Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-09-2003, 04:59 PM   #1
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Man Ships Self As Cargo

Special delivery: Stowaway ships self in cargo crate
Tuesday, September 9, 2003 Posted: 1:37 PM EDT (1737 GMT)

DALLAS, Texas (AP) -- Federal agents say they are investigating how a man succeeded in stowing away in a cargo plane on a flight from New York to Dallas by shipping himself in a wooden crate.

After hours of traveling, Charles McKinley, 25, of New York City, pried open the crate with a crowbar Saturday morning, authorities said. He popped up outside his parents' doorstep in suburban DeSoto, shook the hand of a shocked deliveryman and walked away, The Dallas Morning News reported Tuesday.

The deliveryman called DeSoto police, who arrested him on outstanding Texas warrants.

McKinley has not been charged with a crime, officials said.

The FBI and the Transportation Security Administration are investigating.

"It's amazing that the gentleman survived. It's absolutely a bizarre case," said FBI Special Agent Lori Bailey, a spokeswoman for the Dallas field office. "Our concern at this point is to determine how this was done."

Officials said McKinley's crate was put aboard a pressurized Boeing 727 operated by Indiana-based Kitty Hawk Cargo from Kennedy International to Fort Wayne, Ind. The crate was transferred to a second plane bound for Dallas-Fort Worth International.

A ground shipping company picked up the crate and delivered it to the residence of McKinley's parents. McKinley spent at least half a day in the crate and broke out just in time for the deliveryman to see him, authorities said.

Air cargo receives less scrutiny than airline passengers in the heightened security imposed after the September 11 terror attacks.

"While this is a very unusual situation, we are fully cooperating with the regulatory agencies, the shipper and other parties handling this investigation," Kim Wiemuth, a spokeswoman for Kitty Hawk Cargo, said in a statement. "Kitty Hawk Cargo followed all current cargo security procedures."
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 05:02 PM   #2
korme
Go Reds

so, whatd he do wrong?
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 05:04 PM   #3
Ksyrup

Nothing, other than being in the wrong place at the wrong time when the cops showed up, since he had outstanding warrants. Kinda like the guy who was caught on the big screen kissing his girlfriend.

Maybe this guy decided to ship himself so as not to leave a record of where he was going, which might have made it easier to track him on the outstanding warrants. Ironic that he went through all of that trouble, and still got arrested!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 09-09-2003, 05:05 PM   #4
JeeberD
General Manager

He had outstanding warrants in Texas. That's the only reason he got arrested...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 05:05 PM   #5
Ksyrup

Dola.

I say nothing, but there's probably a law against shipping yourself somewhere. They just haven't found it yet.
Old 09-09-2003, 05:06 PM   #6
digamma
Torchbearer

A radio station in Atlanta (99X) did this several years ago, shipping Jimmy Barron somewhere. I'm not sure if they shipped him by air though. He would call in on his cell phone with updates. It did not sound like much fun.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 05:17 PM   #7
damnMikeBrown
College Benchwarmer

Who hasn't thought of doing this? UPS yourself to Maui. . .
damnMikeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 05:22 PM   #8
Franklinnoble
Banned

I dunno... unless you're really skinny and can stand being in a very confined space, this just isn't a cost-effective way to travel. Shipping anything over 200 pounds (and large enough to fit a grown man inside) is expensive.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 05:24 PM   #9
korme
Go Reds

i way 135 (and you're also 12 years old will be the next response), so it'd be easy for me
Old 09-09-2003, 05:27 PM   #10
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Shorty3281
i way 135 (and you're also 12 years old will be the next response), so it'd be easy for me

You still might be better off flying Southwest... and certainly more comfortable.... wait... I've flown Southwest before... nevermind...

Anyhow... I think the only benefit of taking advantage of this means of transportation obviously lies in the terrorism implications.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 05:43 PM   #11
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by QuikSand
This is a bullshit puff piece.

Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 09:10 PM   #12
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by Shorty3281
i way 135

Who says our educational system is failing?
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 09:33 PM   #13
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Like a bad spy movie....

-Anxiety

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 01:37 AM   #14
MrBug708
Head Coach

Dude Shorty, everyone knows you are 13 and a half
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 06:37 PM   #15
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Well, I don't know the full story behind this, but I do know the only person to "lawfully" be mailed in the United States was a little girl being sent to her home.

Armed Forces Network doesn't broadcast commercials so instead we get little tidbits of news and obscure facts.

I caught the tail end of this one a few days back. I think it was in the late 1800s or so. The girl was apparently supposed to get on a train to home, but the train was full, so the conductor gave her a mail ticket and charged her a quarter. They even put her in with the mail, if I'm not mistaken.

Of course, it's 6:30 in the morning, and AE's been up all night...so my memory may be a little off.
Old 09-10-2003, 06:46 PM   #16
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally posted by EagleFan
Who says our educational system is failing?

when i read what i said, i saw way instead of weigh, but was way (no pun intended) too lazy to edit it. especially after i had already been quoted with the error
Old 09-11-2003, 12:26 AM   #17
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally posted by ardent enthusiast
Armed Forces Network doesn't broadcast commercials so instead we get little tidbits of news and obscure facts.

I'm not sure if I miss AFN "commercials" or if I'm glad that I don't have to put up with them anymore.

Do they still play the "A teaspoon of water can kill you" commercial? That one was always a favorite of mine...

Man, I remember how exciting it was when we got a video from the States and we got to watch real commercials. It was just as entertaining as the show that was being recorded for us in the first place...

Old 09-11-2003, 01:39 AM   #18
Schmidty
Coordinator

At least fix the spelling error in your signature, Shane.
Old 09-11-2003, 09:19 AM   #19
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
I'm not sure if I miss AFN "commercials" or if I'm glad that I don't have to put up with them anymore.

Do they still play the "A teaspoon of water can kill you" commercial? That one was always a favorite of mine...

Yeah, AFN commercials still suck. We now have the "anti-Vending Machine Rage" commercial pleading with military personnel not to shake the machines to get the coke, because they have been known to tip over and crush people.

Oh, and some base in Germany has been posting wanted commercials for information leading to the discovery of a 10-ton wrecker that was *stolen* from the base a couple of years ago.....apparently the base commander is still pissed about it.

How does somebody steal a 10-ton military vehicle from a base is beyond me!
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2003, 12:47 PM   #20
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally posted by Dutch
We now have the "anti-Vending Machine Rage" commercial pleading with military personnel not to shake the machines to get the coke, because they have been known to tip over and crush people.

Yeah, they had commercials about that back in the later eighties/early ninties too. I guess it's just been an ongoing problem in the military community...

Old 09-11-2003, 02:40 PM   #21
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I don't know why...shoot, I got a free soda today .