Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-19-2010, 01:32 AM   #1
SegRat
High School Varsity

Scary moment with my 2 year old

Tonight we were at the grocery store. My son hates riding in the seat so for the last 4 months or so we have started to let him ride in the front. Well tonight my wife put some 12 packs in the very front and my boy was sitting on them. After a little bit he stood up and walked to the back of the cart and then he walked backwards to sit on the 12 packs again. He stepped on the first 12 pack and started to sit. Only he ended up sitting on the top rail of the cart. Just as he was starting to sit I said Lukas no and started reaching for him. I wasnt quick enough. He fell backwards and landed with all his weight on the back of his head on the hard floor. He started screaming and I picked him up. My wife ended up taking him from me and he calmed down. As soon as we put him in the car he started crying and saying his head hurt. We took him to the ER and everything looks good. My wife just woke him up and so far he seems fine with the exception of the big bump on the back of his head.

Please if you have kids do not let them ride in the front of the cart. It happened in the blink of an eye and so far it seems that we are very lucky that he wasnt hurt worse. The only thing that could have helped would have been better judgement on our part and having him buckled or just let him walk. Please dont make the same mistake we did tonight.

SegRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 06:35 AM   #2
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Very scary SR

Glad he's okay other than a goose egg and a headache.

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 06:47 AM   #3
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

FWIW, from the p.o.v. of a 12 year veteran, every parent has several of those moments. Glad yours turned out to be nothing worse than scary as hell.

For such a complex invention, the help docs & manual are woefully insufficient
Old 10-19-2010, 07:02 AM   #4
Butter
Coordinator

Yeah, one time one of my kids reached for something and fell sideways from the front of a shopping cart, taking the cart over with them. Lucky they didn't break their arm or something.

In other words, I second the warning.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:25 AM   #5
RendeR
Coordinator

Glad he's ok Seg.

This reminds me of a close call with my eldest daughter. She was maybe a year old and in her high chair finishing her dinner. I had taken something out of the microwave which was on teh counter near her but failed to get the door shut tight.

I stood at the sink washing up some dishes and she decided to try to get the microwave door. slipped forward and flipped out of the chair.

I'm not sure how but my arm snapped out, snagged her by one ankle and caught her mid fall. I stood there a moment, the ex-wife(now) said "nice catch dad!" and I said, my hands are slippery, please take your daughter before I drop her on her head for real!"

There are lots of moments like yours Seg, its all part of the learning curve for us parents.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 08:40 AM   #6
BYU 14
Coordinator

Great to hear things turned out well Seg, parenting definitely brings it's share of these. Please be sure to give us an update.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 10:54 AM   #7
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
FWIW, from the p.o.v. of a 12 year veteran, every parent has several of those moments. Glad yours turned out to be nothing worse than scary as hell.

For such a complex invention, the help docs & manual are woefully insufficient

I'll second what JIMGA said...my wife and I have messed up several times and I'm sure more blunders are yet to come...but that's life.

I had just burnt my hand on a pan that I had pulled out of the oven (I rarely ever put pans in the oven so when I went to grab it from the stove afterwards it didn't even cross my mind that it had been in the oven...OUUUUUUUUCCCCCCHHHHH!!!!!!) so I was sitting at the kitchen table with my hand in an ice bath. My wife was cleaning the supper dishes up as well as my 1-year old (at the time) and for some reason undid the straps to the high chair before going to get a wash cloth. Well in the time it took my wife to get to the sink (5 feet away) and back my daughter had wiggled out of the straps and was on her way down to the floor...face first! Her first shiner...and luckily her only one...so far!

After a quick trip to the ER...for both Daddy and Daughter...we were both good as new in a few days...phewf.

Needless to say, it was a hectic few minutes as I had just severely burnt myself and my wife was in a bit of a panic but we've both learned just to slow down and not be in such a rush because that's when little mistakes turn into BIG mistakes.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 10:57 AM   #8
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Just wait until one of your kids eats a coin.
And you have you "watch" for it.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 11:01 AM   #9
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

It's not like they don't have signs on the kid seats telling you not to do this...

shit like this pisses me off as I worked in a grocery store for 12 years...
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 11:02 AM   #10
PilotMan
Head Coach

We were at a educational animal show in our local park when our youngest was 2. He fell from a picnic table seat backward onto the concrete at the exact moment it was perfectly quiet. It sounded like a watermelon hitting the ground. The next sound you heard were all the mom's gasping in horror, a pause next. Then the big wail. We have had numerous head injuries with our two youngest (1 has had stitches 4 times, the other 18 all in one shot) so we were afraid for the worst, but luckily, he was really ok, just a big bump.

Thank goodness everything was ok for you.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 11:20 AM   #11
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

We've become very skilled in analyzing the 'holy crap they hurt themselves' ones from the 'That might have hurt a little, but they just surprised themselves so, don't make a big deal of it otherwise they will start crying'.

Glad he was ok Seg.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote