Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-22-2009, 06:42 PM   #1
DeToxRox
Head Coach

So what does Manny Pacquiao got to hide?

I am not a Pac fan. Guy is a warrior but I don't think he has a shot vs Floyd. That said, I also didn't believe Floyd Sr at first when he called out Pac for using PED's, but now it sure seems like he has something to hide:

Quote:
Mayweather Stories, Sports - All Regions, Statewide »
Mayweather-Pacquiao 'in jeopardy' because Pacquiao refuses Olympic-style drug testing
By David Mayo | The Grand Rapids Press
December 22, 2009, 7:00PM
pacquiao-roach-22.jpgAP File PhotoManny Pacquiao's camp informed Golden Boy Promotions, which is representing Floyd Mayweather in negotiations, that Pacquiao won't comply with Olympic-style random drug testing.Floyd Mayweather's representatives sent a press release declaring the Manny Pacquiao fight is "in jeopardy" tonight after Pacquiao refused to comply with a contractual demand that he submit to Olympic-style random drug testing.

Leonard Ellerbe, Mayweather's adviser, said the fight would not happen March 13 at MGM Grand, unless Pacquiao complies.

"We're insisting this take place," Ellerbe told The Press. "We're refusing to put our guy in there without it."

Mayweather, in a statement, said he thinks it is the fighters' "responsibility" to comply with the demand his management has made.

"I understand Pacquiao not liking having his blood taken, because frankly I don't know anyone who really does," Mayweather said in the statement. "But in a fight of this magnitude, I think it is our responsibility to subject ourselves to sportsmanship at the highest level. I have already agreed to the testing and it is a shame that he is not willing to do the same.

"It leaves me with great doubt as to the level of fairness I would be facing in the ring that night. I hope that this is either some miscommunication or that Manny will change his mind and step up and allow these tests, which were good enough for all these other great athletes, to be performed by USADA."

Richard Schaefer, CEO of Golden Boy Promotions, who has represented Mayweather in the negotiations, said he received notice from Pacquiao's camp Tuesday afternoon that the fighter refused to comply with random drug testing administered by the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency.

"It is unfortunate to hear this from Manny Pacquiao's representatives, particularly since, as of today, both parties had worked out all other issues related to this fight," Schaefer said in the statement. "Team Mayweather is certainly surprised that an elite athlete like Manny Pacquiao would refuse drug testing procedures which Floyd has already agreed to and have been agreed to by many other top athletes such as Lance Armstrong, and Olympians Michael Phelps, LeBron James and Kobe Bryant."

Ellerbe expressed shock that Pacquiao refused to comply.

The Filipino has been the subject of speculation about whether he has used performance-enhancing drugs since Floyd Mayweather Sr. first broached the issue to The Press in September.

Pacquiao has passed every drug test administered after his fights but others in the boxing community have expressed some doubts since Mayweather Sr.'s initial statements.

DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 01:12 AM   #2
JS19
College Prospect

Interesting to see how this plays out. I don't know much about boxing, but I think it's safe to assume it's not what it used to be. Over the past yr or so I've been paying much more attention to boxing (relatively speaking), mostly Mayweather and Pacman. I would guess that the sport of boxing is/has been capitalizing on the popularity of these two fighters to draw more fans/viewers. I'm no marketing expert, but boxing is probably turning most of their marketing efforts in drawing in fans like me, guys on the verge of wanting to be more than casual boxing fans. If it turns out Pacman has been using PEDs, I'm gonna lose the little interest I've gained, and would assume most would follow. Point is, I see this destroying a lot of what boxing has been working for, setting it back even further. Just my two cents.
JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 01:31 AM   #3
SackAttack
Head Coach

ESPN Radio had a quote from Pacquiao's camp along the lines of "The boxing federation is in charge of drug testing, not Floyd Mayweather."
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 01:57 AM   #4
Bitter Jets Fan
n00b

Quote:
"I will not let my fighter take a blood test the day before a fight," Roach said. "If they give me a five-day window or something like that I have no problem with it."

Shitty way to put the fight off...
Bitter Jets Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 03:18 AM   #5
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

I understand not taking a blood test the day before, for some people, me included a blood test takes a lot out of you. Why not change it to 5 days before the fight and then test them after the fight also? (don't they do this anyway?)
Old 12-23-2009, 07:07 AM   #6
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

it doesn't seem to harm the olympic boxers...
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 07:11 AM   #7
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

yeah its just a prick.... and DUH of course he takes PEDs they all do, whatever.

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 08:47 AM   #8
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Would there be any difference in what the drug test results show if he took the blood test 2 days before the fight or directly after the fight?
Old 12-23-2009, 08:52 AM   #9
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
Would there be any difference in what the drug test results show if he took the blood test 2 days before the fight or directly after the fight?

if he was doing stuff like the cyclists do/did...yeah

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 12-23-2009 at 08:52 AM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 09:01 AM   #10
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
if he was doing stuff like the cyclists do/did...yeah

Hope he takes the one that Mayweather wants, then.

Either go through it to shut everyone up or just retire. He doesn't need the the money anyway.
Old 12-23-2009, 11:38 AM   #11
DeToxRox
Head Coach

And apparently the fight is off for good now. Just heard it on the radio, looking for a link.
Old 12-23-2009, 01:01 PM   #12
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0ruptr View Post
I understand not taking a blood test the day before, for some people, me included a blood test takes a lot out of you. Why not change it to 5 days before the fight and then test them after the fight also? (don't they do this anyway?)

Yes, they do.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 01:05 PM   #13
sabotai
General Manager

The Associated Press: Promoter says Pacquiao-Mayweather likely off

Quote:
LAS VEGAS — The promoter for boxing sensation Manny Pacquiao says a fight against Floyd Mayweather Jr. will not happen unless Mayweather's camp drops its insistence for Olympic-style blood testing.
Promoter Bob Arum says if that doesn't happen by Thursday, the proposed March 13 fight that would have likely been the richest ever in boxing is over.
Arum accused Mayweather's camp of raising the issue not because they were worried about Pacquiao taking performance-enhancing substances, but because Mayweather never wanted to fight in the first place.
Arum said Wednesday that Pacquiao would agree to testing by the same agencies that test pro football and baseball players, but not for random tests by the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency.
He said that Pacquiao still plans to fight March 13, and will now look for another opponent.

I admit that I'm biased. I like Pac-man and dislike Mayweather, and through my biased eyes, this stinks of Mayweather just looking for a way out of the fight. Boxing has a drug testing system in place, they catch people all the time, there's no reason to insist on a different policy for one fight.
Old 12-23-2009, 01:18 PM   #14
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I don't know what he's "got to hide" but he might "have to hide" something

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 01:40 PM   #15
larrymcg421
Head Coach

If Mayweather is indeed just looking for a way out of the fight, then it seems the smart thing to do is to call his bluff. It just seems like a really bad PR move to refuse the test.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 01:46 PM   #16
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
If Mayweather is indeed just looking for a way out of the fight, then it seems the smart thing to do is to call his bluff. It just seems like a really bad PR move to refuse the test.

Yeah, unless there's a legitimate, non-PED reason for Pacquiao to not want to do this, I don't see how he can come out of this looking okay.

Coming from a Manny fan/someone who finds Mayweather boring.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 01:47 PM   #17
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post

yeah. my respect for him is crashing as we speak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Yeah, unless there's a legitimate, non-PED reason for Pacquiao to not want to do this, I don't see how he can come out of this looking okay.

Coming from a Manny fan/someone who finds Mayweather boring.

is there such a thing as a legitimate non-PED reason?
Old 12-23-2009, 01:50 PM   #18
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
is there such a thing as a legitimate non-PED reason?

Even if there was, no one would buy it.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 02:27 PM   #19
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
Even if there was, no one would buy it.

The problem is what would justify that stance if you are a "clean" fighter? Blood the day before the fight? Look, I like Roach, but if both guys have to do it, that arguement goes by the wayside.

The other thing is, if there was, Manny would have already stated it. It looks to me like he's the one dodging the fight, not the other way around.

If Mayweather truly didn't want to fight him and knew he'd throw a fit like this, this goes down as the PR move of the decade. Kind of like a last second basket in hoops. He stole it from whoever had #1. He comes out looking like a guy standing up for the right thing and his opponent comes off looking like a guy who isn't clean.

He played this one about as well as it could be played.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 04:47 PM   #20
Calis
College Starter

This is definitely a fight you'd have to assume would get cancelled one way or the other, whether it is to build a bigger payday or just so Mayweather doesn't have to risk it.

I don't really buy that Mayweather is doing this to make sure it is "legit" or however he tries to spin it. He is trying to set guidelines for the fight. I remember him bitching incessantly about the DLH fight and how they controlled everything, and made decisions. He is just stirring up shit, and it is no lose for him to do so.

Pacquio might be on PEDS(probably even), but very well could be truthfully refusing because there is no reason for him to do so. Why should he let Mayweather dictate things? The athletic commision will do the drug testing like they always do.

Obviously though it doesn't come across that way, it sure seems like he is avoiding the test, we will have to see how it plays out, but I had a hard time seeing this fight happen anyway, although I hope I'm wrong.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 05:39 PM   #21
sabotai
General Manager

According to the latest news, Pacquiao's side is fine with doing blood tests, but they want a cutoff date before the fight when the testing stops, and they are fine with a blood test after the fight. And they only want it done a few set times, not randomly.
Old 12-23-2009, 05:44 PM   #22
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

If I was Pacquiao and I was a pro fighter at his level I wouldn't deal with all that bullshit either. Regardless of if he is clean or not this smells of Mayweather wanting to disrupt Manny's training camp, and it seems to be working.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 05:47 PM   #23
JS19
College Prospect

Can't really blame Mayweather for wanting this, though. I'm a Pacquiao fan, but if he's totally against the "random" portion, why not just meet in the middle and agree to a set schedule of tests?
Old 12-23-2009, 05:54 PM   #24
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

this is fight hype and your all falling for it
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 08:44 PM   #25
SteveMax58
College Starter

This just sounds like Manny being Manny.
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 06:13 AM   #26
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Arum says Pacquiao-Mayweather fight is off - INQUIRER.net, Philippine News for Filipinos

Oh well. Sucks for boxing.
Old 12-24-2009, 07:08 AM   #27
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

I can think of no legitimate reason for Pacquiao to cancel the fight over this.
Old 12-24-2009, 09:00 AM   #28
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Based on Pacquiao's interviews that he's given over here, he's said that he doesn't mind at all giving blood anytime before the training camp or right after the fight. He also doesn't mind giving as many urine samples as they want during training camp. He apparently has a belief that he will get weaker if he agrees to the seven mandatory random blood tests within the 30 days leading up to the fight.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:27 PM   #29
JS19
College Prospect

So, when does this stop being "pre-fight hype" and become "oh shit, this fight might not happen"?

Top Rank promoter Bob Arum says the Manny Pacquiao-Floyd Mayweather fight is off - ESPN

Last edited by JS19 : 01-06-2010 at 11:29 PM.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:28 PM   #30
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

now?
Old 01-08-2010, 06:26 AM   #31
Sgran
High School Varsity

choose the correct answer:
A. Fighters talk
B. Managers talk
C. PR people talk
D. Radio hosts talk
E. Money talks
Old 05-04-2010, 09:33 AM   #32
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Boxer Manny Pacquiao may be softening stance on blood testing - ESPN

I think the 30 day limit is BS on two levels. You don't need 30 days to recover from a blood sample. The question of drugs should be made null due to the testing they do after they fight. 14 days is likely as far as he would go, so here's hoping it gets worked out.
Old 07-03-2010, 06:30 AM   #33
Edward64
Head Coach

Hope it works out, it should be a good fight.
Manny Pacquiao, Floyd Mayweather could fight on Nov. 13 - SI.com - Boxing
Quote:
Representatives for Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather have agreed to terms on a megafight, Top Rank promoter Bob Arum told SI.com on Wednesday. The deal still needs to be approved by Mayweather.

Arum did not disclose terms of the deal, which is expected to be a 50-50 split and include some form of drug testing. The fight is scheduled for Nov. 13 at a location to be determined. Las Vegas and Dallas are considered the favorites to land the fight.

Arum told SI.com that Mayweather has until mid-July to make a decision.

"This really depends, as I see it, on whether Mayweather wants to fight [Pacquiao]" Arum said. "By mid-July, he's either in or out. We're not going to wait forever. We're going to have a fight on Nov. 13 and we would love it to be Mayweather."
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 01:49 PM   #34
miami_fan
Coordinator

Can we change the title of this thread to "What is Floyd running away from?"
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 01:51 PM   #35
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Shameful of Floyd not to accept but it's funny Pac's team decided to accept every demand Floyd made when everyone in the world knew Floyd wasn't going to be worried about the fight. Good move to get PR back Pac's side but at the end of the day this fight is never happening because neither side is going to allow the other to get the upper hand.
Old 07-18-2010, 01:54 PM   #36
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Only reason the fight wouldn't happen is if one of them(Floyd) just doesn't care enough about the money and doesn't feel the need to prove himself.

Which is fine, asshole shouldn't be playing the PR games though.

Last edited by jeff061 : 07-18-2010 at 01:54 PM.
jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 01:54 PM   #37
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

This deal is most likely dead.

Oh well.
Old 07-18-2010, 02:08 PM   #38
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Can we change the title of this thread to "What is Floyd running away from?"

+1

And it would be nice if Bob Arum would shut the fuck up. He's a publicity whore and he comes off as a complete jackass with all of his ridiculous PR stunts. Like the latest one, the deadline and scheduled conference call. Like he really needed to do that. He's trying to make it look like Floyd is scared of Pac-Man (which I think he is), but it just looks silly. It was like a WWE angle or something.