Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-15-2010, 06:42 PM   #1
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Chris Johnson to race Ocho Cinco for Haiti

Quote:
The Cincinnati Bengals got a player in the Pro Bowl after all.

Bengals receiver Chad Ochocinco was selected as an alternate Friday on the AFC roster. He replaces injured New England Patriots receiver Wes Welker, who tore his ACL and MCL in his left knee in the Jan. 3 game against the Texans.

Ochocinco reacted to the news by declaring he would take part in a charity sprint.

"Adam i am racing Chris Johnson, the loser is giving there pro bowl check over to those in need in Haiti," Ochocinco wrote on Twitter, addressing ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

Cincinnati won 10 games and the AFC North Division but was shut out of the Pro Bowl until Friday.

This is Ochocinco's sixth Pro Bowl appearance. He led the Bengals with 72 receptions for 1,047 yards and nine touchdowns this season.

I know there are a lot of people who hate C85, but personally I think he is great for the NFL. He never is in the news for drinking and driving, or domestic assault. He loves the game, loves to have fun and is a great teammate. He is obviously going to lose this race and he knows it, but he is again doing something good in the process.

Does he put himself in the spotlight a little too much? Sure.

That said, he also does a ton of great stuff, outside of his charity work (inviting people on Twitter to a restaurant after a game and then paying the bill, etc).

I say good for him. I'd much rather see a league of Ocho Cinco's then a league of Merriman's, et all.

DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 06:46 PM   #2
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

So when's the race?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 06:49 PM   #3
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
So when's the race?

SI

I am sure it'll be during the Pro Bowl week, though someone said Chris Johnson might not do it because he doesn't want to embarrass Chad. That said Johnson said on a radio show he's donating his check regardless.

I just heard that though so who knows.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 06:55 PM   #4
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

So Chris Johnson ran a 4.24 coming out of college while Chad ran a 4.45.

Chad is a lot older now and Chris probably added some muscle being a running back in the NFL so they are probably both a bit slower than they were coming out of college. Still big advantage to Chris in this one.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 06:57 PM   #5
Galaxy
Coordinator

They get checks for the Pro Bowl?
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 07:36 PM   #6
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I would imagine the winner donates the check too.

Al long as 85 wants to win, he's fine by me.
Old 01-15-2010, 07:39 PM   #7
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post

Most players have contract incentive clauses for being named to a Pro Bowl team. Sorta like other sports players have them for MVP awards, All-Star games, post-season MVP awards and so forth. Even players with a snowball's chance in hell of any of those accolades usually have them, save for all but the initial rookie or so, just in case. Those in those cases, they're a lot lower.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 01-15-2010 at 07:40 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 07:56 PM   #8
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
I know there are a lot of people who hate C85, but personally I think he is great for the NFL. He never is in the news for drinking and driving, or domestic assault. He loves the game, loves to have fun and is a great teammate. He is obviously going to lose this race and he knows it, but he is again doing something good in the process.

I am in this same boat. He is an attention-hogging wide receiver, but in a POSITIVE way. Most everything he does is in fun. Every now and then he gets a touch whiny (contract a few years ago? the whole NFL jersey thing) but he's not a cancer like Owens, etc.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:11 PM   #9
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post

Yeah, every player gets a certain amount of money for being in the pro bowl. Last year the losing team got 20k, the winners got 40k. It's kind of why the game can sometimes turn into a shootout in the 4th quarter. Guys are like, hell, I can make 20k more if we win.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 08:12 PM   #10
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I like Chad quite a bit, even if I don't like the jersey he wears. I think he's a good dude, and a pretty good player.
Old 01-16-2010, 08:59 AM   #11
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:

That said, he also does a ton of great stuff, outside of his charity work (inviting people on Twitter to a restaurant after a game and then paying the bill, etc).

I say good for him. I'd much rather see a league of Ocho Cinco's then a league of Merriman's, et all.

I completely agree. I think he does a lot of good and is especially good to his fans that follow him via Twitter.
Old 01-16-2010, 09:20 AM   #12
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:

Couldn't agree more. Yeah his antics are a bit much at times, but when you strip that away he really is one of the good guys in the league.

I think at heart he is just a big kid who realizes how lucky he is to make a great living playing a game and he just wants to enjoy it. You can't really blame him for that and this is just a small piece of what he does for charity. Good for you Chad!
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 09:58 AM   #13
clemsonfan
High School JV

I'm a Chad fan too. I think he's really entertaining!
clemsonfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 10:09 AM   #14
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
So Chris Johnson ran a 4.24 coming out of college while Chad ran a 4.45.

Chad is a lot older now and Chris probably added some muscle being a running back in the NFL so they are probably both a bit slower than they were coming out of college. Still big advantage to Chris in this one.

I agree, Chris J. has the advantage. Although, if they run a 100 meter dash from starting blocks with a traditional gun start, it is very different than a 40 time and/or speed on a football field. Chad may have a better chance.

I'll add I've always liked Chad Johnson/ochocinco. The only thing I would criticize him for is changing his name. It was kind of stupid, but then again, who really cares.
Grammaticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 10:57 AM   #15
molson
General Manager

Quote:

I totally agree. I actually think he's kind of a throwback to the days when athletes weren't afraid to show their personalities. Sports would be a lot more fun if there were more guys like him.

And he also seems like a very good guy, very charitable.

Last edited by molson : 01-16-2010 at 10:58 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 10:41 AM   #16
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

I'll join in on the Ochocinco love - he's hugely entertaining and the NFL is better for having him in it. Of course he's an attention whore, but in a good way.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 01:57 PM   #17
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I'm trying to remember something. Didn't they used to do skills challenges with NFL players. Passing and lifting? Maybe an obstacle course?

I doubt Shaq VS was popular but I was always a fan of athletes competing in skills shows.

NFL skills competitions I remember would be from when DArrell Green played
Old 01-18-2010, 02:09 PM   #18
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Yeah there was that Sand touch game played around the Pro Bowl where Terrell Davis tore his knee up.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 02:11 PM   #19
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
Yeah there was that Sand touch game played around the Pro Bowl where Terrell Davis tore his knee up.

I'm pretty sure it was Robert Edwards who tore his knee up, unless Davis also did...

FM
Old 01-18-2010, 02:35 PM   #20
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

You are right...Davis did it on a tackle on a int return.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 02:39 PM   #21
Dutch
"Dutch"

Prediction: Both give up their checks to Haiti charity and others follow suit. Just a guess.

Basically, nothing bad can come from this jesture of thoughtfulness.

IRT Chad Johnson -- I think after getting through the ego's of so many egotistical WR's, it's really pretty much expected and it's hard to keep hating people just because they are confident in themselves to the point where they feel they can act up. As long as they aren't harming anybody else, it's all good to me.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 06:26 PM   #22
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Doesn't the title of this thread make it sound like the winner of this thread gets to own Haiti?
Passacaglia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 06:28 PM   #23
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
Doesn't the title of this thread make it sound like the winner of this thread gets to own Haiti?

Sadly, I think Haiti would likely go to the loser of that race.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:38 PM   #24
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Chalk me up under the list of people who enjoy the heck out of Ochocinco.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 09:49 PM   #25
MrDNA
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post

Well, there's the thing I shouldn't have laughed at today and did.
MrDNA is offline   Reply With Quote