Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-16-2010, 04:03 PM   #1
rowech
Pro Starter

Game Crazy Stores Closing

Not sure how big a deal this might be but I showed up to get my copy of God of War III from my GameCrazy and they're closing the store along with MANY others. I'm not sure how big that company is and I'm sure it pales compared to Gamestop but if you have credit/pre-orders through them, you probably want to check.

rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 04:10 PM   #2
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

According to this article they only had around 2% of the market before closing about 200 of their then-650 stores last September.

The latest round of closures is around 200 more stores, coming as part of their early February bankruptcy filing.
Old 03-16-2010, 04:11 PM   #3
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

They already closed out probably more than 1/3rd of their stores before Christmas. This is probably all of them.

EDIT: JIMGA beat me to it

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 03-16-2010 at 04:13 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 04:35 PM   #4
SackAttack
Head Coach

Hollywood Video, which owns GameCrazy, has been going through the same thing. When I bought my copy of Mass Effect 2, it was at a Hollywood Video location that no longer had a GameCrazy, but still sold games.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 04:36 PM   #5
DanGarion
Coordinator

Only Game Crazys that we had in SoCal were the ones attached to Hollywood Videos.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 04:42 PM   #6
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The Hollywood video in my town is shutting down. As is the one in Canton, OH. I scored season 3 of HIMYM for like 10 dollars. All the movies were 3 for 10, and blu ray's/remaining games were 50% off. They were pretty dry already when i went.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 06:09 PM   #7
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
The Hollywood Video here closed over 2 years ago.

Blockbuster is hanging on by a thread.

No used/turnin game store within an hour of here that Im aware of. One opened up awhile back but closed within 6 months.

Tech has killed their biz, anyone remember the old mom-n-pop video stores?
Video cassettes? Renting game systems for a weekend? Snoochie boochies?
Old 03-16-2010, 06:56 PM   #8
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

The last Hollywood Video around here has been "going out of business" for probably like a year. It always makes me chuckle when stores milk those "deals" for so long.
Old 03-16-2010, 06:58 PM   #9
MrBug708
Head Coach

They might have a lease that they can't get out of or one that isnt smart to end just quite yet. They might also have a deal where once the owners find a new tenant, they'll let Game Crazy out of their lease
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 06:58 PM   #10
RainMaker
General Manager

Anyone remember mom-n-pop stores at all anymore? Seem to be becoming a relic in today's society. Heck, I remember we had a tiny drug store I used to love going to beore Walgreens buried them.

I will give Gamestop credit for one thing, I think they do a good job of hiring the biggest video game nerds they can find and keeping a somewhat small store appeal.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 07:10 PM   #11
rowech
Pro Starter

I liked GameCrazy a lot more than Gamestop. Always got more for my trade-in and I found the people to be a heck of a lot less condescening than the workers at gamestop.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 01:10 PM   #12
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Anyone remember mom-n-pop stores at all anymore? Seem to be becoming a relic in today's society. Heck, I remember we had a tiny drug store I used to love going to beore Walgreens buried them.

I will give Gamestop credit for one thing, I think they do a good job of hiring the biggest video game nerds they can find and keeping a somewhat small store appeal.

The GameCrazy's out here are attached to a Hollywood Video as well and it appears they are closing out here as well. At least in Austin, mom-n-pop stores aren't a relic. There are more small businesses in the downtown area than any other place I lived (which was odd for me to see when I moved here). I mean, if I wanted to get food downtown, I could get it from someone on a bike, a car, a stand, a house, a trailer, a shop, mini-mall, or grocery market and sometimes you can find all of this within a few blocks of each other.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:40 PM   #13
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by B & B View Post
anyone remember the old mom-n-pop video stores?
Video cassettes? Renting game systems for a weekend? Snoochie boochies?

Hell yeah, renting a 20 pound Beta-Max player and a couple of cheesy b movie horror flicks.....good times.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 09:11 PM   #14
dervack
College Prospect

My friend works at one of the ones that will still be open here in Illinois. still, he has no job security except o hang onto a Hollywood that is going to stay open, but those are hard to find as well. I worked as a manager for them a few years ago myself and their biggest problem was quick expansion without getting their foot in the door first. No rent is great, but the Hollywood people were mad they were losing floor space and the construction cost was a lot up front for the company.
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote