many of us wouldn't be tempted. Hell, I used to do the same sort of thing all the time in highschool, zipping around windy, hilly streets at night. (Granted, I had an Omni that couldn't have gone 80 MPH). I'm sure almost anyone whose had a sports car (not me) has driven way over the speed limit along a stretch of road where it probably wasn't a good idea at some point or another. It's one of the joys of owning a sports car.

Poor kid made a really big, bad mistake. I don't think he should go to jail. I really don't. I don't think he's a piece of trash either.
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 10:32 AM   #19
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Heatley made a very, very, VERY stupid mistake that cost him a friend.

Now, I don't know for certain, but Heatley always struck me as a ery upbeat player, and a very good teammate. I think jailtime won't phase him after what he's enduring now. I think he's career will be over, jail or not. This is something that'll haunt him the rest of the life, and when you're (again, my belief on him) an emotional kid like that, this accident, so blatanly your fault, is going to scar him more then anything in jail could.

But back to the topic at hand, my thoughts are with the Snyder family, and the Heatley family too boot.

This is a sad day for the NHL.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 10:37 AM   #20
jetpunk2000
Waterboy Forever

Quote:
Wait a second. I think that's a rather harsh indictment of Heatley. (Also, not that it matters much, but I think it'd be much more irresponsible to have been drunk while doin this. Much more so.) The kid is what 19? 20? He was the rookie of the year in the NHL. The MVP of the All-Star game. Arguably the best young player in the game today. He has all of this going for him and a Ferrari. Was it stupid? Yes. Incredibly so. Irresponsible? Yes. Incredibly so. But, put yourself in his shoes. I can't imagine too many of us wouldn't be tempted. Hell, I used to do the same sort of thing all the time in highschool, zipping around windy, hilly streets at night. (Granted, I had an Omni that couldn't have gone 80 MPH). I'm sure almost anyone whose had a sports car (not me) has driven way over the speed limit along a stretch of road where it probably wasn't a good idea at some point or another. It's one of the joys of owning a sports car.

So wait, owning a sports car gives somebody the right to go 45-50 mph over the posted speed? And how does this kid being MVP of the All-Star game play into this? Should he get special treatment? He took a life because he was extremely irresponsible. And just because he's 22, does that mean he doesn't know any better? Sorry to sound angry, but I'm sick of everyone making excuses when some idiot kid (and I'm only 26, so don't chalk this up to some old man hating the younger generation) does something like this. I mean this is a case where a moron would know better than to go 80 on this road, according to many people who live in the area.
jetpunk2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 10:38 AM   #21
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Honolulu_Blue

Poor kid made a really big, bad mistake. I don't think he should go to jail. I really don't. I don't think he's a piece of trash either.

Sure, many people would be tempted to do this, that doesn't mean that it is right, or that he shouldn't be punished for what happened. It almost sounds like you are trying to make excuses for his behavior. Is he the worst person in the world? Probably not. But when people do stupid and careless things they have to be prepared to face the music when they screw up. And when your careless, unnecessary actions result in someone dying, well, you better be prepared to pay a hefty price.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 10:47 AM   #22
DeToxRox
Head Coach

See, I agree with HB on this.

This kid has been nothing but positive in the time he's been in the spotlight, never (to our knowledge) made bad decesions. I think in this case, his guilt will, as i said, forever outweigh any punishment.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 10:48 AM   #23
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Terrific people have made bad decisions that have cost people their lives, their money, etc. Heatley is no different. Aside from the emotional issues he has to deal with, it appears that he's also going to have to come back from a pretty bad knee injury as well, one that might keep him off of the ice this year anyway.

It will be interesting to see how this story develops. David Wesley has been able to make it back to the NBA after the Phills tragedy. Even though Heatley was even more directly involved Snyder's death than Wesley was in Phills' death, it's still possible for him to make a complete recovery and be a productive player.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 10:51 AM   #24
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Poor kid made a really big, bad mistake. I don't think he should go to jail. I really don't.
Interesting. I'm not jumping on anyone here, but it seemed like a large majority of folks thought that Luca should charged and sent to jail for the death of Hannah, but several are saying this guy shouldn't. I wonder what is at work here. Is it because we know the story that this feels more "real" than the story that I shared? Is Heatley getting more grace because he's famous? I'm really not trying to start an argument, I'm just curious what y'all think is at work here?
Old 10-06-2003, 10:55 AM   #25
GrantDawg

I don't think anyone is saying he shouldn't be punished or what he did was right. It is those calling him a "piece of trash" that seem to be judge this kid way to harshly. We've already had this arguement in another thread. It is not that he didn't do anything wrong, that he should get a "free pass" or anything of that nature. It is just this is more the level of "stupid mistake" than sheer evil.

He should be punish, but he is going to be punished for the rest of his life whatever the courts may do to him. He has lost a good friend by his own mistake. He has most likely lost the ability to reach the pontential in the sport he loves. He is going to have this hanging over his head for the rest of his life. I feel sad for the Snyder family, but I feel bad for Heatley too. From everything I've heard and read of this kid, he is a good kid. Unfortunately, he did a very bad thing that is going to cost him dearly.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 10-06-2003 at 11:05 AM.
Old 10-06-2003, 11:00 AM   #26
Ksyrup

I was thinking of that exact story, SD. I believe both are equally culpable and should receive some sort of punishment. Not sure whether, in either case, it should be real jail time or not.

I definitely think Heatley is getting the benefit of the doubt here. Not so much because he's an athlete, per se, but because he had started to realize his promise as a great hockey player, and it's natural to want to see that come to fruition. Of course, none of us knows Luca, and so there isn't that personal attachment. We "know" Heatley at least through his accomplishments.

It's a very similar sensation when dealing with famous people who die young. Who's to say Jim Morrision or Kurt Cobain would have done anything with the rest of their lives? It's the fact that we'll never know that idealizes them in our minds.

Heatley was on his way to perhaps a big career. It's natural to want to see that happen, and to clear any obstacles which might prevent it from happening. It's much easier to condemn someone whose worth to society or our lives (even something as inconsequential as entertainment) isn't obvious.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 10-06-2003, 11:03 AM   #27
cuervo72
Head Coach

Well put Ksyrup, well put.
Old 10-06-2003, 11:03 AM   #28
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally posted by SkyDog
Interesting. I'm not jumping on anyone here, but it seemed like a large majority of folks thought that Luca should charged and sent to jail for the death of Hannah, but several are saying this guy shouldn't. I wonder what is at work here. Is it because we know the story that this feels more "real" than the story that I shared? Is Heatley getting more grace because he's famous? I'm really not trying to start an argument, I'm just curious what y'all think is at work here?

Actually, looking back at the thread I'm seeing the same number of people saying the same thing. I don't see anybody asking for tough sentencing in one saying to "lighten up" in the other.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 10-06-2003 at 11:04 AM.
Old 10-06-2003, 11:05 AM   #29
heybrad
Norm!!!

I'd be willing to wager just about everything I own to bet that Snyder was doing nothing to convince Heatley to stop what he was doing and was probably cool with it. Keep that in mind while you're trashing Heatley.
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 11:11 AM   #30
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally posted by heybrad
I'd be willing to wager just about everything I own to bet that Snyder was doing nothing to convince Heatley to stop what he was doing and was probably cool with it. Keep that in mind while you're trashing Heatley.

True. And I have a feeling that's why it appears as if Snyder's parents aren't necessarily holding this against Heatley. It very well could have been the other way around.

Of course, once one of my brethren gets involved, those feelings will likely change.
Old 10-06-2003, 11:17 AM   #31
Franklinnoble
Banned

And here I was hoping the Washington Redskins might have another shot at getting a decent owner...
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 11:33 AM   #32
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally posted by jetpunk2000
So wait, owning a sports car gives somebody the right to go 45-50 mph over the posted speed? And how does this kid being MVP of the All-Star game play into this? Should he get special treatment? He took a life because he was extremely irresponsible. And just because he's 22, does that mean he doesn't know any better? Sorry to sound angry, but I'm sick of everyone making excuses when some idiot kid (and I'm only 26, so don't chalk this up to some old man hating the younger generation) does something like this. I mean this is a case where a moron would know better than to go 80 on this road, according to many people who live in the area.

I am not saying that anyone with a sports car has a right to drive like an idiot. I'm not saying that because he was the all-star MVP he should get special treatment.

I just think before the kid's labeled as a "piece of trash" we should take a moment, put ourselves in his shoes, and realize that anyone of us could have made the same, horrible mistake. We have all likely committed similar "idiotic" actions, though likely (hopefully) without the same, dire consequences.
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 02:33 PM   #33
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
And just because he's 22, does that mean he doesn't know any better? Sorry to sound angry, but I'm sick of everyone making excuses when some idiot kid (and I'm only 26, so don't chalk this up to some old man hating the younger generation) does something like this. I mean this is a case where a moron would know better than to go 80 on this road, according to many people who live in the area.

Well said.
Old 10-06-2003, 02:58 PM   #34
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
anyone of us could have made the same, horrible mistake.

Sorry, but I've never driven 80 through a 35/40 zone. Ever. Driving 35/40 miles over the limit is outright dangerous. There is a reason speed limits are posted as they are. I didn't do it when I was 16 and I won't do it when I'm 60. In my line of work I get to read the police reports every Monday of speeders mowing down pedestrians or other such things. So forgive if I don't feel much sympathy for somebody who killed somebody else because of this.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 03:20 PM   #35
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by SkyDog

I can only speak for myself. In both cases I feel criminal charges should be filed. Civil charges are (obviously) entirely up to the families.

In our society it is clear that jail time serves as both rehabilitation for the convict as well as a warning to the rest of society. In these cases it's certainly debateable as to whether jail time will correct this behavior (dangerous driving) any more than losing a friend/loved one will. The drivers may have already learned their lessons, but I believe letting the drivers off the hook in these cases would be unfair to society as a whole.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 03:23 PM   #36
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
we should take a moment, put ourselves in his shoes, and realize that anyone of us could have made the same, horrible mistake.

I completely disagree. I don't think too many of us drive twice the speed limit in residential areas. Only those of us who already show incredibly poor judgement even run the risk of this situation happening.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 03:44 PM   #37
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Craig MacTavish also killed a person in a motor vehicle accident (and he was drunk to boot), spent a year in prison, and went on to have a very succesful career with the Edmonton Oilers. Obviously every person is different, but it's another example of how people can put personal tragedy behind them and go on eto lead succesful lives.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 03:58 PM   #38
GrantDawg

According to a recent AJC article, the average sentence on vehicular homecide, 1st degree is over 7 years. An AP article suggests that without a DUI charge, there is still a possibility of a plea to second degree which will most likely not include jail time.