Coordinator

The Cape

I'm gonna watch. Anyone else?

spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 09:51 PM   #2
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

No.

Most definitely not, looks beyond stupid. Not to mention I have been beaten over the head with those commercials for 2 months.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 09:51 PM   #3
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Didn't we learn from The Incredibles that superheroes shouldn't have capes?

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 09:53 PM   #4
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I'm sick of the commercials but I'll give it a shot.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 10:10 PM   #5
Izulde
Head Coach

I don't have TV access, but it looks stupid, so I wouldn't even if I did.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 10:14 PM   #6
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

I may watch, curious if it will live up to the hype or will be filled wth unintentionaly comedy due to sucking beyond belief (either way keeps me amused).
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 11:14 PM   #7
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I'll watch. Am dying for a good superhero type series, so will give it a try. Hopefully it will be pretty good. If not, then it is not like there is much else on to watch right now besides football and reruns.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 11:19 PM   #8
bhlloy
Coordinator

I posted this in the random thoughts thread... but isn't this basically a generic batman rip-off? It looks beyond stupid to me and it annoys me that they would even do something like this, but if they can get people to watch it more power to them.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 11:21 PM   #9
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I say it's canceled after 3 episodes.
Old 01-08-2011, 11:22 PM   #10
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

I just canceled cable. Not due to this piece of crap, but nonetheless the previews did nothing to change my mind.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 11:26 PM   #11
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I say it's canceled after 3 episodes.

Only if I like it. Any show that I can't get into stays on air for many seasons such as Medium and most of the reality show garbage out there.

Shows I like are instantly cancelled before the season ends.

Old 01-08-2011, 11:29 PM   #12
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!! View Post
I just canceled cable. Not due to this piece of crap, but nonetheless the previews did nothing to change my mind.

err, isn't this show in NBC?
Old 01-09-2011, 12:47 AM   #13
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
err, isn't this show in NBC?

Yes, but my apartment doesn't get any reception. I determined that the amount of tele I watch isn't worth $100/month.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 05:37 AM   #14
Thomkal
Head Coach

yeah I'll be watching it too, hoping against hope that it isn't as stupid as it looks from the previews.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:08 AM   #15
Raiders Army
Coordinator

We'll record and watch later this week. IGN gave it a 3/10 and said it sucked.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 10:31 AM   #16
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army View Post
We'll record and watch later this week. IGN gave it a 3/10 and said it sucked.

shocked I tell you, shocked!
Old 01-09-2011, 10:36 AM   #17
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
Only if I like it. Any show that I can't get into stays on air for many seasons such as Medium and most of the reality show garbage out there.

Shows I like are instantly cancelled before the season ends.

"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
OldGiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 06:51 PM   #18
TexasT
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!! View Post
Yes, but my apartment doesn't get any reception. I determined that the amount of tele I watch isn't worth $100/month.

U can watch it on the NBC internet site in a day or two.
TexasT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 07:02 PM   #19
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Only reason I know this show exists is that it's being marketed on the dasher boards in NHL 11

edit to add: Oh, and a note to the NBC marketing department: you might want to reconsider the creative on those video game ads, until someone referenced Batman in this thread, I assumed it was some sort of mystery / drama with a geographical location near a Cape.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 01-09-2011 at 07:04 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 05:47 AM   #20
Thomkal
Head Coach

watched the first hour and a small part of the second and finally had to turn it off. Just an embarassment that it got made really.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:04 AM   #21
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
watched the first hour and a small part of the second and finally had to turn it off. Just an embarassment that it got made really.

That is pretty concerning to me since I think traditionally you have liked alot of the same shows I have Thomkal

I haven't watched it yet, but have it on the DVR to watch today at some point when I get a chance.

Old 01-10-2011, 06:32 AM   #22
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
That is pretty concerning to me since I think traditionally you have liked alot of the same shows I have Thomkal

I haven't watched it yet, but have it on the DVR to watch today at some point when I get a chance.

Yeah sadly I think we are going to be on the same page again here Alan-just very cliche and cheesy with rip-offs of other superheroes-very little new or different and the main villain's henchmen were laughable. But yeah check it out anyway just in case we feel differently on this one.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:37 PM   #23
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

+1

But I didn't get to the second hour. At close to the hour point I had enough. Actually, I had enough at about the half hour point but hoped it wold turn around but it didn't.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 03:49 PM   #24
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Yeah sadly I think we are going to be on the same page again here Alan-just very cliche and cheesy with rip-offs of other superheroes-very little new or different and the main villain's henchmen were laughable. But yeah check it out anyway just in case we feel differently on this one.

I'm wondering wth anyone expected here? Its a TV show that is supposed to run like a comic book, episodic, jumpy, of course cliched and a bit campy.

Were you expecting "Dark Knight: The Series"?

Sometimes I think people expect way too much for nothing.

There is nothing original left. Why does anyone seem to still expect any? The show was ok, nothing to shout at the moon about, but I'm definitely interested in watching the next episode.

Or would you rather have another hour on monday nights of "SO you think you can shake that fat ass enough to be considered to have tried to dance?"
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 05:31 PM   #25
Ryan S
Quarterback

Not as good as I had hoped when I heard about the show last summer, but not as bad as I expected after some of the previews.

I don't know if I will keep watching, it will depend on how the next couple of episodes go.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 05:34 PM   #26
Ryan S
Quarterback

One thing that bugged me, why would someone who wants to fly under the radar be driving around in a $200k Mercedes supercar?
Old 01-10-2011, 05:37 PM   #27
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
"SO you think you can shake that fat ass enough to be considered to have tried to dance?"

If they answer trivia questions, there is a grumpy English judge and a rose ceremony at the end.. count me in.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 05:58 PM   #28
TexasT
Mascot

I thought it was okay. I expected an entertaining show and I thought it was.
TexasT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:04 PM   #29
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
I'm wondering wth anyone expected here? Its a TV show that is supposed to run like a comic book, episodic, jumpy, of course cliched and a bit campy.

Were you expecting "Dark Knight: The Series"?

Sometimes I think people expect way too much for nothing.

There is nothing original left. Why does anyone seem to still expect any? The show was ok, nothing to shout at the moon about, but I'm definitely interested in watching the next episode.

Or would you rather have another hour on monday nights of "SO you think you can shake that fat ass enough to be considered to have tried to dance?"

I expected better. I expected to be entertained. There have been some good superhero series out there-Birds of Prey, Mutant X, the first couple of seasons of Heroes. I've never been a big fan of Smallville but its lasted 10 seasons. Cape will be fortunate if it lasts the rest of its initial order (cue Jon with the ratings from last night to prove me wrong.

And there have been some original things on TV recently or at least original twists on ideas used before. Shows like Journeyman (and I hate time-travel stories), Lost, and Rubicon are examples that come to mind.

Last edited by Thomkal : 01-10-2011 at 08:11 PM.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:19 PM   #30
RendeR
Coordinator

But Lost Rubicon and The Journeyman offered NOTHING that was original.

See shows like The Prisoner, X-files, Quantum leap (and those are just off the top of my head) that dealt with the same styling, plot base/twists etc etc of those three.

There's nothing original about them.

I'm not arguing that The Cape is something stellar, but you're basis for complaint seems far closer to "I just don't like it" than anything across the table valid for anyone but yourself. Even your examples of "good" shows. Mutant-X? Birds of Prey? One that most considered awful and another one that many have never heard of.

You're tastes are just different than others methinks.

I'd like to see a lot more fleshing out of the secondary characters, I'd really like it if they dropped the super-hacker geek-tool girl with the Mercedes...I mean christ, if Mercedes wants an ad, run a fucking ad. Other than that the show has a great basis and a Hero-Nemesis plotline that can really go places.

If you try and use the "its unoriginal" tag to downgrade TV shows you may as well just put the TV in the trash =)
Old 01-11-2011, 02:32 PM   #31
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Too soon to call for me. I was underwhelmed, but I will give it another few tries. Hopefully there are enough like me that the show gets a full shot.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 03:41 PM   #32
Silver Owl
High School JV

I liked it.
Silver Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:36 AM   #33
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Finally got a chance to watch this show (had the first three episodes recorded on DVR) and seriously this show is not nearly as bad as some of you made out. I expected the worst show in the history of tv, but the reality was that it was not that bad. Probably as someone else described similar to the late seasons of Heroes, which was also not great, but passable.

I'm not sure if I will keep recording it to watch or not yet, it doesn't really have any great competition at that timeslot right now. I currently record Lie to Me, which is also not horrible but nothing great and I have gotten a bit bored with of late. I watched the first episode of Being Human also at that time slot, which was entertaining, but pretty much the same as The Cape as far as not being anything too great.

I'll give it some more time by either recording via DVR or just catching the episodes in Video on Demand at some point.

Old 01-20-2011, 04:18 PM   #34
Ryan S
Quarterback

I think they made a mistake casting Summer Glau.

Her lack of emotion and her weird delivery may have worked in her favor when she was playing a Terminator, but I just find her grating in "The Cape"
Old 01-21-2011, 03:38 PM   #35
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan S View Post
I think they made a mistake casting Summer Glau.

Her lack of emotion and her weird delivery may have worked in her favor when she was playing a Terminator, but I just find her grating in "The Cape"

I tend to agree with you here. I'm hoping they loosen her up in the coming episodes.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:39 AM   #36
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Stopped watching the first episode about five minutes in and cancelled recording the series.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 02:18 PM   #37
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Apparently I have lower standards than many... the plot is formulaic so far, and I won't shed a tear if it is canceled, but I'll still take it over the L&O/CSI/AI's. The two main actors have been decent enough, and usually it's horrible acting that kills shows like this, so I hold out some hope it gets better and finds its footing.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 03:38 PM   #38
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

I agree with Bishop. I may have had a low level of expectation going in but I kinda liked The Cape. I think this will be a cool show to watch with the kids. I will not lose sleep if it is canceled but I will tune in each.
cubboyroy1826 is offline   Reply With Quote