Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-11-2010, 03:10 PM   #1
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

The most famous eyewear in college football is a thing of the past

Scout.com: The Eyes Have It

Quote:
Penn State coach Joe Paterno, whose thick-lens glasses had become a trademark in his 44 years at the helm of the Nittany Lions, has had surgery to correct his vision.

“I had trouble reading for the last six months, so I went down to Philadelphia to the Penn Scheie Eye Institute,” the 83-year-old said. “And the guy says to me … I think we can fix that up. So they went in and did it. I don't really need glasses any more.”

The ophthalmologist was Dr. Stuart Fine, who Paterno has known for more than four decades.

But anyone expecting the spectacle of major college football's all-time wins leader showing up on the sideline with a completely new look next fall will be disappointed. Paterno said when he walks around without glasses, “I feel strange.”

“When I don't wear 'em, and I put on a sweater, I reach to take the glasses off and I don't have them on,” he said.

So he had a set of glasses fashioned with similar frames to the ones he wore in the past, only with much thinner lenses.

See Paterno talking about his vision:

Paterno discussed his vision at the Penn State Multi-Sport Facility Thursday, where he and his wife Sue were recognized for their roles as honorary coaches for the Centre County Volunteers in Medicine 2010 Boston Marathon Challenge.

The Challenge raises money to help uninsured citizens of the county receive free medical and dental care. Local runners who participate in the Boston Marathon generate the funds by soliciting donations on behalf of their efforts in the race.

Paterno said it is “nice to be a part of,” then added: “Obviously I'd prefer to be running a little bit, but at my age, those days are gone.”

Even at his age, however, he does have plenty to look forward to. And if he chooses, he can do it without his glasses. As if to prove it, he took them off and provided a demonstration.

“I can do everything now,” he said, rolling up his sleeve and looking at his wrist. “I can see my watch. I can tell you what time it is.”

Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 03:11 PM   #2
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
or not:

Quote:
But anyone expecting the spectacle of major college football's all-time wins leader showing up on the sideline with a completely new look next fall will be disappointed. Paterno said when he walks around without glasses, “I feel strange.”

“When I don't wear 'em, and I put on a sweater, I reach to take the glasses off and I don't have them on,” he said.

So he had a set of glasses fashioned with similar frames to the ones he wore in the past, only with much thinner lenses.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 03:39 PM   #3
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I can't hardly stand Paterno but that's cool for him.
Old 02-11-2010, 03:40 PM   #4
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Since he doesn't need corrective lenses anymore, he should borrow Greg "Fossilman" Raymer's lizard eye glasses.
Old 02-11-2010, 03:59 PM   #5
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

Yeah, because he such a image of evil for college football compared to the lollipop lane of the SEC recruiting.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 04:12 PM   #6
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
Yeah, because he such a image of evil for college football compared to the lollipop lane of the SEC recruiting.

My intense dislike for Paterno goes back roughly 30 years give or take (shoved aside only long enough to pull hard for him/them vs Herschel), and has little to nothing to do to with recruiting and nearly everything to do with him coming across as an smug SOB for most of his career versus the past decade or so when he could (fairly IMO) play the role of potential victim.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 02-11-2010 at 04:12 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 04:14 PM   #7
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

I thought there was an age limit on eye correction surgery.
Old 02-11-2010, 04:19 PM   #8
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenEagle View Post
I thought there was an age limit on eye correction surgery.

Only on the lower end as far as I can find. Most (all?) won't do it on anyone under 18 but otherwise everything I find -- from various providers in the U.S. as well as one from the UK that popped up while Googling -- all say pretty much the same thing, to the effect that "there's no upper age limit, pending the presence of other conditions that might impact the outcome"
Old 02-11-2010, 06:47 PM   #9
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post

Let's not forget about one of the highest graduation rates for football players in the country.

I can understand why Pitt fans and WVU fans don't like him so much because combined they only beat him...what...8 times
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 07:31 PM   #10
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

This is what I was expecting find in this thread...then remembered they already were a thing of the past

Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 10:58 PM   #11
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

What????

I'm a Spartan and Big Ten fan, and can honestly say that Joe is my favorite coach. I can't imagine a reason to dislike him. He's the man.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:01 PM   #12
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
This is what I was expecting find in this thread...then remembered they already were a thing of the past

I was thinking this too...
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 11:07 PM   #13
cartman
Death Herald

Kurt Rambis played college football?
Old 02-12-2010, 12:09 AM   #14
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Surprised no one pointed out the irony of JimGA hating someone because they're smug.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 12:55 PM   #15
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
Surprised no one pointed out the irony of JimGA hating someone because they're smug.

I figured it was due to being so unbelievably obvious that it didn't require mentioning.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 12:58 PM   #16
Logan
Head Coach

All hail Chris Sabo.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote