Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-24-2009, 08:04 PM   #101
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I think rather than Dirk's girl, I'd have preferred...

You guessed it, Frank Stallone!

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 08:36 PM   #102
Autumn
Head Coach

She fled to Argentina I guess to avoid a conviction.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 08:39 PM   #103
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

That was an awful press conference. Why do these people employ advisors if they're just gonna fall down the stairs like that?
Old 06-24-2009, 09:13 PM   #104
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekneek View Post
“I think it would be much better for the country and for him personally (to resign). I come from the business side. If you had a chairman or president in the business world facing these allegations, he’d be gone.” [Sanford on Clinton, The Post and Courier, 9/12/98]

“The issue of lying is probably the biggest harm, if you will, to the system of Democratic government, representatives government, because it undermines trust. And if you undermine trust in our system, you undermine everything.” [Sanford on Clinton, CNN, 2/16/99]

Do as I say, not as I do.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 09:23 PM   #105
Dutch
"Dutch"

Agreed. If a public figure cheats on their spouse, they'll cheat on their constituents.

So...See ya!

(Don't worry about the people of South Carolina, they'll make more politicians.)

Last edited by Dutch : 06-24-2009 at 09:24 PM.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 09:26 PM   #106
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
That was an awful press conference. Why do these people employ advisors if they're just gonna fall down the stairs like that?

To be fair, there's not much an advisor can do for a scandal like this. To borrow from the vernacular that everyone was feigning offense to as it was apparently just invented last year, there's no putting lipstick on this pig.

SI

Old 06-24-2009, 09:59 PM   #107
RainMaker
General Manager

I don't follow South Carolina politics or necessarily care who their Governor is. But I don't think he should resign if the people like him and they feel he's doing a good job still. We elect Governors to do a job and that's what they should be judged on. The not telling people where he was going should be the real issue, not who he was fucking.

In any event, the happiest man on the planet has to be Romney who is being handed the nomination in 2012.
Old 06-25-2009, 06:13 PM   #108
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Evidently the pics have surfaced.

The News Bizarre: MarĂ*a BelĂ©n Chapur Photo Mark Stanford Lover Named
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 06:16 PM   #109
Easy Mac

I think republicans killed Michael Jackson to knock this off the front page.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 06:26 PM   #110
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
I think republicans killed Michael Jackson to knock this off the front page.

Careful, democrats believe stuff like this.
Old 06-25-2009, 06:32 PM   #111
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post

Is it just me or she does she look a LOT like his wife?
Old 06-25-2009, 06:39 PM   #112
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
Careful, democrats believe stuff like this.

I don't know, I mean I head Mr. burns and the count were seen in la earlier today
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 07:27 PM   #113
Autumn
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
I don't know, I mean I head Mr. burns

We don't need to know this.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 09:44 AM   #114
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Interesting tidbit:

Meanwhile, questions grew about a trip to Argentina he took last summer. While Sanford has agreed to reimburse the state for part of a more-than $8,000 tab that enabled him to see the mistress, state officials indicated they never intended a South American economic development trip to hold meetings in Argentina. That was only done at the governor's behest, said Kara Borie, a spokeswoman for the state Commerce Department.

I dunno - I sort of feel like state taxpayers ought to sue him for the full amount of the trip then.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 06-29-2009 at 09:46 AM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 09:50 AM   #115
miked
College Starter

I think I was reading that the trip was for Brazil, and he asked to add a stop in Argentina. Notice the quote above said they never intended meetings in Argentina. I believe (remembering from an old article) that they spent a week in Brazil for the meetings and that's why he's not reimbursing the whole trip.
Old 06-30-2009, 04:04 PM   #116
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I felt somewhat sorry for him last week, but not anymore.

Quote:
South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford says he "crossed lines" with a handful of women other than his mistress -- but never had sex with them.

The governor says he "never crossed the ultimate line" with anyone but Maria Belen Chapur, the Argentine at the center of a scandal that has derailed Sanford's once-promising political career.

During an emotional interview at his Statehouse office with The Associated Press on Tuesday, Sanford said Chapur is his soul mate but he's trying to fall back in love with his wife.
Old 06-30-2009, 06:28 PM   #117
RainMaker
General Manager

Odd that the Republicans aren't bitching about this. I mean Obama went to New York for an evening and the world was blowing up.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:55 AM   #118
miked
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Odd that the Republicans aren't bitching about this. I mean Obama went to New York for an evening and the world was blowing up.

They are, his own party is investigating his trips since he admitted to making quite a few more than the original. Of course, they aren't investigating because they care about ethics, they just want his job.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:10 AM   #119
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford says he "crossed lines" with a handful of women other than his mistress -- but never had sex with them.

"I've hit on lots of women, but could only close the deal with someone who did not speak English and understand my incoherent ramblings."

Last edited by Samdari : 07-01-2009 at 08:37 AM.
Samdari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 08:17 AM   #120
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

See I just figured it was like most kids talking about high school experiences (or Bill Clinton- what the definition of "is" is). She only did _blank_ and _blank_ but we were worried about her getting pregnant so we didn't "go all the way".

Then again, the more and more I see of "real life", the more I think it's a lot like high school.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 07-01-2009 at 08:19 AM.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:13 AM   #121
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Then again, the more and more I see of "real life", the more I think it's a lot like high school.

More like some people never matured beyond high school.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 09:41 AM   #122
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekneek View Post
More like some people never matured beyond high school.

I think the vast majority of people get their social structure understanding from high school and thus carry that on to the rest of their lives

SI

Old 07-01-2009, 04:06 PM   #123
RainMaker
General Manager

I understand that Sanford is a dirtball but not sure why his affairs matter to the public. I can see the Argentina woman coming up because it may have been on the State's dime but my theory is that a politician can fuck who he wants as long as he does a good job.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:44 PM   #124
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I understand that Sanford is a dirtball but not sure why his affairs matter to the public. I can see the Argentina woman coming up because it may have been on the State's dime but my theory is that a politician can fuck who he wants as long as he does a good job.

Agreed if he had been quiet about marriage previously. When you go all out against Clinton and defend the sanctity of marriage from gays, you deserve whatever beating you get from having an affair IMO.
Old 07-16-2009, 12:23 AM   #125
RainMaker
General Manager

Here are some of the e-mails from the press and responses. Fox News showing their "journalistic integrity" as always.

http://media.thestate.com/smedia/200...filiate.74.pdf
Old 07-16-2009, 02:38 AM   #126
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Here are some of the e-mails from the press and responses. Fox News showing their "journalistic integrity" as always.

http://media.thestate.com/smedia/200...filiate.74.pdf

I love how big liberals are into "journalistic integrity" when it's clear they have no concept of it at all.
Old 07-16-2009, 12:02 PM   #127
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
I love how big liberals are into "journalistic integrity" when it's clear they have no concept of it at all.
I'm not a liberal, just found it funny how a reporter for a major news network is not trying to get information but spin something for a guy. Or that a major newspapers asks for an interview by stating it's "friendly ground".

I know many media outlets are biased in one way or another, but they shouldn't make it that pathetically obvious.
Old 07-16-2009, 12:57 PM   #128
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I know many media outlets are biased in one way or another, but they shouldn't make it that pathetically obvious.

I'm not sure that's actually true, at least in a general sense ('cause I didn't follow the path of this specific one in the past few posts).

Here's what I'm thinking about on this: The most popular TV news sites have definite leanings, and the stronger those leanings are displayed generally the better people respond to them. Newspapers have an even longer history of having a clear bias, look at the career of William Randolph Hearst, certainly not much pretense about being unbiased there.

