Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-27-2003, 08:10 PM   #1
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

My First Eastern Michigan Game

I went to my first EMU game today when Maryland cam to play. Just got back, I left early because we gave it up quickly in the middle of the second half.

A few thoughts. My seat was on the 48 yardline, six rows up from the front, aisle side. Great seats, you could see everything very well. I purchased the seat on the phone Friday afternoon for $12. That's good price for a college game, from what I hear. Especially for a good seat.

I caught a foam EMU Football, and an EMU T-shirt. Cheerleaders threw them after every EMU scores, and a lot more were thrown in the area I was seated, the expensive seats. Higher up seats were 10 or 8 dollars.

There was a beautiful double rainbow in the first quarter. It dominated the stadium and the inner ring was so briht and crisp. I thought I was looking at a painting.

Why would someone come to EMU to play football? Couldn't get a scholarship anywhere else? Bad grades, poor reputation, woeful skills got you down? Have no fear, the Eagles are here.

Fans have to learn that you yell loudly on defense to keep the other team from hearing. You don't yell on offense and screw up your own team, that's stupid.

Why are the students standing the entire game?

The students have to realize that their pathetic 1,500 voices cannot scare a rabbit, let alone have any effect on the outcome of a ball game.

I talked with a guy from East Carolina University in the stands sitting next to me. He was with ECU in the 90's as an assistant coach. He moved back to Detroit and has a son on the EMU football team. We talked about ECU-WVU football games that he was invilvec in coaching and I watched as a fan. His perspective on a famous game at Mountaineer Stadium when ECU choose to go for 2 after having scored a TD to bring the score to 9-10 with 30 seconds to go was a pretty interresting one. ECU failed to convert, and WVU barely escaped with a win, 10-9

Anyway, those are my thoughts from the game!

-Anxiety

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent

Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2003, 01:32 PM   #2
TLK
Pro Starter

I loved the EMU stadium..... too bad they have such a shity team.....
TLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2003, 08:10 PM   #3
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Yeah, Eastern has great facilities, both football and basketball; I've been to all of them, and I think the Convocation Center is the best b-ball facility in the MAC. Too bad the teams aren't better.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2003, 08:25 PM   #4
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Geez, I was thinking how bad the stadium was. I must've been spoiled at WVU.

-Anxiety

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 07:18 AM   #5
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Anxiety
Geez, I was thinking how bad the stadium was. I must've been spoiled at WVU.

-Anxiety

Heh, apparently you never saw the old one.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 12:23 PM   #6
bosshogg23
College Benchwarmer

I found EMU's stadium pretty decent. Games I saw there were good as well. Most were a few years back when Randy Moss was at Marshall and Charlie Batch at EMU. They had a great 38-35 game(or something similar) at Eastern.
bosshogg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 12:40 PM   #7
TLK
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by bosshogg23
I found EMU's stadium pretty decent. Games I saw there were good as well. Most were a few years back when Randy Moss was at Marshall and Charlie Batch at EMU. They had a great 38-35 game(or something similar) at Eastern.

Yeah, I remember that game. I think I also a good game against CMU. Then the following year, we were treated to Walt Church and that pretty much ended my EMU football days. One thing I didn't enjoy about that stadium was it's distance from the campus.... other than that, I enjoyed it......

Anxiety-
Have you seen the Convocation Center yet? I'll be interested to see what you think of it, because I thought it was a nice place to see a game. I remember I saw Michigan crush EMU a few years ago, but still a great building.....
TLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 01:37 PM   #8
Passacaglia
Coordinator

I've seen only on EMU game. I got the tickets for free, because my boss was some honcho over there -- he had this manila envelope just full of tickets, seemed like there were at least 100 in there, and this was on the day of the game. I had season tickets to Michigan that year (somehow, they let me get student tickets despite the fact that I was only taking one class), but I asked for tickets to that game because I thought I would have to work during the Michigan game. This was in 2001, and I forget who Michigan played now (maybe Illinois?), but I know that I did get to see most of the game, starting with the second quarter. Anyway, since we still had the EMU tickets, and the game didn't start until later, lurker and I decided to go see them, too.

Maybe it was because we just came from Michigan Stadium, but EMU's stadium reminded me a lot of my high school's. Okay, it was nicer than that, but it was pretty much just a field with some bleachers on one side of it. I'm not trying to dog on EMU, either. I mean, even if it was small, it looked nice, and I'm sure their other facilities around it were nice, too. Anyway, the game was against Division I-AA Indiana State, and Indiana State beat them. Pretty pathetic.

On the other hand, the small size and the small crowd had its advantages. We had specific seats, but we could pretty much go anywhere we wanted, and lounge about, putting out feet up and taking at least two seats each. Maybe this was because the opponent was Indiana State, but it was much more comfortable than the cramped Big House. Anyway, I was just excited to see two different college football games on the same day!
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote