Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-22-2003, 12:52 PM   #51
JeeberD
General Manager

Maybe we should get SD to merge all the NFL related threads into this one. Then it might resemble the single NHL thread that continues to stick around...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO

JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 12:56 PM   #52
cuervo72
Head Coach

And what are you guys posting there for still? It's NOT playoff season anymore!!!
Old 09-22-2003, 01:42 PM   #53
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally posted by Franklinnoble
1. Most people who live in the contiguous 48 United States and are avid readers of a board that exists for the sake of a computerized American football simulator look forward to football season a lot more than they look forward to the NHL playoffs.
2. The hockey thread that this “mimics” only reached its current degree of enormity because it was stickied for months. That doesn’t make it any better, or more relevant; it just makes it the beneficiary of selective board moderation.
3. If I want this to be my personal soap box for ranting about the Washington Redskins every week, and you don’t like it, don’t read it. Go back to your little hockey thread killer thread.

Well, allow me to retort:

1. I only live in Brussels. It's a temporary thing. I am red-blooded American just like you and the rest of the avid readers of this board who live in the contiguous 48 United States. I love football. I played football. I have listened to the crap-ass Detroit Football Lions' radio web-casts for the past three years. The worst thing is, however, that I've been forced to listen to the opposing team's play-by-play all of this time (some legal thing). I've been subjected to a 6-29 record while listening to homer-wahoo chortling and mocking my pain after each and every play.

2. The hockey thread was stickied for a few months, but I reckon the bulk of the posting happened post-stickiedness. To be honest, you have to look to bbor. He was one of the biggest thread-killer thread guys and he's a huge hockey fan. We just happened to luck out with the latter. (Note: The former was quite unfortunate and we at the "PH:MWTOTY" thread have strived to keep the thread interesting and relevant).

3. I hate the Redskins. I have hated them even before the Snyder Era. (It's much easier to hate them now though). This is mainly because my beforementioned beloved Lions have never, ever won in D.C. Ever. The one time the Lions ever made it to the NFC Championship game they were crushed, beaten and humilaited something like 41-10 in Washington. It was sad. The Lions win one play-off game in 40+ years and follow it up getting spanked like that. It's an old wound, but still fresh. That being said, I appreciate lovel fandom and soapboxness. Please! Post away! I will come back here every now and then and help this lil' fella along in quest for greatness.

I am both kind and benevolent.

Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 01:45 PM   #54
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally posted by JeeberD
Maybe we should get SD to merge all the NFL related threads into this one. Then it might resemble the single NHL thread that continues to stick around...

One stick is weak. You can snap it easily with your fingers. However, when you gather many sticks together. Strong they become.

I think I mixing and massarcing a few metaphors there, but you get the basic idea.
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 02:16 PM   #55
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Honolulu_Blue
Well, allow me to retort:

1. I only live in Brussels. It's a temporary thing. I am red-blooded American just like you and the rest of the avid readers of this board who live in the contiguous 48 United States. I love football. I played football. I have listened to the crap-ass Detroit Football Lions' radio web-casts for the past three years. The worst thing is, however, that I've been forced to listen to the opposing team's play-by-play all of this time (some legal thing). I've been subjected to a 6-29 record while listening to homer-wahoo chortling and mocking my pain after each and every play.

2. The hockey thread was stickied for a few months, but I reckon the bulk of the posting happened post-stickiedness. To be honest, you have to look to bbor. He was one of the biggest thread-killer thread guys and he's a huge hockey fan. We just happened to luck out with the latter. (Note: The former was quite unfortunate and we at the "PH:MWTOTY" thread have strived to keep the thread interesting and relevant).

3. I hate the Redskins. I have hated them even before the Snyder Era. (It's much easier to hate them now though). This is mainly because my beforementioned beloved Lions have never, ever won in D.C. Ever. The one time the Lions ever made it to the NFC Championship game they were crushed, beaten and humilaited something like 41-10 in Washington. It was sad. The Lions win one play-off game in 40+ years and follow it up getting spanked like that. It's an old wound, but still fresh. That being said, I appreciate lovel fandom and soapboxness. Please! Post away! I will come back here every now and then and help this lil' fella along in quest for greatness.

I am both kind and benevolent.

The Lions record in Washington is a bit of an anomaly, but I'll grant you that it would be terribly aggravating, as a Lions fan.

Oh, and I'm not much of a Snyder fan, either. I think he's defecated on too much tradition in Washington, but, hey, I'm never going to be able to bring myself to root for another team.

I sort of feel the same way about the Oakland Raiders. The Redskins don't really play them that often, but I'll never forget Super Bowl XVIII. Ever.

Thank you for your kind and benevolent retort - I've always felt that there's no reason why rivals can't be gentlemen.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 12:15 PM   #56
Franklinnoble
Banned

Four weeks into the season, and my beloved Redskins are a respectable 3-1. If it weren't for a rash of stupid penalties, they might be undefeated...

That said, they've won their three games by a total of 8 points. They're not dominating anybody, but at least they're winning the close ones, rather than losing them. I don't know how much longer they can squeak by like this. Here's their remaining schedule:

10/5 at Philadelphia 4:15 p.m.
10/12 Tampa Bay 1 p.m.
10/19 at Buffalo 1 p.m.
10/26 - BYE-
11/2 at Dallas 1 p.m.
11/9 Seattle 1 p.m.
11/16 at Carolina 1 p.m.
11/23 at Miami 8:30 p.m.
11/30 New Orleans 4:05 p.m.
12/7 at New York Giants 1 p.m.
12/14 Dallas 1 p.m.
12/21 at Chicago 1 p.m.
12/27 Philadelphia 8:30 p.m.

Brutal. They play at Philly next week, and it looks like the Eagles just suddenly remembered how to play like the team that went to the NFC title game last year. Then Spurrier's offense gets its biggest test ever at home against Tampa Bay, then it's off to Buffalo before the bye week. 2-1 over the next three weeks would make me very, very happy.

Returning from the bye week at Dallas is no picnic, and of the remaining teams on the schedule, at this point, only Chicago and maybe New Orleans look like pushovers.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote