Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-13-2010, 03:18 AM   #1
Izulde
Head Coach

Ping: Networking Gurus

So I installed our wireless router, a Cisco Linksys something or the other, today we got from Cox. My PC is able to connect fine, as is my one roommate's iPhone.

But none of the three Mac laptops are able to connect. All three of them keep timing out after entering in the password, including mine.

I've tried resetting the modem and router.

Nothing.

Any ideas?

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)

Izulde is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 05:02 AM   #2
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Found this on the Apple support site - maybe it will help.

For non-Apple wireless WEP networks
If you want to join a non-Apple encrypted wireless network from a computer with an AirPort card, you must use one of two different styles for password entry (which one you must use is decided by the network administrator). They are:
ASCII password
If you were given a password that is plain ASCII text, use the double quotation mark (") before and after the password. These are case-sensitive, and they are at least five characters long for 40-bit encrypted networks or at least 13 characters long for 128-bit encrypted networks.
  • Example of 40-bit: "pw123"
  • Example of 128-bit: "password12345"
Hexadecimal password
If you were given a password that uses only the hexadecimal range of characters (which are: abcdef0123456789), add a dollar sign ($) before the password. These passwords are at least 10 characters long for 40-bit encrypted networks or at least 26 characters long for 128-bit encrypted networks.
Note: In a hexadecimal password, the dollar sign is called the Hex Escape. It notifies the software that the characters that follow it should be treated as a hexadecimal number. Other possible hex escapes are "0x" and "0X" (zero-x, and the "x" may be upper or lower case).
Example of 40-bit: $1234abcdef
Example of 128-bit: $12345678901234567890abcdef
Note: If you are not sure which type your password is, try both of the methods above, or contact the network administrator for information about your password.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 08:08 AM   #3
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

An update some time ago made my macbook unable to connect to WEP networks. I had to buy a new router that supported WPA.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 01:02 PM   #4
Izulde
Head Coach

I have it set to WPA2 Personal , so I'll try the double quote thing.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 10:37 PM   #5
Galaril
Pro Starter

I have a different question on email coming from one address and trying direct to another email or something like a setup email in say exchange. Basically some nut case got a hold of the CEO of my corporation's email and is sending emails to him. Our head legal counsel wants to get these emails directed away from his email and sent some place where we can easily collect them in case of litigation down the road. I know we could just block that address from making through but am not sure off the top of my head what is the easiest way to filter them to another email location.

Last edited by Galaril : 09-13-2010 at 10:38 PM.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 10:58 PM   #6
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
I have a different question on email coming from one address and trying direct to another email or something like a setup email in say exchange. Basically some nut case got a hold of the CEO of my corporation's email and is sending emails to him. Our head legal counsel wants to get these emails directed away from his email and sent some place where we can easily collect them in case of litigation down the road. I know we could just block that address from making through but am not sure off the top of my head what is the easiest way to filter them to another email location.

I think you can create a filter / rule at the server level to forward the specific email to a certain email account so you can continue to receive their email.

I know exchange can do it...and I definitely know Linux can do it as I am looking at it on my server right now.
Old 09-13-2010, 11:01 PM   #7
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
I think you can create a filter / rule at the server level to forward the specific email to a certain email account so you can continue to receive their email.

I know exchange can do it...and I definitely know Linux can do it as I am looking at it on my server right now.

Thanks we run exchange so I will have the Network manager see it gets handled. Appreciate it.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote