Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-11-2007, 03:55 PM   #1
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

I can't believe it has been three years. (Venables)

Susan Venable honors her family

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 01/10/07

A woman who has lost so much decided to give Wednesday.

Susan Venable, donning a pin of her slain husband and son, was one of the first people to give blood at the annual Red Cross blood drive Wednesday morning at Tucker High School.

It was Venable's first time at the event, in its third year, even though the blood drive honors her husband former Tucker coach Bill Venable and his son, Tucker High student Billy.

"I am doing OK," said Venable after giving a pint of blood. "I have a lot of support from my friends, my church and this school. Prayer gets me by. God is good."

On Jan. 13, 2004, Susan's husband and son were killed by an armed teenager who barged into their Lilburn home. The gunman, Terry Chaney, 19, a high school dropout who randomly picked their home, was killed later that night in a shootout with police.
The killings rocked the Lilburn community and stunned many at Tucker High School. Since then, school officials have worked to find ways to keep alive the memory of football and wrestling coach Bill Venable and 17-year-old Billy. The gym where the blood drive was held has been named after the fallen coach. There also has been a scholarship named after the father and son that is awarded to Tucker students every year.

In the gym is a framed drawing of Bill and Billy that school officials presented to Susan.
"Bill was a good coach that had no ego," said David Roman, a coach that shared an office with Bill Venable for 15 years. "And Billy was such a good kid. I am so glad Sue could be here today. I know it has been tough for her."

After Venable gave blood Wednesday many of her husband's old colleagues gathered around her, showering her with hugs. Many of these people had gathered at her Lilburn home days after the shooting. These friends helped exchange Venable's bullet riddled door for a new one and repair her damaged front walk way.
Venable was able to return to her home but said she recently sold it. She said she moved to Marietta to be closer to some family members. But it was hard to leave her home.

"Bill built that home for me," Venable said. "I remember how he took so much time asking me what I wanted and making the home just for me. That home had become my heart in a way. I raised four kids there. I could really feel (Bill and Billy's) presence there. But I felt it was time to move on."

Venable said she thinks often about Chaney, the boy who killed her husband and son. She said she prays for his family every day and is trying to find a way to contact them.
Police said Chaney's motive was robbery and that he randomly chose the Venable house after carjacking another Lilburn resident. Authorities also said Chaney came from a violent past. Just three months before the Venable killing, Chaney's mother had burst into an east Atlanta church and shot and killed a pastor and her mother before killing herself. Without his mother and grandmother, Chaney lived alone in his Lilburn home and rarely came outside, his neighbors said.

"There were three tragedies that day," said Susan Venable. "Of course one for our family, and our community. But his family has gone through a tragedy also. I have been able to investigate some of the reasons he did this."

After the shooting school officials decided to use a previously scheduled blood drive to honor the memory of Bill and Billy Venable. Droves of people came to that first blood drive in January 2004 donating 120 pints of blood, said Jerry Ryan, an account executive for the American Red Cross Blood Services Southern Region in Atlanta.

On Wednesday, 58 pints of blood were donated, close to the goal of 61 pints being sought. The donation will help as many as 174 people, said Cammie Barnes, Red Cross Southern Region spokeswoman.

Venable said she felt she was keeping up with her husband's legacy by giving blood. Bill Venable gave blood frequently, she said.

"He was type O, which meant anybody could receive his blood," Venable said.

"Because of that he felt that it was his duty to give blood."

Her husband's legacy

Susan Venable gives blood in honor of her husband Bill and son Billy, who were killed during a home invasion in Lilburn in 2004. Collection technician Joy Hampton helped at the American Red Cross blood drive at Tucker High School.

Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 04:15 PM   #2
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

SD, maybe you want to post a link to the original thread so people know the whole story
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 04:28 PM   #3
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
SD, maybe you want to post a link to the original thread so people know the whole story
Highlighted one is main article. Others are related...

I can't believe it has been three years. (Venables)
SkyDog
Today 05:15 PM
by Lathum
1 43 Off Topic
Two years later...
digamma
01-13-2006 04:01 AM
by Emiliano
16 529 Off Topic
Great Night Last Night
digamma
03-04-2005 10:00 AM
by digamma
11 177 FOFC Archive
*VERY* good article by digamma in today's AJC.
SkyDog
12-05-2004 10:27 AM
by Arles
22 420 FOFC Archive
Real-Life 2003 Tucker Tigers Dynasty ( 1 2 3 4 5)
SkyDog
08-20-2004 09:26 AM
by SkyDog
228 2,765 FOFC Archive
Teary-eyed once again... (Venable article in AJC)
SkyDog
08-01-2004 08:10 PM
by digamma
9 298 FOFC Archive
on the way back
SkyDog
07-18-2004 03:40 PM
by SkyDog
13 244 FOFC Archive
http://dynamic2.gamespy.com/~fof/forums/showthread.php?t=25318&highlight=digamma The run through Los Angeles is this Wednesday. I wanted to..."> My Torchbearing Dynasty
digamma
07-06-2004 06:29 PM
by SkyDog
49 479 FOFC Archive
Bill and Billy Venable Scholarship Fund Info
SkyDog
05-14-2004 11:53 PM
by WussGawd
6 423 FOFC Archive
Kudos and Thanks to SkyDog
digamma
02-17-2004 10:04 PM
by Sun Tzu
30 434 FOFC Archive
Thanks, once again, and some other things...
digamma
01-22-2004 03:22 PM
by scooper
6 208 FOFC Archive
Venable Aftermath Question: Anyone out there personally known a murder victim?
SkyDog
01-22-2004 02:16 PM
by Senator
13 278 FOFC Archive
http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/met...einvasion.html Tucker High coach, son slain in home invasion; suspect..."> Not again! (Tucker teacher/student killed...brother/father of FOFCer) ( 1 2 3 4)
SkyDog
01-22-2004 09:04 AM
by timmae
158 3,079 FOFC Archive
Thank you, all
digamma
01-19-2004 07:23 PM
by Noop
29 669 FOFC Archive
I just saw Skydog on TV!!!!
GrantDawg
01-16-2004 01:43 PM
by The Afoci
35 888 FOFC Archive

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 01-11-2007 at 04:53 PM.
Old 01-11-2007, 05:05 PM   #4
digamma
Torchbearer

Thanks for posting, Ben.

I was actually unaware of the article.

This weekend will be strange for me, because I can't make it to Atlanta this year for the weekend. One of my step-sister's on my mom's side of things is getting married on Saturday--so I have to attend the wedding.

Without a doubt though, this has been the best year for us all in terms of healing and coping. I appreciate the continued support.

As a side note, is it too much to ask to have one article get my dad and brother's names right? My dad was Billy. My brother was Bill--he hated being called Billy. I'm fairly sure they misquoted my step-mom too, because in 25 years, I've never once heard her call or refer to my dad as Bill.

That's beside the point though. Thanks--if you have a moment on Saturday and can raise a prayer, pint, thought or whatever, I'm sure Dad and Bill will be smiling back down at you.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 05:09 PM   #5
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
One of my step-sister's on my mom's side of things is getting married on Saturday--so I have to attend the wedding.
Is it the step-sister I know?

On another note, the Bill/Billy thing was confusing. A lot of the guys on the football team called your brother "Billy." (Will Stewart comes to mind as one who always did, at least when I was around.) I had no idea he didn't like being called that. I probably called him 75% Bill, 25% Billy. Of course, he was too nice of a kid to ever have said anything.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 01-11-2007 at 05:09 PM.
Old 01-11-2007, 05:14 PM   #6
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog View Post
Is it the step-sister I know?

I don't think so. Ashley--she's older than me.

Quote:
On another note, the Bill/Billy thing was confusing. A lot of the guys on the football team called your brother "Billy." (Will Stewart comes to mind as one who always did, at least when I was around.) I had no idea he didn't like being called that. I probably called him 75% Bill, 25% Billy. Of course, he was too nice of a kid to ever have said anything.

Yeah, he would have never said anything--and I know a few people at the school did call him Billy (or Chip)--and we would tease him about it relentlessly!
Old 01-11-2007, 05:17 PM   #7
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

digamma, I am glad to hear ir's been a better year for your family and I will definatly drink one for your family on saturday
Old 01-11-2007, 05:22 PM   #8
Ben E Lou

Oh, and by the way. I hvae a poignant photograph on top of my desk, above my monitor. It was taken after the Troup County game in late '03. It is of all of the seniors on the team celebrating the win that secured Tucker's first trip to the Georgia Dome. Ol' #78 is in the upper right, a big smile on his face. Of course, everyone in the pic has a triumphant look. The picture was given as a gift at the football banquet to folks who had supported the team in various ways. Because of how long the season went that year, the banquet couldn't happen before Christmas, so it ended up being held in January.

As a result, the photo was signed by all of the Seniors, except for one. It always reminds me how fleeting life can be.
Old 01-11-2007, 05:26 PM   #9
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

glad to hear that things continue to improve for you and yours digamma. the whole thing is still really...stunning I guess, to me, even to this day. i'll be thinking of you all on saturday
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 06:04 PM   #10
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Stephen,

Sorry I never said anything before. I never made the connection. I'm so sorry this happened to you, but I'm glad that you have been dealing with it better this year.

Your family will definitely be in my prayers.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 06:05 PM   #11
RedKingGold
College Starter

I read through all of the threads linked to this page just to remember the kindness and warmth from all of the people at the FOFC.

Stephen, it made me tear up to read again how you and your family handled this tragedy with unbelieveable strength. I truly admit that you are a better man than I for handling such a tragedy as you have. Also, to see Ben's heart in action is a very warming thing to see.

Although I only know a handful of you people through FOFC and a handful of MP leagues, it makes me feel good that I spend so much time hanging around with such a great group of human beings (except Subby, he doesn't count )

Anyway, God bless as you relive this horrific anniversary and for everyone else at FOFC who has been touched by tragedy.

Last edited by RedKingGold : 01-11-2007 at 06:07 PM.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 07:01 PM   #12
Subby
lolzcat

digamma - I always get choked up reading through this - and I am so far away. I don't know how you do it - pretty inspirational.

You are such a good guy - I hope I can be half as strong as you seem to be if I ever come across something even minorly tragic compared to your loss.

When I donate blood/plasma/platelets next week, I will definitely think of your family...

Anyway - a whole lot of typing and nonsense from here.

You rule.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com

Last edited by Subby : 01-11-2007 at 07:02 PM.
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 09:37 AM   #13
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I agree with everything Subby said. I'm re-reading the original thread and it still chokes me up. Your family will certainly be back in my prayers this week.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 09:47 AM   #14
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I think this story brings home for me how much of a true community we are, even over the internet, that we are looking back on this several years later as if happened in our own home communities. The internet can often be such a "here today, gone tomorrow" flightly experience, that it is strangely satisfying - even in the context of a tragedy like this - that we can experience the same "looking back" feelings about something like this as we would in our "real world" lives.

We just got an email about a blood drive taking place next month. I think I have an added reason to participate this time around...
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 03:55 AM   #15
Ben E Lou

Lifesaving police dog is euthanized

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 01/24/07

A decorated police dog that was shot in the line of duty in 2004 has died, police said Wednesday.

Aryn, a 12-year-old German shepherd, was euthanized Wednesday after a series of ongoing health problems, Gwinnett County police spokesman Cpl. Darren Moloney said.

Aryn during his 2004 recovery from a gunshot wound.
Gwinnett County police Cpl. Mike Waddell, the department's K-9 unit trainer, had taken Aryn as his pet after the dog retired. Wadell was not available for comment, Moloney said.
"He's in no condition to talk," Moloney said. "It's like a death in the family."

Police credit Aryn with helping protect Wadell's life while chasing a murder suspect in 2004. Aryn and Wadell had been chasing Terry Chaney on a January night after Chaney allegedly shot and killed Tucker High School coach Billy Venable and his son Bill, a varsity football player.

Chaney shot Aryn in the chest and leg. Police then shot and killed Chaney, 19.

The dog was retired a month later.

Aryn received several commendations, including two Medals of Valor, a Purple Heart and lifetime membership from the local Fraternal Order of Police, as well as being named one of the Officers of the Year for 2004 by Gwinnett Police. "This selfless act most assuredly saved the lives of the officers that were with him at the time," Moloney said in a statement released Wednesday.

Police will hold private services. In lieu of flowers, donations can be made to The Cody Fund c/o Community Foundation for Northeast Georgia, 6500 Sugarloaf Parkway, Suite 220, Duluth, Ga. 30097. Read more about The Cody Fund at the group's Web site, gfi.actx.com, click on "Funds" at the top of the screen and scroll down to read more.
Old 01-13-2010, 01:47 PM   #16
digamma
Torchbearer

And three more years go by just like that. As time passes, the challenges and adventures change, but, as always, I try to take a moment every now and then to remember.

This year, it is particularly true--I hope I will be an ounce of the father my dad was.
Old 01-13-2010, 02:03 PM   #17
Kodos
Resident Alien

I don't know what to say. I'm so sorry you and the rest of your family have had to endure such a tragic event.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 02:24 PM   #18
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
And three more years go by just like that. As time passes, the challenges and adventures change, but, as always, I try to take a moment every now and then to remember.

This year, it is particularly true--I hope I will be an ounce of the father my dad was.

DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 04:33 PM   #19
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I can't imagine it ever gets easier.
Old 01-13-2010, 04:58 PM   #20
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post

Maybe I was too vague, but the last part of that post was intended to be happy.
Old 01-14-2010, 04:43 AM   #21
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:

I got it, and you're going to be a great father. He's there with you every step of the way. Wait till you hear his voice come out of your mouth,

Last edited by GrantDawg : 01-14-2010 at 04:44 AM.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 04:22 PM   #22
JeeberD
General Manager

Congrats, di!

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:35 PM   #23
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:

And it was unimaginably happy. And now look forward to teaching Will about the grandfather and uncle he will never physically know.
Harvard Will.jpg
Old 01-13-2011, 07:46 PM   #24
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Cute kid that I am certain will grow up to be a good man.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:55 PM   #25
Ben E Lou

Show him pictures. I've been showing Carter pictures of my dad and telling her that it is "Poppy" (all the grandkids called him that.) A few weeks ago out of the blue she walked up to a picture on the dresser, pointed and said "Poppy!" I'm sure one day you'll get to experience a similar tear-jerking moment with Will.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:04 PM   #26
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

I wasn't here when this originally happened, and then at the 3 year post, I really didn't know much about the non-Hattrickers here. But I'm glad that your family is doing better. That's one hell of a good looking kid!
/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote