Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-27-2010, 05:59 PM   #1
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding
College Starter

Middle School Basketball coaching problem

I have just been informed by the league that we either have to join the "A" league or be kicked out. We were given no due process or any indication that this was going on.

The league is a combination of private schools and charter schools in the area. 3 years ago, one year before I arrived, the basketball team was regularly getting beaten by 50 to 60 points. So when I arrived I moved to the B league because it was clear we had B talent and nobody in the league said anything to the contrary. Plus there are only about 40 boys total in our Middle School. It isn't exactly a bounty of talent.

For the past two years we have not lost in B league. Now, its not because we are inherently better than anybody. Its because I am the only coach in the league who is actually paying attention. Its kind of like I am playing against a bunch of people who are AWOL in an MP fof league or just the regular AI . (Sorry Jim! )

Now in the past two years even though we didnt lose we had a couple of close calls. We tied one game (the ref left the court after the first ot and refused to continue to call the game) and two other games were decided by one point and three points. I would say we have won on average by 10 points a game. At no time did we run up the score and at no time did we embarrass anybody. Yet, I was told in an email that "the coaches are tired of being trounced and arent going to take it any longer"

So now I have to track down the commissioner and have a little mano-a-mano. The first irritating part is I know he is going to try to avoid me because he doesnt want to deal with this. I want to explain to him our school is one of the smallest schools in the league, nobody seemed to care when we were losing by 50 points in A league, yet they are all riled up by us winning ten point games in B league and winning every game the past two years is not because of our amazing talent pool but because we had a couple of lucky breaks and the other coaches are kind of dumb (maybe I won't mention the dumb part)

So we worked our butts off to be the best of the B league, and now in all likliehood we are going to be forced into the A league where we can begin losing by a ton again.

LastWhiteSoxFanStanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 06:10 PM   #2
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Sounds like your team is ready for the next challenge. You gave them confidence now which is a big part of the game. I would predict you can hang in the "A" league.

It may be a good thing for your team. Getting challenged will make your players work hard which in return will make them better players at the next level.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 08-27-2010 at 06:13 PM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 07:24 PM   #3
tarcone
Coordinator

What kind of league is this? The ref leaves and refuses to continue, the other coaches are just "there". The commish is afraid of the coaches.

Wow. If your parents were jerks, I would say resign and enjoy life.

Otherwise, move on up. Sounds like your kids are ready. Just warn them and especially the parents about what may happen. I would also inform the parents of what the commish is doing. Pressure from parents is infinitely better then a coach.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 07:26 PM   #4
molson
General Manager

Go independent, like BYU.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 11:15 PM   #5
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
What kind of league is this? The ref leaves and refuses to continue

+1

At least tell me you never ended up being assigned (or hiring) the sumbitch to work another game.