Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-16-2009, 11:11 PM   #1
samifan24
Pro Starter

Mad Men Season 3

I think Mad Men is one of the best shows on television. Anyone else catch the season premiere tonight?

I just got into the show the last couple of weeks when I started watching the DVDs from Netflix. I'm almost through the second season now but wanted to watch season three in real time.

samifan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 12:38 PM   #2
DataKing
Pro Rookie

I had heard good things about Mad Men from a number of co-workers, and finally checked it out when it was on On Demand prior to the Season 2 premiere last summer. One episode and I was completely hooked. The sets, dialogue, etc is just slick. I honestly think this show has the best television writing since The Sopranos or The Wire. It speaks volumes that it's a drama and still has excellent replay value (just recently re-watched seasons 1 and 2 in preparation for the premiere).

Last night's show did not disappoint. Aside from a couple of rough scene cuts/edits (and I have to think that BMW's limited-commercial-interruption-deal had something to do with them), it was typical brilliant Mad Men. I especially like the dynamic that's been set up between Campbell and Cosgrove. Campbell is so slimy...I love it.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)

Last edited by DataKing : 08-17-2009 at 12:39 PM.
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 12:40 PM   #3
RainMaker
General Manager

The odd thing about this show is there isn't really an age gap. I have young friends who love it as well as my Mom and Grandma who are diehard fans. It's sad that it doesn't get more press since it's an unbelievable show.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 12:58 PM   #4
Logan
Head Coach

I watched Season One thru Netflix and really liked it, watched Season Two as it aired and I just didn't like the direction it was going...it piled up on the DVR and I just stopped catching up.

Would like to give the new season a shot.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 10:17 AM   #5
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
The odd thing about this show is there isn't really an age gap. I have young friends who love it as well as my Mom and Grandma who are diehard fans.

Agree 100%. It's the only show I can ever remember that my mother and I both watch.
Allegiances:
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
Old 08-18-2009, 04:16 PM   #6
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

My wife and I love this show. Essentially it is set in the NYC that I grew up in. They get the little details right, and we spend time talking about things like how Caesar salads had eggs in them in those days, or when we went to a few of the hotels and restaurants in the show.

She remembers when women really dressed like they do in the show, and we remember where we were when events happen, or can identify the TV show the kids are watching.
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
OldGiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 07:34 PM   #7
kcchief19
Pro Starter

I'm just amazed a couple of you know women who like the show. I have yet to speak to a woman who watches the show. Mrs. kcchief19 won't watch it because it's a "guy" show. Which is odd because the women are some of the best characters and most of the writers are women.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 07:39 PM   #8
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

My wife is a huge fan of the show whereas I gave up on it pretty early in Season 1 as it got way too soapy for my taste. I'm flabbergasted that anybody -- male or female -- would call it a "guy" show, unless they're talking about the male dominated environment of advertising in the 60's.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:40 AM   #9
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Two of my female co-workers are big fans of the show as well...we discuss it regularly. Did Mrs. Kcchief19 just happen to catch one particularly misogynistic episode and then labeled it a "guy" show? Maybe the Playtex episode? Just curious.
Allegiances:
Awards:
Old 01-28-2010, 10:21 PM   #10
hoopsguy
General Manager

So back when this thread came out I had made a note to schedule some time to watch this show. I just finished watching "Seven Twenty Three" tonight and I'm considering staying up all night to take in the rest of this season.

This is tremendously good television and I can't believe it has not gotten more discussion on this forum. I would encourage anyone who has not seen this and thinks that they just might be interested to not wait four months (like I did) to pull the trigger on watching this show.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 06:46 AM   #11
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Because of the rave reviews of co-workers, I bought the first two seasons on Blu-Ray around the holidays from Amazon for $16.99 each (one of their deal of the day things) but have yet to open them. We're still watching our way back through all of Deadwood, but this is the next thing we start and this thread definitely has me looking forward to it.
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 06:51 AM   #12
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Deadwood...

The last episode of Season 3 of Mad Men was spectacular.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:13 AM   #13
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post

The last episode of Season 3 of Mad Men was spectacular.

Agreed...one of the best season finales in recent memory, IMHO.
Allegiances:
Awards:
Old 01-29-2010, 10:29 AM   #14
hoopsguy
General Manager

I'm seriously amazed that the thread for this show was 9 posts last night and threads like Heroes and 24 are multiple pages for each season.

Two episodes left to view. It would be quite an accomplishment for the finale to be better than the "Hobo and Gypsy" episode I just watched.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:47 AM   #15
cuervo72
Head Coach

With this little traffic though the coast may be clear to post pics of Christina Hendricks' chest. Just sayin'.
Old 01-29-2010, 11:07 AM   #16
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
With this little traffic though the coast may be clear to post pics of Christina Hendricks' chest. Just sayin'.
I like the way you think, sir.
Allegiances:
Awards:
Old 01-29-2010, 11:38 AM   #17
hoopsguy
General Manager

If you saw the GQ cover, you would know that January Jones is no slouch in that department either.
Old 01-29-2010, 01:06 PM   #18
cuervo72
Head Coach

Indeed!
Old 01-29-2010, 01:24 PM   #19
Pyser
Pro Rookie

just echoing how great this show is. s3 was oddly paced, but ended with such an amazing, amazing bang
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 02:57 PM   #20
cuervo72
Head Coach

Oh yeah - shouldn't forget Alison Brie either. She is damn cute.
Old 01-29-2010, 04:08 PM   #21
samifan24
Pro Starter

Season 3 comes out on DVD at the end of March, I believe. For some reason Amazon says it will retail for $35 which is far more expensive than earlier seasons.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:00 PM   #22
Radii
Head Coach

How in the world does this thread have only 21 posts?

I just finished the season 3 finale. The final two episodes of season 3 are up there with anything I've ever seen on The Wire, The Sopranos, or Breaking Bad in their brilliance. For once I catch up on a series right when new episodes start!
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 06:15 PM   #23
samifan24
Pro Starter

Season four begins this Sunday at 10 PM EDT. I believe AMC is re-airing most of the season three episodes as mini-marathons this week.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:25 PM   #24
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
How in the world does this thread have only 21 posts?

I just finished the season 3 finale. The final two episodes of season 3 are up there with anything I've ever seen on The Wire, The Sopranos, or Breaking Bad in their brilliance. For once I catch up on a series right when new episodes start!

I'd even throw the episode before those. I believe its The Gypsy and the Hobo. The "showdown" is some of the best TV ever.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 06:49 PM   #25
hoopsguy
General Manager

Radii, I had an identical reaction (scroll up in thread) - this is a terrific show and I can't wait for the opener this Sunday. Hopefully FOFC is willing to have some good Season 4 discussion every week this summer.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:22 PM   #26
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
I'd even throw the episode before those. I believe its The Gypsy and the Hobo. The "showdown" is some of the best TV ever.

Good point. The confrontation over finding Don's private drawer (attempting to avoid spoilers I guess?) was amazing.

After the amazing sadness of the next to last episode, I found the last episode to just be perfect. The plan they form to deal with the firm was just awesome, it was fast paced, it set everything up beautifully. The scene where the guys in London figure out what's up and fire the brit in the NYC office turned him from heel to hero instantly and was hilarious.

Honestly, that stuff was so much fun that it totally overshadowed anything happening with Don and Betty. Though I suppose that's an overriding theme of the series and Don's life, huh.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:23 PM   #27
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsguy View Post
Radii, I had an identical reaction (scroll up in thread) - this is a terrific show and I can't wait for the opener this Sunday. Hopefully FOFC is willing to have some good Season 4 discussion every week this summer.

I'll be here for sure! Dunno if I'll watch it live but it will be on the very short list of shows that I will feel compelled to watch the night it records no matter what.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:53 PM   #28
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

I'll certainly be here, but Monday night for the first one. Will be out of town this weekend.

I, like you Radii, joined the Mad Men party late. I watched season one and two while season three was on tv. Then I had to wait for season three came to DVD and now, like you, I'll be watching live.

New thread or keep this going with an edited title?
Old 07-20-2010, 07:54 PM   #29
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
Honestly, that stuff was so much fun that it totally overshadowed anything happening with Don and Betty. Though I suppose that's an overriding theme of the series and Don's life, huh.

Don and Betty are some amazing characters. The fact that I love the cheating husband, and hate the wife tells me how good the writers are.

Either that or I'm just a horrible person.
Old 07-21-2010, 07:55 AM   #30
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
Don and Betty are some amazing characters. The fact that I love the cheating husband, and hate the wife tells me how good the writers are.

Either that or I'm just a horrible person.

Betty gave up a lot to marry Don. Every so often the writers give us a glimpse of what her life was like pre-Don. The best scene was at the end of an episode where Don took her to dinner at The Stork Club (?). She enters down a stair case dressed and coiffed spectacularly, while the music changes to Cleopatra's theme from the 1930's movie of that name. Evey eye in the room turns to her and you know she knows she is royalty--and that Don knows he is not worthy.

The music choices are perfect, much like the choices in The Sopranos. One episode ends with a brooding Don taking the dog for a walk after a fight with Betty over his secrets. The music is "On the Street Where you Live" from MY FAIR LADY which was a huge hit at that time.

Freddy When she mentioned how her aunt bit off the spoon,
She completely done me in.
And my heart went on a journey to the moon,
When she told about her father and the gin.
And I never saw a more enchanting farce
Than that moment when she shouted
"move your bloomin' "....
I have often walked down this street before;
But the pavement always stayed beneath my feet before.
All at once am I Several stories high.
Knowing I'm on the street where you live.
Are there lilac trees in the heart of town?
Can you hear a lark in any other part of town?
Does enchantment pour Out of ev'ry door?
No, it's just on the street where you live!
And oh! The towering feeling
Just to know somehow you are near.
The overpowering feeling
That any second you may suddenly appear!
People stop and stare. They don't bother me.
For there's no where else on earth that I would rather be.
Let the time go by, I won't care if I
Can be here on the street where you live.

Perfect counterpoint to Don's mood.
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
OldGiants is offline   Reply With Quote