It's not even outside my lifetime that two then-competing Atlanta newspapers were generally known as the liberal one & the conservative one & you subscribed in part accordingly (as well as your morning or afternoon preference). That distinction is still referenced fairly regularly today, nearly 30 years after they merged, it's still pretty well ingrained on anyone who was around at the time.

Truth is, I'm not at all sure there's not actually more false pretense of being unbiased attempted today than there's ever been in the American media.
Old 07-16-2009, 01:05 PM   #129
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I'm not sure that's actually true, at least in a general sense ('cause I didn't follow the path of this specific one in the past few posts).

Here's what I'm thinking about on this: The most popular TV news sites have definite leanings, and the stronger those leanings are displayed generally the better people respond to them. Newspapers have an even longer history of having a clear bias, look at the career of William Randolph Hearst, certainly not much pretense about being unbiased there.

It's not even outside my lifetime that two then-competing Atlanta newspapers were generally known as the liberal one & the conservative one & you subscribed in part accordingly (as well as your morning or afternoon preference). That distinction is still referenced fairly regularly today, nearly 30 years after they merged, it's still pretty well ingrained on anyone who was around at the time.

Truth is, I'm not at all sure there's not actually more false pretense of being unbiased attempted today than there's ever been in the American media.

I agree, but I think it's changed this decade. While there were biases, the media wasn't an extension of the party or movement. They didn't go out of their way to spin stories as much or essentially disguise press releases as journalism. There was a bias in the stories that were reported, how prominent they were placed, and what the slant of the editorial board was.

But this just comes across worse. It's not just a Fox News or Washington Times thing, it's with all the networks that have strong leanings. The guys had no interest in reporting news or finding out what was going on. Their entire pitch was to help a guy spin a story the right way to the public. I think that veers more down the path of entertainment than news.

Maybe it's always been that way though. I guess it's just depressing to me that during a time when we need great investigative journalists going after everyone in power, we have hacks like that running around spinning things and calling it news.

Last edited by RainMaker : 07-16-2009 at 01:07 PM.
Old 07-16-2009, 01:05 PM   #130
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

It used to be that bias was limited to the editorial pages (or "commentary" programs on TV), though. Now bias is strewn throughout supposedly objective articles/programs. I think that's to what we're objecting.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 01:10 PM   #131
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
It used to be that bias was limited to the editorial pages (or "commentary" programs on TV), though. Now bias is strewn throughout supposedly objective articles/programs. I think that's to what we're objecting.

I guess the difference is that I've never operated under much illusion that those articles/programs were objective. And I've probably underestimated how many people ever thought they were.

I wrote my first news copy back in, let's see, 1983 or so. I think I figured out how you put your p.o.v. in there in about ... 1983 or so. Was even tutored on how to do it effectively to some extent, and that was on minor stuff in micro markets.
Old 12-14-2009, 03:13 PM   #132
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Jenny Sanford to Divorce Governor: Savvy Career Move? - TIME

Sanford's wife files for divorce.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 07:13 PM   #133
Thomkal
Head Coach

Well at least Sanford has the remaining time in his governorship left to console himself with.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 07:29 PM   #134
molson
General Manager

I hope she ends up with a nice chunk of change (though given her credentials, she may not need it)
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 08:52 PM   #135
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

His wife is talking now.

Quote:
Jenny Sanford, the estranged wife of South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford, told Barbara Walters in an ABC interview that her husband insisted they take the fidelity clause out of their marriage vows.

"It bothered me to some extent, but ... we were very young, we were in love," she said. "I questioned it, but I got past it ... along with other doubts that I had."

Don't think I could have slipped that past my wife.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:00 PM   #136
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Wait? The vows or the pre-nuptual?

"And do you, Mark Sanford, promise to, uh, never mind- it looks like this one was scratched out"

SI

Old 02-02-2010, 09:17 PM   #137
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

She's already got a clothing line, a book deal and a possible Senate run in the works. She's gonna do juuuust fine for herself.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote