Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: Which conference do you root for more?
AFC 32 39.51%
NFC 49 60.49%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-01-2010, 10:26 AM   #1
Kodos
Resident Alien

NFC or AFC?

Which do you prefer? I've always had a preference for AFC teams for some reason.

Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 10:36 AM   #2
JediKooter
Coordinator

Definitely AFC here.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 10:39 AM   #3
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

AFC as well, don't know why.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 10:43 AM   #4
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

NFC!

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 10:45 AM   #5
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I know what my reason is for the NFC and probably many people have a similar reason. I grew up in a NFC town, the closest AFC town was I guess Baltimore? (it is geographically closer to Atlanta than Miami right?). So everything was NFC centered.

Other than people who grow up in cities/areas with teams from both leagues, I assume where you grew up greatly affected your favorite team and your favorite conference.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 11:04 AM   #6
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Which do you prefer? I've always had a preference for AFC teams for some reason.

For some reason? Aren't you a Dolphins fan?
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 11:11 AM   #7
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post

Who went to school in Indiana?
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 11:13 AM   #8
Peregrine
Pro Starter

NFC for sure - both my teams are in the NFC.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 11:28 AM   #9
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
Who went to school in Indiana?

True and true. (Although I've had issues with the Dolphins ever since Marino was forced out - the way they treated him made it hard for me to root for them until everyone associated with the move was ousted; the Colts have been my unofficial favorite team for quite a few years at this point).

I grew up in Rochester NY. My first favorite team was the Atlanta Falcons, back in the early 80s. Loved Steve Bartkowski, William Andrews, Gerald Riggs, Billy Johnson, etc. In 1984, Marino and the Dolphins tore me away from the Falcons. I've always loved a high-powered aerial attack, and Marino was the perfect guy for someone like me. Right now, I root for the Dolphins, but I don't know that I will ever feel the same about them as I did when Shula and Marino were around. I'm slow to forgive or forget.

Yes, location was probably a big factor. I was surrounded by AFC teams (Buffalo, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, New England, the Jets). The closest NFC team was the Giants, and I've never much cared for them.
Old 09-01-2010, 12:02 PM   #10
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
True and true. (Although I've had issues with the Dolphins ever since Marino was forced out - the way they treated him made it hard for me to root for them until everyone associated with the move was ousted; the Colts have been my unofficial favorite team for quite a few years at this point).

I grew up in Rochester NY. My first favorite team was the Atlanta Falcons, back in the early 80s. Loved Steve Bartkowski, William Andrews, Gerald Riggs, Billy Johnson, etc. In 1984, Marino and the Dolphins tore me away from the Falcons. I've always loved a high-powered aerial attack, and Marino was the perfect guy for someone like me. Right now, I root for the Dolphins, but I don't know that I will ever feel the same about them as I did when Shula and Marino were around. I'm slow to forgive or forget.

Yes, location was probably a big factor. I was surrounded by AFC teams (Buffalo, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, New England, the Jets). The closest NFC team was the Giants, and I've never much cared for them.

See, I knew you'd get there. All you needed was a little nudge.

I prefer NFC because I grew up in Michigan and lived in Dallas for a shor while, so I have always been surrounded by NFC teams.

Still, other than the Lions and the Browns (because I have a lot of family in Cleveland and always liked Brian Sipe and Bernie Kosar), I pretty much hate all of the rest of the NFL teams.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 12:17 PM   #11
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

My favorite team is in the AFC, but I actually prefer watching NFC football. It could have started entirely because of television coverage, though. When I was a kid watching football, I preferred CBS's NFC coverage to NBC's AFC coverage. After things switched up, I preferred Fox over CBS.

At this point, the TV coverages are pretty much equal to me. However, just from what I enjoyed growing up, I would rather watch a Bucs-Redskins game today than a Chargers-Colts game. I'd always prefer to watch an NFC game over an AFC game unless the Broncos are playing.
Old 09-01-2010, 12:41 PM   #12
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Because the NFC was dominant for much of my youth and teen years, I embraced the AFC as an underdog. That's why I became a Jags fan, I felt they were the biggest underdog in the AFC - the underdog conference.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 12:52 PM   #13
Autumn
Head Coach

I said NFC even though I don't particularly root for any of those teams. But yes, growing up I was a Giants fan, and the only AFC I particularly watched was the sad sack Patriots. So I always had this feeling that the NFC was where good football was at.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 02:47 PM   #14
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Without much doubt NFC.

Like Pumpy had stated the coverage of the NFC has been much better. I always get more of a big game feel when the old CBS or Fox now does them games.

Fox can even make a Redskins/Cowboys game in 2009 seem big. I dont get that feeling watching many AFC games.

Oh yeah, plus I am a Vikings fan

Last edited by jbergey22 : 09-01-2010 at 02:47 PM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 02:50 PM   #15
Izulde
Head Coach

I grew up between two NFC teams (Green Bay and Chicago) but I'm still a Dolphins and AFC fan.

I did, like Kodos, become an unofficial fan of another team for a while because of the whole Marino end career/Jimmy Johnson BS (Eagles, due to McNabb), but unlike him, I've gone back to the Dolphins.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 04:54 PM   #16
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Growing up backing the Colts and seeing AFC guys like Elway and Marino....loved watching Marino once a year...I'd have to go with the AFC. Like some NFC teams, but always partial to the AFC.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 05:00 PM   #17
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Really? football is football. The conferences don't have any effect on things.

It's not even like it is in baseball where they have different rules.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 06:27 PM   #18
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

It's hard to say. My team is in the AFC but most of the teams I dislike are also in the AFC so I guess that balances out.

During the Super Bowl I don't root for the AFC team just because the Dolphins are from that conference and I don't watch the Pro Bowl.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 06:28 PM   #19
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
Other than people who grow up in cities/areas with teams from both leagues, I assume where you grew up greatly affected your favorite team and your favorite conference.

+1
Old 09-01-2010, 06:56 PM   #20
Comey
College Starter

I love the NFC. I think that's partly because of where I grew up (Harrisburg, Eagles vs Steelers...the NFC East is just far more appealing to me). But I also attribute it to television.

The NFC, when I was growing up, had CBS. It had Brent Musburger, Irv Cross, Jimmy the Greek, Pat Summerall, and John Madden. NBC had...Ahmad Rashad.

Needless to say, I greatly enjoyed CBS more than NBC (I couldn't stand NBC, much in the same way I can't stand CBS now...something just rubs me the wrong way with them).

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 07:52 PM   #21
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Love the NFC, and I can't really stand games on CBS, so its a win-win
Old 09-01-2010, 09:23 PM   #22
molson
General Manager

I've really thought of them independently.

Maybe they should put new OT rules in one conference. That would be interesting.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 02:29 PM   #23
MIJB#19
Coordinator

My oldest memories of the NFL are heavily centered around NFC teams. The first games I watched were all FOX broadcasts and back then they had the NFC broadcast rights.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 03:58 PM   #24
Comey
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post
My oldest memories of the NFL are heavily centered around NFC teams. The first games I watched were all FOX broadcasts and back then they had the NFC broadcast rights.

1) You're young.

2) They still have NFC broadcast rights, and have never had AFC rights.

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 07:09 PM   #25
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Started out more interested in the AFC, but drifted over to the NFC with time. Carolina getting put into the NFC West in 1995 clinched it for the NFC, though.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote