Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-20-2003, 09:59 PM   #1
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Rashaun Woods

You know.. you'd think after the fifth touchdown.. they'd start double teaming him.. or rolling over a safety or something..

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=232632567

Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 05:32 PM   #2
JeeberD
General Manager

Maybe, just maybe, UTEP will have a chance against SMU...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 03:49 PM   #3
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Was I the only one that found Wood's record a little distasteful? He was put out there in the 2nd half with the expressed purpose of breaking the record, even though the game was already a blowout.

I remember when Corey Dillon was with Washington; in an early-season game against San Jose State Dillon ran wild, piling up 222 yards rushing in the 1st quarter to set an NCAA record. Since the Huskies had the game well in-hand already, Coach Lambright pulled Dillon and 2 backup RB's each gained 100+ yards rushing that day. Had the emphasis been on records, I have no doubt Dillon could've piled up 400 yards that day. Instead, Lambright opted for sportsmanship.

Last edited by dawgfan : 09-23-2003 at 06:11 PM.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 05:40 PM   #4
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

I've been on this guy's bandwagon for the past three years. If he played at Miami or Texas, he probably would have won the Heisman by now, but playing for OSU doesn't afford him the PR machine that Roy Williams enjoys.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 05:55 PM   #5
Huckleberry
College Starter

What in the world are you talking about? You used to be a reasonable poster.

Please list, in detail, all of the hype for Roy Williams that has emanated from Austin.

Now, compare and contrast with the hype that has emanated from Norman for Tommie "2 tackles on a good day" Harris.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 06:53 PM   #6
IMetTrentGreen
College Prospect

"Please list, in detail, all of the hype for Roy Williams that has emanated from Austin.

i have been saying that for awhile. exactly correct

woods is definately a big time player and easily the second best reciever in the conference, and top 5 nationally
IMetTrentGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 03:25 PM   #7
Airhog
Captain Obvious

tommie harris is a good player. But when you have the top defense and our surrounded by great players, isnt it just a bit harder to put up excellent stats? not to mentioned being double teamed.

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 02:09 PM   #8
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by dawgfan
Was I the only one that found Wood's record a little distasteful? He was put out there in the 2nd half with the expressed purpose of breaking the record, even though the game was already a blowout.

I remember when Corey Dillon was with Washington; in an early-season game against San Jose State Dillon ran wild, piling up 222 yards rushing in the 1st quarter to set an NCAA record. Since the Huskies had the game well in-hand already, Coach Lambright pulled Dillon and 2 backup RB's each gained 100+ yards rushing that day. Had the emphasis been on records, I have no doubt Dillon could've piled up 400 yards that day. Instead, Lambright opted for sportsmanship.

Records are made to be broken. The record isn't for "most TD's in a competitve game", the record is for most touchdowns in a game - period. Also, the last 2 scores were early in the 2nd half - so it's not like they were gunning for the record on the final play of the game.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 05:01 PM   #9
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by cthomer5000
Records are made to be broken. The record isn't for "most TD's in a competitve game", the record is for most touchdowns in a game - period. Also, the last 2 scores were early in the 2nd half - so it's not like they were gunning for the record on the final play of the game.

So good sportsmanship be damned if a record is within reach? The game was a rout before halftime. It just seems like piling on to me, but then again I may be clinging to a fading idea of what constitutes sportsmanship in this day and age.

Also, can you imagine the uproar if Woods had suffered a season-ending knee injury in the 2nd half when he was trying to set the record?
Old 10-01-2003, 08:13 AM   #10
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by dawgfan
So good sportsmanship be damned if a record is within reach? The game was a rout before halftime. It just seems like piling on to me, but then again I may be clinging to a fading idea of what constitutes sportsmanship in this day and age.

Also, can you imagine the uproar if Woods had suffered a season-ending knee injury in the 2nd half when he was trying to set the record?

Do you have specific knowledge of how the previous record was set? I highly doubt someone scored 6 touchdowns in a neck-and-neck game.

As I said, we were still talking 3rd quarter here, I don't think they were really piling on. The coach flat out told him he would give him "2 posessions" to try to break the record. I think you would have a legitimate beef If they were scoring these final TD's in the 4th quarter.

In you opinion, should OSU have started kneeling on it as soon as the 3rd quarter started?
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 12:28 PM   #11
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

You don't take a knee to start the 3rd quarter, but you do run the ball unless it's 3rd and long, and you do play your 2nd, 3rd and 4th stringers with that kind of lead.

Taking gratuitous throws to Woods in the end zone seems awfully cheap to me and a slap in the face if I'm the opposing coach. I don't care how the previous guy got the record, but is it so hard to believe that it wasn't set in a more meaningful way? There have been a lot of offensive shootouts in college football.

Anyway, how the previous record was set is irrelevant to whether it was good sportsmanship on Oklahoma State's part to get Woods the record.
Old 10-01-2003, 12:38 PM   #12
scooper
College Benchwarmer

I've played and coached in as well as watched some games where nearly insurmountable leads were either overcome or nearly overcome. In a lot of those cases, the winning team went away from their game plan way too early.

If a team is winning, the earlies they should a. change game plans and b. take out the starters is the beginning of the fourth quarter.

In the third, you stick with what got you there. I know that may sound classless when you are blowing a team out, but its also smart football. Sportsmanship comes into play in the fourth quarter.

As for gunning for the record, colleges don't have the luxury of a draft like the NFL. They can't force players to come there to play. And OSU, while a good program at a large university, is not considered one of the "elite" teams. Having a player holding a record like that can be good for the image of the program and especially recruiting. Keep in mind the programs they are recruiting against in that part of the country. They need all the advantages they can get.

I didn't watch the game, but if he got that record in the fourth quarter, boo. If it was in the third, congrats to him and the team.

edit to add: that many TD's against any D1 team is an accomplishment. If it weren't it would happen more often.

Last edited by scooper : 10-01-2003 at 12:41 PM.
scooper is offline   Reply With Quote