Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-14-2010, 07:53 PM   #1
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

The Open Championship 2010

Set your DVR's. Coverage starts tomorrow at 4:00 AM EDT on ESPN. Tom Watson (4:09 AM) and Tiger Woods (4:20 AM EDT) are the first two groups that will have 18 hole coverage. Looking forward to seeing St. Andrews again. It always looks so wide open, yet it still gets the best of most modern day golfers.

Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 09:47 PM   #2
kingfc22
Head Coach

I'm thinking this event is going to be wide open and wouldn't be surprised with a first time major winner.
Old 07-15-2010, 06:09 AM   #3
Thomkal
Head Coach

well the predicted wind and rough weather has held off so far, and the guys are eating the course up. Rory McElroy leads currently at -8, John Daly, yes John Daly is one of those at -6. Tiger is currently -4 and still on the course. I hope the wind and weather holds off for the rest of the day to give every one an even chance at the course.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 07:01 AM   #4
Thomkal
Head Coach

McElroy ties a record for lowest round score in a major with a -9 (63). Woods still on the course at -6, which is tied for second currently. Really hope the weather kicks in after today, don't like it when they can overpower a course at a major.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:03 AM   #5
Thomkal
Head Coach

well the wind has arrived with a vengenace at St Andrews. Gusts over 40 mph have caused play to be suspended not too long after Tiger teed off. Couple of the more exposed greens couldn't hold balls-you'd put your ball down after marking it and it would blow away.
Old 07-16-2010, 02:46 PM   #6
Thomkal
Head Coach

Mother Nature has struck with a vengeance after the 1 hour wind delay-no one including Tiger (well he's still on the course) will finish under par for the day. McElroy followed up yesterday's 63 with...an 80. Ouch.

Tom Watson is finishing his last few holes in what might be his last British Open if you want to see it. (on ESPN)
Old 07-16-2010, 08:20 PM   #7
Drake
assmaster

Apparently on Day 2, someone finally told John Daly that there's no actual claret in the Claret Jug.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 08:11 AM   #8
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Has the camera work always been this bad at the open?
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 11:09 AM   #9
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauboy1 View Post
Has the camera work always been this bad at the open?

Count yourself lucky you don't get the UK commentary.

I have been impressed with Louis Oosthuizen's nerves over the last two days. The guy seems to be immune to pressure.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 11:16 AM   #10
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Not sure the US Commentators are much better.. on Tiger's 17th hole, I forget which announcer but he said, "Come on Tiger, finish the last two holes in blazing glory..." and as Tiger putted he continued, "Come on, come on, come on..." Really, dude? That was just silly. He was -2 at the time and had really not a whole lot of reason to be on tv; but that's par for course when Tiger is playing.

And yes, Oosthuizen has been awesome yesterday and today. Now he will just be coasting the last 6 holes and we'll have a first time major winner. Good stuff.

Last edited by mauchow : 07-18-2010 at 11:17 AM.
Old 07-18-2010, 12:04 PM   #11
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

It's funny how Oosthuizen is now a player who has one of the best swings on the tour and is actually one of the best players on the tour...... I always find it funny when a player plays above his norm and is all off a sudden one of the best. How about we let him play a few more majors and see where he ends up.
Old 07-18-2010, 12:17 PM   #12
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

his friday round won the tournament. he played in soggy conditions with little wind while the first round leaders played in a hurricane.

he's playing well but they're singing his praises a bit too much. i'm sure there's grumbling in the locker room that he's a lucky sob. but i guess that's open golf.
NorvTurnerOverdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 12:36 PM   #13
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Congrats to Oosthuizen. Too bad he didn't take more time on his eagle and birdie shots to go out in a big blaze of applause instead of... oh, jeez three putt.

Last edited by mauchow : 07-18-2010 at 12:36 PM.
Old 07-19-2010, 12:28 AM   #14
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Set your DVR's. Coverage starts tomorrow at 4:00 AM EDT on ESPN. Tom Watson (4:09 AM) and Tiger Woods (4:20 AM EDT) are the first two groups that will have 18 hole coverage. Looking forward to seeing St. Andrews again. It always looks so wide open, yet it still gets the best of most modern day golfers.

Looks can be deceiving. I was there, at St. Andrews, the last time it was held there...and after walking that course there are a lot of places that balls can go missing...more than they show on TV...that's for sure.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 05:31 PM   #15
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauboy1 View Post
It's funny how Oosthuizen is now a player who has one of the best swings on the tour

For what it's worth, I have been hearing people praising Oosthuizen's swing long before the Open. (My father works in the golf industry in Europe)

There are plenty of players with great swings and no wins, and players with unconventional swings and major championships. Having a good swing is only part of the puzzle.

Last edited by Ryan S : 07-19-2010 at 05:31 PM.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote