Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-25-2010, 09:19 PM   #1
dwardzala
H.S. Freshman Team

Audiobooks and MP3 player questions

My wife is interested in getting an MP3 player whose primary purpose is to play audio books. I have several questions:

Is audible.com the best source for downloadable audio books? Other recommended sites?

What is the best player to buy that's compatible with audible.com?

What is audible's software like - easy to use, fast or slow, etc.?

What do you like or don't like about audible.com?

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

dwardzala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 10:28 PM   #2
sabotai
General Manager

audible.com is what I use, but they use a subscription system. You get either 1 or 2 credits per month to use to buy audiobooks (you can still buy them normally). Considering that the books are usually more than the monthly subscription, it's a nice deal. I plan to stay with them for several months, stock up on audiobooks and then cancel it.

To give an example, I am on the premium subscription that is $22.95 a month so I get 2 credits. With the two credits, I bought Coyote Rising by Allen Steele (normally $24.95) and It by Stephan King (normally $41.97), so I saved over $40. But some books cost 2 credits, so in a few cases it might be cheaper to just buy the audio book.

If you have iTunes installed, you can have the downloaded books load directly into iTunes. I use an iPod and am happy with it.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 05:30 AM   #3
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I use audible.com and have been very happy with that site. I use my iPod or iPhone for playing the books. I use the one credit plan which is only 15 bucks a month but still lets me get enough books to listen to. If your wife wants to read a lot of books this may be an expensive solution, but keep in mind that a lot of public libraries have audiobooks as well.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 08:28 PM   #4
dwardzala
H.S. Freshman Team

Thanks for the info. Ended up getting her and iPod Nano 16Gb mainly because it had an FM receiver (to listen to TV at the gym) and a pedomerter. She is happily shopping for books at iTunes right now. We'll probably set up audible.com this weekend.

Thanks again.
Old 08-26-2010, 10:21 PM   #5
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Just in case you needed another vote for audible.com, count me in. I've been a 2-book-a-month subscriber for about 5 years now and LOVE it. Hope she likes the Nano. I use my Nano as a gym device (and enjoy listening to audiobooks on my long cardio days at the gym...not as much when I'm lifting), it's a great little iPod.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 10:51 AM   #6
dwardzala
H.S. Freshman Team

Thanks TK. I think she will once she gets used to using.